• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Q: Order of Deneb, Order of the Spinward Marches, Order of the Third Imperium

It probably depends on the Sector in question. We're you interested in a particular region?
I was more trying to think on the Sector Orders. Not all Sectors with Imperial worlds will have orders, sure, but I was trying to figure out the order of precedence, and how many total orders there are. Here is a speculative list:
  • Order of Alpha Crucis
  • Order of Antares
  • Order of Core
  • Order of Corridor
  • Order of Dagudashaag
  • Order of Daibei
  • Order of Delphi
  • Order of the Deneb Frontier (has to be named something different than the Domain Order)
  • Order of Diaspora
  • Order of the Empty Quarter
  • Order of Fornast
  • Order of Gushemege
  • Order of Ilelish Sector
  • Order of Ley
  • Order of Lishun
  • Order of Massilia
  • Order of the Old Expanses
  • Order of the Reft
  • Order of the Solomani Rim
  • Order of the Spinward Marches
  • Order of the Trojan Reach
  • Order of the Verge
  • Order of Vland
  • Order of Zarushagar
Some of these seem very unlikely; the Trojan Reach is sparsely settled by Imperials, for example, but several of the world's there were settled hundreds of years ago which gives enough time for an Order to have been established. You've put three in the wiki that we have solid information on, Spinward Marches (which only exists post-Norris IIRC), Solomani Rim, and Fornast, all of which come from Patent Cards. I guess precedence would start with "longer-established Orders have earlier precedence" and then that could get modified by the status of the Sovereign/ actions of the Order/and so on?

Also, how would Corridor maintain an Order? It would take months for members to get from one side to the other. Do they have two Orders, Coreward and Rimward?

Just lots of pedantic questions on minutia that will probably never come up in game.

I was more trying to think on the Sector Orders. Not all Sectors with Imperial worlds will have orders, sure, but I was trying to figure out the order of precedence, and how many total orders there are. Here is a speculative list:
  • Order of Antares
  • Order of the Deneb Frontier (has to be named something different than the Domain Order)
  • Order of Ilelish Sector
  • Order of Vland

Each of the above potentially create conflicts with domain Orders. The Vland Domain Order was not always specified as "Ancient", and was originally reconstituted from the earlier pre-Domain Order of Vland created by Cleon I in year 0 or thereabouts, as were the Order of Sylea and Order of Terra that was later transformed into the Order of Sol in the 580s when the first Archduke was appointed to that Domain.

Perhaps:
  • Sector Order of Antares
  • Sector Order of Deneb
  • Sector Order of Ilelish
  • Sector Order of Vland
This would also create more distinctive post nominals.

I guess precedence would start with "longer-established Orders have earlier precedence" and then that could get modified by the status of the Sovereign/ actions of the Order/and so on?

Yes .

Perhaps:
  • Sector Order of Antares
  • Sector Order of Deneb
  • Sector Order of Ilelish
  • Sector Order of Vland
This would also create more distinctive post nominals.
Yes, in my home game wiki, I've started putting reference pages for the post nominals, ostensibly (in-game rationale) because people will look them up, but actually so that I can be sure I don't have duplicates.

You know, I have a new respect for the Imperial College of Heralds, as they have an absolute monster of a job. Made worse, probably, by Porfiria abolishing the rule of "no metals on metals, no colours on colours" in 247.

There's this, but it's incomplete:

Incomplete because completing it is well beyond the needs of an actual game, and as of 1116, quite a lot of it is about to become obsolete.

That said, the Subsector Dukes of Verge and Fornast are projects I've undertaken. The Verge Dukes of 1116 are here on Citizens, and backdated to 1105 in the wiki. Fornast's 1105 Dukes are not in a public place. Yet.

There's a topic here in "In the OTU" (currently on the second page of topics) for Verge that has that information. The backdating is in the subsector pages for Verge on the wiki. The two listings are generationally different in a few cases.

There's this, but it's incomplete:

Some more sector dukes are told about in (I guess) canon sources. Those are the ones I could think about (and research from the sources I remember):

• According CT DA04 (Marooned/Marooned alone), the Duke of Harlequin sector (Solomani Rim) is Dmitri hault.Fionbrea in 1107
  • According Challenge #62, Duchess Victoria of Oasis is the ruler of Oasis and wolf Subsectors (Zarushagard Sector)
  • MT: Astrogator’s Guide to Diaspora mentioned Dukes Geraldo of Aluza and Withers of Pasdaruu being removed by Lucan in the middle 1120s, and Duke Ilirikgaadli of Sufren to have been ousted. They are not specifically refered as subsector dukes, but all of them are Dukes of a subsector capital...

Last edited:
Some more sector dukes are told about in (I guess) canon sources. Those are the ones I could think about (and research from the sources I remember):

• According CT DA04 (Marooned/Marooned alone), the Duke of Harlequin sector (Solomani Rim) is Dmitri hault.Fionbrea in 1107
  • According Challenge #62, Duchess Victoria of Oasis is the ruler of Oasis and wolf Subsectors (Zarushagard Sector)
  • MT: Astrogator’s Guide to Diaspora mentioned Dukes Geraldo of Aluza and Withers of Pasdaruu being removed by Lucan in the middle 1120s, and Duke Ilirikgaadli of Sufren to have been ousted. They are not specifically refered as subsector dukes, but all of them are Dukes of a subsector capital...

MT in particular seems to have used/introduced the particular style for Subsector Dukes in the name of the Capital World instead of the Subsector Name. Duke Craig of Warinir (world), for example, instead of Duke Craig of Edge (Subsector).

IMTU, any subsector Duke can be the Grandmaster of his own order of Knights, and use it to reward the citizens of that subsector. However, the Emperor is always the Sovereign of the order, and has the ability to reject it. I based mine off the Order of Australia and the Legion of Honour.

However, most of those orders are pretty low in prestige, so anyone with any ambition aims for a Sector or Domain order, if not Imperial.

IMTU, any subsector Duke can be the Grandmaster of his own order of Knights, and use it to reward the citizens of that subsector. However, the Emperor is always the Sovereign of the order, and has the ability to reject it. I based mine off the Order of Australia and the Legion of Honour.

However, most of those orders are pretty low in prestige, so anyone with any ambition aims for a Sector or Domain order, if not Imperial.

That is similar to what was first introduced in Cirque de Cirkas and Imperiallines #7 as "Retainer Knights", which are more or less Bachelor Knighthoods (as far as their official standing goes) put forth by Subsector Dukes for their own needs, and have standing really only as far as the Subsector Duke's reach, or for others who care to extend the courtesy further, but are otherwise recommended to an Archduke or the Emperor for promotion to an actual Order for official sanction (or at least to an Imperial/Archducal Bachelorship). Their form is "Knight Retainer, [Subsector Name]".

Last edited:
Back