• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why 1 turret per 100 tons?

Originally posted by robject:
I thought the jump volume barrier was overcome at TL16+ anyway... makes TL16 an important milestone, it does (nice progression, what with AM coming into play at TL17).
The jump fuel required gets less as you go up the extreme TL scale in MT.
CT 1st edition has jump torpedos, and TNE has jump capable small craft.

And I agree that the Gazelle should be classified as a 400 ton ship, unless the design foregoes its extra armaments...
Which is why I've suggested that a barbette in CT isn't just a heavier turret, but rather is a reinforcement of the hull etc. which allows more turrets to be installed than the normal hull tonnage would indicate.

The Gazelle could then be explained as having used up a hardpoint for its drop tanks, but is upgunned by the instillation of two barbettes.

This would also allow the conversion of a couple of TNE designs to other Traveller version ;)

The term "Barbette" refers to s specific type of large gun mount on naval vessels...

the traveller useage, as reinforced from HG, MT, T4 and TNE, is a 5-10 ton heavy turret, which goes in a corresponding socket.

On the smaller ships, the SA issue is not really an issue.

The Gazelle was designed for the tanks, the extra hardpoints are different from the hardpoints of small craft... or for turrets. Perhaps they should not be, but it doesn't matter.

She mounts barbettes because she's got the tonnage to spare. (and that's the only way to mount a PA-14)

Originally posted by Aramis:
The term "Barbette" refers to a specific type of large gun mount on naval vessels...
Exactly my point, a mount upon which a turret can be placed.
A cylindrical heavily armored column that serves as support for the turreted guns. Protects ammunition handling equipment
A barbette is the fixed area underneath a rotating gun turret on a warship. It contains the top ends of the hoists that lift shells and cordite from below.
So hardpoints can have turrets, and if you want more turrets on your ship than available hardpoints allow then you have to build barbettes to support the extra turrets ;)

Actually, it refers to the turret portion, not the socket, per se, in naval parlance.

According to Dictionary.reference.com:
bar·bette P Pronunciation Key (bär-bt)
n.
A platform or mound of earth within a fort from which guns are fired over the parapet.
An armored protective cylinder around a revolving gun turret on a warship.
It's the above deck armored cylinder around the gun mounts, for example on the Monitor or Merrimack. The guns were inside it, and it usually rotates with the guns (though some were deck fixtures...

So, really, it's late age-of-sail early age-of-steam armored deck guns, as opposed to unarmored deck guns. True turrets, in the modern sense go beyond simply armoring a gun; they integrate the gun and armor into a unified whole. modern style turrets appear later, as well.

Keep in mind, the guns of the period were mostly free-rolling artillery placed into tracks, and larger, footed, guns basically "bolted down" to the deck, to keep them from breaking through rails, etc., when the ship listed. Barbettes then begin to protect these, some permanently fixed, some fixed to the rotating carriage; most of these guns were still manually turned. Most of these "Fixed Swivels" sooner or later used below deck magazines.

I know there is specific difference beyond this in the 1880-1912 timeframe, but don't have the references to hand. (stored, most of them.)

The best comparison is that the Traveller turret represents the pintels of a naval craft, like the .50Cal MG, Nordenfelt, and QF2#. Barbettes the smaller artillery, like a BB's 5" 50Cal or a twin 3" secondary. Bays represent 8, 10, and 12"" singles, dual 5's and 6's, and even dual 8"... Spinals represent twin and trip 12's and up...

At least, that's how I see the correspondence.

Originally posted by Aramis:
The best comparison is that the Traveller turret represents the pintels of a naval craft, like the .50Cal MG, Nordenfelt, and QF2#. Barbettes the smaller artillery, like a BB's 5" 50Cal or a twin 3" secondary. Bays represent 8, 10, and 12"" singles, dual 5's and 6's, and even dual 8"... Spinals represent twin and trip 12's and up...

At least, that's how I see the correspondence.
I'd go along with that usually ;)

How about cell launched missiles rather than magazine fed?
Is the latter a turret weapon, while the former a bay?

Uh, gee, I don't quite remember what cell launched missiles are... I think they're the boxes on a pintel...

Many modern missile systems are a pintel with twin, quad or octobox launchers... I'd say those equate to turrets (twin), or barbettes (bigger). Most of these can be reloaded from below deck with 0 crew exposure.

The In deck racks might be bays. Torpedoes definitely are barbettes or small bays. But most are simply variations on turretts or barbettes, IMO... (Most of my naval wargaming was 1890-1918 period stuff (battlewagon). I enjoy harpoon, but seldom play it.

There are the deck mounted boxes you've mentioned, and then there is the Vertical Launch System
link

And I'd completely forgotten about torpedos :confused:

Back