• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Weapons of the future.

Depends on how much energy gravity manipulation needs.
Given the existence of grav belts, I'd think the limiting factor would be how small you could make it. And you only need a quarter second to a half second's power to make it effective. That would be what? A watch battery sized battery & a capacitor? And then there's always the "antimatter in a stasis bubble" option. Lots of power there😁.

I think the other aspect to consider as to how much energy the components can handle during that time frame, or they might burn out first.

On a more serious note the weapons of the future are likely to be developments of the chemistry, physics and material science advances we make.

Imagine any chemical projectile weapon how and what can be improved?

Projectile - a DS/penetrator, a solid slug and the variations thereof, explosive rounds etc
Propellent - caseless, binary, solid hydrogen, variable charge size

More than one magazine so different ammo projectiles can be selected.

recoil compensation, gyro stabilisation, gravitic stabilisation

electronic sights, laser rangefinder/target designator, torch, spare battery compartments,

Assume the form factor becomes as ergonomic as possible and uses smart materials to adjust itself to the operator's profile

I think the other aspect to consider as to how much energy the components can handle during that time frame, or they might burn out first.
It's not likely they're intended to be reused. They're supposed to burn out. If that's an explosive effect, so much the better.

It's not likely they're intended to be reused.
It's an interesting engineering point of view, and it's not intuitive -- since in general we try to retain things, it's a different mindset when working on something that's on a one way trip.

One example is the Navy's Standard Missile. The hydraulic system does not recirculate. It simply has enough fluid for the flight, and once it's done it's job, it simply squirts on the side. Rather than taking on the weight, cost, and complexity of recirculating the fluid, it's just a system designed to work with a big leak in it.

Always found that an interesting design decision.

It's an interesting engineering point of view, and it's not intuitive -- since in general we try to retain things, it's a different mindset when working on something that's on a one way trip.

One example is the Navy's Standard Missile. The hydraulic system does not recirculate. It simply has enough fluid for the flight, and once it's done it's job, it simply squirts on the side. Rather than taking on the weight, cost, and complexity of recirculating the fluid, it's just a system designed to work with a big leak in it.

Always found that an interesting design decision.
It seems to me that when designing weapons, one of the important criteria is making it as difficult as possible for the enemy to throw it back.

Apparently, weapon crews can now pop on virtual reality headsets, and can call up tech support for troubleshooting.
We haven’t seen Tier 1 real world war level fighting in the netcentric age. I think organizations that become overreliant on functional comms are in for a rude awakening under full EW bombardment, not to mention whatever conditions obtain in our exotic space environments.

I guess that's what meson communicators are for.

I think there will be redundant communication nets, if necessary, messenger pigeons.

At the power levels of vehicle lasers a reflec or ablat coating on a projectile is pointless, you would be better off firing more projectiles.

Artillery shells tend to need to fit in a specific calibre, so reflec seems more likely; missiles would seem more flexible.

Numbers is one solution, speed another.

Artillery shells tend to spin so it would be harder for the laser to bite on any particular section.

In the end, you have to look at the game mechanics, how and if you can overwhelm point defence.

We haven’t seen Tier 1 real world war level fighting in the netcentric age. I think organizations that become overreliant on functional comms are in for a rude awakening under full EW bombardment, not to mention whatever conditions obtain in our exotic space environments.
I agree.

Back