• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Strategy vs Tactics

bjjones37

SOC-12
I thought I would get on my high horse and pretend to know something for a change. I looked up the dictionary definition of tactics and it listed strategy as a synonym. Not a very good definition. I looked up strategy vs tactics. The results were accurate but somewhat vague and generalized. "Strategy is long-term while tactics are short-term." "Tactic address an objective while strategy determines the overall campaign." Like I said - vague. It has been said that tactics are used by the character while strategy is used by the player. While it is not an absolute, there is a lot of truth in it. But let's look at why with some concrete examples.

During WWII Admiral Nimitz employed a strategy known as Island-hopping or leapfrogging. They would invade and capture certain Japanese held Islands to provides bases for the Pacific advance to Japan itself. Other bases such as Rabul (a major Japanese naval base) were bypassed. The American fleet would destroy whatever aircraft and ships they possessed and then largely ignore them. Rabaul had something like 100,000 Japanese when it was cut off from it's supply line. Tactically, it was a powerful military presence which would have cost thousands of American lives to subdue. But strategically it was irrelevant. Being behind our lines, it had no means to bring it's significant tactical forces to bear. So we skipped it.

A tactical solution would have been to go in after offshore bombardment, tactical bombing, and strafing with marine landings and reduced the enemy forces using flamethrowers, tanks, mortars, and American lives. The strategic solution was easier, and cheaper!

Generally tactical solutions are used to reduce or nullify the threat from a current hostile force. This can be accomplished in a number of ways. Killing the enemy is one. Another would be to blow up his ammo dumps and fuel supplies. A third would be to induce him to surrender. This was done very effectively in Singapore when an inferior invading force of Japanese convinced a much superior British military presence to surrender.

Strategic solutions are more aimed towards eliminating the enemies capacity to make war rather than reducing his current forces. For example, the Eighth Air Force strategic bombers were sent out to destroy ball bearing plants, metal foundries, oil refineries, and engine manufacturers. This had no impact on current hostile forces and therefore was not a tactical solution.

Essentially, tactics are used to determine HOW to reduce a threat and strategy determines when and where. By destroying ball bearing factories and engine manufacturing plants, we chose to make sure future tactical engagements against the Germans would occur on the ground rather than in the air. In this case the strategic solution was not cheap as evidenced by the many aircraft crews that never returned. These bombers did not reduce the current tactical power of the Wehrmacht. But it did give us more control over when and where we would engage the enemy.

*Moderator - Please feel free to move this thread elsewhere if its location is inappropriate.

Last edited:
Guess I tend to divvy up strategic and tactical differently, among other things by adding in grand strategy and operational as distinctive layers.

Properly speaking Nimitz was using his own version of Plan Orange, the long-term strategic plan that the USN had been refining since the 20s.

Grand Strategy- total defeat of Japan and the discrediting of fascism as a functional society/government choice, produce enough forces to support Germany First while continuing to prosecute the war in the Pacific.

Strategy- drive across the Pacific on two axes of advance threatening the home islands while cutting off raw material and force supply support via submarine and carrier raiding (later air-dropped mines and strategic bombing), and force surrender via invasion (later nuclear weapons and Soviet war declaration causing morale collapse).

Operational- sequence of bases to be seized and bypassed, martialing training and supplying forces to do so, executing a series of tactical plans to destroy enemy supplies and bases and take each targeted island chain, building logistical support for the next operation.

Tactical- warfighting techniques in engaging land air and sea forces, bombardment, landing, bombing, submarine convoy attacks, protecting convoys and bases, etc.

Certainly the next step up from the basic concepts I was presenting. Yours look like an outline for developing a Plan of War.

Playing a game of chess is tactical.

Playing a chess tournament is strategic.

Invading one island in the Pacific is tactical, invading several islands in order to achieve an overall more advantageous positioning for you next round of attacks is strategic.

At some point strategy is more influenced by logistics than tactics, organising the men and equipment necessary to achieve a tactical outcome.
Note you may lose a battle because of bad tactics and yet remain in a strategically advantageous position because your enemy's victory actually overextends their supply lines.

Generals and Admirals throughout history have lost battles, sometimes purposely sending men to their deaths, in the hope of a strategically advantageous outcome.

Playing a game of chess is tactical.

At some point strategy is more influenced by logistics than tactics, organising the men and equipment necessary to achieve a tactical outcome.

Indeed! Logistics became a nightmare for the Japanese during the Pacific war. Guadalcanal became known as the island of death to the Japanese because they were expected to make due without rations.

The way I see it, in terms of your average Traveller adventure there is no strategy, just tactics. There isn't a long term, bigger picture, to consider. You are dealing with the here and now.

I suppose if you had a character that was a Duke or an admiral or something like that and you were dealing with fleets of ships or the situation in a subsector as a whole, strategy would have a place, but that really isn't my vision of Traveller either.

The way I see it, in terms of your average Traveller adventure there is no strategy, just tactics. There isn't a long term, bigger picture, to consider. You are dealing with the here and now.

