• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Traveller Movie

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Uncle Bob:
Originally posted by MT++:
<snip>
The rules I had discussed with MJD were straight forward
1. no cute kids
2. no cute robots
3. no *^&%*^ mechs
4. hard SF space opera
5. no today's lesson was...
6. overarcing story (ie. stories stand alone but together forma whole)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I have seem Traveller described a "space opera" several times recently, and this bothers me. I use "Space Opera" to describe stories set in the future with melodramatic, "operetic" themes . . . like the last season of classic Star Trek, Lost in Space, or Voage to the Bottom of the Sea.

This seems foreign to the spirit of Traveller as we played it. So, let me suggest some more stories to avoid:
1) No saving the Universe . . . except as a story arc that takes up at least 2 seasons.
2) No god-like superbeings (unless, and if, you can get John De Lancie to make a guest appearance. Once.)
3)No alternate universe stories. (OK, you get one, as a season (2 or 3) finale.)
4) Be real careful of psionics (this was acceptable in the 1960s, but in the last 30 yrs "Hard SF" has been avoiding it as it has been consistantly disproved). No main characters with psionics, two guest-stars per season, max.
4) No magic.
5) No evil twin stories. (OK, you get one cloning story, but not before the third season.)
6) do not let the story line be driven by self-indulgence, unless the character has been established as uniquely saelfish. Real people do not (consistantly) let even Sex control their lives (this will be a hard-sell in Hollywierd). A major character with a drug or alcohol probelem will Deal with it, or he will have to stop adventuring . . . and not for one episode (think Garibaldi's drinking or Franklin's stim problem, although both in one show was excessive.)
7) Love does not Conquor All.
8) Late 20th century morality on issues like sex, marriage, democracy, religion, duty, business ethics, slavery, torture, freedom of the individual, equality, work ethic, etc, are not Universal. Disagreeing with one or more does not make one Evil. Or even alien.
9) There is nothing particularly admirable about the Noble Savage. Pre-urban cultures are typically disease ridden, narrow minded and hostile to strangers before they meet the corruption of civilization. If something does not belong to a recognized member of their group (a nail, a computer, your life) it is free for the taking. Please remember that in the 19th Century more indians were killed in inter-tribal warfare than by the U.S. Army.
10) No character should go insane. If he/she does go insane, it will take at least a season to recover. (Eccentricity, even phobias are tolerable as long as they don't become the theme of an entire episode.)

[This message has been edited by Uncle Bob (edited 20 June 2001).]

I agree. And one more thing:

No time travel! As the primary focus for series it is okay (barely and with limitations), as a plot device for the week it isn't.

And as an addendum to 4) No magic: no super-miracle tech (like time travel). (the television series: Andromeda has already begun this downward path).

Why? Because once that level of tech is introduced and of course assimilated in the culture, nothing should be challenging anymore.

Oops! We blew up the planet...no problem we'll just fix it...again. Oh no, <blank> died...that's okay we'll just replicate another clone.

On the topic of space operas however, I do recall one classic space opera that was translated from novels to television.

Lensman. If Traveller: the movie/tv show is anything like what the Lensman tv series was, then please don't don't don't do it.

Cheers.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T. Foster:
Heh, unless things have changed a LOT since my teenage years, the "average gamers" are most certainly NOT "the ones who go out on dates"!!
biggrin.gif

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one. I actually agree with every single word of your post, and that's why the prospect of a Traveller Movie currently fills me with a mixture of dread and nausea.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lol, me too
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Avery:
Sweetpea financed Imperium Games with the thought that by developing Traveller as a property and grooming it properly, it would become a movie after they did the D&D movie. The problem was that writing was rushed and incompletely co-ordinated with "me." Then, the economic down-turn in Asia forced the investors behind the project to stop putting money into it. Finally, they pulled the plug, and everything reverted to "me."

Maybe there will be a movie someday.

Marc

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Marc; that's very interesting to hear. But are you sure you want a film based on your work that turns out like that D&D movie? I don't know what your movie experience is, but here are some thoughts based on my personal experience.

Years ago I used to fantasize about producing a Traveller film, but only if I could either find or write a good script that had some integrity behind it. Right now we're riding the peak of a sine wave that oscillates between market driven films and art driven films. One extreme being films like the infamous D&D movie, Will Smith's version of "The Wild Wild West", and more recently "A Knight's Tale," and "Planet of the Apes." The other extreme being any independent film shown in any film art house across the nation. Within the last ten years there've been very few, if any, films that have been produced that encompass portions of both.

These days (actually, ever since Star Wars) Hollywod shoots for the blockbuster, so with something like Traveller they'd pack it with gunplay and outrageous action sequences, witty language, and groin kick jokes, because that's what your average gamer expects, and according to the marketing data the average gamer is some acne potted teenage male who likes "in your face" kind of stuff. And since they're the ones who go out on dates (i.e. movies), they're the ones whose dollars you have to grab.

