• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Weapons of the future.

Gravity ping-pong is a thing (or can be, depending on how you implement the handwavium).

Cut the artificial gravity and inertial compensation and shove the maneuver drive lever to the firewall. In a belly-lander, "down" is now what used to be "aft". Now look at the deckplan for the Type S -- that long central corridor is now a tall mineshaft in a 2G environment. Makes striding up to the bridge to hijack the ship slightly more difficult, doesn't it? Assuming you can still walk after falling for a dozen meters at 20m/sec2...

In theory, you could add gravitational plates to the docking clamp, and grab a spacecraft, and activate it.

Assuming their influence extends through a hull and several decks.

In theory, you could add gravitational plates to the docking clamp, and grab a spacecraft, and activate it.

Assuming their influence extends through a hull and several decks.
Actually I think there would be standardized docking divots strongly built into the hull, so a ship could be locked into position at a station, outside of the ones associated with airlocks.

Alternatively I suppose you could “weigh anchor” with a grav plated line shot to a rock.

Gravity doesn't just end at 3 m, that is sort of the issue, if it's a G at your feet, it is going to be almost the same a km over head. Though I have thought of concentrated gravity weapons, such as in Roadside Picnic. Though probably a lot of future war would be like Tiptree's Screwfly Solution, pretty grim bio-warfare.

A similar field is set and a vehicle runs over one or more of the mines. They activate variously between -10 and +10 G causing the vehicle to whiplash violently due to the varied gravity as it is torn apart by it. The crew is likewise turned to mush by the violent gravity variations.
Or, you could just blow them up.

The Joker: You see, I'm a guy of simple taste. I enjoy dynamite, and gunpowder, and gasoline!

[he pours gasoline on the mountain of cash]

The Chechen: [panicked] What the...?

The Joker: Ah-ta-ta-ta-ta. And you know the thing they have in common? They're cheap.

Gravity doesn't just end at 3 m, that is sort of the issue, if it's a G at your feet, it is going to be almost the same a km over head. Though I have thought of concentrated gravity weapons, such as in Roadside Picnic. Though probably a lot of future war would be like Tiptree's Screwfly Solution, pretty grim bio-warfare.
Which is why a lot of SF assumes artificial gravity is a flow of cycling gravitons between a pair of plates.

The only one I can think of that explicitly uses a gravitational well is the Humanx Commonwealth setting. The Maneuver drive is a projected concentration, with the ship's mass falling into it. (Yeah, it violates conservation.) And the ships "onboard gravity" is, essentally, is the difference between the object and the ship's center of mass..
Or, you could just blow them up.
A gravitic mine is probably reusable. An explosive one certainly isn't. Aburied 155mm aimed up is reusable a few times..

(Why am I now thinking Robotech? Oh, yeah, grand cannon.)

Also a gravitic one would work in vacuum where a conventional high explosive would not have the shock wave, and concussion, that are features.
A shaped charge mine would work nicely in a vacuum, as it basically fires a stream of molten metal in the direct the charge is facing. As there would be no atmosphere to promote the breaking up and dissipation of the jet, it would be dangerous at a much greater range. There are a couple of other ways to make a chemical explosive mine effective in a vacuum. A Claymore mine would be effective in a vacuum against infantry wearing Vac Suits. The mine is essentially firing a shotgun spread of ball bearings.

Personally, my future weaponry pretty much resembles the current array of weapon systems.

Also a gravitic one would work in vacuum where a conventional high explosive would not have the shock wave, and concussion, that are features.
True, but depending upon the method of damage, vacuum could enhance certain explosive ones in key ways.
Such as SEFoP (Self Explosively Formed Projectile) , such as Timerover51 mentions which lose a small but important amount of heat to conduction and kinetic to the air relocation.

SEFoP is an anti-armor; the concussion is wasted energy.

The claymore isn't going to be any stronger, but the lack of friction means full pen until it hits the ground.
The claymore is an emplaced super wide choke 1-shot shotgun; the concussion is secondary to the projectiles, but is a major portion of its troop disruption. Plus, the boom has morale and warning effects, and those are lost in vacuum.

Flash-bangs still flash...

If you look at the weapons posited in the 1977 version of Traveller they were basically 1977 weapons that were bigger; Lasers (well documented in 1977) and the dread PGMP (also pretty well documented) - while low-tech plasma weapons using explosives were in existence from the 1930s, they aren't seen much in Traveller.

The concept of remote drones didn't feature at all at any tech level.

But the higher tech levels add a lot of new basic technologies that may transform warfare

Computers that know where they are and communicate with other computers that know where they are make LOS nets possible so a pair of binoculars become a 3-d view of a battlefield from the scatter of tiny drones

The same for broadcast nets but with earlier application

EW become a major issue as all those nets are critical. Personal EW systems seem likely. PD systems are vital to kill those homing drone swarms. Using a radio or laser is suddenly very dangerous as those homing weapons are now intelligent and loitering.