Now there is a useful bit of insight.

For what it is worth (and it might not be worth much) the 1977 edition of Book 1 contains this phrasing of Tactics:
This skill is not to be confused with strategy, which deals with the reasons for the encounter and the intended results of the encounter.

I find this phrasing much more helpful than the 1981 phrasing, which suggests tactics are for characters and strategy is for the players. After all, from an in-character point of view there might well be a strategy... In fact there probably should be.

If the goal of the Player Characters is to flush out the war criminal who slaughtered the people of their world, they might perform a series of strikes on his bases. How the attacks are conducted are tactics. But when to call it quits because the team has done "enough" damage is another matter. Of, if a second in command is spotted and about to escape, the question of whether to pursue and capture him if supplies are running low from the battle is a question of strategy. Is it worth pursuing this man knowing the risks have jumped up. Once a decision is made on this point we are back to tactics.

For what it is worth (and it might not be worth much) the 1977 edition of Book 1 contains this phrasing of Tactics:

I find this phrasing much more helpful than the 1981 phrasing, which suggests tactics are for characters and strategy is for the players. After all, from an in-character point of view there might well be a strategy... In fact there probably should be.

If the goal of the Player Characters is to flush out the war criminal who slaughtered the people of their world, they might perform a series of strikes on his bases. How the attacks are conducted are tactics. But when to call it quits because the team has done "enough" damage is another matter. Of, if a second in command is spotted and about to escape, the question of whether to pursue and capture him if supplies are running low from the battle is a question of strategy. Is it worth pursuing this man knowing the risks have jumped up. Once a decision is made on this point we are back to tactics.

From a military viewpoint, Strategy could be considered to be an effort to gain a measure of control (or at least influence) over the battlefield so your tactical units would have an opportunity to do their thing. I was curious to see an example of it's relevance to Traveller.

Strategy is figuring out what your options are, and which ones you'd prefer. Also, resource management and policy, whether diplomatic or industrial.

Operations is getting there fastest with the mostest.

Tactics is so you know what to do when you contact the enemy and don't panic.

From a military viewpoint, Strategy could be considered to be an effort to gain a measure of control (or at least influence) over the battlefield so your tactical units would have an opportunity to do their thing. I was curious to see an example of it's relevance to Traveller.

I think I just gave an example of that. The adventurers are trying to get an element of control over the "battlefield" they are fighting on with the war criminal.

The war criminal is in hiding. The PCS are trying to force his hand and reveal himself by attacking specific targets. (He'll either fight back or go on the run. Either flushes him out.)

This is the strategic level.

How they will conduct each attack is the tactical level.

Since classic Traveller is built to handle para-military fights and lower (gunfights in the street, duels, bar brawls) there won't usually be literal battlefields.

I think I just gave an example of that. The adventurers are trying to get an element of control over the "battlefield" they are fighting on with the war criminal.

The war criminal is in hiding. The PCS are trying to force his hand and reveal himself by attacking specific targets. (He'll either fight back or go on the run. Either flushes him out.)

This is the strategic level.

How they will conduct each attack is the tactical level.

Since classic Traveller is built to handle para-military fights and lower (gunfights in the street, duels, bar brawls) there won't usually be literal battlefields.

My apologies, the example you gave me is the one I was trying to refer to. I guess I was not clear.

Generally tactical solutions are used to reduce or nullify the threat from a current hostile force.

Which is how I used it in the other thread with your example.

Snipers picking targets--Tactics used to nullify the threat that officers are shot at.

NVA Colonel rallying his VC troops--Tactics used to keep VC troops from routing. The player wants this Tactics roll to fail. That will nullify some of the threat of the opposition.

My other examples from that thread:

Roll 1D for Tactics or less to spot the ambush.

Have Tactics-2 or higher to recognize the land mines and know how to safely disengage from it.

Roll 10+, but get +4 per Tactics level to know about the explosive nature of the grey-green gas/fog.

Use Tactics on the Surprise roll to lower the chance of being surprised.

I have been looking through the Official U.S. Army History of World War Two for a good definition of tactics, strategy, and grand strategy, but unfortunately, all of them as more than a bit wordy, and with respect to "Tactics" it is assumed that the reader knows what that means. Therefore, I will give three examples.

First, the Central Pacific Campaign under Nimitz in World War 2, which has already been mentioned. Tactics would be how you attack an island and how your units at the lower level, down to squad, attack specific Japanese positions. Strategy would be deciding which island to attack and which to ignore. Grand strategy is determining what attacks can be logistically supported and contribute most to the overall war effort. The Navy would have much preferred taking Formosa over the Philippines, as that would more efficiently cut the Japanese supply lines to Southeast Asia. Dugout Doug wanted to attack the Philippines, where he had be run out of, and managed to get his way. He was still bogged down there when the Japanese surrendered. Not a good grand strategic decision.

In Operation Barbarossa, the German invasion of the Soviet Union in June of 1941, the tactics were how did the German army go about directly attacking the Soviet Army, as discussed in Small Unit Actions in the Russian Campaign. Strategy was how to make best use of the mobile Panzer Groups to cut off large numbers of Russians. Grand strategy was whatever distant objective Hitler though was the most important that day.

