• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Smoke and Mirrors?

Just musing, but I think the ideal T5 for me would be:

High Guard for ships
T20 vehicle design
MT for tasks
T4 for character generation
Striker for combat

Originally posted by DrSkull:

High Guard for ships
T20 vehicle design
MT for tasks
Striker for combat
Yes, this is basically a yummy and even elegant idea. The simple way would be to take the old Traveller Book and simply replace the chapters with the appropriate sections.

Add the DGP/MT task system, the T20 vehicle/starship design rules, and add the rest of the origional CT character types to TTB and you have a single volume game that would hold up.

I'm not even certain that Striker would be needed - the T4 personal combat rules work very well once the broken task system is replaced. Add the Traveller Adventure to the book (or at least reprint it simultaneously) and I'd bet you could get acceptable sales.

Of course this will never happen...

William

Originally posted by William:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by DrSkull:

High Guard for ships
T20 vehicle design
MT for tasks
Striker for combat
Yes, this is basically a yummy and even elegant idea. The simple way would be to take the old Traveller Book and simply replace the chapters with the appropriate sections.

Add the DGP/MT task system, the T20 vehicle/starship design rules, and add the rest of the origional CT character types to TTB and you have a single volume game that would hold up.

I'm not even certain that Striker would be needed - the T4 personal combat rules work very well once the broken task system is replaced. Add the Traveller Adventure to the book (or at least reprint it simultaneously) and I'd bet you could get acceptable sales.

Of course this will never happen...

William
</font>[/QUOTE]As a non-Gearhead, I did find much of what I liked about T4 in personal combat (leaving aside the task mechanic) and I oscillate between liking numeric damage systems (players like the feel) and minor/major/disbaled would levels (which feels better than trying to map specific numbers onto actual bodily wounds). What I saw of the T20 vehicle system from proofing TA3 looked good, but as I said, I'm no Gearhead. the principle however (that ALL T20 designs will be valid in the design system first, even if that sacrifices cannon compatibility) is very good and would have to be one of teh planks of T5 I feel: no more "official" designs that don't follow the design sequences.

As I think T Foster suggested Waaay back in the T5 discussions here, ideally we would need "modular" systems, so that those of a Gearhead persuasuion, or who want are more detailed combat system, have something that is comtable with tyhe basic system, but thos who don't require the detail aren't saddled with a cumbersome system...

Internet pools such as the one hold by Citizens of the Imperium are of very limited usefulness as they don't chart the opinion among the universe of potential customers, but only those die hard fans such as us that actually visit this site often.

I liked Dr. Skull's proposal for T5, however, we should thrust Mark regarding this. I don't think T4 is as bad as many believe. Very low quality editing, for sure, but I still think it is a very decent game. We know that Hunter have convinced Mark to drop the half dice. I don't believe that T4's gearhead section will survive, it would make sense if Mark adapt T20 version of High Guard in T5, making both games more compatible with the original Traveller. If all this happens, I will like T5.

I only want it to be a nice hardcover book. I would even pre-order it to help financing the edition. I don't like games in pdf and I don't think I would actually purchase a book in such form.

Originally posted by Ron:

I only want it to be a nice hardcover book. I would even pre-order it to help financing the edition. I don't like games in pdf and I don't think I would actually purchase a book in such form.
I really want a hardback that has a cdrom of pdf's and utilities along with it. I'd really like to be able to leagally have T5 on my laptop to take where ever without having to have the book. That said, I also want a nice hardback like the hardback version of TTB. If nothing else, it looks much spiffier on the bookshelf :cool:

William

Wow. I think I could a agree with most here.
An electronic subscription that would allow (maybe) some influence on the eventuall hardcover in the End.

Dr. Skull's post sounds pretty good. A polished version of the game with all those patches mated smoothly would be very nice.

at the risk of being a heretic though I wouldn't mind a simplified space combat system. I've personally found those rules most difficult to understand and thus explain administer. and They aren't compatible with running a quick off the cuff combat as a result of an encounter.

Back