• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The most AMAZING CT character I've ever seen...

Originally posted by Furtive Envoy:
Whoo! I get to play a 62 year old guy! Now all my role playing dreams have come true!

You may have mad skillz grandpa, but you're still my grandpa.
We were thinking that there's got to be some gene manipulation in his background somewhere.

I mean, I watched this guy roll (on my dice that I keep in my bag--not his dice--my dice) 8 aging checks for STR, 8 aging checks for DEX, and 8 aging checks for END...and he made most of them (he lost a couple here and there).

But, he rolled it straight.

I couldn't believe it. I didn't think it was possible.

Actually, Heretic, he says the guy used his dice. Of course, if someone used my dice (my Excel spreadsheets, anyway) they're gonna roll pretty well, too........ ;)

Originally posted by Furtive Envoy:
Whoo! I get to play a 62 year old guy! Now all my role playing dreams have come true!

You may have mad skillz grandpa, but you're still my grandpa.
We were thinking that there's got to be some gene manipulation in his background somewhere.

I mean, I watched this guy roll (on my dice that I keep in my bag--not his dice--my dice) 8 aging checks for STR, 8 aging checks for DEX, and 8 aging checks for END...and he made most of them (he lost a couple here and there).

But, he rolled it straight.

I couldn't believe it. I didn't think it was possible.

Actually, Heretic, he says the guy used his dice. Of course, if someone used my dice (my Excel spreadsheets, anyway) they're gonna roll pretty well, too........ ;)

Originally posted by Fritz88:
WJP, one other thing you're changing is the (admittedly spottily documented) INT + EDU limit. This guy has 25 skill levels!
Yep, I guess I ignored that one. I've never used it on CharGen. Skills are (typically) so scarce in CT that I always thought it was too harsh to keep a character to his Experience level (INT + EDU).

I do use it for character improvement after the character is in play, though. Believe me, this guy will never get the opportunity to improve during game play. I mean, it's possible, but very, very unlikely, and very, very time consuming.

I'd bet money that he'll never get another skill level during his gaming life.

Plus all those stat bonuses he rolled....
Remember that, during the game, I'll be using the UGM task system. He'll get +1 most of the time (an occasional +2 on his high stats).

BTW, did you incorporate the +2 only rule for attributes? (I think that's an MT thing - precisely because of this....)
I don't think I've ever noticed this rule. It must be an MT thing, because that's news to me as far as CT goes.

Heck, I don't remember that from MT either.

And, BTW, he doesn't own his ship outright, yet - he does have half the mortgage paid off, though.
Absolutely. I wouldn't give him the ship outright--I'll use the official rules.

But, since he rolled it twice, I'm going to give him a choice: (1) He gets a Free Trader with 10 years paid off; (2) He gets a Free Trader without the 10 years paid off but better upgrades (weapons, maybe internal tanks for a second jump, something like that); or (3)I'll give him a Far Trader so that J-2 is available, but he gets it without upgrades and with 40 years still left on the mortgage.

I think that's a fair choice.

Some pretty incredible dice management, though. Wow.
It was unbelieveable. I've never seen anything like it.

And, it wasn't just the aging rolls that he was excelling on--it was everything.

The guy was hot. He was like a hot roller at the craps table.

He'd start a term with one skill for the term, then throw 4+ on promotion and 4+ on Special Duty, and turn that 1 skill for the term into 5.

Over and over again.

It was one of those things I'm going to remember and bring up years down the road. "Hey, remember that time when Lee was on that rolling streak and blew away a STR-14, 62 year old Merchant Captain?"

It was amazing. I just can't believe it.

I've received three calls today from the other players, and we'll all still scratching our heads.

It just doesn't seem mathematically possible, yet, it happened.

WJP, one other thing you're changing is the (admittedly spottily documented) INT + EDU limit. This guy has 25 skill levels!
Yep, I guess I ignored that one. I've never used it on CharGen. Skills are (typically) so scarce in CT that I always thought it was too harsh to keep a character to his Experience level (INT + EDU).

I do use it for character improvement after the character is in play, though. Believe me, this guy will never get the opportunity to improve during game play. I mean, it's possible, but very, very unlikely, and very, very time consuming.

I'd bet money that he'll never get another skill level during his gaming life.

Plus all those stat bonuses he rolled....
Remember that, during the game, I'll be using the UGM task system. He'll get +1 most of the time (an occasional +2 on his high stats).

BTW, did you incorporate the +2 only rule for attributes? (I think that's an MT thing - precisely because of this....)
I don't think I've ever noticed this rule. It must be an MT thing, because that's news to me as far as CT goes.

Heck, I don't remember that from MT either.

And, BTW, he doesn't own his ship outright, yet - he does have half the mortgage paid off, though.
Absolutely. I wouldn't give him the ship outright--I'll use the official rules.

But, since he rolled it twice, I'm going to give him a choice: (1) He gets a Free Trader with 10 years paid off; (2) He gets a Free Trader without the 10 years paid off but better upgrades (weapons, maybe internal tanks for a second jump, something like that); or (3)I'll give him a Far Trader so that J-2 is available, but he gets it without upgrades and with 40 years still left on the mortgage.

