• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

T5's take on Imperial Nobles

d and D are both numerically 13. b and B are both 11. e and E are 14.

This phenomenon has been a part of Traveller since CT/Library Data.
1) Soc 12 could be either Baronet or Baron;

2) Soc 15 could be either Subsector or Sector Duke (although in this case the dignity was technically the same, if not the power)

What has been added in T5 is the new (lesser) title of Viscount for Soc 14, and a new level of junior Duke at Soc 15.

And as mentioned, its primary purpose seems to be to keep PCs from escalating up the Noble chain too quickly during CharGen. Now, you really have to earn the high C6/Soc score.

(Interestingly, of all the Peer ranks only C6/Soc=13 does not have a "split" score of d/D.)

Here's my current top of head thinking on this for MTU (with the ideas from above:

SOC | Hereditary Title | Non-Hereditary Title
B: Knight Companion* or Squire (if rolled in Chargen) | Knight Companion**
C: (hereditary) Knight* | Knight**
D: Baronet | Knight Lieutenant
E: Baron | Knight Commander
F: Marquis | Knight Grand Commander
G: Viscount | Grand Master of an Order***
H: Count
I: Margrave**** (Imp 4+ systems)
J: Duke (Subsector)
K: Grand Duke (Sector)
L: Archduke
M: Emperor

Or maybe: ?
I: Duke (Imp 4+ systems)
J: Grand Duke (Subsector)
K: Archduke (Sector)
L: Viceroy
M: Emperor

* In a high-ranking or noble order - if the player chooses this, she is part of a connected family and may have familial obligations (adventure hooks)
** In a specific order, usually a service or regional order - if a player chooses this, she is part of an order and may have obligations (adventure hooks) to that order, and by extension, the government and sovereign, as distinct from a familial relationship.
*** Treat as emperor in the sense there is only one and it generally shouldn't be an active player
**** Just a working title but seems appropriate, open to suggestions)

You want to remove the C6/Soc = I, as "I" and "O" are not used in EHEX.
Also, one or two suggestions in bold:

SOC | Hereditary Title | Non-Hereditary Title
B: Knight Companion or Squire (if rolled in Chargen) | Knight Companion
C: (hereditary) Knight | Knight
D: Baronet | Knight Lieutenant
E: Baron | Knight Commander
F: Marquis | Knight Grand Commander
G: Viscount | Grand Master of an Order
H: Count
J: Margrave**** (Imp 4+ systems)
K: Duke (Subsector)
L: Grand Duke (Sector)
M: Archduke
N: Prince
P: Emperor

**** - I gather from your other post that you do not like "Earl" as an alterantive title :) ? In Sylean/Imperial history, Earl was a rank junior to Viscount during the Sylean Federation. So it might be a possible title for those who don't mind the Soc splitting phenomenon and who might want to add another title to split Soc = d/D.
Another possibility for "Margrave" (C6/Soc = f, or Soc = J in the above table) might be Count Palatine (Count with additional responsibilities/privileges - still referred to in normal discourse as "Count").

Yes, but you can't go the other direction to get a single value.
13 = d or D., etc.
So, if you were doing something with math, for instance, software, if you were going to increment SOC and display results, you have a new, and IMO completely unnecessary, layer of complexity, which hexadecimal was used to avoid in the first place!
Hmm, it would certainly help remove any confusion about which you raise up by one too, the letter code (rank) or the Soc number (at different times). I'm thinking you may be right about the current method not having enough merit compared to the alternative.

Back