• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The most AMAZING CT character I've ever seen...

Originally posted by far-trader:
You'll note, now that you are aware of the rule, I agree with you that it seems a little odd.
Yeah, I've been thinking about the 7-term max thing, and even after what happened, I'm not going to use that rule.

Like you say, I can see an argument for it use in the military (but what about those guys who want to go on to be Pentagon officials--in the military for 40+ years?). But, I just don't see a mandatory retirement for anybody else.

Nope, I'm not going to use that rule.

If a player wants to risk having his stats assaulted when aging rolls, then I'm OK with that.

I mean, we're saying, "Sure, you can go another term, but you'll have to roll 8+ for STR, 7+ for DEX, and 8+ for END EVERY term...and it just gets worse from there.".

The odds are that characters will start getting wiped out in the stat department even if they do pick up a few skills.

Also, chances are they'll pick up about 2 skills for the term (1 base skill, plus I figure they'll make either the Special Duty or a Promotion roll...probably not both).

So, for most characters, we're talking going an extra term, having to risk three of your most valuable stats, for an average of 2 skills.

That's probably not worth the risk.

But, if you rolled well when you rolled your initial stats (like my player did), and you're on fire....and you're averaging 4 skills per term (instead of 2) because you are on fire with the dice...

...and the stars align...

...then you get a character like what happened last night.

I'm OK with that.

This isn't going to happen all that often at all. In fact, it will be pretty damn rare.

A player, with his rolls, is going to have to really earn a character like that.

And...my player earned it. He was a rolling machine.

You know, this wouldn't have been near as cool had I just fudged some rolls and made this up, forcing this type of story on the game and my players.

Because it happened the way it did--unexpectedly--with the player actually making un-known-of rolls...never-before-seen-rolls, it turned out pretty damn cool.

So, the GM that I am, I'm taking the ball and running with it.

Now, I've got a noble (that may be a Tukera noble...not decided yet) and this 62-year-old wunderkind.

I've got some true-blue sci-fi heroes to deal with here.

My average, everyday, common-man story that I was planning (I was expected normal characters during character generation, so I set up the game for a scenario where common, everyday people get caught up in unexpected events) just turned into an EPIC sci-fi story.

Because of the noble, I'm going to work politics into the story.

I'm going to have back-stabbing and inter-family rivalry.

And, I'm going to place our wunderkind 62-year old right in the middle of it.

I've got some very cool elements to work with.

Originally posted by far-trader:
You'll note, now that you are aware of the rule, I agree with you that it seems a little odd.
Yeah, I've been thinking about the 7-term max thing, and even after what happened, I'm not going to use that rule.

Like you say, I can see an argument for it use in the military (but what about those guys who want to go on to be Pentagon officials--in the military for 40+ years?). But, I just don't see a mandatory retirement for anybody else.

Nope, I'm not going to use that rule.

If a player wants to risk having his stats assaulted when aging rolls, then I'm OK with that.

I mean, we're saying, "Sure, you can go another term, but you'll have to roll 8+ for STR, 7+ for DEX, and 8+ for END EVERY term...and it just gets worse from there.".

The odds are that characters will start getting wiped out in the stat department even if they do pick up a few skills.

Also, chances are they'll pick up about 2 skills for the term (1 base skill, plus I figure they'll make either the Special Duty or a Promotion roll...probably not both).

So, for most characters, we're talking going an extra term, having to risk three of your most valuable stats, for an average of 2 skills.

That's probably not worth the risk.

But, if you rolled well when you rolled your initial stats (like my player did), and you're on fire....and you're averaging 4 skills per term (instead of 2) because you are on fire with the dice...

...and the stars align...

...then you get a character like what happened last night.

I'm OK with that.

This isn't going to happen all that often at all. In fact, it will be pretty damn rare.

A player, with his rolls, is going to have to really earn a character like that.

And...my player earned it. He was a rolling machine.

You know, this wouldn't have been near as cool had I just fudged some rolls and made this up, forcing this type of story on the game and my players.

Because it happened the way it did--unexpectedly--with the player actually making un-known-of rolls...never-before-seen-rolls, it turned out pretty damn cool.

