• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

TNE Sourcebook

If a portion of the new material is to be an 4Imp equipment guide, what about extrapolated/apocryphal equipment? The Imperial Arsenal from T4 had strange Rule of Man equipment...

I hated TNE *as a Traveller setting*, and I wouldn't buy anything that just continued it.

But a Fourth Imperium and getting the storyline back on track is *exactly* what I want. If it does what it says on the tin, I'll buy a copy.

The only warning I have is this: don't make the setting locked into a single set of overly-dramatic story arcs. Give characters leeway to do what they want, don't force them to slipstream the major NPCs: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/br/br20010518a
Library Data, not Hard Times. If I want to use the setting and adventure on a dozen worlds that aren't about to be destroyed by a story arc, I should be free to do so.

If it sells well is there any chance that this can be the official setting for T5? I want the Far Future, not historical SF.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by robmyers:
If it sells well is there any chance that this can be the official setting for T5? I want the Far Future, not historical SF.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope not. My hope is that T5 will emerge as one game system, many milieus. In which a core rule set could be developed to handle everything from the Ancients spread across the galaxy, to the raise of the Vilani to the Rule of Man to the Third Imperium to the Virus to the Far Far Far Future. One could have individual supplements that deal with the hard rules, eg. High Guard (Starship construction rules TL 7 to TL M) but also have milieu books which would show how these rules could be applied to a storyline.

Your comments about historical SF are quite valid if cripples the potential of the game like it did for T4. Grounding things in Milieu 0 alienated many of us. But most would agree that Milieu 0 was the best of the supplements that came out.

Ideally, one would like to see in T20, a sourcebook entitled the Third Imperium which highlights the Classic Traveller campaign from its humble beginnings of Cleon right up to 1000s. If T20 is going to involve the 3I meddling in Gateway. For we have seen wider snapshots of all the other interstellar superpowers/major races and have used that to draw conclusions about the 3I.

Maybe why we have not seen such a product is because the 3I is us. Meaning if you are Americans, you see the 3I as the United States. If you are British, you see it as the incarnate of the British empire of the 19th century. If you are Czech, you see it as a declining Russian empire. If you are Japanese, you may see it as the Shogunate. etc. If someone wants to continue this thread, I strongly encourage them, as I am extermely interested to see how SF get read with other cultural lenses. My sense but that is because I am a Canadian is that Traveller refracts rather reflects American cultural values.

I have to agree with Kafka again (sorry I haven't sent you my comments on your kind e-mail, molto busy at moment!)

In the 20+ years of playing Traveller I have never seen the 3I as a reflection of the current American 'empire'. It was quite the British Empire or the Roman one either.

There are of course parallels, I always thought the Zhodani Consulate was a reflection of one view of the cold war Russian state and the Solomani were a reflection of the Nazi state. However, both of these 'evil empires' had elements that undercut that stereotype. What is so great about CT and MT is that it is a true sci-fi setting which is independent of today but has usable parallels.

The Star Vikings on the other hand were just a bunch of US marines from T2k set in space, Dave Nilsen's conception of how to fill a sci-fi universe was so much more impoverished than MWM, et al.

Which is why I would like to see a TNE future without the Star Vikings!!!!!!

TNE Sourcebook FAQ:

1. What rules version will the sourcebook use?
The sourcebook is statless, and can be used with any Traveller rules set.

2. What's in the book?
Historical data covers the period of the Collapse (1116-30), the Dark Years (1130-1195), the Recovery (1196-1220), the Founding (1221-1248), while the bulk of the book deals with the Current setting: Year 1248 by the Third Imperium reckoning.

3. Founding of what?
The Fourth Imperium.

4. But neither the Regency nor the Reformation Coalition is likely to found a 4th Imperium.
That's right.

5. But there IS a 4th Imperium?
Yes. And a legitimate one at that.

6. What's the setting like?
There are several quite major powers (nothing on the scale of the old Imperium though), from a couple of subsectors up to a sector in size. Between then are "border" areas and "wilds", through which tenuous Trade Corridors have been forced. There is room for exploration, pocket empires and reconstruction out in the Wilds, alongside a "Stable Imperium" setting and even conflict between the major powers.

