• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Web-based Automatic Sector Data / Map pdf Generator

Originally posted by mickazoid:
I'll get you a Windows version soon, I promise
Me too!

I already have a variant that does exactly that... if you have a standard data file like

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">0101 Zeycude C330698-9 Na Ni Po De Zh GP
0102 Reno C1207B9-A Na Po De Zh G
0103 Errere B263664-B Z C0 Ni Ri Zh P
0104 Cantrel C366243-9 Lo Ni Zh P</pre>
It'll generate a pdf, INCLUDING the UPP descriptions! The pdf of the Spinward Marches is a whopping 216 pages
[/quote]Does anybody have the old Judge's Guild sectors in this format? I'd love to be able to turn those into LBBs for the players and an expanded file I could glance at for world info.

This is not a famous quote, but it was said by a friend of mine over 20 years ago in an attempt to cheer someone else up. I still use it today...

"So you had a bad day, don't worry, there'll be others."

Jeff: If you get me the .sec files I'd be glad to render some LBB's for ya!
Thanks for the nice offer! I'm afraid I'm a rank novice at this stuff. Are Galactic files in the correct format? I stumbled across these two files, for Galactic 2.4:

http://www.geocities.com/kitchen_steward/proj001a/ley.zip

http://www.geocities.com/kitchen_steward/proj001a/glimdrft.zip

I've recently started transcribing the data for Maranantha-Alkahest Sector (what the T20 people call Gateway), but I've only got 5 subsectors worth of data at this point, and it's not quite in the same format.

My pleasure - feel free to send along your sector file for the sector you're designing. I'd be glad to send you an 'interim' LBB from time to time

Originally posted by jrients:
Does anybody have the old Judge's Guild sectors in this format? I'd love to be able to turn those into LBBs for the players and an expanded file I could glance at for world info.
Just read your original post. As you can see, the first link I posted was to the 'no descriptions' (~500k, 36-page, ~45 second generation time) versions of those two sectors.

I've posted alternates with world UPP descriptions (~800k, ~50-60 pages, ~70 seconds) here:
http://micki001.cnc.net/trav/Ley-GlimmerDrift_descs.zip

And I've recently added optional animal generation tables for each world based on prevailing climate (thanks Paul!) - but the resulting pdfs can be massive (~3-5mb, 1500+ pages, ~500 seconds).

Next up - trade-related features (tables, commercial atlas and routes) and borders.

Berg - believe it or not, I feel bad deleting the sectors I generate as I test - as if 'now I have become Death, the destroyer of worlds'!
It is very cool typing a single line of code and generating the entire sector book, containing hundreds of worlds.

For folks' info - here's how it runs, either in a web browser url or on the command line:

</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">./SectorMaker.cgi {sectorname} {density|rift/scattered/standard/dense or Xx}
{tech|backwater,frontier,mature,cluster} {description|1=UPP and Animal,2=just UPP,3=none}
{Pre-existing sector file name (if not generating a new sector from scratch)}</pre>[/QUOTE]and in a URL, you simply replace the spaces with a '?' after the .cgi and a '+' between each parameter.

Jrients - it's my great pleasure. I hope you and your group have wonderful and exciting adventures. Let me know if I can help at all.

FWIW, I was inspired to dig up and scan a page from Shane Johnson's "Worlds of the Federation" Star Trek reference book. I though he did a very good job of condensing world/system/species information into a single page in an attractive and in-theme format:

wotf.png

Since this wasn't intended for role playing (just eye candy) it dispenses with technical details (e.g. orbits of the moons, sizes of moons when > 4, etc) but still Looks Good. (The map projection is also a much better choice for an eye-candy book - the icosahedral projection is great for applying travel time rules, but looks funky to most people.)

Anyway, just in case this inspires anyone - if I ever added system-level detail to my site it'd probably be in a format similar to this, or possibly like that seen in the Exonidas Spaceport adventure in Dragon Magazine:

exonidas.png

stofsk: If you have a Mac or Linux machine, you can unzip the archive's contents into your cgi-bin folder and activate it with a simple command (see the above thread or the instructions in the script file).

You'll need to change your pathname from '/Library/WebServer/CGI-Executables' to '/httpd/cgi-bin' or the equivalent if you're not on a Mac.

And - here's some brand new screenshots!

I've been busy, despite the onset of summer, and after a burst of creativity integrating parts of 'sec2pdf' and 'allygen', plus the recent listing by Flynn here on CotI of about 100 different government 'empire type' names, I've been able to add a sector map, rules-generated empires/regions (with borders and randomized names), sample cargo and as you can see, I'm working on trade routes!

Meru_AmberCircles.jpg

Meru_MapPolities.jpg

Meru_fulldesc.jpg

The data for displaying the trade routes aren't autogenerated yet (i'm trying to compile 'nroute' or find an alternative), but you can create a text file called 'routes':

The format is
</font><blockquote>code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">route 2001 2101
route 2001 2002
route 2002 1903
route 1903 1905
route 1905 2005
route 2005 2106
route 2005 2007
route 2007 2109
route 2109 2309
route 2309 2408
route 2408 2508
route 2005 2106
route 2106 2206
route 2206 2405
route 2405 2605
route 1703 1903
route 1703 1601
route 1703 1503</pre>[/QUOTE]and it'll graph 'em.

Update: fixed an annoying trade routes clipping problem. Big sigh of relief. Trade routes are done, except how to automate the selection of worlds along the route. My next stop - a big chunk of C programming, to automate route generation and then - planetary systems continuation rules including my logarithmic systems graph (see above).

Dammit, this is almost making me think twice about my hexagonal subsectors ... :eek:

Bromgrev,

Please explain more about your hexagonal subsectors concept, if you don't mind. How do they form up to create a sector? How big are they? That kind of thing...

Thanks,
Flynn

Back