• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Starship Artwork

WOW! now thats what i'm talking about. That art is on par with the Zaon ship work i was looking at. Are you still designing new stuff atm?

and tell me..what ever happened with the mini line?

JK..

Be careful with that custom miniatures base.

WizKids has been (in the past at least) very protective of their combat dial and any thing that looks like it.

BTW love the look of the ships.

Dave

robject: I'm glad you like that cover image. I tried to blend the best of the of of LLBs with an updated image that was iconic of Traveller (a scout on planetary approach).

equilibrium: Thanks! I've recently returned to CGI after a break brought about by a career change. Hopefully I'll have time to devote to finishing off some of the Traveller art I started over a year ago. As far as the miniatures go, my understanding was that the individual attempting to obtain a license for production from Marc Miller was not able to work things out and the entire project was shelved. I was disappointed since I put a lot of work into making models that would mold correctly and ended up getting zip out of the whole deal.

DaveChase: Yeah, the bases that show movement vector was a good idea I had as a kid. I'm sure WizKids would object to anyone developing anything similar. In any case, the projected production costs for custom bases would have been too high.

Actually the bases could (and have been) made fairly inexpensive.

GW (Games Workshop) made bases just like the ones that you have for their Titans. They were 2 piece (molded) and you cut out a small dial, place the dial on the bottom piece then snap the top piece on.
There are also bases out there for planes/spaceships that have a spot for a small d6.

GW I do not think would go after you unless you made it just like theirs.

Now you could make a base that had a small spin dial that just sat on top of the base. I have seen (can't remember which game right now) a base that you actually places a cut out on the base that showed directions and other information about the ship on the base.

If you decide that you want to do bases, check around with some of the different manufacturers, (like China, HK and Singapore) because they might have something that will work that they have already made for another company that was rejected.

Dave

ted,

welcome back. i'm looking forward to seeing your new stuff. sorry to hear about your career change. was it voluntary? ;)

what is this 'exodus war' you have posted? i haven't heard about it.

It's good to be back. The career change was voluntary and it's something I've wanted to do all my life, actually. I haven't been able to focus on hobbies very much over the past year but hopefully I'll be able to post some Traveller eye-candy in the near future.

Check out the Exodus War site for more info. It doesn't seem to be updated very much and I wasn't able to continue doing concept work for them since I was away in training for several months.

- Ted

I'd love to see a 25-35mm scale model. Would you run into the same liscencing problems? Probably.

I've read on the Alternity site that they are commisioning miniatures from an Australian manufacturer. Eureka I think it's called. They avoid brand infringement by giving their miniatures generic names. Not that it would be much of a problem since Alternity is out of print.

Originally posted by DaveChase:
Now you could make a base that had a small spin dial that just sat on top of the base. I have seen (can't remember which game right now) a base that you actually places a cut out on the base that showed directions and other information about the ship on the base.
SFB's Starline 2200 and 2300 lines uses a card which drops over the stand, and has an x die-cut out of it to fix it in place on the stand's x-shaped reinforcement.

Originally posted by tlindsey:
I've got a few Traveller images on my site. I need to post some of new stuff I've been working on in the near future.
Ahh ... your work is, as I hope I've mentioned at every available opportunity, fantastic and by far the best-looking CG work I've seen for Traveller. I hope to see it in print someday. Glad to see some new stuff - keep it coming!

I'm still working on the modeling for the "new" System Defense Boat that Bryan Gibson drew for T20 but I wanted to try out a blue color scheme reminiscent of the Spinners from Blade Runner. I've always thought of SDB's as the "orbital cops" of Traveller so I thought the color scheme would be appropriate.

As I mentioned, the model and textures are incomplete and evolving. Suggestions are welcome.

sdb-242-blue-test-01.jpg

Wow! Ted, I really like this. I'm very impressed. Do you do work for hire, by any chance?

Keep up the great work,
Flynn

BTW, if there are any copyright problems I'd be happy to take them down. Just wanted to track down the artist and the ship

Tikon: I think those images are of a "Serpent Class Scout" that originally appeared in one of the old JTAS issues.

- Ted

I think you're right. It also appeared in Scouts & Assassins.

BTW: Re. the SDB pic: very nice (I'm not too keen on the design, but that's not your fault). Aren't SDBs system (rather than Imperial) navy? Would they have a sunburst? (And what colour is that?)

Yep it's a Serpent. The "Scouts and Assasins version is more compleat that the JTAS version. Also note that the grid on botyh versions is 1 meter rather than 1.5 m. Oh and I did a corrected deckplan of it. See my site.

Back