• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

UWP compared to Star Trek

robject

SOC-14 10K
Admin Award
Marquis
ST has something like 24 planetary classifications. Here's what I think of when I compare them to Traveller:

A,B,C: Sizes 1-4.
D: Size 0.
E,F,G: Sizes 6-8.
H: Desert worlds.
T,S,I,J: Gas giants, largest to smallest I guess.
K: Size 6-8, Atm 1-3.
L: Size 6-8 with a marginally breathable atmosphere.
M: Terran norm.
N,X,Y,Z: Atm 11 or 12 Hellworld.
O: Water world
P: Tundric water world.
Q: Elliptical atmosphere or other strangeness.

R: no analogue in Traveller for explicitly coding a Rogue world. Might be nice to have that though!

ST has something like 24 planetary classifications. Here's what I think of when I compare them to Traveller:

A,B,C: Sizes 1-4.
D: Size 0.
E,F,G: Sizes 6-8.
H: Desert worlds.
T,S,I,J: Gas giants, largest to smallest I guess.
K: Size 6-8, Atm 1-3.
L: Size 6-8 with a marginally breathable atmosphere.
M: Terran norm.
N,X,Y,Z: Atm 11 or 12 Hellworld.
O: Water world
P: Tundric water world.
Q: Elliptical atmosphere or other strangeness.

R: no analogue in Traveller for explicitly coding a Rogue world. Might be nice to have that though!

The gas giants are by atmospheric mix, rather than size, but size does factor in.

Note that there are several versions, and not all english letters are used in any of them I've seen.

Seems like a rather limited and stunted system comparatively. I could see a adding to the UWP something like it to give someone casually glancing at UWP's a quick way of getting an idea of what a world is probably like, but as a system it's far too vague.

Seems like a rather limited and stunted system comparatively. I could see a adding to the UWP something like it to give someone casually glancing at UWP's a quick way of getting an idea of what a world is probably like, but as a system it's far too vague.

It's kind of vague... but in a space-opera useful way.

ClassDiameterGravityLabelActual & Potential Types of Hazard
D0.05…10.05⋯1Airless Rockvacuum; temperatures ⇕; radiation
G0.05⋯0.50.05⋯0.5Plutoidatmosphere; temperatures ⇓; lack of light
H0.5⋯1.50.5⋯1.5Hotatmosphere; temperatures ⇑
J3⋯150.8⋯3Jovianatmosphere; no solid surface;
pressure ⇑; temperatures ⇑; radiation
K0.25⋯20.25⋯2Cold Terrestrialatmosphere; pressure ⇓; temperatures ⇓; radiation
L0.5⋯1.50.5⋯1.5Argon Terrestrialatmosphere; temperatures ⇕; radiation; water ⇓
M0.5⋯1.50.5⋯1.5Terrestriallocalized temperatures ⇕; localized radiation
N0.5⋯20.5⋯2Panthallasiclack of solid surface; atmosphere; pressure ⇕
T15⋯202⋯10Superjovianatmosphere; pressure ⇑; temperatures ⇑; radiation
V0.5⋯20.5⋯2Venusianatmosphere; pressure ⇑; temperature ⇑
Y0.5⋯1.50.5⋯1.5Hellatmosphere; pressure ⇑; temperature ⇑; radiation
[tc=5]Star Trek Adventures classes[/tc]

It is useful enough for trek. Vulcan and earth are both Class-M... and yet, quite different from each other.

Class V, G, and N taken from on-screen uses, rather than STA. G is also in Decipher-Trek. (N is from TAS. Breathable panthallasic.)

D-Trek adds F: which is larger waterless rocky worlds with no atmosphere, like Luna or Mercury.

L-Trek uses just D, F, G, H*, L, M
* H is different from D-Trek and M-Trek

Notation: _-Trek - letter in the blank is company releasing.

"Class-N" was used "on-screen" in ST:TAS as Aramis notes above.
"Class-D" was used on-screen in Wrath of Khan for the Regula-1 asteroid
"Class-K" was used on-screen by "Norman-1" in ST:TOS "I, Mudd" for the Android-world - "Adaptable for human habitation with pressure domes".

Last edited:
Where was this list of codes developed, anyone know? Was it a ST creation, or did they lift it from some astronomy book?

Where was this list of codes developed, anyone know? Was it a ST creation, or did they lift it from some astronomy book?

It is definitely not a real-world astronomy classification system.
The term "Class-M" first appears in the original ST:TOS Pilot, The Cage, and is explicitly denoted by Lt. Spock as referring to an Oxygen-Nitrogen atmosphere.

At least three other fans have played the compare the planet code game over the years. It's an interesting exercise.

Like most of Trek science, it was mostly designed for plot rather than consistency or hard science compliance.

I am pretty sure that at least a few of the fan efforts at this exercise were linked at CotI and the FB group.

Shalom,
M.

Back