So, the GM that I am, I'm taking the ball and running with it.

Now, I've got a noble (that may be a Tukera noble...not decided yet) and this 62-year-old wunderkind.

I've got some true-blue sci-fi heroes to deal with here.

My average, everyday, common-man story that I was planning (I was expected normal characters during character generation, so I set up the game for a scenario where common, everyday people get caught up in unexpected events) just turned into an EPIC sci-fi story.

Because of the noble, I'm going to work politics into the story.

I'm going to have back-stabbing and inter-family rivalry.

And, I'm going to place our wunderkind 62-year old right in the middle of it.

I've got some very cool elements to work with.

It's funny, too. When this all happened, one of the players said, "You're going to have to put this on the forum...but nobody's going to believe it. They're going to call bull-sh-it on you."

It's funny, too. When this all happened, one of the players said, "You're going to have to put this on the forum...but nobody's going to believe it. They're going to call bull-sh-it on you."

Ok then - I'll call bs on this character ;)
file_23.gif

By not using the Retirement rule -
A character may serve up to 7 terms voluntarily, and retire any time after the end of the 5th term...
Service beyond the seventh term is normally impossible, and retirement mandatory. However, persons who throw 12 (exactly) on the final reenlistment throw must serve an additional term of service.
you've made it much easier to serve as many terms as you want, especially in the merchants with their 4+ re-enlistment target.

But I agree with you that this rule is an artificial limit, and that the true deterrent is the aging table.
Note that MT dropped the 7 term limit.

I also ignore the Int+Edu rule - for the simple reason that too many canon NPCs already break it.
A compromise is to use Int+Edu+terms served as the limit.

By the way, once the game begins, this character can enrole on a correspondence course that will allow him/her to use time in jump space to increase his Edu up to his Int - it may take a while though ;)

Ok then - I'll call bs on this character ;)
file_23.gif

By not using the Retirement rule -
A character may serve up to 7 terms voluntarily, and retire any time after the end of the 5th term...
Service beyond the seventh term is normally impossible, and retirement mandatory. However, persons who throw 12 (exactly) on the final reenlistment throw must serve an additional term of service.
you've made it much easier to serve as many terms as you want, especially in the merchants with their 4+ re-enlistment target.

But I agree with you that this rule is an artificial limit, and that the true deterrent is the aging table.

I also ignore the Int+Edu rule - for the simple reason that too many canon NPCs already break it.

By the way, once the game begins, this character can enrole on a correspondence course that will allow him/her to use time in jump space to increase his Edu up to his Int - it may take a while though ;)

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
That's probably why I missed the 7 term limit. I started CT with the Starter Edition in 1982, but I was also playing a lot of D&D back then.

Then, MT came out, and I exclusively played MT for years.

Then, I played T4.

And now, I've rediscovered CT (and I think it's vastly superior to the other Traveller editions).

I've been thinking about this. I like the idea behind the Experience score, but I don't think it should be an absolute limit.

Instead of saying, "You can't get any more skills after this limit", what about saying, "It's harder to get skills after this limit."

I'm thinking that the roll to get skills becomes +2 harder after you reach this point.

So, a character will get his basic 1 skill per term, but make the Special Duty roll 2 points harder.

Don't change the Promotion roll, but require that the roll be 2+ over what is needed in order to get a skill.

Using the MT roll where you need 4+ to get another skill, make this 6+.

So....

You've got a Merchant character with EDU-4 INT-5, and he's alread got a total of nine skill levels during character generation.

He goes for another term and makes the reenlistment throw.

He gets his basic one skill per term.

He throws for Promotion (5+). If the throw is 7+, he gets a skill. If the throw is 11+, he gets two skills.

He throws for Special Duty. Normally, this is a 4+ throw for Merchants, but since he's reached his Experience max, the Special Duty roll becomes 6+. So, he gets an extra skill if the Special Duty roll is 6+, and he gets two skills if the extra duty roll is 10+.

I kinda like this.

I think I'm going to implement it. This will be just another way to deter multiple terms--because the benefit of going that way rapidly declines.

