• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Web-based Automatic Sector Data / Map pdf Generator

Hi there:

I printed a few randomly-generated books on my office laser printer. I used the 'Create Booklet' pdf service for Mac OSX, which allows you to print a document in 'booklet format'. Print that duplex (or do an even/odd print, with the second time thru manually feeding it in 'reverse' mode).

Here's an image of a few of the booklets. I didn't touch them at all - no formatting or content changes. Each took about 1.5 min to generate and 1 min to print. With a heavier, color cover (with full 'bleed' capability), those would look very nice.

MyBooks2.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting this hosted.

This is really cool.

Originally posted by Baron Saarthuran von Gushiddan:
[...] but I disagree at redoing "the big map" unless we are talking about a major overhaul of the entire thing, IE "Setting" it by getting rid of inconsistencies, conflicting data, and omission of materials based on defunct publishers (The Beyond, etc.) but I am reluctant to reinvent the wheel. It would be a LARGE project.
Baron, you do know that Sunbane is getting the once-over? Jim Fetters and I have been comparing the data for Imperial worlds, sector by sector, with Atlas of the Imperium, correcting the inconsistencies. Marc plans to regenerate many of the UWPs, using AOTI as a baseline.

Originally posted by far-trader:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Berg:
Far Future should hire this guy... Well done Mr Mickazoid, I'll be watching
Ms or such actually Berg ;) this guy is of that rare rpg find, he's a she

But I do agree, hiring her and a few others here to do some of the new work needed would be good.
</font>[/QUOTE]Yes I was politely informed ;)

Originally posted by mickazoid:
I'm looking forward to getting this hosted.
So am I Mademoiselle

I printed a few randomly-generated books on my office laser printer. I used the 'Create Booklet' pdf service for Mac OSX, which allows you to print a document in 'booklet format'. Print that duplex (or do an even/odd print, with the second time thru manually feeding it in 'reverse' mode).
I use a Canon PIXMA series color inkjet photo printer which can do auto-duplexing, and it's drivers have built in booklet format. Just take the final stack, saddle-staple, fold, and use.

Which model? Do you recommend it? Does it do borderless 8.5 x 11" printing?

I could be in the market for an inexpensive color printer...

By the way - I've incorporated a random quote capability.

Everyone, please pass along any quotes or excerpts from your games that you might like immortalized in the system, randomly selected and printed on the back cover of generated sectors...

My latest favorite: “Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy."

Some favorites:
"I've been from one end of this galaxy to the other. I've seen a lot of strange things...." (Han Solo, Star Wars: A New Hope)

"What heading, Captain?"
"Out There, That-a-way."
(Sulu and Kirk, one of the movies)

"The Universe is not only queerer than we imagine, it is queerer than we can imagine."
(Some physicist)

"No one will ever need more than 640K of ram."
William H. Gates, III.

"We come in peace for all mankind."
(Some NASA astronaut)

"3 hours to the jump point, eh? Prepare a jump plot for 3 hours from now on present course and speed. Then pray like hell the pirates don't notice us until then. Keep a second jump course prepped too... constant updates... I'd rather have a chance of surviving a misjump than no chance of beating those pirates."
Xen Xanfried, 1108

By the way - I've incorporated a random quote capability.

Everyone, please pass along any quotes or excerpts from your games that you might like immortalized in the system, randomly selected and printed on the back cover of generated sectors...

My latest favorite: “Traveling through hyperspace ain't like dusting crops, boy."
Interesting and fun, have a game quote I may be able to dig up but until then, in the spirit of "space" theme (more or less) shown by Aramis how about...

"Second star to the right and straight on till morning."

I don't really need to tell everybody the character who said it do I ;)

"The Universe is not only queerer than we imagine, it is queerer than we can imagine."

That's Haldane's Law.

Another of my favorites (about astronomy):
"Nothing puzzles me more, and troubles me less." -- Charles Lamb

(I guess Lamb wasn't vacationing on Jupiter when Shoemaker/Levy came by)

That's Haldane's Law.
Which is really just another way of saying...

"There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamed of in your philosophy."

Shakespeare of course.

Ah Shakespeare... I knew him, Horatio.

Good one!

Twinkle, twinkle, little star,
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high,
Like a diamond in the sky.
How I wonder what you are!

When the blazing sun is gone,
When he nothing shines upon,
Then you show your little light,
Twinkle, twinkle, all the night.

Then the traveler in the dark
Thanks you for your tiny spark;
He could not see which way to go,
If you did not twinkle so.

In the dark blue sky you keep,
While you thro' my window peep,
And you never shut your eye,
Till the sun is in the sky,

-- Jane Taylor, 1806

Originally posted by far-trader:

Ah, but which character are you thinking of, FT? The SF character, or the fantasy character? ;)

mickazoid, that "queerer" quote seems queer.... like a bit is missing.

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star....

See this is why I stay on this board even though I don't play anymore! You learn the most amazing things.... Who knew that song had more than one verse?

Here's one... Did you know the music is by Mozart? It's also the music for the alphabet song...

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread... back to your wonderful program.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by far-trader:

Ah, but which character are you thinking of, FT? The SF character, or the fantasy character? ;) </font>[/QUOTE]:D Hey! That's right! I'd forgotten about the SF one. Nice catch Fritz.

Originally posted by Fritz88:
mickazoid, that "queerer" quote seems queer.... like a bit is missing.
I had the feeling it was off too. Maybe the word "queer" as I'm sure I've always heard it (mis?)quoted as "strange" instead.

If I recall, in Bucaroo Bonsi they twisted, "Where ever you go, there you are."

{quite possable the most profound wisdom know to the professional traveller...}

Mr Tek

OK, another for the less serious pile...

"So remember, when you're feeling very small and insecure, how amazingly unlikely is your birth;
and pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space...

...'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

from Monty Python's "The Galaxy Song" of course.

But for the more serious pile one of my all time favorites...

"Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan

Back