• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The A2

Long story short, the idea of standardized hulls looks, from what I've been exposed to in literature, is a Nivenism... And Niven's GP Hulls are all the same shape.
Agreed, Niven is the only source I can think of for standard hulls, or even that much detail about ship construction at all.

Not really, otherwise there would be standard drive bays, not standard hulls.
Why would it have to be a universal standard hull? Why would a Ziru Sirka standard hull (if they had that?) be identical to a Zhodani standard hull thousands of years later?

It's enough if it's a standard for this shipyard, this region, this corporation, etc. All you need is that your particular shipyard can build it quickly and cheaply.

I'm seeing this as the hull (entire structure), engineering space, and bridge space being fixed features, with the remaining space (fuel, cargo, accommodations, computer, weapons) being open to variations. To be fair, it's not the way the game is actually ever played, but it's clearly implied by the existence of standard hulls.
Niven states that, Traveller never does. I see no such necessary implication.

Fleet buyers will care, for logistics and training standardization. Individual buyers won't, though.
Do major shipping companies operate only a single standard ship class for decades or centuries? No.

They build a few ships of a particular class, then when technological or economical conditions change they switch to other types, standardisation be damned.

No, but Liberty Ships pre-date the current containerization paradigm and used steam engines.
They made perfect sense for a few years, but when the war ended conditions changed.

Did the worlds shipping industry look at that example and say "let's build only a few standard ship types cheaply forever"? No.

As of the Golden Age (1105), TL-14 has been available for 2.5 40-year ship service-life generations, and TL-13 for more than 12 (1000IE and 600IE, respectively) -- TL-15 is presented as cutting-edge, at least for general use. That's plenty of time to coalesce around a set of best practices, especially in a civilization that strives for conformity.
The 3I isn't the Ziru Sirka.

The Imperium may like stability, but they like cash and tech better, or so I would presume from the available canon.

The 3I has something I believe the 1I never had: High-tech at least near-peer competitors that they fight every so often. A 3I that suppressed technology and stagnated would be a conquered ex-empire. Just like the 1I shows.

The point I'm getting at is one of my occasionally annoying hobby horses: the idea that the ship construction and operation rules reflect the underlying "engineering" and "physics" of the game universe (or at least try to). Where they're inconsistent with that, it's likely due to an in-universe regulation.
LBB2 is extremely simplified. It hardly even deals with TLs.

Deducing 53rd century engineering from LBB2 ship design, or 53rd century interstellar economics from the trade system, is an exercise in futility.

Trying to determine how reality has changed over centuries or even millennia from an entirely static system is even worse...

There's nothing magical about the hull for a Type S that accounts for it costing only 1/3 of what any other 100Td streamlined ship's hull costs, ...
All custom hull cost a minimum of MCr 20, so it's actually 10% of the cost.

LBB2 really doesn't want you to build non-standard 100 Dt ships.

(Well, there is: it's an arbitrary game mechanic to make those ships more affordable -- in-universe, I suppose that's "magic".)
I do believe you are on to something here...

Last edited:
We have hints of Niven - especially with the Aslan and Hivers - in CT as well. And it does have standard hulls... but each hull type is a fixed proportion, and a specific size, with a specific drive bay; due to the way General Products Hulls are made, you literally cannot move the bulkheads without majorly bespoke hardware - GP Hulls are monomolecular... as in, the ship is one superlarge molecule.
It's worth noting that standard hulls in Known Space is a completely different technology bought from an alien race. It's not something slightly simplified or mass-produced by your local shipyard.

Wasn't General Products enough of a hint as to Niven's influence?
Not for those who haven't read much of Niven's Known Space. The CoDoVerse doesn't have GP Co nor GP hulls. (My first Niven experience was ST TOS, next was The Integral Trees, some 10 years apart, with CT being encountered betwixt them.)

Plus, references to General Products are in subordinate materials from 4+ years later (Sup 8...) while the standard hulls are part of '77
It's also worth notinng that the discount is most notable at small sizes.

Anyway, back to the values in them.

Let's check some datapoints in '77
TdSH MCrCH MCr%SH Drive JMP
10021020%AAA 15/15
20082040%AAA 15/15
400164040%CCC 35/50 J1 M1 P1
DDD 45/50 J2 M2 P2
FCC 50/50 J3 M1 P1
600486080%DDD 45/80 J1 M1 P1
FFF 65/80 J2 M2 P2
FJJ 80/80 J2 M3 P3
JDD 80/80 J3 M1 M1
8008080100%FFF 65/165 J1 M1 P1
HHH 80/165 J2 M2 P2
MMM 125/165 J3 M3 P3
RMM 145/165 J4 M3 P3
TMM 155/165 J5 M3 P3
ZHH 165/165 J6 M2 P2
1000100100100%HHH 80/165 J1 M1 P1
KKK 105/165 J2 M2 P2
QQQ 155/165 J3 M3 P3
KVV 155/165 J2 M4 P4
ZHH 165/165 J6 M1 P1
Not all possible combinations included.

One other consideration on Bk2 designs: higher than integer ratings do have a benefit -- damage resistance. Since Bk2 damage is "Works as if one letter smaller per hit of damage"....

If one allows fuel in the engineering section, then it's not wasted space, either.

The Bk2-'81 doesn't work out so pristinely - all the letters above are minimum for rating in given hull.

We are introduced to General Products in JTAS news and A:1 Kinunir - so the setting has been influenced.
That's still 2+ years on.
Also, A1 is by Games Workshop. It's canon, but it's also not necessarily indicative of GDWs influences at the time. It also has unusual design (draft Bk5?)

Odd, the electronic copies and the three paper copies I have of A1 do not mention Games Workshop at all. Adventure 4 on the other hand clearly states the Games Workshop involvement.

Do you have a source for this statement that A1 was Games Workshop, I've seen it made before but never found any evidence for it. It would be very odd for GDW to allow a third party to invent the setting...

I found this:

which states A1 was written by Marc, and digging out my old copy of WD 19 the review makes no mention of the adventure being written by Games Workshop. Travellerwiki also gives the author as MWM?

Last edited:
Long story short, the idea of standardized hulls looks, from what I've been exposed to in literature, is a Nivenism... And Niven's GP Hulls are all the same shape.
They were the same shape for each size. The colony-ship one that was used for the Long Shot was a sphere, the one used for Hot Needle of Inquiry was, I think, a very stretched prolate spheroid if it wasn't a long double-cone (my memory of it's bit hazy after all these years) with delta "wings" outside of the hull proper (and not the same material).

Sorry for the later reply but I totally forgot about this.

General Products HullConfigurationTraveller displacementNotes
number 1sphere 30cm diameter0.001 tonstwo larger Pierin variants 20m and 40m diameter
number 2cylinder 6m diameter, 90m long170-180 tonstapered to a point at both ends, wasp-waist nearer one end
number 3cylinder 35m diameter, 150m long10,000 tonshemispherical end caps, flattened belly for landing
number 4sphere 300m diameter1,000,000-125,000,000four possible variants up to 1500m diameter

I'll calculate approximate Traveller displacement tonnage in a bit.
Edit - thanks to Another Dilbert :)

Last edited:
Back