• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Regimental Headquarters & Whatever Company?

Going back to the TOE topic of the squad, someone mentioned 10 - 2 teams of 5 each. It is worth pointing out, that since the US Army, and I think British Army, have had their infantry carried in APCs, the squad size has been adjusted to the capacity of one APC. The modern squad is like 7 or 8 as that is the capacity of an M2 or M3.

What was first the chicken or the egg ;)?

I mean, squads are 7-8 men because that's the capacity of an APC or the APC have adapted their capacities to a squad? If the former is true, I'd call it bad design for the APCs...

Time ago, I designed a budget TL 13 grav APC using MT rules, and the first thing I had clear was that the capacity must be for a full squad (I assumed 10 men), crew aside. All other details of the design were subordinate to this premise.

I mean, squads are 7-8 men because that's the capacity of an APC or the APC have adapted their capacities to a squad? If the former is true, I'd call it bad design for the APCs...

Time ago, I designed a budget TL 13 grav APC using MT rules, and the first thing I had clear was that the capacity must be for a full squad (I assumed 10 men), crew aside. All other details of the design were subordinate to this premise.

The squad size changed to fit the APC. The APC design for the US Army has to be amphibious and float, which fixes the size of the APC. Basically, two of the squad members became the gunner and driver of the APC. Having ridden in M113 APC, there is not a lot of room, nor is it a particularly comfortable ride. Not good for those prone to motion sickness either.

With a grav APC, you are less constrained at to weight verses volume.

Kind of both...

Squad sizes have been all over the map... I've heard reference to 12 man USMC squads recently, and seen documentation of 16 man squads in WW II, but have also seen squads as low as 5 man documented. Dad (ret. Maj.) recalls 8-10 man in 'Nam.

Going back to the TOE topic of the squad, someone mentioned 10 - 2 teams of 5 each. It is worth pointing out, that since the US Army, and I think British Army, have had their infantry carried in APCs, the squad size has been adjusted to the capacity of one APC. The modern squad is like 7 or 8 as that is the capacity of an M2 or M3.

My original thought has been to base things essentially off the idea that a G-Carrier (or some analog) was the "standard APC" (I might end up changing this, but who knows). That made a squad of 2 4-person fire teams, plus a driver and a gunner, for a total of 10 people.

Standard Kit is combat armor, plus a Gauss Rifle and underbody RAM GL, one fireteam has a PGMP-12 replacement, the other has a Gauss SAW. Two members of each fireteam carries a Plasma LAW, the final two carry extra rounds for the Gauss SAW. This seems to cover a wide range of potential missions and is analogous to current military loadouts.

For the life of me, I can't make the Mongoose G-Carrier work using their design rules (which can supposedly carry 14 troops IIRC) so I may have to work up my own. But I think the basic size of the squad makes sense.

(It's also, for what it's worth, a basic 20 dton displacement to move via ship - not counting extended supplies/gear)

D.

D.

And then another thought strikes....

One other task of the Army Engineer is construction of camps.

Now one of the basic things I've done with my Imperial Army is standardize logistics on the 3ton container found in T5.

So everything gets shipped in a 3ton container or one of its variants (5ton and 10ton) or on a smaller pallet or box.

So when camp arrives it arrives in and as containers. Some expand to become barracks. Some are toilet and shower blocks, there's a mess container a Signals container and an Ops room container.

Fusion+ mini plants and Atmosphere processing might also be added as needed using ship life-support design rules for hostile environments.

There's also the alternative of using the standard cutter modules in the same roles at bigger camps.

This is similar to the modular base concept but its broken down into smaller parts to make it easier to tailor to different units. And of course this doesn't stop troops using existing structures for accommodation.

The Engineers job would be to prepare the site, fortify it and provide sanitation, atmosphere and water. Delivery would probably be best left to the Navy with Cutter or other craft.

Yeah, I've been having exactly the same thoughts! Thanks for reminding me of the T5 standard containers.

D.

Thanks to everyone for the many and excellent thoughts on Combat Engineers. In my own head, I've started to envision a two-tier Imperial Army. The first is the Regimental System - which is the primary response force, with the Battalion as the most basic deployed unit. The Regimental depot has the supplies and resources on hand to deploy it's battalions for X unit of time. In *theory* the Regiment can deploy as a whole - but more often than not doesn't because troops are spread out here and there.

