• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

MGT Only: The Third Imperium - eBook & Pre-Order

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Administrator
Mongoose
Good news - the long awaited Traveller sourcebook covering The Third Imperium is finally here! Written by Chris Griffen, this mighty tome is your guide to the greatest empire of Charted Space and its heart, Core sector.

You can grab your own copy right here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/the-third-imperium.html

North American Travellers can find theirs here: https://www.mongoosepublishing.com/us/the-third-imperium.html

travthirdimp.jpg

The Third Imperium is the greatest interstellar empire in the history of Charted Space. Its Emperors have reigned for a thousand years, building a utopian society based upon the pillars of duty, honour, free trade and a powerful navy that protects its worlds and enforces its laws.

Despite all of its grand achievements, the Imperium has a dark side. It has committed genocide on its own worlds. Its leaders have assassinated and murdered each other in battle to obtain the throne. A civil war nearly tore it apart, ending the dream of its visionary first Emperor. Yet with all the Imperium has been through, it has somehow endured. The Third Imperium is at a crossroads, and choices made now will determine whether it survives or crumbles.

Into this realm enters a bold group of Travellers, seeking fame, fortune and adventure in hallowed the Core sector, the ancient centre of human civilisation, where dreams are made and broken. This book contains everything Travellers and Referees need to travel and adventure in the heart of the Third Imperium, including:

• A huge poster map of the Core sector.
• Detailed descriptions of the people, society, military forces and power brokers of the Third Imperium.
• The complete history of the Third Imperium as it has never been told before.
• The Core sector, the heart of the Imperium, including playable human and alien races and world descriptions for all 16 subsectors.
• New starships, vehicles, weapons, armour and gear for use in Core sector campaigns or anywhere else in the Third Imperium.

The galaxy is rich with opportunity, nowhere more so than at the heart of the Third Imperium. Travellers need only be bold enough to claim their share of the fortune.

Its Emperors have reigned for a thousand years, building a utopian society based upon the pillars of duty, honour, free trade and a powerful navy that protects its worlds and enforces its laws.
Really?

I mean, I'm no Imperium expert, but I've never heard "utopia" in the same sentence as the Imperium. It always seemed to me to be anything but.

Perhaps if you have a controlling interest in MegaCorp it may well be, but for everyone else? I dunno about that.

I will pass judgement once I have read it.

Very nice book, many people will like it, it's not a bad ATU.

Last edited:
Really?

I mean, I'm no Imperium expert, but I've never heard "utopia" in the same sentence as the Imperium. It always seemed to me to be anything but.

Perhaps if you have a controlling interest in MegaCorp it may well be, but for everyone else? I dunno about that.
That's their self-image, and the PR spin. The reality... maybe not so much. :)

The book appears to be written from a pro-Imperial point of view, and introduces technologies never seen before in the OTU, including a Dune like personal force field at TL15...
at a stretch a T5 purist could rename the ion rifles as EMP rifles.

Last edited:
Black Globe Generators for starships are introduced at CT TL=15 and only in USP code factors: 1-4.
I have a hard time believing that there are man portable (as in, small enough to be carried by a person) versions that would be viable in any environment other than a vacuum. After all, energy/matter contacting a Black Globe field gets absorbed and converted into EP that needs to be stored (somewhere) to avoid self-destruction. Simple contact with atmosphere/terrain in a terrestrial setting would quickly overload any man portable type of Black Globe (I mean, what's the energy capacity of a Jump-0 sophont, even with equipment and g-compensators?).

Yeah, personal force field technology is NOT an OTU thing (except maybe among The Ancients, and even then it would have to be White Globe tech at the minimum, if not Silver Globe to reflect all the incoming energy adequately).

When I saw Chris was the author, I ordered the book right away.
I like that the artwork is a bit abstract.
I wish the Vargr were less "humans with dog heads" though. The Mongoose 1st Edition Vargr Alien Module is the look I still use.

Back