If you wanted a thoughtful story about, say, a band of adventurers seeking out "The Secrets of the Ancients", you might read the first draft, probably approve of it, only to have the thing reworked during filming, and reworked again in post (post-production; editing, sound, music, and so forth). Heck, they may even shoot a couple more scenes without your consent. But this is their perogative since you did sign away your rights on the Traveller property. Hence they can do anything they like with it.

Exploitation movies have always been made, but now it's all the trend, and is done so unashamably, and probably also out of ignorance by those who are the film industrie's masters. However, there was a time when films, even big action flicks, were created not just with technical craft (lighting, pyrotechnics and what have you) but were also created with a kind of artistic integrity that has not seen the light of day for some time. Just look at any of the classic Westerns, and you'll see rightaway what I'm talking about. That kind of spirit may return at some point, but even so I think today's audience has become so conditioned to bad movies that they wouldn't know what to do when they saw a good film; i.e. a film that didn't have a sexually suggestive joke or gun going off every five minutes, nor had some kind of rythmic pop soundtrack constantly playing in the background. Heck, they'd probably call it a bad movie, and would ask "Where're the sex jokes, pop sound track, and action?"

Myself, I think there's a hidden market that's more than ripe for a good movie, but they're not the ones who go to the movies anymore. They used to, but the movie experience has gotten so bad that you rarely see people casually taking in a movie anymore. Movies are now an event, and to grab the dollar at the event you have to create an event. And so the industry is now caught in this vicious circle in which it needs to spend the big cash on the big blockbusters, or they go belly up. And it doesn't matter if the film is good or not, it just needs to be hyped enough, and crafted enough, such that people will feel compelled to go see it.

Now, do you really want your game's fiction subjected to that venue?

Just some thoughts from someone who worked in the industry for nearly a decade.

[This message has been edited by Blue Ghost (edited 01 August 2001).]

Necromancy;

As my time on the forum draws nigh, I just wanted to add some thoughts here. I fell out of love with movies over the last five years with the realization of how a lot of media properties are formulated, and how their formulation evolves through a process that makes their ultimate presentation different from what was conceived.

There's always been angsty relationship between writers and producers (directors), because you have this "That's now what I wrote" or "That's not what I intended" feeling that surges back and forth. A lot of that is cosmetic hype to make the film seem more interesting than it is.

Films today have specific psychological formulations, and for science fiction there's added psychiatric phenomena tossed in to tantalize the smarter audience that scifi, on average, tends to draw to the theatre. All of it is intentional, and looking at all of the TV and feature films I've consumed over the years, today's media offerings are more about fantasy release or realization. Some years back at Francis Ford Coppola's Virtual Studio website some lady who was reading a screenplay I had written stated "So this is a fantasy realization, SP, right?" "SP" meaning screenplay. I did not know how to answer because I did not know what she was talking about. I truly was just trying to write a good screenplay, but, as it turns out, the successful or "greenlit" screenplays have a self aware psychological component to them.

I shrug my shoulders at it. It's something you probably learn in a masters or doctorate level class, but emotional and psychological manipulation is pretty much the key "ingredient" to all mass media, and specifically feature films.

As per my web log entries, I think that is just way overplayed, and the belief in the "power of film" is close to a religious mantra because of its alleged abuse in war propaganda films. Ergo the industry, at one point, was very closed off due to a fear of the wrong people getting to make films. YouTube has demonstrated otherwise, and upheld my convictions and other people who called themselves independent film makers, that you can make the most socially unacceptable visual piece, and it'll only tantalize or otherwise attract those people with like fantasies or social views; i.e. making a horror or "slasher" flick doesn't turn people into serial killers, but attracts people who like to be scared.

With a Traveller movie, if it were shot in the 80s, then it would be aimed at socially forward thinking and science oriented individuals, and in my opinion, truncated of the violence that makes Traveller attractive to young males as a game. In my opinion, as happened with D&D and its cartoon iteration, Traveller might have become a kind of "The Next Generation" knock off, neutered of things like Fusion Guns, Gauss Guns and whatever else, in favor of showing socially disparate individuals coming together to solve a problem or crime. People of various backgrounds or social identities cooperating to solve a mystery is not a bad message, but that's not really the basis for Traveller--though it can be.

Simply put what was done to Dungeons and Dragons in the early 80s with the D&D cartoon, again had Traveller been shot, probably would have happened to Traveller. And, in my opinion, you would have had a pretty angry player fan base who were wanting to see firefights during boarding actions, or assaults on secret Zhodani bases within the Imperium, only to get stories about a group of Scouts doing something that lacked that violent element that Traveller and D&D are known for.

Way back in 1987, or even before that, when I was scripting out concepts for Car Wars and Traveller, it was my thinking that feature films would be the way to go, because in this way you could keep all of the violence that makes a lot of the classic games what they are, and frame it as a socially positive thing without having to go the TV trope route. Simply put you could have all of the gun battles and other confrontations in a feature film because that's what attracts the male ticket buyer.

