• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Future of Small Arms

Originally posted by Bromgrev:
Again, I would assert that there is no in-game difference between pointing and shooting a Colt Navy or a Glock 17.
Well, until the cap falls off one of the nipples. And, you can't figure out why you only got 5 shots instead of 15. ;)

Originally posted by Bromgrev:
Hmmm ... but now you've got me thinking about tech-level differentiated skills ...
file_28.gif
That's what the Education stat is for IMHO ;)

Originally posted by Fritz88:
(OT Example: Can you imagine that COBOL programmer trying to hack that TL-15 Starport computer?)
Yes, he takes his TL15 hacking "tape" and inserts it in the slot - the machines do the rest ;)

If you are confining gun skills to shooting only, handgun definitiely encompasses pistols (including autopistols) and revolvers. The you have SMGs (including MP5), rifles, shotguns etc.

The skill is primarily used to determine hit probability, in which case the difference between pistols and revolvers is negligable.

The same techniques can be used to shoot all handguns (that use a trigger anyway). The differences lay in maintenance, reloading, cleaning - something not a factor in hit probability.

Yeah, Sigg, but unless it looks like a reel tape (spelling intentional) he won't know what ot do with it!
file_21.gif

And, yes, the EDU stat helps overcome that TL discrepancy. (Also helps if he had a cap gun as a kid - low LL helps....) ;)

Corejob, you are right. Except it (the skill) really ought to be a factor in most everything associated with that kind of weapon. But, I see everyone's point. So, do I put "Auto-Rifle" in place of Revolver to handle things like the BAR? Or, is that better left to Support Cbt?

I am a CT kinda guy, but I always stretched Combat Rifleman to include automatic rifles and shoulder-fired LMG. IMTU, to use a MG under Heavy Weapon implies using a tripod or pintle mount (although you could use MG skill prone with a bipod also).

Looking at the CT hit probabilities for MG, it probably doesn;'t matter anyway. And since BRM usually includes at least familiarization with MGs I have to go with Bob and lump it in with combat rifleman. Modern infantry soldier don't get a lot of specialized training with MGs - it's just an extension of basic small arms training with most of the training dealing with PMC and the like.

Back