I think that's a fair choice.

Some pretty incredible dice management, though. Wow.
It was unbelieveable. I've never seen anything like it.

And, it wasn't just the aging rolls that he was excelling on--it was everything.

The guy was hot. He was like a hot roller at the craps table.

He'd start a term with one skill for the term, then throw 4+ on promotion and 4+ on Special Duty, and turn that 1 skill for the term into 5.

Over and over again.

It was one of those things I'm going to remember and bring up years down the road. "Hey, remember that time when Lee was on that rolling streak and blew away a STR-14, 62 year old Merchant Captain?"

It was amazing. I just can't believe it.

I've received three calls today from the other players, and we'll all still scratching our heads.

It just doesn't seem mathematically possible, yet, it happened.

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
Now, add to that high-TL medicine, organ replacements, cybernetics, and, ofcourse, anagathics ...
I've GOT to add something to the character like this....62 and STR-14 just seems too unbelieveable.

I've got to work stuff like that into this guy's background.

I mean, this is a sci-fi game, right? Well, I need to go sci-fi on his ass.
file_21.gif

Originally posted by Employee 2-4601:
Now, add to that high-TL medicine, organ replacements, cybernetics, and, ofcourse, anagathics ...
I've GOT to add something to the character like this....62 and STR-14 just seems too unbelieveable.

I've got to work stuff like that into this guy's background.

I mean, this is a sci-fi game, right? Well, I need to go sci-fi on his ass.
file_21.gif

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
However, I've never seen anything like that 62yo of your's! WOW!
I've never seen anything like it either.

I still can't believe it.

I'm not exagerating--this dude actually rolled this stuff right in front of me and the other gamers at the table.

It got to be a spectator sport. People were standing up, yelling, when he'd make a roll.

And, he was making them over and over again.

It was just, simply amazing.

I've been gaming with this same player my whole entire gaming life of 24 years (since 1982). I've actually known the player since 1st grade (belive it or not), and I just turned 40 last December.

I've never seen this guy be this hot before.

It was a freak of nature. He could do no wrong.

If I'd been there, I would have applied the INT+EDU limit early on.
As I explained to Fritz, I don't like that rule. It seems like it prevents one-in-a-life-time events like what happened last night, but it also penalizes every other Traveller character with desperately needed CT skills.

I'll admit that I was evaluating using it last night, but these guys have all played Traveller with me before, and I've never used that rule.

I would have had a riot on my hands if I all of a sudden implemented that rule.

They might have tarred and feathered me.

I rolled up a HG2 character once who was promoted very rapidly thanks to naval aide and naval attache assignments. He also held 'command' at low rank, got a big INT boost from college, was eventually knighted, had a high ship tactics skill, made 06 in his early thirties, and failed re-enlistment afterwards! Coming up with his backstory was fun, let me tell you!
You see, this is EXACTLY why Traveller has the best character generation system available.

I mean, there's no way we'd be excited about a character who was created this way by just using points to detail the character.

And, who'd want a 62 year old with those stats anyway?

Traveller chargen puts the character in character generation.

I mean, I'm changing the whole beginning of my campaign because of this guy.

I wasn't expecting any player to have a ship--much less this type of player. My whole first adventure centered around the characters getting a ship.

Now, I've got to re-work that.

This is like a great sci-fi story (which is what role playing is all about, isn't it?). I'm going to work all these elements discovered in chargen around to where they make sense.

I like where it's going.

The other character, the one who was a noble (not finished with chargen yet), is a Baron on Aramis.

That's just one step below the Marquis, who holds the fief of Aramis and is married to Lady Arianne Tukera.

We haven't thought it through yet, but I'm thinking of making this other character the second-in-command-noble-dude on Aramis, right below the Marquis. I'm thinking of making Lady Arianne his sister.

And, that would make him....Tukera!

And, I'm playing a version of the Traveller Adventure.

Boy, this is sure going in some unexpected directions.

Tukera was going to be the bad guys in the campaign.

Now, I'm thinking of George R.R. Martin's "The Game of Thrones", and I'm thinking of all the infighting that must go on in one of the most powerful noble families that exist in Classic Traveller.

This is going to be very interesting indeed.

And all because of character generation--I'm building upon what occurs in chargen and not forcing the players to adhere to what I've created for the adventure before the characters were created.

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
However, I've never seen anything like that 62yo of your's! WOW!
I've never seen anything like it either.

I'm not exagerating--this dude actually rolled this stuff right in front of me and the other gamers at the table.

It got to be a spectator sport. People were standing up, yelling, when he'd make a roll.

And, he was making them over and over again.

It was just, simply amazing.

I've been gaming with this same player my whole entire gaming life of 24 years (since 1982). I've actually known the player since 1st grade (belive it or not), and I just turned 40 last December.

I've never seen this guy be this hot before.

It was a freak of nature. He could do no wrong.

