• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

vilani language

Lately I've been thinking about writing about a Vilani professor or scientist and his two co-laborers; I'm thinking their names are xudäska uhämiki (Shudaaska Ukhaamiki), ïlanü sadikahügimar (Iilanuu Sadikakhuugimar), and alidaxsir inannu (Alidashsir Inannu).

They need titles of some sort, though. Something to mash into the middle or beginning or end of their names. Significant and insignificant extras. Because my writing style is primitive and quirky, having quirky names would give me material to play off of.

Since my writing style is also passive, I figure the writings would be largely anti-climactic and ironic. Think of a cross between Hitchhiker's Guide and Portuguese Irregular Verbs.

Dr. Iilanuu Sadikakhuugimar, professor of proto-vilanic literature, University of Vland, Lemish, 0208 Corridor.

Ms. Sadikakhuugimar has a need for other people to like and admire her, and yet she tends to be critical of herself. Disciplined and self-controlled on the outside, she tends to be worrisome and insecure on the inside. She also prides herself as an independent thinker; and does not accept others' statements without satisfactory proof. One might be tempted to call her meticulous... or nervous.

Captain Shudaaska Ukhaamiki, retired, Imperial Armed Forces, professor of comparative Imperial linguistics, University of Vland, Lemish, 0208 Corridor.

While Captain Ukhaamiki has some personality weaknesses, he is generally able to compensate for them. At times he has serious doubts as to whether he has made the right decision or done the right thing. He has found it unwise to be too frank in revealing himself to others. One might be tempted to call him irresponsible or unstable.

Alidashsir Inannu, Baron Laaru, professor of Second Imperium history, University of Vland, Lemish, 0208 Corridor.

Baron Laaru has considerable unused capacity that he has not turned to his advantage. He prefers a certain amount of change and variety and become dissatisfied when hemmed in by restrictions and limitations. At times he is extroverted, affable, and sociable, while at other times he is introverted, wary, and reserved. One might be tempted to call him lazy, restless, or capricious.

Some of their aspirations tend to be rather unrealistic.

How about...

Nineduba : Elder scholar highest honor

Diparmedukide : Master teacher, professor

Kikamesekhi Lesser scholar, record keeper

(currently exists) Medinere: student

"Semgadukiid kiklesiig kaarii ud,
kikgadukarzush apuriram argunekak.
Sesebiilem."

"Kimgakharur, sesebiilem."

"Zimgashala Iikhuukegim karun. Sesebiilem."

"Zimgadir Iikhuukegim karun. Sesebiilem."

With that, Professor Ukhaamiki (Diparmedukide) turned to leave with the rest of the assembly. Passing through columns of ancient and huge stone blocks, he felt like he was moving through an arm of the AAB. Well, perhaps the building once was. It claimed to be over a thousand years old.

Gradually he worked his way out of the lofty temple, into the thin country air and pinkish sky of the tiny, otherwise unimportant world of Shush.

Shiibim bilanilekane.

You-go [imperative, rude], Vilani people.

The bare stem, with no modal affix but using irrealis-mode subject/object pronoun. Only used towards inferiors and imbeciles.

I am honored you have placed my Love sonnet/ poem in your works sir. As writing time is limited these days, I have some other offerings, perhaps less savory--

Vilani invective (those curses and dirty phrases solomani Marines learned first & foremost). I shall go over them with the new matrix editor you have graciously provided and see if I have made any grammatical errors.

sincerely,

Originally posted by Kurega Gikur:
How about...

Nineduba : Elder scholar highest honor

Diparmedukide : Master teacher, professor

Kikamesekhi Lesser scholar, record keeper

(currently exists) Medinere: student
Let's mix them slightly, to distance them from their parents.

Does 'Nindeba' sound ok?

I'm keeping diparmedukide as-is.

Kikamesekhi feels a little leggy. Any ideas?

Vilani is getting a minor facelift.

Following suggestions by the original author of the grammar, I have pushed a few elements of Vilani grammar back into Old High Vilani (aka Classical Vilani), leaving a simpler core for Standard Vilani.

