• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Revised CT?

Originally posted by Andy Fralix:

Traveller was the answer to D&D (in all its versions) for those of us who wanted the same kind of game without the fantacsy stuff. I want an online Traveller universe where I can play an hour or two when I have the time and not have to figure how to get someone else interested so I can have someone to play with. Somewhere I can work toward being my own character or submit an idea for a senario to the programmers but not be required to be at a certain place at a certain time in order to play.
Sigh... that was what I wanted Traveller On-Line to be like...

Also IRC/IM chat. Personally chat play comes the closest to ftf since it's real time but is harder to schedule. You don't have to worry about game updates or system requirements and a live GM can improv on the fly. No monthly fees either.

As for why it's not happened...well as an example Warhammer Online was recently canceled for not being seen as viable and Warhammer is very big compared to the average pen & paper RPG these days. MMORPGs are at a totally different level of funding and number of players than pen & paper RPGs.

<shrugs> I don't play any MMORPGs personally as ftf/chat is immersive enough. Cheaper and more social as well.

Originally posted by Casey:

<shrugs> I don't play any MMORPGs personally as ftf/chat is immersive enough. Cheaper and more social as well.
I bought a Warhammer 40K army while I was an assisstant scoutmaster of a troop ofBoy Scouts of America. 10 of the boys played so I had games with them. Then I got married and moved 80 Miles away and have no gamesworkshop within 25 miles and no time to play. :(

Posting here I can do at home or at work. And building an army costs much more than this. :cool:

IRC Chat is excellent... many clients carry voice and video as well, I believe.

Perhaps an adjunct peer-to-peer program, as a game aid to chatline rpg'ing. Sorta like the online dice roller webpage.

Originally posted by cweiskircher:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Casey:
I bought a Warhammer 40K army while I was an assisstant scoutmaster of a troop ofBoy Scouts of America. 10 of the boys played so I had games with them. Then I got married and moved 80 Miles away and have no gamesworkshop within 25 miles and no time to play. :(

Posting here I can do at home or at work. And building an army costs much more than this. :cool:
</font>[/QUOTE]Yes WHFB/WH40K can cost a lot*. I mentioned Warhammer only due to the fact that the MMORPG version has recently been canceled and even WHFB sells much better than most pen & paper RPGs. So if something that's arguably more popular than Traveller these days can't be deemed viable as a MMORPG at this time I'm not surprised there's no Traveller MMORPG.

In the above quote from my previous post I was referring to playing a pen and paper RPG, either across the tabletop or online via email, PBP, or IRC/chat as being cheaper than playing a MMORPG. For most pen & paper rpgs I need only 1 or 2 books to play with no monthly fee. I find them immersive enough but not overly so (which is a good thing) and more social.

As always YMMV.
Casey

* though you can play the game or a "lunch break" version, esp. WH40K, with more or less just the boxed set. Me I prefer 15mm historicals.

Originally posted by Flynn:
Now that I've said that I don't mind seeing updates to any of these methods, let me iterate a few points about what I would want to see.

</font>
  • I want a game that I can play Sci-Fi and have a good time doing so. If I have to choose between realism and playability, realism goes out the window. Traveller is a game, not a simulation. In the Real World, I can't go to far away planets and live on them. The possibilities are far too unlikely, according to modern science. That's no fun to me.</font>
  • I want worlds that make sense within the context of the above. I'm okay with inconsistent stellar types and world size vs atmosphere, etc., because I want a universe I can play in, where adventures can happen. I do not want dissertations on the correctness of astrography and astronomy IMTU. I can't play in that kind of milieu very well. If realism stops me from playing the Golden Age Sci-Fi flavor I enjoy from Traveller, I'd prefer that whatever level of realism robs me of that fun stays outside and didn't enter into my game room.</font>
  • My game's rule set doesn't have to painstakingly simulate the Real World, on any level (economics, FTL travel, legal systems, etc.) Some realism is cool, and necessary for suspension of disbelief, but complexity and fun are not always good bedfellows.</font>
  • I'm all for a CT/T20 crossover product, as I like the flavor that Hunter has maintained in T20, and I'm sure it will continue in CTR. I honestly feel Hunter has first and foremost the goal of preserving the flavor of Traveller in mind with his work. He proved it to me in T20, and I'm certain he'll prove it again in CTR.</font>
Now, that being said, people can do whatever they want to the rules at their own gaming table. If I don't like what's in print, I can change it for my game, and I won't be arrested by the Purist Police. So can anyone else, for that matter. (Gamers are pretty versatile that way).

Me, I'm looking forward to what Hunter has proposed. If I like it, I'll use it. If I don't, I'll still buy it to support Traveller, and then use the pieces I want from it, leaving the rest behind. No big deal.

Pitching in two more credits,
Flynn
I know this idea has been shelved and the thread is long dead, but I'm just now reading it, and ding, dang it! I agree completely with Flynn here! The idea behind this CT+ or Revised CT, or Advanced CT is (not was...is) a great one. I think I liked every bit of what Hunter was proposing. Although, I might quibble with the names of the tasks, or a detail of this or that...those of you who know me from the TML know I tend to quibble about *any* system details, even ones I come up with (I've got at least two task systems named after me and I quibble with both of them!
)...but the whole *dang* idea is an absolutely great one!

Hunter, if you don't follow through on this, and I guess you aren't because of Marc's T5 project, then... Well, *somebody* should!

Eris,
The Heretic!

Back