• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The Hinterworlds: Seeking canonical references...

Originally posted by Flynn:
1. Make sure that the data selected matches the AotI map, or the canonical source that published it, to make sure I've got good canon data.
Please don't be afraid to screw with the AotI if you need to. After having gone through the various sectors in the Domain of Deneb, I can tell you the AotI isn't the greatest source.

That doesn't even touch on well known screwups like Home and the Dynchia.

AotI is a great starting point. Just don't let it limit you.

If it's the Hinterworlds I use as the base, then it'll be the data from the Challenge #39 article/supplement that I'll use as my base.

Thanks for the warning, though, about the AotI,
Flynn

If you take a good look at what GDW published, you will note lots and lots of worlds that are operating at least one ship. Aside from Solee and Promise, there was Kide, the Guild, Suffren and a couple of independent worlds.

There was also the Hiver client state on the other side of Old Expanses from the RC.

Incidentally, there was also a Hiver client state in the Hinterworlds. The last issue of Challenge gave some guidelines for developing these states.

"quote:Originally posted by Starviking:
The Traveller TNE list did a lot of work on the Hinterworlds for 1202 a long time ago. Hope that helps..."

"It most likely won't."

Well, we put a lot of effort into locating the cannonical sources, and made sure the empire, which was the Hiver Supported one referred to in TNE, wasn't overwhelming.

"Fan efforts have a way of nibbling so much around the edges that they eventually destroy the basics of an entire setting. The TNE fan efforts are no exception. After all, the road to hell is paved with good intentions."

There were a lot of "My setting" empires in TNE. The fans who created them were concerned with creating a good setting for their groups, not with having it as a canon setting.

"Look at GDW's TNE work. After the Viral Holocaust, we have the Spinward States, the Hivers, the RC, the Hub Worlds, what's behind the Black Curtain, some hints regarding what once was the Vargr Extents and nothing else."

Yes, but there are a lot of petty empires (Kide in Diaspora is an example), and worlds are recovering - leaving a lot of room for Empire building.

"Sure, the TNE corebook does talk about how to set-up small surviving pocket empires, but the TNE fan efforts take that millimeter and stretch it for a parsec or so. In what had been the Old Expanses, the RC found only two 'pocket' empires - the Solee who used relic tech in a black box manner and Promise which was a Viral Horror Show. The Regency sees even less, in its ken nothing exists to trailing, rimward, or coreward."

Well in the Traveller TNE group we didn't do that. We kept pocket empires down to the 1 (or 2) per sector limit.

Might seem anal, but Promise isn't in Old Expanses. In the Old Expanses GDW had two 'Official' Empires - The Reformation Coalition and the "Voskl Trade Union", though the latter only shows up in the UWP Data that shipped with the Traveller Navigator. Solee was actually a Petty Empire, albeit more powerful than Kide.

"Yet despite this canonical 'blasted heath', in the various TNE fan efforts large multi-system pocket empires seem to occur every third system or so. This is completely understandable however."

Please! Multi-system pocket empires every third system? Surely you are exaggerating? Any sources?

"No one likes to envision the 1200 version of their favorite subsector or sector as a Viral haunted wasteland. They will always insert a 'flame' for good reasons, bad reasons, or no reasons at all. Once the flame exists, they'll continaully feed it too. Other fans will create other flames and - before you know it - the canonical blasted heath of the post-Viral Holocaust 1200s suddenly resembles the pre-Viral Black War era and good intentions have totally subverted the actual setting."

I haven't got my TNE Rulebook to hand, but I'm sure there are references to recovery occuring through Known Space.

"Don't bother with fan materials Flynn, stick to the real stuff."

Flynn, do whatever you want to. I just offered the TNE Hinterwords info as a point of interest.

Personally, I think it's stupid and insulting to describe "fan materials" as not "real stuff". If it were not for fan materials there would be no Traveller now.

Starviking

"Have fun,
Bill"

Originally posted by Badbru:
In many respects I see your point Bill, in some I even agree. However I have a suspicion that your viewpoint here is possibly tainted by not likeing the setting (I may be wrong)
Badbru,

My feelings about TNE have changed over the years.

At the time of it's release, I was happily looking forward to the end of the Rebellion. After my first read through, I was absolutely disgusted. After much thought, I think TNE's direction was the proper choice for Traveller to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I would have much preferred a 'soft landing' over the canonical Viral Holocaust. Google 'Wounded Colossus' if you don't believe me. However, I think the chance to break free of the dead weight of 20 years of sloppy, misguided, and self-contradictory canon was one Traveller needed to take.

