• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Spica Sector Maps

Well, the border was drawn as close as possible to the one in GT AR3. I must admit, I don't like how it cuts across clusters either, I'd have thought it'd go around them. But then again, not all borders do that - the Vegan Autonomous Region has worlds right next to it on either side, for example.

I certainly don't mind it changing though (as long as it vaguely resembles the original in some way
).. Think of the border on that map as a first guess, feel free to refine it.

Originally posted by Klaus:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
Lastly, there is one specific system that lies isolated along the Sol/Hiver border in ss J that currently the border places in Sol territory. I would like that system to be in neutral space; J is one of the ss I volunteered to develope, and I have plans for that system which require it to be in neutral space rather than either Sol or Hiver territory.
Sounds intriguing. Had a similar idea for that ss but you'd already dibbed it. So please tell more....
</font>[/QUOTE]OK. It's a resort world, mostly water. The Sollies and Hivers use it as a sort of unofficial negotiating ground. Or some of the negotiations might even be official. Anyway, since it draws visitors from both sides of the borders as well as from the neutral systems, there is a lot of intrigue going on here, and intelligence agents from the various polities running games against each other.

I think the Hiver border is too far forward in subsector N Mal? Judging from Casey's map and far traders. I'll go back and review the previous discussions today.

-W.

Originally posted by LcKedovan:
I think the Hiver border is too far forward in subsector N Mal? Judging from Casey's map and far traders. I'll go back and review the previous discussions today.

-W.
Ok, I have a re-done Subsector N map with the border from Mal's Map, the proposed changes from Paraquat J., and also the Canon Borders from Casey and including Far-Trader's ones as well. The former seem to remove a bunch of independant worlds, and give the Hivers a lot more than they have in the 1100's. I'm trying to find somewhere to post the map.

-W.

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LcKedovan:

-W.
Ok, I have a re-done Subsector N map with the border from Mal's Map, the proposed changes from Paraquat J., and also the Canon Borders from Casey and including Far-Trader's ones as well. The former seem to remove a bunch of independant worlds, and give the Hivers a lot more than they have in the 1100's. I'm trying to find somewhere to post the map.

-W.
</font>[/QUOTE]Ok! I got fed up with always trying to find space to put this stuff up, I know not everyone wants to access this stuff, but well.... tough :D

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/spicaproject

I put the N subsector file in the files section. Currently it is set so that anyone can join the group. So feel free to use the files section. If people want I can organise the file section into various areas (maps, alien write ups, etc.) and I can also post all the files we have here to date.

So for the legend of the map:

White hexes and Blood Red: proposal to remove from Malefant's Map
Light Green border: the early Canon Hiver border in the sector
Dark Green: the later Canon Hiver border in the sector.

note: I didn't add the Sol Border in any way from the Canon maps.

-W.

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
OK. It's a resort world, mostly water. The Sollies and Hivers use it as a sort of unofficial negotiating ground. Or some of the negotiations might even be official. Anyway, since it draws visitors from both sides of the borders as well as from the neutral systems, there is a lot of intrigue going on here, and intelligence agents from the various polities running games against each other.
Cool like the sound of that! I had a slightly similar place in an old Spacemaster campaign, tho less diplomatic. So its kind of cold-war Berlin with beaches?

Originally posted by Malenfant:
Well, the border was drawn as close as possible to the one in GT AR3. I must admit, I don't like how it cuts across clusters either, I'd have thought it'd go around them. But then again, not all borders do that - the Vegan Autonomous Region has worlds right next to it on either side, for example.

I certainly don't mind it changing though (as long as it vaguely resembles the original in some way
).. Think of the border on that map as a first guess, feel free to refine it.
Gimme a free evening this weekend
I'll post up my idea and we can compare notes, put it to a poll, or whatever. If I don't get it done this weekend I likely won't
I'm about done playing and catching up on posts for tonight, unless insomnia strikes ;)

I think it'll fall within the realm of reasonable :D

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Questions:

What role does the Government of this planet play in this?

What level of "Games" are we talking? Assassinations? Politcal Sabotage? Trade Sabotage?
Planet's government is a corporation. Home base is in the neutral territory. Official stance to espionage games is "don't do it." Unofficial stance is "we will turn a blind eye as long as you pay us and don't do anything that is bad for business." Assassinations are strongly discouraged because they are bad for business. As long as there is no collateral damage, the event is hushed up; the perpetrators, if caught, are heavily fined and banned from the system.

If corp. property is damaged, the perpertaros are imprisoned unless the sponsoring entity wants to buy their release.

If innocents are killed or injured, there is a death penalty involved.

So assassinations do take place from time to time, but are usually made to look like accidents. Or someone else is framed/made to be the patsy.

There is also a lot of industrial and corporate espionage that takes place here since many businesses from both sides of the border as well as the neutral territory use the planet for sales meetings, trade shows, conventions, that sort of thing. Any excuse to go there, on an expense account, because it's a fun place with lots of fun things to do.

Ok! I got fed up with always trying to find space to put this stuff up, I know not everyone wants to access this stuff, but well.... tough :D

I put the N subsector file in the files section. Currently it is set so that anyone can join the group. So feel free to use the files section. If people want I can organise the file section into various areas (maps, alien write ups, etc.) and I can also post all the files we have here to date.

