• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Speculative Traders

4hrs 45 minutes!!!? Pah! That's nothing. Mine usually take a week!

Seriously, though:

WOW! Now that's really nice.

...but will you please, for the love of god texture that ship!

Crow

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
Here's a little starport scene:

http://www.cix.co.uk/~fubar/Traveller/scene2.avi

(Render time 4hrs 45min!!)
LOVE IT!!!!

Great Christmas present, thanks Andrew! :D

Now, I just want to see what happens at the end when the air/raft hits the cargo hauler ... do you have a big crash scene planned?
file_23.gif

Hi Andrew !

Very nice scene.
Maybe its quite a detail, but I really like the steam exhaust.
Guess, thats another good shot to make our Traveller Universe more alive.

Looking at the rendering time we might have to wait a while for a full length Traveller movie

Best regards,

Mert

"...but will you please, for the love of god texture that ship!"

No, but I'll let you do it!

"Now, I just want to see what happens at the end when the air/raft hits the cargo hauler ... do you have a big crash scene planned?"

You noticed that, then? Damn. I didn't realise how it looked until I watched it. Gonna have to tweak it. There goes another 5 hours...

"Maybe its quite a detail, but I really like the steam exhaust."

Nice, isn't it? That's an homage to (okay, a shameless theft from) one of Scarecrow's animations.

There need be no collision.

The float/carryall is already moving to the left to avoid the standing human, it's AI will simply STOP it's forward motion to allow the Human Piloted Vehicle (clearly NOT under the Loading Dock Master AI control) to have right of way (the 4th Law of Robotics, be proactive to make organics not look stupid by scratching pretty paint job.)

sojourner

Hi !

Andrew, perhaps You could save a vast amount of time by using the static part as rendering backdrop ?

Anyway, heres just another jump scene iteration.
Is it ok that way ?
Another Jump Scene

The next one will be quite destructive and maybe good for silvester

Regards,

Mert

Originally posted by kaladorn:

One curisiosity, why is the ship flying what appears to be a U shaped course? (Or is that just a trick of the camera?) - it appears to fly towards the camera and sort of bank away from it...?
Its just the wide view angle of the camera

I do like the new disolve. You are right with the resolution of the current set that any dynamic effect in the hull grid is tough to see. (What did you do, just variable intensity vs. colour variance?)
Should be visible now...

Can you do a 'bigger' version with higher quality renders? (I'll willingly download a 10 Mb file if that's what it takes... I'm quite impressed by what I've seen so far and would like to also get your permission to snag some high-res screen caps for illustrative purposes in my games...)
I will do so, if the actual version is kind of "o.k.".
Anyway, if You need a still picture just tell me which, because the frame quality is louzy compared to a special sill rendering...)

Regards,

Mert

"There need be no collision."

Oh, I know, but that's not how it looks.

"Andrew, perhaps You could save a vast amount of time by using the static part as rendering backdrop ?"

I never thought of that.

"Anyway, heres just another jump scene iteration."

Nice. Really needs a starfield bg.

Originally posted by Andrew Boulton:
"...but will you please, for the love of god texture that ship!"

No, but I'll let you do it!
Ahh well. I shouldn't complain really. It's not like I ever finish anything either =)

"Maybe its quite a detail, but I really like the steam exhaust."

Nice, isn't it? That's an homage to (okay, a shameless theft from) one of Scarecrow's animations.
Which in turn, was a shameless theft from the Millenium Falcon on Bespin.

Crow

Hi !

Absolutely cool scene Andrew.
I wish I would have any comparable ground environment.
How long did it take to model and texture the landing pad ?

And just for the closing year 2004..
A bit higher resolution, introducing starfield and environment and finally DivX output (thanks to Andrew).
Year 2004 Lanthan Jump (final version ?)

Best regards,

Mert

"How long did it take to model and texture the landing pad ?"

Not long (I borrowed most of the scene from the Twylo Downport pic in my gallery).

There's something...odd...about your animation (not wrong, just odd), and the background makes it more obvious. Could be the camera settings.

Back