When full-Regiments or assembled Brigade's are deployed the Second Tier kicks in - and this is various Corps-level support organizations which are maintained by the Imperial High Command independent/side-by-side with the combat regiments (and also, incidentally, probably where the "special forces" actually reside). Someone is either brevetted to 07 or one is assigned for the duration, and they command both the whole shebang.

Now, the second tier support is where the regimental depots get their stuff from, and when the battalion in the field ends up being deployed past their "X time" that is also where they are getting their support. But this whole set-up allows a relatively quick deployment on a "local level" when needed by the sponsoring noble/planetary system/whatever when needed, but essentially provides both some Imperial oversight and control when it comes to larger and/or more extended operations.

It's also worth noting that I'm also envisioning a MTU with relatively robust Huscarles for powerful nobles as well as military orders of knighthood that maintain some basic troops - both allowing for speedy response outside of the Imperial bureaucracy, but also providing additional needs/chances for the use and training of general grade officers one enough units get involved.

Thanks again!

D.

Back when Traveller first came out, the M113 was the standard US Army Infantry Fighting Vehicle, and they carried 2+11.

Soviet BTR-70's carried 3 crew and 7 troops each.
the BTR-60s carried 2 +12

UH-1 Huey Helicopter carried 2+ 7 passengers.

Marince Corps LAV-25 has a crew of 3 with 4 (scouts) Passengers.

M2 Bradley 3 + 6 Passengers...

The latest, the M1126 Infantry Carrier vehicle 2+9 passengers (So a full squad again).

Traveller GCarriers can carry 2+12 and cargo, so they are fairly large.

a lot of good thoughts on the engineers, EOD especially given they'd likely often be fighting lower tech opponents

wreckers
EOD
fortification
general construction
- camps
- bridging
- water
- power
- atmospherics

It's interesting to imagine hitech variations on these. The cutter module / container base idea is one and I'm also picturing EOD technicians with boxes of little detonatable sniffer drones similar to the mapping ones in "Prometheus".

Thanks to everyone for the many and excellent thoughts on Combat Engineers. In my own head, I've started to envision a two-tier Imperial Army. The first is the Regimental System - which is the primary response force, with the Battalion as the most basic deployed unit. The Regimental depot has the supplies and resources on hand to deploy it's battalions for X unit of time. In *theory* the Regiment can deploy as a whole - but more often than not doesn't because troops are spread out here and there.

When full-Regiments or assembled Brigade's are deployed the Second Tier kicks in - and this is various Corps-level support organizations which are maintained by the Imperial High Command independent/side-by-side with the combat regiments (and also, incidentally, probably where the "special forces" actually reside). Someone is either brevetted to 07 or one is assigned for the duration, and they command both the whole shebang.

Now, the second tier support is where the regimental depots get their stuff from, and when the battalion in the field ends up being deployed past their "X time" that is also where they are getting their support. But this whole set-up allows a relatively quick deployment on a "local level" when needed by the sponsoring noble/planetary system/whatever when needed, but essentially provides both some Imperial oversight and control when it comes to larger and/or more extended operations.

It's also worth noting that I'm also envisioning a MTU with relatively robust Huscarles for powerful nobles as well as military orders of knighthood that maintain some basic troops - both allowing for speedy response outside of the Imperial bureaucracy, but also providing additional needs/chances for the use and training of general grade officers one enough units get involved.

Thanks again!

D.

I'm using a similar tiered system. I make each Sector a Territorial Command of the Imperial Army and make the Command responsible for raising, training and coordinating the units in its are.

Starting at the planetary level each world as part of its membership of the Imperium is required to contribute troops to the IA based on Pop size and TL. (I like the detailed GT:Ground Forces method of figuring out military sizes).

Say a world must contribute two battalions to the IA and the IA need infantry. Those two battalions become the 1st [World Name] Infantry Regiment (I cannot fathom how the US system of numbering units would ever work on an Imperium scale). On the world there'll be a regimental depot where initial training happens and cross training with local forces also happens. The depot is also the spiritual home of the regiment with the Reg HQ, Mess, Museum etc. (lifted directly from the British Regimental System).

