• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller in White Dwarf, any suggestions

I have always been interested in using a 3D map for Traveller, as well as collecting Traveller articles from various magazines. In a past post, yes I have done a search; there was mention of White Dwarf, WD, 73 that had 3D mapping article. I have had some success at getting various WD stuff, but the usefulness and quality seems to be a hit and miss. WD 70 with its “Hunter” ship plans where very nice, but 68 and the Lone Dragon adventure was only “ok.”

So, has anyone read the 3d article and would you suggest anyone trying to use 3d maps get a copy?

On a general note, anyone remember a magazine article of note that might be worth getting for a scenario or ship plans?

In general, I've found that 3D starmapping is more a pain than a benefit; using a "subway map" approach makes it totally bypassable.

Given rows 1-3 are X,Y,Z and cols A,B,C are also X,Y,Z coords, list worlds down in order starting at row 4, and across in reverse at col D. cell value in d4 is =roundup((((d$1-$a4)^2)+((d$2-$B4)^2)+((D$3-$C4)^2))^0.5,1)
Fill down and across. you now have a cross-index showing distance in whatever you XYZ units are, to the tenth.

Color coding and rounding can be used to make it more readable.

Back