• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

thinking about the Drake Equation...

Another not mentioned possibility is they come here to make contact but are so alien in nature we can't figure out what they want. Instead, their contact attempts amount to a form of insanity to us. It might be something like the anime Otherside Picnic. In this case, it wouldn't be so much an alternate reality / universe, so much as they are injecting and altering our reality in ways that are beyond our technology and understanding.
Reminds me of the methane intelligences from the Chanurverse.

9.Trade. Trade useless trinkets to the hairless savages for valuable metals, minerals, radioactives, interesting biologicals, etc...
10. Soldiers. Through slavery or treaty, used as low tech cannon fodder/meat shields against another interstellar civilization.
11. Entertainment. Battle Arenas, Death Game Shows, Intelligent Alien Zoo Exhibit, etc...
12. "Ant" farms...

The more we find out about the evolution of Earth, the more that evolution resulting in us seems unlikely.

I ran across a recent revision (on YouTube) of the Drake equation that turned part of the math around to come to a rough minimal estimate of civilizations in the galaxy/universe. I'd not seen it looked at that way before.

Then last night I saw the most recent simulations for explaining the proto-Earth/Thea collison/creation of the moon. Seems Thea "most likely" started with an orbit around the Earth's trailing Lagrange point (well...the video seemed to show it in the trailing point. I suppose it could be eaither at the current level of investigation). That's yet again a more restrictive scenario than the original hypothesis, and there are good reasons to add the restriction to the scenario.

Right. And just how likely is a planet the size of Mars to end up orbiting the Lagrange point of a planet not quite the size of Earth? The possibility of that ought to account for a few more zeros in the Drake estimate.

Aliens have come to earth looking for “pet rocks” from intercepted signals. Nowhere else in the universe has a sentient race domesticated a living lithosphere and xeno-litho-cultural anthropologists are flocking to Earth to attempt to be the first to observe this alleged bonding pair. So far they have thousands of hours of data on priestesss and their “crystals” to gather positive energy … but only speculation on the elusive “pet rocks”.

the simple issue of being contacted by someone with a higher tech level will probably not end well for us judging by the historical precedents on Earth. Maybe they will let us live on reservation. This is of course assuming they notice us before strip mining the planet.

Academic studies, the way we do with wildlife, that is what happened in my universe, and they "fogged" the solar system like in three body problem, so even though we can see out, it is 20,000 years out of date. It actually breaks about 50 years ago, though we'll not see it for a while yet.

So, let me ask this.

Given all that's said here, how does Brilliant Lances fall short?

Let's disregard the design system for the moment, how does BL not live up to these requirements?

It has all of these things. Big guns, little guns, armor, "agility", "power points", missiles, point defense, ECM, ECCM, sensors, big hits crit small ship. Really big hits crit really big ships.

It has damage boxes, it can accommodate multiple systems, redundant systems, multiple spinals, etc.

If you want to just line fleets up ala HG and Let Fly, I'm sure it can manage that as well. Simplify the movement system, sure. Maybe Master Fire Directors are a bit fiddly, fine -- yank 'em out. Or line them up ala Battle Rider and crit each other to death.

Not suggesting its perfect, but seems to be the closest thing to a foundation that we have that can be tweaked vs just starting from scratch.

Because, lets be clear, this is not a "take LBB combat and 'fix' it", this is a goal driven design of a new combat system. The bathwater is gone, and the baby is clinging to the edge of the tub.

Two more possibilities:

The aliens have come not for trade so much, as to sell you something you don't need like magazine subscriptions in their impossible to read language...

The aliens have come to spread the "truth" and convert you into "True believers" whatever that may take...

The more we find out about the evolution of Earth, the more that evolution resulting in us seems unlikely.

I ran across a recent revision (on YouTube) of the Drake equation that turned part of the math around to come to a rough minimal estimate of civilizations in the galaxy/universe. I'd not seen it looked at that way before.

That is the whole purpose of it. if one ignores the detectibility term, one gets how many civs.
Drake himself mentions this in an interview on TV in the late 1970's or early 1980's.

That is also foundational to his entire Uplift cycle. (It's good.) His assumptions and biases put there being at least several tens of thousands of civilizations in the galaxy, and the series of novels is a love-letter to the zoo hypothesis and an enslavement hypothesis all in one.

Back