Those Infantry Battalions are Brigaded, that is they are assigned to a Brigade. Brigades may be independent or assigned to a Division. Brigades or divisions have a 3-4 year "Readiness Cycle" which matches up with career terms. At the same time support units are raised and assigned as either Divisional or Army resources. Divisional resources are assigned to a particular Division but Army resources are strategic units assigned to Corps or higher formations.

So thats my 1st Tier. The 2nd Tier consists of Corps Headquarters controlled at a higher level. For particular campaigns Divisions and Separate Brigades may be assigned to a Corps HQ. A Corps can control 2-5 Divisions but averages 3 plus the Army level resources required for the task at hand.

My IA is an Expeditionary Force designed to be moved to an area of operations and accomplish a specified task, such as invasion or peace keeping, but we can't ignore the defensive requirement. When not on active service the Brigades and Divisions are camped or barracked at Imperial Starports (T5 calls this the Starport Defense Establishment). This gives a troop concentration to defend the Starport and gives the unit quick access to an embarkation point.

I suppose to sum it up I have permanent IA units in each sector that can be plugged into a Corps HQ to play with. Of course this is different from the OTU and actually inspired by a HIWG paper on the Solomani military.

Like you I don't see the IA as first responders, local forces and the Marines are first to go in. The IA IMTU is a Leviathan, slow to gather and deploy but powerful and aimed at long term operations.

Hope that might be of help. I'm enjoying the ideas in this thread.

I'm using a similar tiered system. I make each Sector a Territorial Command of the Imperial Army and make the Command responsible for raising, training and coordinating the units in its are.

Starting at the planetary level each world as part of its membership of the Imperium is required to contribute troops to the IA based on Pop size and TL. (I like the detailed GT:Ground Forces method of figuring out military sizes).

Say a world must contribute two battalions to the IA and the IA need infantry. Those two battalions become the 1st [World Name] Infantry Regiment (I cannot fathom how the US system of numbering units would ever work on an Imperium scale). On the world there'll be a regimental depot where initial training happens and cross training with local forces also happens. The depot is also the spiritual home of the regiment with the Reg HQ, Mess, Museum etc. (lifted directly from the British Regimental System).

Those Infantry Battalions are Brigaded, that is they are assigned to a Brigade. Brigades may be independent or assigned to a Division. Brigades or divisions have a 3-4 year "Readiness Cycle" which matches up with career terms. At the same time support units are raised and assigned as either Divisional or Army resources. Divisional resources are assigned to a particular Division but Army resources are strategic units assigned to Corps or higher formations.

So thats my 1st Tier. The 2nd Tier consists of Corps Headquarters controlled at a higher level. For particular campaigns Divisions and Separate Brigades may be assigned to a Corps HQ. A Corps can control 2-5 Divisions but averages 3 plus the Army level resources required for the task at hand.

My IA is an Expeditionary Force designed to be moved to an area of operations and accomplish a specified task, such as invasion or peace keeping, but we can't ignore the defensive requirement. When not on active service the Brigades and Divisions are camped or barracked at Imperial Starports (T5 calls this the Starport Defense Establishment). This gives a troop concentration to defend the Starport and gives the unit quick access to an embarkation point.

I suppose to sum it up I have permanent IA units in each sector that can be plugged into a Corps HQ to play with. Of course this is different from the OTU and actually inspired by a HIWG paper on the Solomani military.

Like you I don't see the IA as first responders, local forces and the Marines are first to go in. The IA IMTU is a Leviathan, slow to gather and deploy but powerful and aimed at long term operations.

Hope that might be of help. I'm enjoying the ideas in this thread.

When I lift my head up and look "beyond the Regiment" (but still keeping with my quasi-British system for flavor text reasons) I've been thinking of a Regular Army, Territorial (Reserve) Army (for high tech, high population planets), and a Colonial Army system (for lower tech planets).

The Territorial Army being a combination of "second line" troops for each Regiment (generally equal to another regiments worth of troops) that each regiment rotates in-and-out with their Line troops, with a host of additional battalions/brigades that really are the planets defense forces and rarely conceived of as deployable to other systems - and equipped to TL12 or possibly higher. The Colonial Army is the same as the Territorial Army, but equipped in the 8-10 range, and viewed primarily as the planets defense force.

Doomsday planning being that each Regiment can essentially form, with it's Regular and Territorial battalions, a solid core of a Division for actual deployment with some additional COACC forces drawn from the systems Territorial Army. (At least that's the plan...)

