• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

What're some minor terminology changes that you use?

MTU is very heavily inspired by the Dumarest novels, overall. Thus, an energy-discharging handgun is a "laser".
Vacc Suit is just weird. I go with the more common English expression spacesuit.
I don't use TU aliens. I have several of my own, derived from the vacuousness between my ears, or from any number of scifi paperbacks which filled my mis-spent youth.

I also use naval / seafaring terminology for ships rather than what the game does:

Port and starboard, bow, stern
Deck, bulkhead, partition, overhead.
Head, not "fresher"
Galley, scullery
Compartment, stateroom, cabin
Hatch, scuttle
Frame (when discussing location from bow to stern)

I still use air/raft for the air/raft, but a grav car is a different thing (aka speeder). I just like some of the old terms as it is a part of Traveller to me. Still like simple line drawings for Traveller art as well as (a) what was there when I first encountered the game and (b) I feel it allow for more of your imagination to fill in the blanks. Though I also lile a lot of the new stuff, but the classic line drawings just feel more, hmm, comfortable? Familiar?

But I do like a lot of the terms bandied about here, so, as per my signature, may use them in the games I run (which are rare for Traveller but hopefully one this year)

I also use naval / seafaring terminology for ships rather than what the game does:

Head, not "fresher"
Galley, scullery
Hatch, scuttle
As a former USCG Petty Officer, so do I.

Head, not "fresher"
Galley, scullery
Hatch, scuttle

We use ship terms for spaceships. Aft, stern, ladder, head, port, starboard, deck, etc. Grav car not air-raft. Spaceship for everything not starship.

As a former USCG Petty Officer, so do I.
Topside and keel.

Of course, odd compartments to port, even compartments to starboard, O prefix for decks going topside starting from centre deck, no prefix for decks going keelward starting from centre deck.

Topside and keel.

Of course, odd compartments to port, even compartments to starboard, O prefix for decks going topside starting from centre deck, no prefix for decks going keelward starting from centre deck.
Tailsitters would require a bit different nomenclature.

I would suggest they still use fore and aft as synonyms for top and bottom, and list decks like floors in a building- deck 1 is lowest to the ground and counting up. This helps the ship support gantries/grav lifts to deliver cargo/sophonts to the right ‘deck’….

Topside and keel.

Naming or numbering of compartments can vary considerably. For most ships I prefer the older US system of A, B, C, where A is ahead of the engine rooms, B is the main spaces amidships, and C are compartments aft of them. This, in variation, works well with smaller ships with a limited number of compartments, dividing the ship roughly into thirds.

I also use nautical slang terms to add color. For example, workers at a shipyard or the starport are "sand crabs." A derisive term denoting they aren't space fairing crew and the like.

Back