The Dead Hand of Canon is both Traveller's greatest strength and greatest weakness.

My view of the setting is that pocket empires should be emerging in every subsector.
Your view may be entirely correct. My view after reading the TNE materials is that pocket empires are few and far between.

However, the Regency sees nothing. Not even 1248's surviving state in Vland is visible as nothing much seems to be in the way of the Viral attacks on the Regency's Denebian Quarantine wall. If the 1 to 2 PEs per sector Starviking claims existed or the 1 per PE subsector you claim exist, the RQS would be aware of something in Corridor or across the Rift. Even if 1248's surviving Vlandian polity exists, both states would have hints of the other's existence after 70 years. Yet, the Regency Sourcebook has the Regency aware of nothing beyond its multi-sector borders.

The RC sees little more outside it's much smaller borders.
- There is a Solee pocket empire nearby.
- Kide (if you squint real hard and need to include it to pump up your numbers) can be called a PE, but I think a relic liner and a few platoons with grounded helos on a nearby world isn't really a pocket empire though.
- The Hivers have tales of one or two more, but they lie every time their voders speak and their supply route to the RC seems to choose cemetary worlds for stepping stones. Odd no?
- Promise is a Viral pocket empire (IMHO, that type are much more likely than 'normal' PEs in the TNE setting).
- The TNE handbook lists the Hubworlds as an example, but no one else seems to be aware of them.
- The Guild is a business outfit whose 'navy' consists of small relic merchantmen. Besides, it only 'owns' those worlds too small and primitive to resist. Check out the UWPs for Jump for example.

I chose what the Regency sees and the RC knows to signify a 'blasted heath'. Others will naturally have other interpretations.

It is true that the TNE handbook had suggestions for GMs regarding the creation of their own pocket empire settings. It does not necessarily follow that pocket empires in the official setting would be anything but extremely rare. Glance over the system collapse mechanics in Hard Times. That's some heavy duty smashing that leaves very few pieces to pick up.

Thanks to the 'Law of Large Numbers', you can make the case for some survivors among the tens of thousands of worlds in Chartered Space, but even Promise, one of MT's better detailed and better positioned post-Hard Times successor states, did not 'survive' Virus. What happened to Promise is far more indicative of what happened everywhere outside the Spinward States. Aubaine and the rest of very rare excpetions in my opinion.

My view of the setting is that it's 1200 not 1140! Its been seventy years since virus release and most have died out, killed each other off or simply failed.
The Dawn League ships, the Ashtabula, the world of Promise, the Vampire Highway, the Regency's continued need for the Quarantine, the Black Curtain, and too many other canonical bits all challenge your view. Virus is still out there, Virus is still deadly, and Virus is still evolving.

By the way, has everyone forgotten Tatiana's projected viral activity graph? It was a big part of one of TNE's few published adventures. Also, read Vampire Fleets more closely. Sandman and his ilk were being set-up for far more work than knocking the Solee Empire's relic ships for a loop.

It is a time of building, rebuilding, and exploration. A vibrant, happy, dynamic time.
Tell that to the crews of the Dawn League vessels. Tell it to the Regency quarantine crews. Tell it to 'Hoss' Ritter and don't forget to point at his Ashtabula ship's patch too.

Plus I think you're a little harsh on GDW's work on TNE.
I'm not harsh regarding their work. I'm reminding people that TNE is a harsh setting. Check out World Tamer's Handbook by way of example. The new RC colony there has nearly an equal chance of trading ships or vampires making orbit. That may be happy and vibrant to you. It's dangerous and harsh to me.

It also makes for damn good role playing.

Have fun,
Bill

Have you guys ever thought of "hardening up" the marketing for this setting? (1200+) I mean, it is a DARK setting... Parts of it make Warhammer 40k's universe look like a smurf village! Should it be presented darker, stylistically? And I don't mean, "let's Goth it up", but perhaps a more sinsiter bent, if that's what is wanted.

I quite frankly would not like to be alive during this setting, unless I had a TL 0-4 living situation/manner of life. I try to stick to optimistic fare. The 1248 Setup seems to have a clean slate approach, but this is after a particularly brutal timeline. Vland? Scourged? Stop the Scourging! My only thought is that it seems Unnaturally Dark, like there are "dark forces" at work. Most of human history has been pretty rotten, but there was also periodic cessation of rotteness for a bit. TNE and Up presents disaster after disaster... Would'nt most characters be psychological wrecks?