I wouldn't want to hamper the Promotion roll, which is why I described this as a "make the target number 2 points higher" rather than just say that the character is -2 on all skill rolls.

Yeah, I like that.

I think that just made it into my rules set.

Originally posted by Sigg Oddra:
That's probably why I missed the 7 term limit. I started CT with the Starter Edition in 1982, but I was also playing a lot of D&D back then.

Then, MT came out, and I exclusively played MT for years.

Then, I played T4.

And now, I've rediscovered CT (and I think it's vastly superior to the other Traveller editions).

I've been thinking about this. I like the idea behind the Experience score, but I don't think it should be an absolute limit.

Instead of saying, "You can't get any more skills after this limit", what about saying, "It's harder to get skills after this limit."

I'm thinking that the roll to get skills becomes +2 harder after you reach this point.

So, a character will get his basic 1 skill per term, but make the Special Duty roll 2 points harder.

Don't change the Promotion roll, but require that the roll be 2+ over what is needed in order to get a skill.

Using the MT roll where you need 4+ to get another skill, make this 6+.

So....

You've got a Merchant character with EDU-4 INT-5, and he's alread got a total of nine skill levels during character generation.

He goes for another term and makes the reenlistment throw.

He gets his basic one skill per term.

He throws for Promotion (5+). If the throw is 7+, he gets a skill. If the throw is 11+, he gets two skills.

He throws for Special Duty. Normally, this is a 4+ throw for Merchants, but since he's reached his Experience max, the Special Duty roll becomes 6+. So, he gets an extra skill if the Special Duty roll is 6+, and he gets two skills if the extra duty roll is 10+.

I kinda like this.

I think I'm going to implement it. This will be just another way to deter multiple terms--because the benefit of going that way rapidly declines.

I wouldn't want to hamper the Promotion roll, which is why I described this as a "make the target number 2 points higher" rather than just say that the character is -2 on all skill rolls.

Yeah, I like that.

I think that just made it into my rules set.

Regarding the experience/skill limit I'm trying to recall how MT did it but can't quite. I don't think it was just Edu and Int because I remember a solo-merchant I did in MT years ago. He went a lot of terms* and I recall needing to eventually start "skill shifting" but he had a lot of skills by then.

What I did instead of saying he got no more skills was roll the skills normally but allow him to "forget" levels in old skills to take new ones, or simply decline the new one, as long as the total stayed at or under the limit. I invented ;) "skill-shifting". And zero level skills didn't count (obviously) so he ended up with several skills derated to zero, some from pretty high levels but he just didn't use them anymore. "It's like flying a grav-belt, once you learn you never forget."

* Over 14 terms and still active thanks to anagathics rolls before I stopped playing. He'd almost completed his tour of Imperial space, from the Marches to the Rim and back in his upgraded free-trader.

Regarding the experience/skill limit I'm trying to recall how MT did it but can't quite. I don't think it was just Edu and Int because I remember a solo-merchant I did in MT years ago. He went a lot of terms* and I recall needing to eventually start "skill shifting" but he had a lot of skills by then.

What I did instead of saying he got no more skills was roll the skills normally but allow him to "forget" levels in old skills to take new ones, or simply decline the new one, as long as the total stayed at or under the limit. I invented ;) "skill-shifting". And zero level skills didn't count (obviously) so he ended up with several skills derated to zero, some from pretty high levels but he just didn't use them anymore. "It's like flying a grav-belt, once you learn you never forget."

* Over 14 terms and still active thanks to anagathics rolls before I stopped playing. He'd almost completed his tour of Imperial space, from the Marches to the Rim and back in his upgraded free-trader.

Hmmm,

62 years old and a 14 strength, incredible luck and no real physical or mental degeneration... Sounds like Zhodani or something to do with psionics to me. Unrealized perhaps but still a practicing one a well known black science.

There's a little something to add a tweak to the campaign.

Lord Iron Wolf

Hmmm,

62 years old and a 14 strength, incredible luck and no real physical or mental degeneration... Sounds like Zhodani or something to do with psionics to me. Unrealized perhaps but still a practicing one a well known black science.

