• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Silishii class liner - Type RS

Well, it's actually a matter of the numbers, Dan. It's for an alien species, with an odd mathematics, so the base number is an odd bit in meters, and the dimensions are slightly abnormal.

I think I will just fudge it down to 1000dT, though. You wouldn't believe how annoying it is to calculate engines and fuel for 1024dT.... (204.8 dT for jump fuel, for example.
file_28.gif
)

Fritz, the dT is defined as 14m^3 in every version of Traveller except one - MT being the odd one out ;)

If its for an alien ship why use standard deck plan squares at all?

Great fun can be had using a hex map to map an alien ship...

Actually, Sigg, LBB5 mentions 13.5m^3, as well. I like it partly because it gets you more squares to the dT (just like your suggestion ;) ).

A hex map might throw off others wanting to use this (other) design. This races own maps would use hexagons, mind you.... ;)

Originally posted by flykiller:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />flykiller, does it need another pilot?
by the rules, no. just common sense. what happens to all those passengers if the single pilot gets sick or dies? even if he's OK he'll be spending many hours stuck in that pilot's chair without a break, plus he'll be pulling simultaneous double-duty as ship's de-facto captain. the workload is simply too great.

by the way, book 5 never specifies a pilot manning requirement. neither does book 2, except to say one must be present. unless I'm missing something.
</font>[/QUOTE]As a point of interest, did you realize that most pilots work less than 8 hours per week. They fly from the world to the jump point, rest for a week in jump space, fly from the jump point to the next world, then rest for another week. And the pilot is the highest paid member of the crew! Must be a Union thing.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />The 10-20% guideline ... is not for the actual tonnage but for deckplan depiction of that tonnage (and it's still a cop-out imo).
when I've done deckplans I've made a point of always adhering as exactly as possible to the actual dtonnage. yes, it can be done, but the cabins and spaces wind up being very cramped. 4 dtons per cabin just isn't enough. I've found that if the dtonnages are followed exactly for component installation but that deckplans are allowed to be 110% to 120% to allow for corridors, lounges, and other non-performance items, the plans look much better and are much more suitable for a role-playing game while still following the spirit of the rules. </font>[/QUOTE]One thing that helps is to design the floor plans with a 1 meter grid and then transfer them to a 1.5 meter grid. The larger grid tends to encourage oversized corridors. A 1.5 m hall is over 58 inches wide. A 1 meter corridor is 39 inches wide. A wheelchair or a person in a NASA spacesuit requires less than 36 inches and a handicapped ramp is only 44 inches wide. Do most ships really need to be designed for crowds of over 50 people or two wheelchairs passing each other?

I have some examples here:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/deckplans/files/Liberty%20Industries/

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />It still doesn't explain them all though (the A2 specifically leaps to mind).
the A2 is probably best explained by a looming deadline and the hope that no-one would notice .... </font>[/QUOTE]Along the same line, does anyone know of a deck plan for a Scout ship that will actually fit within the hull? I am curious what it might look like but I have been too busy to create one.

Do most ships really need to be designed for crowds of over 50 people or two wheelchairs passing eachother?
humans walking about in an upright position at all is an inefficient use of space. since traveller ships have full control over their internal gravity, one could replace all corridors with shafts, large enough to pass a human lengthwise. it would save a huge amount of space. at the least it would make a nice alien ship for an in-game encounter.
Along the same line, does anyone know of a deck plan for a Scout ship that will actually fit within the hull?
several 3D modelers made a good effort at that some months ago, and posted the results on this board. sorry, don't know where it is, but you could probably search for it.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Do most ships really need to be designed for crowds of over 50 people or two wheelchairs passing eachother?
humans walking about in an upright position at all is an inefficient use of space. since traveller ships have full control over their internal gravity, one could replace all corridors with shafts, large enough to pass a human lengthwise. it would save a huge amount of space. at the least it would make a nice alien ship for an in-game encounter.
</font>[/QUOTE]Sounds like a classic tail-sitter to me. Lots of spaces around a central vertical shaft. ;)

the pilot actually works less than that.

set course, speed, alarm for 100 diam, proximiity alarm for inbound vessels, lock the cockpit door, recline the seat back and NAP AWAY!!!!!!!!!

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

AND GET PAID FOR IT, BABY!!!!!!!

Back