So for the legend of the map:

White hexes and Blood Red: proposal to remove from Malefant's Map
Light Green border: the early Canon Hiver border in the sector
Dark Green: the later Canon Hiver border in the sector.

note: I didn't add the Sol Border in any way from the Canon maps.

-W.
Hey Guys, anyone going to comment on this stuff? How are we doing for the borders... specifically these comments are in relation to one of the sectors that Dan and I are going to collaborate on so I want to push things along a bit. Although I am preparing for a move, and winding down my job I don't want to lose touch with this stuff or have the project get too stuck in the mire of real life ;) .

-W.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
All files should be stored in areas which do not require CSSP participants to join something.

Yahoo offers a free "briefcase", 30mb, where people can share files with "the public".
</font>[/QUOTE]Problem there is the last time I tried to use my briefcase to share files yahoo kept changing the url every few hours. That was a while ago so maybe they fixed that if it was a glitch, but I got the feeling it was the way it was on purpose. Kind of annoying trying to share stuff when the url goes poof. The only way to find the files and images was to go through the briefcase interface (top level url, not direct).

Just checked and now it looks like they may have fixed that with their "enchanced service upgrade" (though I doubt it) however...

"Briefcase does not allow public sharing of files/full-size images. You will only be able to share the screen size images of your photos publicly"

...and that's tiny so not much help. Choosing the option to share the files with friends will allow access to the full file and image but that requires the person to list every person that needs access and is limited to other Yahoo users only.

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
All files should be stored in areas which do not require CSSP participants to join something. </font>[/QUOTE]Unfortunately up until now there is no such place where we can do that, so I put it somewhere where at least some people should be able to get it :D . If anyone can't I can happily email it!

Anyhow, it should be in the files section there... on that note, my cousin just came through for me and wangled me a shell account where I have no file limits so I will post the things there on a website, errrr as soon as I design it ;)

-W.

Ok I've put a revised version of the Spica map on my site for discussion. Here's some extra notes:

http://www.crookedlimb.net/nisseau/spechre.html

1. This alliance would be a case of 'my enemy's enemy is my friend', and I'd guess they'd support the independence of the colony worlds nearby

2. This looked a likely place for lots of new colonies as there's alot of worlds with E, D and C starports.

3. I like the idea of a world where everyone wants to get to so they can make their fortune. The location is ideal, as to reach it by normal J2 transport takes you a long way round. This would give a significant advantage to J3 vessels. It also means the world cannot be easily annexed. I'd expect there to be all kinds of groups, from capitalists, gun-slingers, prospectors, colonists, bandits etc. Maybe even aliens?

4. I'd envisaged this space station starport to be a major trade point, kind of an independent and somewhat shady B5. Fences, smugglers and mercenaries need at least one friendly port.

5. I've talked up my FTZ idea on other threads. I want to see if it tallies with anyone elses ideas.

6. This area might be a bit like the Romulan Neutral zone in ST. It seems there needs to be a reason why this space has not been annexed by either side.

7. Its nice to have a fortress zone. Maybe a good place for blockade running.

We need to settle on the border issue soon as it's holding up development elsewhere.

Originally posted by Klaus:
Ok I've put a revised version of the Spica map on my site for discussion. Here's some extra notes:

3. I like the idea of a world where everyone wants to get to so they can make their fortune. The location is ideal, as to reach it by normal J2 transport takes you a long way round. This would give a significant advantage to J3 vessels. It also means the world cannot be easily annexed. I'd expect there to be all kinds of groups, from capitalists, gun-slingers, prospectors, colonists, bandits etc. Maybe even aliens?

4. I'd envisaged this space station starport to be a major trade point, kind of an independent and somewhat shady B5. Fences, smugglers and mercenaries need at least one friendly port.
I like all of your ideas. I'll directly address the two above since they fall into areas I've agreed to develope.

3. I like this idea, and agree that would be a good place for it since it is remote and hard to reach by J-2. One of those two systems falls in F ss, which I will be developing. If the person developing G ss agrees, we can work together to make that two-system cluster a gold rush-type area. Maybe one has a rich asteroid belt(s) and the other is where the ore is taken to be processed. Both would have a lot of traffic, but still be experiencing growing pains caused by the sudden growth caused by the recent discovery of rich ores.

4. Again, I like this idea -- I had been thinking of doing something along those same lines. There has been some discussion of that long main being used as a smuggling route between the Sol and Hiver domains, so that location -- roughly halfway between the two -- might make a good location. That falls within F ss, which I am doing, so consider that idea implemented when I develope the subsector.

Cool Paraquat, glad you like'em!

I like the 2 system cluster idea; we could have tensions between the systems as well as all the commercial rivalry and criminal activity going on.

For the station, I'd suggest some old mining installation or space dredger, reconditioned and turned into a shadowport by crime syndicates, and gradually over time accruing shipyards and a modicum of respectability (ie you don't have to be a criminal to dock).

It could be 'controlled' by a medium sized crimelord called "The Resident" - he doesn't have formal control but his presence is surely felt...

Back