7. And the Empress Wave? Does it smash civilisation flat?
The Wave is already in Imperial space. And no, it doesn't flatten everything, though it is the cause of some trouble.

8. So what does it do?
Sorry. That's one of the big story arcs.

9. The Star Vikings?
Have left what used to be Imperial Space. As willing scapegoats for the darker deeds of the Recovery, the Vikings have embarked upon an heroic enterprise that takes them far away from Imperial Space. Their story is not over, though.

10. What's this about psionic knights?
These aren't the psionic knights you're looking for. No, really, forget about that one. No Jedi, OK?

11. Virus?
Virus is part of the canon setting. Some things about it have been tweaked somewhat, however, and it is simply an aspect of the setting rather than a major factor.

12. What is the New Era?
It means different things in different places, but in the "Core" setting (the 4th Imperium) the New Era was declared in 1248, when a suitable candidate was finally found to ascend to the Vacant Throne of the 4th Imperium.

13. What's in the Black Curtain?
Bad stuff, mostly. All will be revealed in the sourcebook.

Oh, and as an old lover of the faithful Marches, I do hope that the Daryens will continue and the Sword Worlders will recover their subsector.

Hopefully late 2002.

Swordworlders and daryens? Hmm. Things are a foot in the Marches.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MJD:
Hopefully late 2002.

Swordworlders and daryens? Hmm. Things are a foot in the Marches.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A year? A Year?! We've got to wait a whole YEAR?!? Oh ****!

Seriously the FAQ hints at some very interesting stuff; and some very shrewd thinking about moving things forward despite some of the debate there has been in the past about various aspects of TNE. I for one wait with baited breath...

Well, before you kill off the Daryens, don't forget that they *DO* have a working Star Trigger ...

And while I think Entrope would have to be completely idiotic to ever go back to the SW (after having their starport bombed to hell), I do hope that the Sword Worlders get a semi-cohesive hold on their subsector again. (And by semi-cohesive I don't necessarily mean a single government. Just one or more governments independent of the Regency and Zhodani.)

After the collapse of the Regency and the formation of the League of Deneb, there is a lot of wiggle room for the Daryen, Aslan, and Swordies. The Zhodani Confederation won't be intervening... not cohesively anyway.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MT++:
And if there is a playtest this time I want my ME TOO registered now<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was pretty silly at the time all those people "me too"ing on the T20 playtest, but considering the fact that they ended up being the playtesters and I didn't, I at this point feel no shame or hesitation in shouting a proud ME TOO!

Playtest??

Hadn't thought about that.

It might be useful to release an early version of the sourcebook for comment and error-trapping, I suppose. But since there are no rules, a playtest as such seems pointless....?

Playtest??

Hadn't thought about that.

It might be useful to release an early version of the sourcebook for comment and error-trapping, I suppose. But since there are no rules, a playtest as such seems pointless....?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is pointless, but you're underestimating how curious we might be.

It might be useful to release an early version of the sourcebook for comment and error-trapping, I suppose. But since there are no rules, a playtest as such seems pointless....?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, it's not like there'd be rule-systems for us to bend and break, but I don't see that letting a few knowledgable but disinterested outsiders peruse the manuscript in search of errors, problems, and other inconsistencies would be entirely pointless. You know the rabid Traveller fanbase will pick this apart as soon as it hits the shelves, so it seems only prudent to get some of that out of the way pre-publication so that there'd actually be time to pre-emptively fix/explain/clarify any real (or apparent) errors, oversights, or plain old 'confusing bits' we might uncover.

And even as a worst (most pointless) case you could just ignore whatever trivial nitpicking we come up with and feel confident and justified that you got it right on the first try, which must be worth something.

[This message has been edited by T. Foster (edited 31 October 2001).]

Back