• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

General Whats happening with Traveller today?

nats

SOC-12
So I am wondering what is happening with Traveller today? Is Marc Miller actually doing anything for Traveller anymore? Apart from Mongoose Traveller, which seems to be going around in circles, is anything new happening in Traveller development?

So I am wondering what is happening with Traveller today? Is Marc Miller actually doing anything for Traveller anymore? Apart from Mongoose Traveller, which seems to be going around in circles, is anything new happening in Traveller development?
Mongoose is the current mainstream version, so it being actively developed and played is already a good deal of "happening" for a second-tier (i.e. below D&D and Pathfinder) roleplaying game. If you look at their release schedule, you can see that Trav is their most busy line and they have a steady stream of products coming.

You also have Cepheus engine, which kinda is to Traveller what OSR/retroclones are to D&D. You have T5, which is mostly for long-term aficionados. And you have all the old versions for those who would like to play them being available via FFE, which answers the question what Marc Miller is doing for Traveller: Keeping it available in electronic and printed form.

To the above I'd add that the Mongoose-supported 3rd party development community "Traveller's Aid Society" whose collective works are available on DriveThruRPG continues to produce material of all types to support Traveller.

Also, I hear that MM is (among other things) working on a sequel to his novel "Agent of the Imperium."

If it’s not clear to you, T5 is Miller’s personal Traveller project. The front end Traveller you will find at the game store will be MgT2, this is more labor of love territory.

Yes he is working on another book. No, he's not talking about it yet.

He was one of the consulting team for Twilight: 2000 4th edition. (Biggest "oops" I've noted being "fatigues" rather than "BDU" or the other time appropriate uniform. That's been out a year. Note that Frank Chadwick was not on the consulting list.

I feel he should work with the Cepheus Deluxe people - they have made a fantastic Traveller version, in fact the best one. It is faithful to CT whilst having loads of recent additions that have made it superb. The only thing its missing from Cepheus Deluxe is the official Traveller Imperium setting with its classic ships, sectors and aliens. If that stuff could be added to Cepheus I think it would be the perfect version of Traveller ever. I think Marc really needs to reconsider Mongoose, they just haven't done anything worthwhile with their licence. I dont think there is anything they have produced that has been of great merit, other than maybe their Spinward Marches book. Cepheus Deluxe however is bloody fantastic.

I feel he should work with the Cepheus Deluxe people - they have made a fantastic Traveller version, in fact the best one. It is faithful to CT whilst having loads of recent additions that have made it superb. The only thing its missing from Cepheus Deluxe is the official Traveller Imperium setting with its classic ships, sectors and aliens. If that stuff could be added to Cepheus I think it would be the perfect version of Traveller ever. I think Marc really needs to reconsider Mongoose, they just haven't done anything worthwhile with their licence. I dont think there is anything they have produced that has been of great merit, other than maybe their Spinward Marches book. Cepheus Deluxe however is bloody fantastic.
The whole point of Cepheus is they are using the MgT1 SRD but stripped out all the IP surrounding the setting- so classic ships, classic career names, TAS, Imperium, etc.

Which personally I think was very kind of Miller and Mongoose and smart too- creates a richer content zone and biome where people mix and match and gets more buy in to the whole system. This after the MgT2 TAS license came out and there was a similar tempest in our teapot. WotC would have done well to pay attention to what happened here and how we got better, not bitter.

So if you are liking the CE mechanics you’re giving a thumbs up to the Mongoose version 1, but it’s never getting the setting IP for free. EVER.

Great Rift, Deepnight Revelation, Bayern - all first rate products so I wouldn't say Mongoose has done nothing.

IMHO MgT1e suffered a lot from authors not having a clue about Traveller (rules, setting the lot), and some not having a clue about basic terms like merchant marine :) and I have been critical when it has been warranted.

But I will go on record as stating that the MgT line up over the past couple of years is first rate (even if they still have authors that want the Third Imperium to be Star Wars plus Dune :))

As to Marc working with Cepheus people - Marc produced T5 as his vision of the ultimate version, and his novels have redefined the Third Imperium setting, not to mention his retcons invalidating canon. Be thankful that he has given his blessing to Cepheus, but it is a very different beast to T5 and the OTU.

Yeah well neither Traveller 5 nor Mongoose Traveller did anything for me. Cepheus is the first product I've seen that excites me and makes me want to play Traveller. Its a shame they cant use the classic Imperium setting though that would make it perfect.

Its a shame they cant use the classic Imperium setting though that would make it perfect.
Except ... as LBB 1-3 made abundantly clear ... the "classic Imperium" is by no means a requirement as a setting in order to run a Traveller campaign.

Except ... as LBB 1-3 made abundantly clear ... the "classic Imperium" is by no means a requirement as a setting in order to run a Traveller campaign.
Oh no quite right! In fact I only tend to use some of the ships and alien types myself from the official setting, I much prefer creating my own sectors. I could quite easily manage without any of it really. I do love the Scout ship though .... in fact all the ships from Traders and Gunboats were great.

But you can, make your game your game. It's probably mostly trivial to adapt any CT (or even MT) scenario to run under Cepheus.
Yes I think its only the scenario's characters that will need some work adding stamina and lifeblood. Most of the other stuff is the same I think. I haven't checked the weapons yet to see if they are the same. Some of the skills have changed a little bit - Repair, Advocate, Gambling etc.

Compared to the early 2000's, Traveller (and it's offshoots) is producing stuff (directly or by imitation) faster than it has in years.

Do I like it all? No.

Could I afford it all? No.

Could I use it all? No

Am I enjoying it? Yes, more than I have for a few decades.

I am in awe of the people who have run (in so many directions) with the idea and in so many settings. (OK that may be hyperbole, but you get the gist I hope)

The whole point of Cepheus is they are using the MgT1 SRD but stripped out all the IP surrounding the setting- so classic ships, classic career names, TAS, Imperium, etc.

Which personally I think was very kind of Miller and Mongoose and smart too- creates a richer content zone and biome where people mix and match and gets more buy in to the whole system. This after the MgT2 TAS license came out and there was a similar tempest in our teapot. WotC would have done well to pay attention to what happened here and how we got better, not bitter.

So if you are liking the CE mechanics you’re giving a thumbs up to the Mongoose version 1, but it’s never getting the setting IP for free. EVER.

Well, he's praising Cepheus Deluxe which has very little of the Mongoose v1 in it at all at this point. Cepheus has been deviating from that base for a long time and the mechanics of CD aren't really that close to MgT1e any longer.

I think it was brilliant for Miller and Mongoose to start that program (though I suspect the latter sort of regrets it at this stage). But you're absolutely right about how things have gotten better and how WotC should have noted the kerfuffle that came out of that... but I suspect WotC doesn't even know any of us exist.

Frankly, most of the CE publishers are happy creating our own settings and doing something different. Most of us are deviating away from the MgT1e base with every book we write. No offense to the OTU, but I'd far rather work on Clement Sector and Earth Sector which are my primary loves and have been since I started the setting in the late 80s. I wouldn't want to use their IP.

As to Marc working with Cepheus people - Marc produced T5 as his vision of the ultimate version, and his novels have redefined the Third Imperium setting, not to mention his retcons invalidating canon. Be thankful that he has given his blessing to Cepheus, but it is a very different beast to T5 and the OTU.

I'm very thankful to Marc. He's done a lot for the Cepheus publishers. He's done a lot for me personally. If Marc wanted to come work with us, I'd welcome him with open arms.

I suspect he has other fish to fry though.

Back