Lord Iron Wolf

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:

I rolled up a HG2 character once who was promoted very rapidly thanks to naval aide and naval attache assignments. He also held 'command' at low rank, got a big INT boost from college, was eventually knighted, had a high ship tactics skill, made 06 in his early thirties, and failed re-enlistment afterwards! Coming up with his backstory was fun, let me tell you!
Bill,

OK, I have to know. What did you come up with?

WJP- Hmmm. A 62 year old with STR-14 and some pretty high skill levels (which could be explained as good learning aptitude). Sounds like a product of someone's pet genetic engineering project. And WHY, exactly, does a high-ranking noble with ties to the Tukera family go about with this guy?

It's enough to make you wonder, isn't it?

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:

I rolled up a HG2 character once who was promoted very rapidly thanks to naval aide and naval attache assignments. He also held 'command' at low rank, got a big INT boost from college, was eventually knighted, had a high ship tactics skill, made 06 in his early thirties, and failed re-enlistment afterwards! Coming up with his backstory was fun, let me tell you!
Bill,

OK, I have to know. What did you come up with?

WJP- Hmmm. A 62 year old with STR-14 and some pretty high skill levels (which could be explained as good learning aptitude). Sounds like a product of someone's pet genetic engineering project. And WHY, exactly, does a high-ranking noble with ties to the Tukera family go about with this guy?

It's enough to make you wonder, isn't it?

C-C,

I ended up fitting him neatly into MTU. I made him a scion of a regionally powerful merchantile clan. He attended GLIPS at Glisten/Glisten and joined NROTC there because that's what you do in his family. You don't stay in for 20 years though!

Some facts about him:

- At the time I was using the "Roll 2D6 six times and arrange the results as you wish" method. The character ended up with average physical stats, a high INT (B), and 9 each for EDU and SOC.
- He maxed out on the college education bonus roll, getting +4 on a 1D6-2. He rolled honors too, gaining another +1 education bonus. That's an EDU of E if your keeping count.
- He made O5 (commander) in two terms thanks to his initial commission, two promotions, and two naval attache tours.
- He was knighted before he reached 32 thanks to three assignment mandated +1 SOC bumps. In two terms he was an attache twice and an aide once. He was knighted in the last year of his second term.
- In his first two terms (8 years), he held command three times. His command assignments were all patrols. His assignments went as follows; initial training, attache, patrol, patrol, aide, patrol, training, attache.
- Over the next three terms, his rolls were more normal and sometimes disappointing. He made O6 (captain) in term three and never was promoted again. He still commands more often than not. His assignments included two training tours, a Command College tour, and a normal mix of battles, patrols, sieges, and strikes.
- He recieved an average number of decorations; mostly MCUFs and two MCGs, over the five terms.
- He failed his re-enlistment roll after his fifth term.

After rolling him up, I 'fit' him during a long air trip. He's a 'golden boy', smart, well educated, from a powerful/rich family. He carries a name famous in merchantile circles. He was made to order for the Imperial Naval Staff at Glisten.

IMTU, the period between the 4th and 5th Frontier Wars was like the period between the 1st and 2nd World Wars on Earth. Everyone with half a brain knows a war is coming but no one knows when. Now, add to that backdrop the old saw that militaries always plan on fighting the last war. The last real war, the 3rd Frontier War, lasted seven years and was primarily characterized by commerce raiding. Golden Boy is from a merchantile family. See how it begins to fit?

I had him serve between 1092 and 1112. His first 15 years is marked by Imperial preparations to re-fight the 3rd FW. The Zhos, Swordies, and Vargr are going to raid shipping. The Imperium is going to need to protect shipping. There's going to be patrols, convoys, departure delays, embargos, changes in routes, all sorts of thing that are going to make merchants and merchant house angry - especially those merchants and merchantile houses on either side of the Imperial border.

Golden Boy gets tapped as the 'face' of the IN's patrol preparations. He's from a well known merchantile family so he can 'feel' the merchant's 'pain'. He is carefully briefed and posted to embassies in District 268 for this purpose.

He's smart and well bred so he does very well in the 'diplomatic navy'. The foreign service loves him, promotions come fast, he serves on some heavy hitter's staff, gets small patrol commands in order to be seen 'showing the flag', and gets knighted by the Duchess for all his fine work.