Tazers didn't exist in 1977. Taser rounds for shotguns and bean-bag rounds didn't either. Nor ceramic rounds that don't penetrate hulls but are nasty for unarmoured crews.

Bio-engineered insect swarms or micro-drones - how do you get past that personal PD?

Nano-tech has to overcome the fact that biology has been dealing with small bits that get into blood for millions of years and are quite good at containing them.

Densitometers are big bits of kit, but make seeing through things possible

Dopler systems that detect the motion of blood in a person

High-Tesla magnetics can float frogs. What could that do to a fusion drive or person with a bit of imagination?

Nuclear Dampers muck up strong force. OK, they become disintegrators at TL-16 but what else could they do at lower tech levels. Lots of low energy neutrons escaping from normally stable nuclei can really change the half-life of materials.

Dark matter didn't really (actually?) exist as a sci-fi concept in 1977. As people can manipulate gravity, what does that allow when applied to dark matter?

Mines using grav plates could do odd things to grav-vehicles.

Gravitic laser focussing suggests that you have g-fields well over 10G! That makes particle accelerators perfectly possible heavy weapons.

Quantum weaponry wasn't a concept in 1977 (unless you include psionics). Where does that lead you? By the early 1980s there were meson cannon in Traveller. Any other odd quark constructions that might be usable?

"War amongst the people" was practically ignored by Traveller. What does that concept do when mixed with those high-tech systems? It doesn't bode well when a small "Maker" starts turning out viruses and bacteria in their thousands of trillions.

I'm fairly sure Polonium wasn't the concept in 1977 it is now seen as. Bio-weapons were so scary in 1977 that they were banned...and (even now) we have much better technology now for making and combatting them.

And the world of cyber-punk has never really hit Traveller despite the tech needed to make it work being extensively available on many worlds.

The full effects of the "Agent" tech are really under-estimated and with money and power would have a potentially nasty military usage...All the enemy combatants suddenly have the urge to change sides because their minds have been warped? Psi-Ops on steroids!

Cute, clever, and, regrettably, not usable against adversaries with satellites or the ability to access commercial ship-tracking services.

marinetraffic.com is one example.

Nuke inside a container somewhere in the racks works, though. Only usable against port cities, unless you can subvert incoming container inspections.

Launch platforms for basically kamikaze drones.
The US Navy already experimented with AI shipping. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernar...elligence-rather-than-a-crew/?sh=4fe1176f6fbf

This platform shows that although we are somewhat "geeks" in our nature of looking at things, we are out-of-the-box thinkers. The Pentagon had some asymmetric groups, but the big machine kind of shut down the groups. Maybe they should have listened back in the late 90s working groups at Fort McNair, might have been prudent in the long run.

Didn't I mention shipping containers a few pages back? Ok it was last page.

But let's face it if we can think of it the military and spooks have already thought it too...

There are loads of containers all over the world that are just sitting around and it's pretty easy to fool chemical sniffers if you have the resources of a government.

You could even hide nukes in containers with the right amount of shielding...

back to future weapons, the UK government is sharing the costs to build a state of the art laser weapons facility in Scotland, and is making good progress in a gen 6 fighter that may double as an AKV, then there are plans for a hypersonic done to deliver payloads - this one involves the people behind the SABRE engine.

At the risk of getting too close to real world politics - mods please delete the spoiler
the current conflict in Ukraine is showing the effectiveness of a digital battlefield and remote weapon systems that are able to coordinate across multiple platforms all the way down to a toy drone acting as a spotter and a jury rigged drone mortar shell dropper.
Military contractors will be taking note of what works and which of the innovations are worth pursuing with proper military funding, and will also be giving a thought to countermeasures hence the laser factory in Scotland.

It is worth taking a look at some of the state of the art stuff the IDF is using right now - drone ambulances, robot sentries, laser addition to iron dome.

Last edited:
I recall a Russian arms company marketing the concept, pre pandemic.

But then again, you can stuff all sorts of things into a shipping container, including a talking car.

I vaguely recall a scene in an anime, where I think aircraft popped out of two parked ones; I thought it was Macross, with an artificial intelligence singer, but probably another franchise.

If you look at the weapons posited in the 1977 version of Traveller they were basically 1977 weapons that were bigger; Lasers (well documented in 1977) and the dread PGMP (also pretty well documented) - while low-tech plasma weapons using explosives were in existence from the 1930s, they aren't seen much in Traveller.

Striker has monimal coverage of it, JTAS had a rbot construction (later "improved" into bk8), and te Zhodani and Hiver books both mention robots ...

A quote or two from LBB4:
Tech level 9: Recon Drones; about the size of a ground car, small recon drones carry a wide array of radar and visual sensors and are piloted from a remote location. Most are grav vehicles, and thus highly maneuverable. Available at tech level 9 and above. Base price CR 2000000. More expensive versions may be obtained with hardpoints for weapons mounts...

Tech level 11: Field artillery is increasingly supplanted by remotely piloted drone missiles, although conventional MD guns and MRL's are still in wide use.