During the Vicksburg Campaign in the U.Sl Civil War, tactics was how the Union forces fought each individual battle on the way to isolate and then capture Vicksburg. Strategy was Grant abandoning his supply lines and striking first at the Confederate supply hub of Jackson, Mississippi, rather than directly at Vicksburg, which confused the Confederate commanders to no end. Grand strategy was Grant understanding the taking full control of the Mississippi River would have the greatest effect on shortening the war, by isolating that portion of the Confederacy west of the Mississippi from the eastern portion of the Confederacy.

Basically, tactics is how you fight the immediate battle. Strategy is why you are fighting that particular battle. Grand strategy is whether or not fighting that battle contributes most to the long-term objective, and whether or not that battle can be logistically supported.

I should note that I was trained and served as a U.S. Army supply officer, and still study logistics, and that I also teach classes on World War 2.

Edit Note: A picture of my World War 2 Class map layout.
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/album.php?albumid=42&pictureid=449

Last edited:
Current thinking is that Stalingrad was lost because either logistics wasn't prioritized or it was a bridge too far, if you couldn't supply the troops and equipment that far out,

One aspect being that experienced German troops being redeployed out of that sector and substituted by less well equipped auxiliaries, as well as not replacing combat casualties, let alone reinforcing Sixth Army.

Time ago I played a computer game called "Operational Art of War". On its rules manual, it was said that "if your main focus in on the battlefield, it's not strategy, if you cannot smell the poder, it's not tactical. anything in between, is operational" (as I'm quting it by memory, wording may not to be exact).

As I see it, strategy is ressource manageing to achieve a final goal, while tactics is units manageing to achieve a concrete (and usually limited) goal.

Ideally, your tactics would be used to achieve your strategy, and your strategy should be used to ease your tactics.

To put an examplo from another war, in the Franco-Prussian war (1870-71)the Prussians were said to keep strategic offensive to fight tactically defensive. That meant to maneuver to put the French in untennable positions that forced them to go on tactical attack to the Prussians.

IMHO another example would be on CT ship combat: designing your ship is a strategical decisión. How do you use it in combat are tactical decisions.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]Time ago I played a computer game called "Operational Art of War". On its rules manual, it was said that "if your main focus in on the battlefield, it's not strategy, if you cannot smell the poder, it's not tactical. anything in between, is operational" (as I'm quting it by memory, wording may not to be exact).

As I see it, strategy is ressource manageing to achieve a final goal, while tactics is units manageing to achieve a concrete (and usually limited) goal.
[/FONT]
Hmm, good enough as a pithy summation, but the 'goals' part has to be in there, even if it was a mish-mash of objectives at odds with each other, as in later Wars We Can't Talk About.

The point about tactics extend up and down the chain- strategic and logistical considerations will affect the tactical, and tactical innovations or failures will impact the operational and ultimately strategic realms.

all-for-the-want-of-a-horseshoe-nail-an-examination-of-causality-in-dodaf-3-638.jpg

I still think Grand Strategy has to be an element in talking about these differences, as there has to be a goal, and the political, cultural, economic, and/or psychological aspects of those goals shape the other realms- and is shaped by the realities of the technology, forces, mentality, industrial base, tactical ability and logistics feeding back into whether the goals are realistic or will have the desired effect if achieved.

Let's do a Traveller version of my breakdown-

Grand Strategy- House Montague is in a struggle with House Capulet for economic control of the planet Verona. Each house has its own planetary corporation that is ready to make the leap onto the larger subsector stage and become a truly interstellar megacorps, but is held back by having to split resources with their opponents and defend.

Montague and it's corps' goal is to drive the Capulets out of business and preferably dead. They cannot risk direct intervention by the senior noble of the planet, so must wage war covertly while waiting for the senior noble to change, either mind or person in position.

Strategy- The senior noble of Verona has made it known that outright fighting is outlawed, so Montague will wage market warfare on Capulet products, a psywar campaign to mock and upset them including social events, a subtle sabotage effort with cut-outs as Montague retainers must keep their hands clean, and finally a proxy pirate fight.

100 years after the families were reconciled due to tragedy, stratdocs came to light regarding the Capulet strategy- eliminate the senior noble by subsector politics, use financial reserves to pay a special ops ticket to overwhelm the Montagues by surprise force.

Operations- The actual series of plans to actually fund, equip and execute the above strategies. Come to think of it, this is the level the patron operates at, in this case go-between fixers that don't directly point to the hiring house. Likely how the players may get hired/involved with the feud.

Tactics- The actual sneaking/fighting/psywar bribery-carousing-admin-mediahacking/sabotage sneaking/damaging how-to-do-it improvising for surprise part- what the Travellers often end up doing.

I would argue that even the pithiest Amber Zone has these elements in them, and needs to be thought of ahead of time or dealing with motivations for unexpected results of the player's actions.

Back