For most of his 3rd term, he's either training for commerce protection or performing it. All his service is in what is called IMTU's IN the 'small navy'; escorts and patrollers.

The war finally breaks late in his 4th term. He's in command of a training unit (an agressor flotilla perhaps?) when the balloon goes up. He fights his war in and around the District, always involved in the commerce raiding and/or protecting end of things.

After the war ends, his career pretty much ends too. He's been pigeonholed from the start, you see. Good, even superb, at what he does but the IN doesn't need that done much anymore. He commands another unit through a training cycle, makes a patrol deployment in which he doesn't command (!!!), and can't re-enlist.

I decided he put together a patrol flotilla to help clear the remains of the Vargr's 40 Squadron out of Regina and Aramis subsectors fully expecting to lead it as an O7 (commodore). That command and promotion wasn't forthcoming however. The job went to an academy grad; i.e. Ring Knockers' Protection Society, and Golden Boy served as flag captain instead.

Then, as the IN slowly demobilized, there were fewer billets to go around. The RKPS swung into action again so scads of NROTC and OCS types found themselves 'on the beach'. Golden Boy was among them.

The character didn't fit into the campaign I was 'rolling' him for, but he was also too good to toss out. I recycled him as a recurring NPC, one of those background characters I used to give MTU a feeling of continuity.

Have fun,
Bill

C-C,

I ended up fitting him neatly into MTU. I made him a scion of a regionally powerful merchantile clan. He attended GLIPS at Glisten/Glisten and joined NROTC there because that's what you do in his family. You don't stay in for 20 years though!

Some facts about him:

- At the time I was using the "Roll 2D6 six times and arrange the results as you wish" method. The character ended up with average physical stats, a high INT (B), and 9 each for EDU and SOC.
- He maxed out on the college education bonus roll, getting +4 on a 1D6-2. He rolled honors too, gaining another +1 education bonus. That's an EDU of E if your keeping count.
- He made O5 (commander) in two terms thanks to his initial commission, two promotions, and two naval attache tours.
- He was knighted before he reached 32 thanks to three assignment mandated +1 SOC bumps. In two terms he was an attache twice and an aide once. He was knighted in the last year of his second term.
- In his first two terms (8 years), he held command three times. His command assignments were all patrols. His assignments went as follows; initial training, attache, patrol, patrol, aide, patrol, training, attache.
- Over the next three terms, his rolls were more normal and sometimes disappointing. He made O6 (captain) in term three and never was promoted again. He still commands more often than not. His assignments included two training tours, a Command College tour, and a normal mix of battles, patrols, sieges, and strikes.
- He recieved an average number of decorations; mostly MCUFs and two MCGs, over the five terms.
- He failed his re-enlistment roll after his fifth term.

After rolling him up, I 'fit' him during a long air trip. He's a 'golden boy', smart, well educated, from a powerful/rich family. He carries a name famous in merchantile circles. He was made to order for the Imperial Naval Staff at Glisten.

IMTU, the period between the 4th and 5th Frontier Wars was like the period between the 1st and 2nd World Wars on Earth. Everyone with half a brain knows a war is coming but no one knows when. Now, add to that backdrop the old saw that militaries always plan on fighting the last war. The last real war, the 3rd Frontier War, lasted seven years and was primarily characterized by commerce raiding. Golden Boy is from a merchantile family. See how it begins to fit?

I had him serve between 1092 and 1112. His first 15 years is marked by Imperial preparations to re-fight the 3rd FW. The Zhos, Swordies, and Vargr are going to raid shipping. The Imperium is going to need to protect shipping. There's going to be patrols, convoys, departure delays, embargos, changes in routes, all sorts of thing that are going to make merchants and merchant house angry - especially those merchants and merchantile houses on either side of the Imperial border.

Golden Boy gets tapped as the 'face' of the IN's patrol preparations. He's from a well known merchantile family so he can 'feel' the merchant's 'pain'. He is carefully briefed and posted to embassies in District 268 for this purpose.

