• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Why I don't overly worry about system generation

because we keep finding new things that should not happen by current models.
Heck, right now I throw 1d6/2 for number of potential "worlds" Plus the presences of belts and gas giants... For the worlds I use a general affinity roll and resource roll to figure out the population. Leaving the details for later.

J1407b has entered the conversation.

I recall the early days on the TML, when more than one armchair astrophysicist would argue that the Traveller world and system generation process had results that were too weird. Since Hubble and other projects started finding exoplanets, the opposite is now true: Traveller is not weird enough. Or at least, the possible list of details to assign to Atmospheres A-C has grown.

I recall the early days on the TML, when more than one armchair astrophysicist would argue that the Traveller world and system generation process had results that were too weird. Since Hubble and other projects started finding exoplanets, the opposite is now true: Traveller is not weird enough. Or at least, the possible list of details to assign to Atmospheres A-C has grown.
I'm old enough to remember when the theory was no GGs could exist in inner orbits. :eek:

I'm old enough to remember when the theory was no GGs could exist in inner orbits. :eek:
Remember when everyone thought that planetary systems around other stars would "basically look like ours" so we could just assume that what we Solomani have here in the Solar System was basically representative of everything everywhere else (copy/paste/done).

And then we started detecting exoplanets around other stars.

And after confirming THOUSANDS of exoplanets ... almost NOTHING looks like the planets we know about in the Solar System.
If anything, the Solar System now seems to be INCREDIBLY WEIRD compared to the types of exoplanets we've detected around other stars.

So if anything, the Rare Earth Hypothesis is actually starting to look more and more likely to be the case ... :oops:

Traveller system gen is too weird... because it's weird is in the direction of "Insufficient mass for the atmosphere"...
while real world has given us "Way more hot gas giants than Traveller," "Rogue Planets which traveller lacks," and "Only T5 has brown dwarfs, and not enough of them." Not to mention "no provision for tidelocked worlds."

When I catch myself trying to force Traveller to be "realistic" I find all I end up doing is getting a headache. So I just accept that in the fictional place that is my Traveller game, things are the way they are. Then when I feel so moved, I toss in some of the stuff I read about here or just add a system if I want something. I know, horrible of me, but I just want to run around and have fun during my game time, not have to do work towards a Doctorate in Astrophysics or some other science field. 😄 :ROFLMAO::LOL:😄:)(y)

Captain Obvious (a fake name): I was looking through the Traveller rules and have just discovered that in the OTU water is wet! Isn't that amazing?

Light of CotI (another fake name): Now wait just a moment! Using current scientific formulas, water in our universe isn't actually wet.

Captain Obvious: I know water isn't wet. I'm actually looking through my Traveller rule books and the Traveller Wiki to find out what wet actually is and how it affects the game. I haven't found much on it yet, but I just think wet could be something interesting to throw at the players in my campaign to liven things up. I mean, if water being wet is important enough to mention, why are there no rules about how it affects the game? I just thought the concept of wet is kind of amazing, which is why I posted.

Back to reality.

There are hundreds (?) of posts of new scientific discoveries on the CotI and then discussions on how they make Traveller less 'real'. The way I see it, the Traveller Universe is internally real to it's self and doesn't really need to be compared to our universe or vise versa. The sciences, physics, and natural laws of Traveller are similar to our universe, but there are subtle differences. And that is what makes Traveller such a fun place to play.

Lastly, I actually enjoy reading most of the discoveries posted and linked in the forum, and sometimes I've gone looking for information for my own edification, and understanding of both the real world and Traveller. I'm bookwyrm and I like reading Sci-Fi. I also find the discovery of new scientific knowledge to be fun. And I do my best not to let my scientific knowledge interfere with my enjoyment of Sci-Fi or let my reading of Sci-Fi make me reflect badly on science in general. And the same goes for Traveller. The only really big change I've made to my system generation is to use the Gas Giant modifiers from the Gas Giant post in Freelance Traveller.

Captain Obvious (a fake name): I was looking through the Traveller rules and have just discovered that in the OTU water is wet! Isn't that amazing?

Light of CotI (another fake name): Now wait just a moment! Using current scientific formulas, water in our universe isn't actually wet.

Captain Obvious: I know water isn't wet. I'm actually looking through my Traveller rule books and the Traveller Wiki to find out what wet actually is and how it affects the game. I haven't found much on it yet, but I just think wet could be something interesting to throw at the players in my campaign to liven things up. I mean, if water being wet is important enough to mention, why are there no rules about how it affects the game? I just thought the concept of wet is kind of amazing, which is why I posted.

Back to reality.

There are hundreds (?) of posts of new scientific discoveries on the CotI and then discussions on how they make Traveller less 'real'. The way I see it, the Traveller Universe is internally real to it's self and doesn't really need to be compared to our universe or vise versa. The sciences, physics, and natural laws of Traveller are similar to our universe, but there are subtle differences. And that is what makes Traveller such a fun place to play.

Lastly, I actually enjoy reading most of the discoveries posted and linked in the forum, and sometimes I've gone looking for information for my own edification, and understanding of both the real world and Traveller. I'm bookwyrm and I like reading Sci-Fi. I also find the discovery of new scientific knowledge to be fun. And I do my best not to let my scientific knowledge interfere with my enjoyment of Sci-Fi or let my reading of Sci-Fi make me reflect badly on science in general. And the same goes for Traveller. The only really big change I've made to my system generation is to use the Gas Giant modifiers from the Gas Giant post in Freelance Traveller.
Again, Traveller is a sci-fi story sim not a space science sim.

Makes a good story and adventure, use it. Not fun or challenging fun, discard it.

Now wait just a moment! Using current scientific formulas, water in our universe isn't actually wet.

I now know why I've observed water behaving differently on different surfaces. I wonder if I'll think of what I leaned the next time I see water on a flat surface.

For those who are wondering, I do know that water is wet. My previous post is a humorous look at how some threads take a turn down a side road before connecting back with the original post.

As someone who paints models and makes terrain, I am very aware of "wet water" - the addition of just a little bit of surfactant really does help.

Back