Baron,

1248 is not a dark setting. The time period between 1116 and 1248 includes vast, incredibly dark periods that threatened to remove humaniti from the scene. But 1248 is not dark.

The average person in the Fourth Imperium, or the Regency, or the RC will likely lead an unextraordinary and uneventful life in 1248. If you go looking for excitement, you are sure to find it. There are also dark clouds on the horizon that could turn into hurricanes. There are massive problems that need to be solved. But they are still "safe"; at least as safe as they could be in other eras.

That is not to say that life doesn't suck if you are in the Wilds, or a Viral Hell world, or the old Black Curtain area. There are lots and lots of dark areas in 1248.

But, overall from the typical PC's view, 1248 is not a dark setting.

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
Most of human history has been pretty rotten, but there was also periodic cessation of rotteness for a bit. TNE and Up presents disaster after disaster... Would'nt most characters be psychological wrecks?
Well, no. Their own lives aren't necessarily an endless succession of disasters.

The Collapse, and the famines, plagues, purges and wars that followed them were a long time ago. There are pirate and Vampire raids, but these are infrequent.

Think about people who grew up in the early 20th Century. They saw, in rapid succession, two World Wars, the Depression, the collapse of the colonial empires (the Cold War) and so on. All very traumatic, and resulting in a lot people being messed up, but very far from effecting everyone in that way.

A good analogy might be the 1950s. For many people, it was a golden age - but countries like Australia, the US and the UK were almost continuously at war during the whole decade. Of course, we weren't the battlefields! But there will be many communities on the worlds of the RC (forget the Regency for the moment) who aren't battlefields, and haven't been for decades.

There are better analogies - places where decades long wars have been and are still being fought, but where normal civilian life more or less continues, but I am reluctant to discuss them because of their inevitably politically controversial nature. South Africa in the apartheid era might be the safest such example. Normal life continued despite the whole massive political struggle.

And normal life would have continued through the Short Nap, as far as was possible.

I would wholeheartedly endorse a very Black & Hard setting for the Hinterworlds. There were enough Pocket Empires in the pre-TNE era to provide the basis for a Nasty Polity to emerge. As for the Hiver Pocket, maybe this the base from which the Shadow Nests operate in isolation from the rest of the Federation seeing what is around them...realize that the Federation's plan of "uplifting" humaniti is misguided as they will make the same mistakes all over again.

I would also want to see the Whisperers emerge from their dormancy and prove that they are merely the servitor race to something that is part of the Ringworld. Perhaps, the Ringworld itself is alive as its supercomputer was imbued with a Gaia consciousness and now has awoken after the Final War to begin to right the "errors" that have crept into the program.

I can't speak too much about shadow nests, but the Hiver Pocket in the Hinterworlds was a staging point from Hiver Space to the Old Expanses.

If there is any Shadow work there it is covert, ostensibly the Pocket Empire will have to be supporting communications and trade to the Old Expanses.

Starviking

Wouldn't then that then be the perfect place to have the Shadow Nests originate from. Hivers always looking for a backdoor escape route and integrate back into the Federation...should they get discovered.

Plus, get a chance for direct manipulation of humans that might be passing through to get an education...

My feelings about TNE have changed over the years
Glad to hear it. Your original post just pushed my buttons as it sounded to me like another TNE is depressing, TNE is bleak, everythings smashed, vitriol against TNE.

My view of the setting is that pocket empires should be emerging in every subsector.
Your view may be entirely correct. My view after reading the TNE materials is that pocket empires are few and far between.
Granted, that in the published material GDW only detailed one or two pocket empires in the scant handfull of subsectors outside the Regency that they managed to get into print before they went under. However I beleive they layed the foundation for, if not the creation of more, then at the very least the expansion of those that they did detail. Path of Tears and Vampire Fleets detail planets in nearly every subsector that just need some help and they would return to the stars.

However, the Regency sees nothing. Not even 1248's surviving state in Vland is visible as nothing much seems to be in the way of the Viral attacks on the Regency's Denebian Quarantine wall.
Well my understanding of the Regency is that they put up their wall and then hid behind it. The quarantine zone is some six parsecs deep and they patrol at most another six parsecs beyond that. No one is alowed out prior to 1202 and should they go they're not allowed back in. Bill, you can't see what you wont go to look at.

On the Regency, wasn't it you that posted on the Colony thread last year something along the lines of "What does it take to make a pencil?"
I don't see alot of A class ports in the wilds so other than within the black curtin I don't see Virus building new starships or robots etc etc. But I do see Virus knowing the Regency is building new ships, new bodies for them to host, thus that is my reasoning for the Regency having a hard time of it.