He's smart and well bred so he does very well in the 'diplomatic navy'. The foreign service loves him, promotions come fast, he serves on some heavy hitter's staff, gets small patrol commands in order to be seen 'showing the flag', and gets knighted by the Duchess for all his fine work.

For most of his 3rd term, he's either training for commerce protection or performing it. All his service is in what is called IMTU's IN the 'small navy'; escorts and patrollers.

The war finally breaks late in his 4th term. He's in command of a training unit (an agressor flotilla perhaps?) when the balloon goes up. He fights his war in and around the District, always involved in the commerce raiding and/or protecting end of things.

After the war ends, his career pretty much ends too. He's been pigeonholed from the start, you see. Good, even superb, at what he does but the IN doesn't need that done much anymore. He commands another unit through a training cycle, makes a patrol deployment in which he doesn't command (!!!), and can't re-enlist.

I decided he put together a patrol flotilla to help clear the remains of the Vargr's 40 Squadron out of Regina and Aramis subsectors fully expecting to lead it as an O7 (commodore). That command and promotion wasn't forthcoming however. The job went to an academy grad; i.e. Ring Knockers' Protection Society, and Golden Boy served as flag captain instead.

Then, as the IN slowly demobilized, there were fewer billets to go around. The RKPS swung into action again so scads of NROTC and OCS types found themselves 'on the beach'. Golden Boy was among them.

The character didn't fit into the campaign I was 'rolling' him for, but he was also too good to toss out. I recycled him as a recurring NPC, one of those background characters I used to give MTU a feeling of continuity.

Have fun,
Bill

Originally posted by Lord Iron Wolf:

Heeeeyyy. Really cool, Wolf. Yeah, I like that.

I hadn't thought of psionics or the Zho's.

I like coming up with stuff like this, too--these 'easter eggs'--and then springing them on the players mid-campaign. Having them discover something new about themselves just when they thought they knew everything about their characters.

Yes, good suggestion.

Makes from some really cool story turns.

I'm thinking, right now, of Boomer in the new Battlestar Galactica--how she didn't know she was a Cylon and she had to come to grips with it.

What a shock to the psyche, to believe you're one thing your whole life only to find out something totally different.

It's so....it's so...sci-fi.

I like that a lot.

I'm going to work with that.

Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by Lord Iron Wolf:

Heeeeyyy. Really cool, Wolf. Yeah, I like that.

I hadn't thought of psionics or the Zho's.

I like coming up with stuff like this, too--these 'easter eggs'--and then springing them on the players mid-campaign. Having them discover something new about themselves just when they thought they knew everything about their characters.

Yes, good suggestion.

Makes from some really cool story turns.

I'm thinking, right now, of Boomer in the new Battlestar Galactica--how she didn't know she was a Cylon and she had to come to grips with it.

What a shock to the psyche, to believe you're one thing your whole life only to find out something totally different.

It's so....it's so...sci-fi.

I like that a lot.

I'm going to work with that.

Thanks for the tip.

Thought regarding the seven-term limit in CT...

What about this--

Instead of mandatory retirement after seven terms, what about making the re-enlistment throw, regardless of career, equal to the number of terms served.

So, starting with Term 8, it would be a 8+ to re-enlist.

Term 9 is a 9+. Term 10 is a 10+. Term 13+ is only possible with mandatory re-enlistment.

I need to check the careers to see if any other career has a re-enlistment of 8+ (I don't think there is one that goes that high).

If not, I think I have a new house rule to prevent characters from doing what the super-62-year-old did the other night.

Thoughts on that?

Thoughts?

Thought regarding the seven-term limit in CT...

What about this--

Instead of mandatory retirement after seven terms, what about making the re-enlistment throw, regardless of career, equal to the number of terms served.

So, starting with Term 8, it would be a 8+ to re-enlist.

Term 9 is a 9+. Term 10 is a 10+. Term 13+ is only possible with mandatory re-enlistment.

I need to check the careers to see if any other career has a re-enlistment of 8+ (I don't think there is one that goes that high).

If not, I think I have a new house rule to prevent characters from doing what the super-62-year-old did the other night.

Thoughts on that?

Thoughts?

Back