• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Scout/Courier Deckplan Breakdown

serpant - CD deck plan

Point of order;
On the CD with the Serpent deck plans, I drew them. The originals were on a 1 meter grid. All I did was convert them to 1.5 meter and the tonnage worked out almost perfectly. At that point in time, I did not do a longitudinal section or a horizontal section to check head room and such. If I recall, I thought that the cabins would end up with curved outside ceilings. :CoW:

Point of order;
On the CD with the Serpent deck plans, I drew them. The originals were on a 1 meter grid. All I did was convert them to 1.5 meter and the tonnage worked out almost perfectly. At that point in time, I did not do a longitudinal section or a horizontal section to check head room and such. If I recall, I thought that the cabins would end up with curved outside ceilings. :CoW:

Starting from the given dimensions in S&A....

If you scale up the width and length but not the height, it *might* hit the top end of the acceptable range for a 100 dton hull, since it is an airframe and not a simple ovoid cylinder, but you get a hull cross section that is more than twice as wide as it is high, and any lower deck flattening you do to regain more of the floor space just drives the volume back up. The simple ovoid is 170 dtons, and you'll be pressed to shave 50 dtons off of that even with the narrowing hull aft.

Scaling up the entire hull by 1.5 gives a roughly 200 dton result after airframe shaving.

Using the original dimensions gives a simple ovoid of only 75 dtons or so; airframe shaving will take more off of that, leaving the original as written a shade larger than a Cutter...

pluggin in the as-drawn-in-JTAS version, and drawing it out in sketchup, it's only about 1600kl using 1.5m squares...

pluggin in the as-drawn-in-JTAS version, and drawing it out in sketchup, it's only about 1600kl using 1.5m squares...

The JTAS version is slightly stubbier, but only slightly.
An elliptic cylinder using the *tail* dimensions (9m across by 6m high) is 1900m3 all by itself. That is ignoring the wings and the wider midsection vs the aero nose and the tapered underside of the tail, which won't cancel out.

Using another approximation on the upper deck, of assuming that the roof taper removes a full row of squares around the edges on average, and more across the nose still leaves a volume of 5x25 squares up the middle, about 8 dtons of heavily tapered nose, and a little padding amidships, for roughly 83 dtons. That's just one deck. The lower deck, even if it loses two on each side across the middle, is still 50 dtons or more.

To put the JTAS version in perspective, the widest point of the hull is 12m (~40 feet) across. The passenger cabin of a 747 isn't that wide.

Gypsy - I set the upper deck width as the midline, and the height as shown, giving a 12x7 ellipse at the forward cabin. I let sketchup calculate, including the wings, but not the engine flare (just the oval back)... came up to 1594, counting oversizing it slightly. (I wound up with the grid at 1.6m rather than 1.5... scaled it slightly wrong.) So, adding the engine room flare... it should still be within bounds for a 100Td deckplan, per the ±20% rule in CT (TTB), which means it can be 1120-1680 final

Starting from the given dimensions in S&A....

If you scale up the width and length but not the height, it *might* hit the top end of the acceptable range for a 100 dton hull, since it is an airframe and not a simple ovoid cylinder, but you get a hull cross section that is more than twice as wide as it is high, and any lower deck flattening you do to regain more of the floor space just drives the volume back up. The simple ovoid is 170 dtons, and you'll be pressed to shave 50 dtons off of that even with the narrowing hull aft.

Scaling up the entire hull by 1.5 gives a roughly 200 dton result after airframe shaving.

Using the original dimensions gives a simple ovoid of only 75 dtons or so; airframe shaving will take more off of that, leaving the original as written a shade larger than a Cutter...

Sorry, A misunderstanding, I figured out that the original had 1 meter grid on the deck plan so I changed the grid to 1.5 meter the dimensions were left the same as the original. Also I believe that I included the wings in my calculations.

Sorry, A misunderstanding, I figured out that the original had 1 meter grid on the deck plan so I changed the grid to 1.5 meter the dimensions were left the same as the original. Also I believe that I included the wings in my calculations.

So a re-gridded version of the Paranoia Press version, instead of the JTAS version which used the same grid and called it 1.5m instead of 1m? That will need a lot of bulk in the wings to bring it up to 100 dtons, but it could work, especially if you discard the stated fuselage height and use 6m.

We always figured that the grid was as specified, and that the fuselage was nearly circular - with fuel tanks above and below the livable spaces and even a little on the sides (except for in the cargo hatch and the airlock door).

Thus there was indeed extra volume above that on the floor-plan.

Heh. There's a reason why the Golden Gryphon, my only essay into deckplans, was a box configuration.

Hans

Back