The RC sees little more outside it's much smaller borders.
Perhaps because it travels widely beyond its borders (funny I never really thought of the RC as having borders. An edge to it's AO, which they explore beyond, but not borders like the Regency). Plus they have co-opperation with the free trader network rather than impounding their ships at the quaratine zone and putting the crews in quarantine camps whilst they wait months for the quaratine inspectors to clear the backlog to inspect the traders ship and cargo.

Thanks to the 'Law of Large Numbers', you can make the case for some survivors among the tens of thousands of worlds in Chartered Space, but even Promise, one of MT's better detailed and better positioned post-Hard Times successor states, did not 'survive' Virus. What happened to Promise is far more indicative of what happened everywhere outside the Spinward States. Aubaine and the rest of very rare excpetions in my opinion.
I'm familiar with TNE's collapse rules and have atleast read through Hard Times collapse rules, familiar enough to know that a TL13 PE has further to fall than a TL 9 or 10 world. Plus the Promise PE is far from well positioned! It sits astride the express lane of the Vampire Hiway no less.

The Dawn League ships, the Ashtabula, the world of Promise, the Vampire Highway, the Regency's continued need for the Quarantine, the Black Curtain, and too many other canonical bits all challenge your view. Virus is still out there, Virus is still deadly, and Virus is still evolving.
Very few of the Dawn League ships fell to Virus. Two atleast fell to the Guild, one misjumped and then fell to a TED, whilst most of the others fell to the first TED they met. The RC did much better second time around when they sent warships instead of blind, thinly armoured and poorly armed merchants. Lady Elize is the only ship to have fallen to Vampires that I can recall offhand. I don't recall that it was ever revealed what got the Ashtabula?
The Vampire hiway is rarely more than a subsector wide stretching coreward to rimward from Capital or Celetron to Cymbeline. That's three subsectors in SolRim, four in Diaspora and Massilia and a few in Core. The Spinward Marches alone encompasses more space the the Vampire Hiway. In any event I don't believe I said Virus wasn't out there or that it wasn't still a threat. If I gave you this feeling it wasn't intended. What I meant is that Virus has attritioned itself faster than it has increased it's numbers, and by 1200 we have finally reached a point where its numbers a low enough that we dare stick our collective noses back into space, even knowing full well that we'll get them bloodied from time to time. I tried to follow the Refs advice from Path of tears;

" Finally, and most importantly, avoid filling your campaign with Virus. The effects of Virus are omnipresent, but the actual reality of Virus should be very rare, for two reasons.
First, if the characters encounter Virus every time they turn around, they will either routinely defeat it, or they will die alot. If they routinely defeat it, it will have very little perceived danger value, and instead will become an annoying nuisance. If, instead, they die alot you are likely to have some very unhappy campers on your hands.
Second, there are limmits to your creative energies, no matter how imaginative you are. Each active Virus should not only be dangerous, it should be unique and fascinating. So keep them rare to enable you to lavish the time and attention on them they deserve, as well as keeping your players guessing." PoT pg 143.

By the way, has everyone forgotten Tatiana's projected viral activity graph? It was a big part of one of TNE's few published adventures.
It was a side note for Refs who wanted to go that direction. You could just as easily couple it with the mention of specific - recognizable fleets observed by The Covenant of Sufren passing through their space at timed intervals. So much time to go to Cymbeline, so much time to get up past the Covenant again. I took this to mean traffic on the hiway ebbed and flowed and Tatai's graph merely suggested another wave in the ebb a flow. YMMV.

Also, read Vampire Fleets more closely.
Sandman and his ilk were being set-up for far more work than knocking the Solee Empire's relic ships for a loop.
TL 15 and 16 Regency Fleets perhaps? Vampire fleets also strongly suggested there would be more than mere friction when the two met.

It is a time of building, rebuilding, and exploration. A vibrant, happy, dynamic time.

Tell that to the crews of the Dawn League vessels. Tell it to the Regency quarantine crews. Tell it to 'Hoss' Ritter and don't forget to point at his Ashtabula ship's patch too.
Optimistic would have been a better word than happy though I stand by every other word in that sentence, as I suspect Ritter would too. You think he was out there doing what he was just for the paycheck?

