• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Reinventing Traveller

Seven hundred thousand cubic centimetres.

And since you don't need streamlining in space, that could be a rectangle forty by forty by four hundred thirty seven and a half centimetres.

And the issue with Traveller missiles is that they are magic of the Gandalf level. A 50kg missile cannot have the performance that is attributed to them in most versions of the rules.
By reaction alone, no.

Fortunately we aren’t constrained by that.

It’s not the performance aspect that troubles me, it’s the cheapness….

By reaction alone, no.

How would you propel a 50kg missile? How would you power the propulsion system? I don't think a grav motor that small could do anything except lift against planetary gravity like air/raft, and I don't think a 50kg power plant could do much either.

Honorverse has ship to ship missiles about right. They are the size of ICBMs and they carry bomb-pumped xray lasers rather than kinetic/explosive kill warheads.

By reaction alone, no.

Even the magic maneuver drive and handwavium batteries wouldn't give a 50kg missile 6g acceleration for 1000 (or 6000 seconds, depending on the interpretation of the meaning of 6g6).

For the 1000s interpretation - 50kg at 60km/s has a kinetic energy of 90GJ, the battery will have to contain more energy as some will be lost so let's just round up to 100GJ

For the 6000s interpretation it is even worse - 3.24TJ.

Now a room temperature gravitic catalysed damper facilitated micro fusion reactor may be small enough to go in a vehicle, but a 50kg missile? If you can power a missile for that long why not use the same tech to power battledress, or VRF gauss guns, or mass drivers, or energy weapons?

Last edited:
They can not be chemical or even nuclear rockets, nor can they be grav since they wouldn't work beyond 1000D. So how does a 50kg missile store all that energy that it then turns into movement, and how does it move.
And why can't this technology be used elsewhere?

It would be interesting to see something in the vein of Traveller, except designed from the ground up, just for academic sake if nothing else.

Fuel is two and a half percent, per factor, per hour.

Current reactionary rockets are two percent volume, per factor.

So default would be four and a half percent of volume, for an hour, per factor.

In theory, for a tad under half volume, you could accelerate a rocket at eleven gees for an hour.

How would you propel a 50kg missile? How would you power the propulsion system? I don't think a grav motor that small could do anything except lift against planetary gravity like air/raft, and I don't think a 50kg power plant could do much either.

Honorverse has ship to ship missiles about right. They are the size of ICBMs and they carry bomb-pumped xray lasers rather than kinetic/explosive kill warheads.
Far as that is concerned, LBB8 has micro fusion and mini grav for robots, so there are models for it.

Apparently, the same fuel that can punch a hole through the fabric of reality.
No, the fuel used in the jump drive is at least a massive energy store that releases a huge amount of said energy via a rather massive reactor (the power plant and the jump drive). How do you get all of that fuel and energy in a 50kg package?

Why not use the missile fuel to power jumps?

Back