• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

The (N+1)th Discussion on Interstellar Traffic

I got the impression that to the Vilani governor, it was a matter of keeping the books balanced, and controlling the information flow back to the capital.

Losing control of the situation would reflect badly on their job evaluation.
This could be humorous (in retrospect).

"Yes, we lost control of the sector... but we were Grade-A+ Standards Compliant!"

But isn't that why sanctions work..."I've outsourced by critical infrastructure...and now I can't access it!"

Although that was also the start of many a government..."We outsourced the military to (Mercenaries, Janissaries, Lower Social Classes, etc - just pick one) and then they staged a coup!"

In Traveller context, I think most worlds can be industrially self reliant, if they want to be.

Certain critical high tech equipment might need to be imported.

As regards global and/or balkanized security, probably specific to the threats to the ruling regime.

In Traveller context, I think most worlds can be industrially self reliant, if they want to be.

Certain critical high tech equipment might need to be imported.

As regards global and/or balkanized security, probably specific to the threats to the ruling regime.
I’m pretty good with Traveller’s population threshold of non-industrial. Just not enough to sustain it even if they are overlooking robots.

In an established interstellar community IMO tech is largely a function of economic value, whether self sufficiency or trade.

With T5 adding a pair of "pre-" codes to the Agricultural and Industrial groups, there are four steps in each. How the codes impact the trade rules strongly imply that the two end points (Non- and either Ag or In) represent notable net importers and net exporters, while the no-code and pre-code steps are a little harder to easily distinguish.

Pre-Industrial implies a preparatory stage when a world, much like a full Industrial world, is soaking up raw materials at a mad rate. The difference is that the world is not processing for export, but instead processing for internal use, be it infrastructure, population support, or additional steps in the processing chain. In a setting where world development can be watched, a pre-Industrial world is a small boomtown of almost a billion people, looking for and rewarding its entrepreneurs, potential oligarchs, and technological visionaries.

Pre-Agricultural is a little harder to pin down, as the conditions for the Ag code sit in the middle of the Population range instead of one end. Pre-Ag is either too few or too many people, so a world either lacks the manpower to manage the resources, or is starting to outrun its production ability with population growth. If a Pop 8 world wants to regain its Ag rating, either it has to encourage most of its 18 year olds to go offworld for college (and not come back), or classify anyone over 50 as a farm animal.

I think PreAg pop8 is a place where there is a lot of small scale family farms/cottage industry. To really get serious ag output, those family farms/cottage industries need to be zoned bought out and all those kids convinced there’s no good paying work here and they need to move away. (unless they own a megafarm)

But isn't that why sanctions work..."I've outsourced by critical infrastructure...and now I can't access it!"

Although that was also the start of many a government..."We outsourced the military to (Mercenaries, Janissaries, Lower Social Classes, etc - just pick one) and then they staged a coup!"
that's about as close to current politics as is allowed outside the pit. Right up to the line, but not across it.

But, yes, that is indeed part of why sanctions work.

For agricultural and industrial, it may be more a question of (interstellar) scale.

You could have a small population, but vast automated factories and/or farms.

And since local demand would be relatively small, would need export markets.

Some historians argue that the Angles, Saxons, Danes and Jutes that the Romans brought from the continent to Britain were a bit miffed when the Romans left, they stopped getting paid. There is also evidence that the richer strata of post Roman Britain continued to hire Germanic mercenaries with gifts of land.

So they took land, brought across their families and intermarried with the locals (lots of genetic evidence for this). There was some conflict but what is obvious about the Anglo-Saxon conquest of England is that it was 'mostly peaceful'.

This is likely to the model that many an Aslan conquest takes. Aslan are hired as mercenaries, they take payment in land. There are an awful lot of sparsely populated planets that could easily support a few million Aslan...

Now those Aslan will go native after a while - they respect higher authority and integrate to a point. That means you have a new market to sell goods to.

Last edited:
It's the intermarried part, that may have a hitch to it for interstellar migration.

Specific to the British Isles, Iron Age to the Middle ones aren't likely clearcut in terms of demographics, but if it's in reference to unretired Roman auxiliaries, those probably returned to the continent on recall, and I think the Federated ones tended to stick to their regions.

Going by conventional history, the Saxons and friends were hired as mercenaries by British chieftains, and either were betrayed, or not paid, or were just opportunists; it's possible that retired Legionaries invited friends and family over for a cook out.

Back