There's probably room in there somewhere for some kind of "Foreign Legion" where nominally "Colonial" but suitable troops can enlist in a better equipped IA unit, get out and see the universe, and then either settle back home or who then immigrate to more civilized worlds. Alternately, there might be some units rather like the Ghurka's which have a similar purpose.

I've only barely even contemplated the possible role of Megacorporation troops (aka "East India Presidency Armies") for planets under their rule. But that's another parallel military establishment that is likely to some sort of rules governing interactions with the IHC as well as a "Doomsday Plan" for integration with the IA when things go pear-shaped.

D.

There's probably room in there somewhere for some kind of "Foreign Legion" where nominally "Colonial" but suitable troops can enlist in a better equipped IA unit, get out and see the universe, and then either settle back home or who then immigrate to more civilized worlds. Alternately, there might be some units rather like the Ghurka's which have a similar purpose.

I've only barely even contemplated the possible role of Megacorporation troops (aka "East India Presidency Armies") for planets under their rule. But that's another parallel military establishment that is likely to some sort of rules governing interactions with the IHC as well as a "Doomsday Plan" for integration with the IA when things go pear-shaped.

D.

just have every regiment not associated with a specific planet act as a "Foreign Legion" type formation, where belters, barbarians and bwaps can mingle and serve the Imperium.

Those two battalions become the 1st [World Name] Infantry Regiment (I cannot fathom how the US system of numbering units would ever work on an Imperium scale).

if you mean having a single unified numbering system, the brits had that as well during the majority of the Empire. the change to purely territorial naming system happened in the Childers Reforms in the 1880s.

for a polity the size of the 3I, I can see two ways to have a single number system:

1) a single, central office assigns the numbers. when two regiments are founded with the same number, the are simply designated as being all part of the same regiment, with the older of the two getting to be 1st & 2nd bn, and the younger 3rd & 4th Bn.

2) regiment numbers a "pre-allocated" to domain and sectors, so the spin ward marches has, say 4400-4499 assigned to it and then deneb gets 4500-4599. that way, they can be sure that a given regimental number is only assigned once.

When I lift my head up and look "beyond the Regiment" (but still keeping with my quasi-British system for flavor text reasons) I've been thinking of a Regular Army, Territorial (Reserve) Army (for high tech, high population planets), and a Colonial Army system (for lower tech planets).

The Territorial Army being a combination of "second line" troops for each Regiment (generally equal to another regiments worth of troops) that each regiment rotates in-and-out with their Line troops, with a host of additional battalions/brigades that really are the planets defense forces and rarely conceived of as deployable to other systems - and equipped to TL12 or possibly higher. The Colonial Army is the same as the Territorial Army, but equipped in the 8-10 range, and viewed primarily as the planets defense force.

Doomsday planning being that each Regiment can essentially form, with it's Regular and Territorial battalions, a solid core of a Division for actual deployment with some additional COACC forces drawn from the systems Territorial Army. (At least that's the plan...)

D.

I'm using the British Militia model just pre Territorial Army. Each Regular Imperial Regiment has a number of Imperial Militia units attached. They form the immediate reserve, with planetary defence forces and mercenary units liable for Imperialization forming the 3rd line.

My Militia can be called out for use within the sector by the Sector Duke. I'm not entirely happy with this Militia model so far. It gives a home for the "Reserves" generated by the T5, but equipping militia units to the same standard as the frontline regulars is expensive and having them either equipped at a lower standard or with only partial equipment makes them less useful. Still figuring it out.

For your Foreign Legion concept you might want to look at the King's German Legion of the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars.

The HEIC armies were mainly made up of sepoys (I think theres a Sepoy career for MGT or T20 somewhere). Units made up of entirely native troops with officers but with Company officers superimposed on top. It could work very well for nonhumans in the IA.

The way I deal with the Doomsday idea is that all armed elements in my Imperium are either part of the Imperial Military or liable to be Imperialized (e.g. its part of the mercenary unit licence).

if you mean having a single unified numbering system, the brits had that as well during the majority of the Empire. the change to purely territorial naming system happened in the Childers Reforms in the 1880s.

for a polity the size of the 3I, I can see two ways to have a single number system:

1) a single, central office assigns the numbers. when two regiments are founded with the same number, the are simply designated as being all part of the same regiment, with the older of the two getting to be 1st & 2nd bn, and the younger 3rd & 4th Bn.