If I'd been there, I would have applied the INT+EDU limit early on.
As I explained to Fritz, I don't like that rule. It seems like it prevents one-in-a-life-time events like what happened last night, but it also penalizes every other Traveller character with desperately needed CT skills.

I'll admit that I was evaluating using it last night, but these guys have all played Traveller with me before, and I've never used that rule.

I would have had a riot on my hands if I all of a sudden implemented that rule.

They might have tarred and feathered me.

I rolled up a HG2 character once who was promoted very rapidly thanks to naval aide and naval attache assignments. He also held 'command' at low rank, got a big INT boost from college, was eventually knighted, had a high ship tactics skill, made 06 in his early thirties, and failed re-enlistment afterwards! Coming up with his backstory was fun, let me tell you!
You see, this is EXACTLY why Traveller has the best character generation system available.

I mean, there's no way we'd be excited about a character who was created this way by just using points to detail the character.

And, who'd want a 62 year old with those stats anyway?

Traveller chargen puts the character in character generation.

I mean, I'm changing the whole beginning of my campaign because of this guy.

I wasn't expecting any player to have a ship--much less this type of player. My whole first adventure centered around the characters getting a ship.

Now, I've got to re-work that.

This is like a great sci-fi story (which is what role playing is all about, isn't it?). I'm going to work all these elements discovered in chargen around to where they make sense.

I like where it's going.

The other character, the one who was a noble (not finished with chargen yet), is a Baron on Aramis.

That's just one step below the Marquis, who holds the fief of Aramis and is married to Lady Arianne Tukera.

We haven't thought it through yet, but I'm thinking of making this other character the second-in-command-noble-dude on Aramis, right below the Marquis. I'm thinking of making Lady Arianne his sister.

And, that would make him....Tukera!

And, I'm playing a version of the Traveller Adventure.

Boy, this is sure going in some unexpected directions.

Tukera was going to be the bad guys in the campaign.

Now, I'm thinking of George R.R. Martin's "The Game of Thrones", and I'm thinking of all the infighting that must go on in one of the most powerful noble families that exist in Classic Traveller.

This is going to be very interesting indeed.

And all because of character generation--I'm building upon what occurs in chargen and not forcing the players to adhere to what I've created for the adventure before the characters were created.

Also, isn't basic chargen limited to 7 terms in LBB1-8? Just another IYTU you should mention. (Marc has been quoted on the T5 playtest forums as having tried to prevent the 98yo munchkin when designing previous versions of Traveller.
file_28.gif
)
I don't think I've ever noticed a rule like that either in CT. I might be wrong, but that's news to me.

Also, isn't basic chargen limited to 7 terms in LBB1-8? Just another IYTU you should mention. (Marc has been quoted on the T5 playtest forums as having tried to prevent the 98yo munchkin when designing previous versions of Traveller.
file_28.gif
)
I don't think I've ever noticed a rule like that either in CT. I might be wrong, but that's news to me.

Originally posted by Maladominus:
Dexter's Midnight Runner
That's a nice thought, especially since I think the player is going to name the character Dexter Bryte.

I was thinking, today, more of calling the ship The Adroit Pursuit.

Originally posted by Maladominus:
Dexter's Midnight Runner
That's a nice thought, especially since I think the player is going to name the character Dexter Bryte.

I was thinking, today, more of calling the ship The Adroit Pursuit.

Originally posted by FlightCommanderSolitude:
It's possible with mandatory reenlistment.
I made him roll for mandatory reenlistment every term. He never once rolled boxcars on that roll. He avoided it every time.

But, he made his friggin' re-enlistment roll every time he needed to.

Amazing. (I can't stop calling it "amazing".)

Originally posted by FlightCommanderSolitude:
It's possible with mandatory reenlistment.
I made him roll for mandatory reenlistment every term. He never once rolled boxcars on that roll. He avoided it every time.

But, he made his friggin' re-enlistment roll every time he needed to.

Amazing. (I can't stop calling it "amazing".)

Originally posted by Heretic Keklas Rekobah:
What results do ou get when YOU roll his dice?

Hmm...?

;)
They were MY DICE!

I've had them forever. I think I got them out of an old war game.

I have this big Crown Royale bag full of dice, just like every other gamer out there.

I poured the dice onto the table, and let everyone pick two.

That was it. The guy was on fire.

We, around the table, were coaching him, "Don't re-enlist! You're ahead of the game. Don't tempt fate and loose your physical stats on the aging table!"

He decided to risk it...over and over again, he risked it...and he won.

We were cheering for him, it became such an event at the table.

Originally posted by Heretic Keklas Rekobah:
What results do ou get when YOU roll his dice?

Hmm...?

;)
They were MY DICE!

I've had them forever. I think I got them out of an old war game.

I have this big Crown Royale bag full of dice, just like every other gamer out there.

I poured the dice onto the table, and let everyone pick two.

That was it. The guy was on fire.

We, around the table, were coaching him, "Don't re-enlist! You're ahead of the game. Don't tempt fate and loose your physical stats on the aging table!"

He decided to risk it...over and over again, he risked it...and he won.

We were cheering for him, it became such an event at the table.

Back