Tech level 12: Conventional artillery is almost completely supplanted by drone missiles

Tech level 13: The first major use of the damper field militarily is to enable the manufacture, storage, and transportation of 2 cm californium rounds, fired from auto-cannon mounts in remotely piloted drones.

Tech level 15: Drone missiles enjoy an increase in use as the appearance of meson accelerators linked to an increasingly sophisticated computer target acquisition and fire direction system makes the long-range popup increasingly impractical
Methinks there should be:

Drones: varying in size from a few cms to the size of light aircraft, the smaller recon drones can carry a wide array of radar, visual sensors and laser target designators depending on their size, and are piloted from a remote location. Most are rotor propelled vehicles, and thus highly maneuverable. Available at tech level 8 and above. Base price CR 1000 to 2000000. The larger and more expensive versions may be obtained with hardpoints for weapons mounts. These weapons can vary from personal weapons, grenades, mortar bombs, mines, all the way up to fire and forget tac missiles.

There still seems to be some room for dumb bombs and artillery shells, but they're already thinking sixty calibre barrels, which brings us to high velocity, in order to get fifty to hundred klick ranges.

So, railguns with cheap slugs.

Drones are dropping grenades and mortar shells straight down, in many cases, from rather fragile handmade cradles.

With grav plate technology it is NOT necessarily true that it's still the same a kilomoter "overhead". Or even that "overhead" can be unambiguously defined.

But the higher tech levels add a lot of new basic technologies that may transform warfare

Computers that know where they are and communicate with other computers that know where they are make LOS nets possible so a pair of binoculars become a 3-d view of a battlefield from the scatter of tiny drones

The same for broadcast nets but with earlier application

EW become a major issue as all those nets are critical. Personal EW systems seem likely. PD systems are vital to kill those homing drone swarms. Using a radio or laser is suddenly very dangerous as those homing weapons are now intelligent and loitering.

Tazers didn't exist in 1977. Taser rounds for shotguns and bean-bag rounds didn't either. Nor ceramic rounds that don't penetrate hulls but are nasty for unarmoured crews.

Bio-engineered insect swarms or micro-drones - how do you get past that personal PD?

Nano-tech has to overcome the fact that biology has been dealing with small bits that get into blood for millions of years and are quite good at containing them.

Densitometers are big bits of kit, but make seeing through things possible

Dopler systems that detect the motion of blood in a person

High-Tesla magnetics can float frogs. What could that do to a fusion drive or person with a bit of imagination?

Nuclear Dampers muck up strong force. OK, they become disintegrators at TL-16 but what else could they do at lower tech levels. Lots of low energy neutrons escaping from normally stable nuclei can really change the half-life of materials.

Dark matter didn't really (actually?) exist as a sci-fi concept in 1977. As people can manipulate gravity, what does that allow when applied to dark matter?

Mines using grav plates could do odd things to grav-vehicles.

Gravitic laser focussing suggests that you have g-fields well over 10G! That makes particle accelerators perfectly possible heavy weapons.

Quantum weaponry wasn't a concept in 1977 (unless you include psionics). Where does that lead you? By the early 1980s there were meson cannon in Traveller. Any other odd quark constructions that might be usable?

"War amongst the people" was practically ignored by Traveller. What does that concept do when mixed with those high-tech systems? It doesn't bode well when a small "Maker" starts turning out viruses and bacteria in their thousands of trillions.

I'm fairly sure Polonium wasn't the concept in 1977 it is now seen as. Bio-weapons were so scary in 1977 that they were banned...and (even now) we have much better technology now for making and combatting them.

And the world of cyber-punk has never really hit Traveller despite the tech needed to make it work being extensively available on many worlds.

The full effects of the "Agent" tech are really under-estimated and with money and power would have a potentially nasty military usage...All the enemy combatants suddenly have the urge to change sides because their minds have been warped? Psi-Ops on steroids!
"Tazers did not exist in 1977"...

No. But stunners are pretty much the same thing (for effect) and they'd been available in Science Fiction for a generation or two. And I seem to recall them being available in Traveller in the black box set.

"Nuclear Dampers muck up strong force. OK, they become disintegrators at TL-16 but what else could they do at lower tech levels. Lots of low energy neutrons escaping from normally stable nuclei can really change the half-life of materials."|

Actually, I'd think nuclear "damper" fields must be increasing the strong force ("slightly...") to be stopping nuclear explosions. The neutrons &c. can't get into the nucleus to disrupt it. The inverse (decreasing the strong force) would be a disintegrator.

Messing with "dark matter" using gravity fields probably wouldn't make much difference to the universe in general until you get up into at least the thousands of Gs. Dark matter as we "understand" it now doesn't become a problem until it starts condensing into black hole-ish densities.

"High-Tesla magnetics can float frogs..."

And literally turn on/off sections of your brain and trigger/suppress memories, per modern PET scan research. Maybe make you forget how to breath? Your heart forget how to beat?

Of course, a bullet can do the same thing, only faster and cheaper.

"The full effects of the "Agent" tech ..."

...were envisioned long before Traveller, but how much fun is that to play?

Back