2) regiment numbers a "pre-allocated" to domain and sectors, so the spin ward marches has, say 4400-4499 assigned to it and then deneb gets 4500-4599. that way, they can be sure that a given regimental number is only assigned once.

Here's my problem.

The British Army never had more than 114 Regiments (thats from memory the highpoint in 1808). Most regiments had just one battalion at that time. So there was no need to refer to anything other that the regimental number. Post Cardwell reforms there was usually a 1st and 2nd battalion that were regulars and a 3rd, 4th, and 5th Militia battalions.

The US system assigns a number from a series to the HQ unit according to when it was raised. To apply that to the OTU you need someone to assign series. It just strikes me as making it difficult to foster a sense of heritage.

From T5 and canon sources there are battalion numbers in the form XXX and Brigade numbers in the form YYYY.

So if you only have 999 battalions that works, and if you have 9999 Brigades that works. But if you do actually have 9999 Brigades that could mean you have around 3996 battalions or more. How does that work? Even if the IA is small its not an elegant or memorable system.

I think its even noted in the MT Rebellion Sourcebook that numbers are duplicated across the Imperium. That is a recipe for disaster when you're trying to track units and route logistics.

I can see how your solutions would work but:

1). In solution one you may end up with regiments with many battalions widely separated by distance and culture. and huge inter battalion rivalry or feuds.

2). In solution two your limiting the numbers available to a territory. What happens when you need to raise more battalions than you have numbers for?

Giving a planetary name to a regiment is purely IMTU because I like the idea of each regiment having its own culture, heritage and quirks that tie it both to the planet and the Imperium.

And just to expand on the system I use when we assign a battalion like the 2nd Battalion 50th PlanetName Regiment to a brigade it either goes to an Independent Brigade or a Divisional Brigade in the SectorName Command.

Independent Brigades are numbered from 1 to 9. So you may have the 7th SectorName Independent Brigade.

Divisions are numbered as 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. and the brigade number is added. So the third brigade assigned to the 1st SectorName Division becomes the 13th sectorName Brigade.

Corps are numbered using Roman numerals eg. XX Corps.

Here's my problem.

The British Army never had more than 114 Regiments (thats from memory the highpoint in 1808). Most regiments had just one battalion at that time. So there was no need to refer to anything other that the regimental number. Post Cardwell reforms there was usually a 1st and 2nd battalion that were regulars and a 3rd, 4th, and 5th Militia battalions.

The US system assigns a number from a series to the HQ unit according to when it was raised. To apply that to the OTU you need someone to assign series. It just strikes me as making it difficult to foster a sense of heritage

their were regimental numbers up to 135th regiment, although the highest numbers often existed only for a few months while recruiting, then were disbanded and the troops were used to backfill other, understrength regiments. the higher numbers were often created and disbanded several times (their were no less than 6 different units called the "96th" regiment, for example).

while a lot were one battalion, plenty were not. the 60th (Royal American) regiment had no less then 7 battalions during the Napoleonic wars. Since the battalions very rarely served together, the convention was to refer to a battalion by the regimental number (so both 1st/60th and 2nd/60th would be called "the 60th regiment of foot"), at least on the field. orders and reports generally listed the battalion number as well (so the generals report would call them "2nd battalion, 60th foot")

as for the "hard to fight for a number" thing, Tommy Atkins fought just as hard for the 33rd regiment of foot as he did for Huntingdon's Regiment, the Yorkshire West Riding regiment, the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment, or 3rd Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment. (for those who aren't experts on the history of British regiments, that is the same regiment under different naming conventions.)

From T5 and canon sources there are battalion numbers in the form XXX and Brigade numbers in the form YYYY.

So if you only have 999 battalions that works, and if you have 9999 Brigades that works. But if you do actually have 9999 Brigades that could mean you have around 3996 battalions or more. How does that work? Even if the IA is small its not an elegant or memorable system.

I think its even noted in the MT Rebellion Sourcebook that numbers are duplicated across the Imperium. That is a recipe for disaster when you're trying to track units and route logistics.

see, the romans had something like 6 legio I, 5 Legio II, and 5 legio III, most of them active at the same time. but they managed to make it work.

plus, just because we only have evidence for a 3 figure battalion number does not mean that their is less than 1000 battalions, just that their is a battalion with a 3 figure number. the 365th could well be 3rd battalion, 6th brigade, 5th division, as you talk about below.