Plus I think you're a little harsh on GDW's work on TNE.
I'm not harsh regarding their work. I'm reminding people that TNE is a harsh setting. Check out World Tamer's Handbook by way of example. The new RC colony there has nearly an equal chance of trading ships or vampires making orbit. That may be happy and vibrant to you. It's dangerous and harsh to me.

It also makes for damn good role playing.

Have fun,
Bill [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yes, a little bit more to worry about than making your next payment on the Jayhawk, or if the Imperial Navy will do a stop and search in the amber zone you have to pass through to get those widgets you picked up cheap to a sellers market. Not that this can't make for good roleplaying too, my players just preferred shaping the destiny of a world or two.

In any event I don't think you need fear many Pocket Empires in the Hinterworlds. I have a passing familiarity with the Hinterworlds and from memory I think there are, or from 1248's perspective, were only two TL 15 worlds in the entire Sector and only about 15 to 20 TL 14's.
The bulk of it was in the TL 5 to 9 range which is where I suspect it will still be at circa 1248. I light of maintaining some of it's character though, it would be a better playing environment if there were atleast some semblance of space fairing among each of the minor races that inhabit the region that had space fairing empires circa 1129, don't you think?

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
I use that one, too, but tend to use ZhoBerka's Space Atlas too, as it has the info for the Hinterworlds added. Again, I am not sure of the source, if its canon or not, but there is also a full sector map of Leodinae too. My PBEM is set in the Hinterworlds, and is influenced by all the sectors around it, though I focus mostly on Spica, Hinterworlds and Leodinae. The Jenda homeworld is in Leodinae. Half of the Gnivii space is in there, as is a majority of the Council of Leh Parash space. Also the Ithklur state and Corona Regenum are there, too. Lots of interesting bits...
Yeah... Leonidae... That was me.
:D
I spent soo much time and money researching the area before I developed that sector... The irritation of Melantris was extreme - I developed Canon Schizophrenia over it (you know...I hate it, I love it, I hate it...etc)

oh well...
-MADDog

I was the person responsible for creating the sector. I painstakingly pieced together all of the Canon bits and tried to make them a whole...
http://zho.berka.com/data/CLASSIC/sector.pl?sector=LEONIDAE

see...There's my name in lights...

-MADDog

Well, first I pick a sector that doesn't exist.
I look at my map of charted space and find a hole...Like Aktifao - a sector in Aslan space. Then I check my library (including HIWG archives and quite a few obscure 'zines) then do a web crawl looking for ANYTHING anybody has written about the sector.
oh look. 25 hits for google...Looks like most are place holders on peoples maps, but I think the sunbane data has a list of subsector names...we'll assume they will remain a part of canon.
http://111george.com/core/astrogat/gni/jC.GNI
hmmm....looks like JTAS.NET has expanded thier map quite a bit...
http://www.jtas.net/travelleratlas/Sectors/Delphi.html
(wow...delphi...I wonder how it matches up with the old HIWG project...later)
After we find any POSSIBLE canon data, we need to find if there is an existing dotmap (ala AotI or any number of other projects...)
they just show where systems ARE...
http://t20.org.uk/library/index.php?AslanSpace
(The Aslan dotmaps come from the DGP MT aliens book...we'll once again assume it remains canonical...)
Now I usually set up a file for Galactic to generate a sector based off Jim V's homebrew method. Then, I use the dotmap to manually move around the systems to where they are supposed to be. I cheat and swap out a few improbable systems...(you know, those pesky tech G worlds in the frontier...pop A worlds on barren rocks...)
My goal is to make a consistent, PLAYABLE sector. Then we get to name the planets... I use a language generator, but I've also used Word and just find/replace letters with new letters...it works - you get to keep common threads in naming - happyville, happyton, sadville, new happyton... random generation looses those common roots sometimes.
Frontier sectors are more fun - placing new aliens (the Galactic program will generate a life code based off the UWP - an A means sentient aliens...)
It should work out to 1-2 minor new aliens per sector...(more work) If you get really fancy, Galactic can add stellar things...Nebulae or other navigation things. But usually I go ahead and detail out the major worlds of the sector (alien homeworlds and sector capitals), then map Trade routes...bingo. A new sector. And it only takes a week or two...

I've got 3 sectors for Galactic in the Library here. For example:
http://www.travellerrpg.com/cgi-bin/Trav/file/pfile.pl?action=view&itemid=35&h=&s=

My own mapping has ground to a halt with Kaa'G!kul and Luretiir!girr Sectors (those next to the Gateway Domain)...I'm having trouble reconciling all of the conflicting Canon bits to my satisfaction...<oh well>

-MADDog

Back