• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5 VehicleMaker

A low tech 38 passenger wheeled vehicle by the Fillform method.

Truck Wheeled: TL6 Tons=4 Speed=5 Load=3

Heavy TL+1 Tonsx2 Speed- 1 Load+2

Heavy Truck Wheeled: TL7 Tons=8 Speed=4 Load=5

Fossil TL-2 Tons+2

Air (Open) TL-2

Heavy Truck Wheeled Fossil Air: TL3 Tons=10 Speed=4 Load=5

Add a cargo module Tons+1 Speed-1 Load+1

Heavy Truck Wheeled Fossil Air: TL3 Tons=11 Speed=3 Load=6

Total: Load=6 can carry 24 passengers in basic conditions i.e. bench seats. 11 tons of vehicle equates to 11 operators and passengers. Total carried is 36, so we can say 34 passengers, a driver, a fireman.

As designer I look at this an decide its a steam powered charabanc that motors along at 20kph. Its actually quite advanced by Terran standards, the equivalent charabancs on Earth during TL3 were still horse drawn. Its open to the air and has no Armor or Protections to speak of and is assumed to be for Local travel because it needs some form of refueling and/or maintenance on an hourly basis (oil the valves, shovel on more coal type activities). Cost ~170KCr

An alternate explanation is to call this a tram and say its confined to follow tracks (wheeled vehicles are also a route to designing locomotives). This may be a more plausible explanation given the TL.

The vehicle will fit inside a design box or bounding box 3m wide, 3m high and 16.5m long, however the actual dimensions of the vehicle will be less. If you get into an area thats 3m wide or high, or if you try parking in a space 16.5m long I suggest you start rolling checks against Driver Skill. For storage aboard a starship in ready to drive off condition allow 11+1tons

There are of course other possibilities that I may have overlooked because I was driving at getting the TL as low as possible. Building a smaller vehicle and adding passenger modules might also be a route to the desired vehicle.

[Edit] Corrected passenger capacity to 4 passengers per ton of Load.

I have not forgotten this, just was doing some research on it.

I have not forgotten this, just was doing some research on it.

I'll be away for a week due to the Waterloo bicentennial. I look forward to seeing your research, however just because you can't find an example in Terran technical history doesn't mean that somewhere out there there isn't a Vilani singing "The wheels on the fossil powered charabanc go round and round". :rofl:

I'll be away for a week due to the Waterloo bicentennial. I look forward to seeing your research, however just because you can't find an example in Terran technical history doesn't mean that somewhere out there there isn't a Vilani singing "The wheels on the fossil powered charabanc go round and round". :rofl:

Oh no, I have quite a few examples from the period from 1860 to 1900 to work with. The problem is finding the time to type it up. Also, I have to figure out how to post some of the images. Unfortunately, one of the nicest is still under copyright, so cannot be posted. Once away from England's speed restrictions, some of the steam-powered road locomotives were doing 20 MPH, or 32 kilometers per hour. England was exporting them to quite a few countries as well.

Should have asked for a Tech Level 6 bus, but I think that I can figure that one out from Vehicle Maker to the Real World.

Warning, your prices are at least one or two orders of magnitude too high.

Back