Old School Hollywood formula for TV films goes something like this;

Guys go to movies (you males go with other young males, or take a date, or, if more mature, take their spouse or family).

Gals watch TV, largely because they're the ones who buy products for the home, therefore you make shows that women will want to watch with friends and family.

The newer formula is that of market tailoring. You can make a female film strictly for a female audience as long as its compelling and strong enough. Those films typically deal with children in some regard, familial ties, and relationships in general. Male films are pretty one-dimensional, the lone hero going against the odds kind of thing.

Therefore, my thinking is that today is probably the right time to get a crowdfunded small project going, if anyone were so inclined. The old way was to take your idea and bounce around from studio to studio or production company to production company, and essentially beg for money by proving that your project was worthwhile. You don't need to do that anymore, and so the content of whatever is shot holds up the project, or torpedoes it depending on how it's received.

Again, back in the 80s, I was following the George Lucas model to get stuff started and done. Largely because a Car Wars or Traveller film would have to rely on an Indiana Jones or Star Wars kind of saga construct to keep the story moving, and keep people interested. Of course my efforts never went anywhere due to a lot of real life stuff, but I think Lucas's independent film maker approach was the right avenue. And, he had knowledge not just about how good legends are put onto film by way of Joseph Campbell's "Hero's Journey" education, but also the artistic attributes of what makes a film "look good". For Star Wars and Indy it's typically the use of long lenses for medium shots. It adds a bit of grain (or it did) and compressed the background relative to the foreground so you have a very professional looking project that has artistic gravitas.

That, verse a lot of action or 80s scifi that was being shot in Hollywood, that used regular standard focal length lenses, and went the "floodlight" avenue of lighting a set, where everything is lit with essentially stadium lighting, and the idea there is that you can have the lab or theatre venue stop down that scene when it hits the projector. Such that a scene that was heavily lit with a lot of 10ks or 5ks, can appear as a dark scene on the movie screen because you've ordered the lab to darken it to your taste. That, verse Hunter's uneducated yet insightful observation about "Outland", and how it looked like the epitome of a good Traveller film. That's because "Outland" was, according to the people at Cinematography.com, including the two guys who run the website (where DPs all over the world meet and post) was shot with practical lighting. That is to say mostly with the lights that were on the set and whatever else was available.

To me, that would make for a good Traveller film.

My primary objection to Hollywood films, and films from a lot of modern countries, is that they are layered with a lot of messages, and I don't just mean disparate people from a myriad of social circles coming together, but things like addressing phobias or health conditions or putting the unlikely character in the heroic spot when they wouldn't be there in old school story telling. To me, personally, sometimes you have to let the big brave strong handsome hero be the big brave strong handsome hero. That does happen in real life, though it was a formulation that tended to get used in earlier films prior to the 80s. Hence the trend of putting anyone in the hero spot. But that's just me.

Los Angeles and New York are still the entertainment hubs, but no longer have the monopoly on visual media that they enjoyed for decades. And you no longer have to sell yourself nor your soul to get something shot. Nor do you have to follow the suggestions of higher ups on how to improve and make your project more appealing; i.e. someone telling you "we don't have any Canadian Lumberjacks in the project … we need to add one so owe can capture that demographic." Those days aren't quite gone, but since digital media can make Traveller at a low cost a reality, you don't have to pay attention to the marketers like you used to. They may actually have some good advice though. But, as per Norman Jewison in the documentary "Norm Jewison; Filmmaker" (a 16mm doc that looks at his effort to finish "Fiddler on the Roof"), and this is verbatim, "I have never seen an accountant, producer, or other office or non creative person improve on a film. Only creative people can improve on films." And he's right. You can make a film about some far away group in Africa, the Malians of New Zealand, the natives of the northern Japanese Islands, and as long as you have the right artistic elements, then audiences from everywhere else will watch that film.

The same goes for a Traveller movie.

If it is your wish, then I hope your's for a Traveller film comes true. I really do. It was at one time my dream, but that was in lieu of me not being able to get into engineering and science like I wanted. Ergo I pursued the arts with the intent to create "science fiction" out of my favorite games. That's no longer the case. But I really hope that you all, if you're so inclined, can pull together the resources and get something done.

That's what I wanted to say in my initial post on this thread all those years ago, but I hadn't been able to properly reflect on my personal and professional experiences as they pertained to a Traveller film, until now. I hope this has been of some use.

All the best.

Blue Ghost

Already been done, a number of times, at least to my liking and way of thinking, e.g.:

Outland - a good, gritty story, in a plausible setting, and with a decent, believable storyline.

Firefly - doesn't get much more Traveller than that. Another Western set in space.

Life - the one with the little, sentient alien, sample.

Alien and Aliens.

Predator/Predators, etc..

I'm sure there are some others, but those come immediately to mind.

Well, with all due respect, they didn't have the official T logo on them, and didn't have any of the major races nor the setting as a whole. And I think that was the effort that was being proposed. That is bring the actual Travellerverse to the big or small screen. Hats off to whoever does it.

Back