The overall effect won't appear significant. For example, "I would have gone to the black market!" in OHV versus SV are:

Naa sekiishiin shenerii kash urrishem. (SV)

Shekiishsha iin shenerii ka urrishem. (OHV)

They're both very close to each other, but Standard Vilani sentences are now significantly easier to build... and without losing any of their Vilaniness, so to speak.

Thread resurrection.

Last night I started fooling around with some Vilani geomorphology words, to use when mapping. I'm detailing a water world, so I needed words to describe some features. Here's what I have so far.

urdirmaki - sand dune
arudirmaki - sand shoal

mugidamaki - mesa
mugidadagka - butte
armugidadagka - rocky reef
arzingaladagka - 'coral' (living organism) reef
zingalalug - stromatolite (or similar organism)

kurakugadaar - archipelago

I'm using v 4.4 of the grammar & glossary. Do these make sense?

idk if they would it with words involving the sea.

While Vland has lots of water, they spent tens of thousands of years hiding out from the Ancients war machines in the rough and mountainous portions of the planet. I might expect more detail words on the potentially dozens of ways one might describe terrain like "soft rocks that do not vibrate when heavy machine approaches" or "canyon too small to produce proper echoes" or like Innuit with
40+ words to describe snow with but a single word.

I am just whining about the examples. have not read rest of thread...

Thread resurrection.

Last night I started fooling around with some Vilani geomorphology words, to use when mapping. I'm detailing a water world, so I needed words to describe some features. Here's what I have so far.

First of all, Vlandian civilizations will have words for geomorphology, and so therefore the Vilani language.

Second, thank you for putting time and thought into these words.

Third -- and here's the ask -- let's erode those words a bit so they fit better in the mouth. My attempt:

urdirmak => udirmak. sand dune.
arudirmak => arudak. sand shoal; sandbar.

mugidamaki => midmaki. mesa.
mugidadagka => midakka. butte.

dadakka => (rock) reef; or any rocky ridge in general.
arzingala dadakka => living reef. e.g. coral. Perhaps Vland uses this for "land coral" as well!
zingalug => stromatoloid.

kurakugadaar => kurakukadaar. archipelago.

I'm starting to see that /dakka/ might be a generic term for "promontory", maybe; not the same as /dip/ or /gusiim/ "wall".
Perhaps from the Kalaan /machub/ "mountain".

Last edited:
Second, thank you for putting time and thought into these words.
The grammar and lexicon are too much fun.

Third -- and here's the ask -- let's erode those words a bit so they fit better in the mouth. My attempt: . . .
You have a much better grasp of how to make consistent syllables - I need to practice this more.

Good suggestions all around. Thanks for making time to check these out.

/ker-snip/

I'm starting to see that /dakka/ might be a generic term for "promontory", maybe; not the same as /dip/ or /gusiim/ "wall".
Perhaps from the Kalaan /machub/ "mountain".
Dammit Rob everyone know that "dakka" is Orkish for "guns/firepower". :p

Now, in all seriousness, one thing I discovered during my run through Vilani is that "argu" the Vilani tuber seems to be a (if you'll pardon the pun) root word in the language. That said I can see lots of soil related words with "agru" as the root, like "soil that is great for argu" or "rocky soil which can made good for argu" and such. I mean before they discovered all the cool tech and such that Grandfather's children left for them I see them as a pretty standard agricultural society. But that just may be me.

Doubly so. They have the food processing religious caste that converts the poisonous alien grains and such to Vilani edible products.

It's canon. It was canon long before this Vilani lexicon thing. I mean, their religious caste are shugilii, right? And I think DGP is the one that pegged the root term as a food preparation term: miller.

:coffeesip:

It's canon. It was canon long before this Vilani lexicon thing. I mean, their religious caste are shugilii, right? And I think DGP is the one that pegged the root term as a food preparation term: miller.

:coffeesip:

I strongly suspect that the decision was Marc's... it's precisely the kind of subtle humor I've come to expect from him.

Back