I can see how your solutions would work but:

1). In solution one you may end up with regiments with many battalions widely separated by distance and culture. and huge inter battalion rivalry or feuds.

2). In solution two your limiting the numbers available to a territory. What happens when you need to raise more battalions than you have numbers for?

1) well, inter battalion rivalry is endemic in commonwealth nations, is a side effect of promoting the battalion and regiment as the focus of loyalty.

2) then assign another number block, or borrow numbers form another block. unless your raising hundreds of regiments at once, it's unlikely you'd use up the entire address space in a short time. and if you do, then you could just start raising extra battalions for existing units (some regiments had 30 or more battalions during the world wars)

Giving a planetary name to a regiment is purely IMTU because I like the idea of each regiment having its own culture, heritage and quirks that tie it both to the planet and the Imperium.

And just to expand on the system I use when we assign a battalion like the 2nd Battalion 50th PlanetName Regiment to a brigade it either goes to an Independent Brigade or a Divisional Brigade in the SectorName Command.

Independent Brigades are numbered from 1 to 9. So you may have the 7th SectorName Independent Brigade.

Divisions are numbered as 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc. and the brigade number is added. So the third brigade assigned to the 1st SectorName Division becomes the 13th sectorName Brigade.

Corps are numbered using Roman numerals eg. XX Corps.

oh, I'm british army myself, so I totally dig the preference to have the 2nd/50th (Ball of Dirt) regiment.

historically, I know the soviets used Independent Tank Brigades as part of their infantry armies (they were "Independent Brigades" in the sense they were not subordinate to a division).

as for the "hard to fight for a number" thing, Tommy Atkins fought just as hard for the 33rd regiment of foot as he did for Huntingdon's Regiment, the Yorkshire West Riding regiment, the Duke of Wellingtons Regiment, or 3rd Battalion, The Yorkshire Regiment. (for those who aren't experts on the history of British regiments, that is the same regiment under different naming conventions.)

I think they just fought for the havercakes :rofl: Yumm!

True there's probably no benefit as far as internal moral and fighting spirit goes because at the end of the day you fight for your pals. But there is the political element that people have an emotional attachment to "their" regiment. Just look at the cap badge retention issue in the British Army.

plus, just because we only have evidence for a 3 figure battalion number does not mean that their is less than 1000 battalions, just that their is a battalion with a 3 figure number. the 365th could well be 3rd battalion, 6th brigade, 5th division, as you talk about below.

Okay thats true. Perhaps I'm just having a gut reaction to the sterility of the three figure battalion number.

Its probable that every unit will have a barcode or the equivalent of an IP address to identify and track it.

historically, I know the soviets used Independent Tank Brigades as part of their infantry armies (they were "Independent Brigades" in the sense they were not subordinate to a division).

Yes in my scheme the independent Brigades are not part of a division and are elite status or have special capabilities. Like the US Separate Brigade they could be used to reinforce a division or corps.

Okay thats true. Perhaps I'm just having a gut reaction to the sterility of the three figure battalion number.

If you do not like it, then research the Pentomic Division structure of the US Army in the 1950s, which was based on a smaller division of 5 reinforced battalions operating as battle groups.

Yes in my scheme the independent Brigades are not part of a division and are elite status or have special capabilities. Like the US Separate Brigade they could be used to reinforce a division or corps.

The Japanese in World War 2 used a lot of independent brigades and had several difference structures for them. The Russians, besides the independent tank brigades, which could be standard T-34 or heavy KV-1 or Stalin tanks, had independent artillery brigades and divisions which were used to reinforce major attacks. The Russian infantry division in World War 2 was one of the smallest.

Is there any interest in the posting or providing in PDF format some actual historical Tables of Organization and Equipment from the 1960s going back? Or is the consensus view that those would have little relevance for Traveller?

Is there any interest in the posting or providing in PDF format some actual historical Tables of Organization and Equipment from the 1960s going back? Or is the consensus view that those would have little relevance for Traveller?

I'd love to see them!

D.

I think they'd be useful as apart from anything else they'd show what categories of support unit need to be considered.

Back