• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What Programming Languages do you use?

What Programming Languages do you currently code in?

• Total voters
Image4.png

I see this thread is coming close to five years old now.

The trend in programming language usage here might be interesting.

My personal trend has been from Go, Ruby, and Python to Perl. Mostly because that's what I do at work, and my brain seems unfit for more than one language at a time.

It's been a rough few weeks but I finally got back to this. The code currently checks each unique word usage against the Fry list. I have the Fry list words sorted by grade level but the first push was just to integrate the list into the book reporting.

Code:
Fry Word Usage: 
  Used   800
  Custom 0
  Miss   3629

The plan is to allow a user to set up a custom word list so that the "Miss" rate can go down and the Fry ratio improve. I'm also using my idea of "custom word list" as "stuff I should write a library data entry on". :)

Last week I converted from lots of section files to one book file, and today fixed the sorting so the report has each section in their current book order. Of course, it's set up by my standard of date stamp as filename, so we probably need another sorting process.

This morning's work was to add a "weak word" report for the entire book. You have a file of "weak words"; things like "almost", "nearly", or whatever you find yourself wanting to use less of, and put each word on a line in the weak words file. Then you get a report of how many times you used each word. For example:

Code:
Report for:   Solvergn

Fry Stats:
  Used   802
  Custom 88
  Miss   3572

Weak Words:
  1   absolutely
  4   actually
 10   almost
 51   am
157   are
  3   awesome
 36   best

Code is on GitHub. I haven't updated the CPAN module yet. Still needs some finishing work.

Back