• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your biggest waste of money?

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are Path of Tears and Survival Margin?
A waste of money, apparently

Sorry - couldn't resist.

As we're bunging in our favourites aswell, I'll have to say the GURPS Traveller core book. I've got absolutely no time for the GURPS rule system, but the G:T core book was succinct, to the point and heavily illustrated with images and text. An excellent intro to the vast 3I for newcomers as far as I'm concerned.

Crow

Originally posted by Paraquat Johnson:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what are Path of Tears and Survival Margin?
Sourcebooks for Traveller the New Era.

Survial Margin told the story of how the Rebellion led to the New Era, largely using TNS articles. Very effective but depressing.

Path of Tears was the Star Viking sourcebook for the New Era. An excellent book - with comprehensive details on the background, policies and politics of the Reformation Coalition. The subectors around the RC were well detailed too - with maps, politics, and adventure hooks for about 20 worlds in the RC's Primary area of operations. All you needed to get a really rocking campaign going.

Starviking

Originally posted by Bob Weaver:
Please forgive the question, I don't mean to start any arguements, I'm just curious as to others' perspective; to wit, what was so bad about the COACC book?
Mr. Weaver,

While I liked the idea of COACC, I just never had a reason to use it. There were some other problems with it too.

- As you and others mentioned, it followed a more 'Striker-ish' design sequence. Nothing wrong with that; I love Striker, but MT didn't design anything the way Striker did. So, in MT you designed steamships, air/rafts, starships, and nearly everything else one way and you designed aircraft in a totally different way. COACC didn't fit the rules set it was supposedly written for.

- The combat rules and tasks followed the design sequence's lead, only more so. They weren't MT and they weren't Striker either.

- The TL 'window' for COACC's utility was narrow too. Once you had fusion plants and thrusters, you were building smallcraft. There were only so many places and situations where a TL6-9 aircraft would work as part of an adventure.

COACC was the odd man out in so many ways. It didn't follow the MT design paradigm, didn't follow any other previous combat paradigm, and it was constrained TL-wise.

Still, I would have loved to have tried the campiagn game!

Have fun,
Bill

Bob Weaver said:
what was so bad about the COACC book?
I think I have gone on at length about this on the thread, but it is not that it was bad in quality; indeed, I thought that a lot of time and effort went into the product.

It was a misfit that really didn't belong. (yeah, yeah - Island of Misfit RPG Supplements...
)

Hyphen said:
First, if PCs play high-tech, then COACC might leave them cold, coming as it does primarily in the TL 7-10 space. Maybe there's not much they can use (for one thing, few PC's have flying skills)? "Wot, no spaceships?"
Well, I think this sums it up in a nutshell. I play/read Traveller to imagine travel among the stars. My character's starship can fly - I don't really give a rat's ass about planes, unless I am in a rare occasion that they are needed.

When the company that publishes the game comes out with nothing to support it, then finally releases COACC that is useless (IMO), some bad blood will be generated.

Ironically, I didn't have a problem with atmospheric-only craft when I made the switch to TNE, due to Fire, Fusion and Steel.

Bob Weaver said:
what was so bad about the COACC book?
I think I have gone on at length about this on the thread, but it is not that it was bad in quality; indeed, I thought that a lot of time and effort went into the product.

It was a misfit that really didn't belong. (yeah, yeah - Island of Misfit RPG Supplements...
)

Hyphen said:
First, if PCs play high-tech, then COACC might leave them cold, coming as it does primarily in the TL 7-10 space. Maybe there's not much they can use (for one thing, few PC's have flying skills)? "Wot, no spaceships?"
Well, I think this sums it up in a nutshell. I play/read Traveller to imagine travel among the stars. My character's starship can fly - I don't really give a rat's ass about planes, unless I am in a rare occasion that they are needed.

When the company that publishes the game comes out with nothing to support it, then finally releases COACC that is useless (IMO), some bad blood will be generated.

Ironically, I didn't have a problem with atmospheric-only craft when I made the switch to TNE, due to Fire, Fusion and Steel.

COACC's problems?

commentary in italics
1) it came during a drought of product
2) inconsistent tasks
3) Like striker, it created a dualism of design sequences;
In Striker, you have ground & grav using a very much volume, Mass Cost and Power design sequence. For Aircraft, volume is far less a concern, and they use a different design process.

In COACC, the difference is more obvious due to both poor design sequence layout and the wider options.

4) It was addressing areas of technology not popular with most players, both in terms of TL and technology type

5) It was aimed at the wargaming side of things

I did find it useful, if nothing else, for refutations on the TML and XBML...

Thanks to all who took my question seriously and without offense. I always appreciate the seriousness and courtesy I see on these boards, even among folks who disagree.

Merry Christmas to all you good folk!

Originally posted by Bill Cameron:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Bob Weaver:
Please forgive the question, I don't mean to start any arguements, I'm just curious as to others' perspective; to wit, what was so bad about the COACC book?
Mr. Weaver,

While I liked the idea of COACC, I just never had a reason to use it. There were some other problems with it too.

- As you and others mentioned, it followed a more 'Striker-ish' design sequence. Nothing wrong with that; I love Striker, but MT didn't design anything the way Striker did. So, in MT you designed steamships, air/rafts, starships, and nearly everything else one way and you designed aircraft in a totally different way. COACC didn't fit the rules set it was supposedly written for.

Bill
</font>[/QUOTE]This is an interesting assertion, given that MT incorporated the Striker take on much of what it addressed. The MT vehicular weapons tables are directly reproducible using Striker, the powerplant assumptions are from Striker (which is what led to the reduction in Jump fuel in MT, to make room for all those standard ship design choices), the armor definitions are Striker-based, and sensors, commo, and most of the rest of the fiddly bits of vehicular design were lifted from Strike whole. Starship combat went back to HG, and did so badly, mind you.

All in all, the heavy adaption of Striker assumptions was what made MT starships the absolute mess they were. The reason all the example designs were at TL15 was because that was the only TL they worked at, given the Striker assumptions.

The TL extensions of MT were also what made the Darrian TL16 fleet the "paper tiger" it was later described to be, instead of the real tiger it would have been in the TL15-poor Marches had it been much larger. MT made it plain that TL"16" was really the top end of TL15, and that TL17 was the next actual step.

In general DGP made a mess of the Traveller universe. What allows DGP to keep it's reputation intact is that it was a "shiny" mess at all times. Very good production values, generally good writing, and some of the best artists in RPGs at the time successfully hid the TL problem (born from the Striker assumptions), hideous editing issues (it was called MegaErrata for good reason), and a metaplot that was heading to several disparate nowheres ("baddies from the Core"? Yecch!) simultaneously.

That said, much of this was only evident in retrospect, and I do not regret purchasing any MT product except Shattered Ships.

T4, on the other hand, was a long list of regrets built on noble goals sacrificed on the altar of cash & expedience. I do not blame Courtney Solomon (he of the D&D movie, and owner of Sweetpea Productions, who bought Imperium Games) for T4s failure, I blame Ken Whitman (Gaming's very own snake-oil salesman) for dragging Marc and the Traveller fandom along for the ride, then selling it off to Mr. Solomon and running for cover. I do not regret *all* of my T4 purchases, but I do regret most of them.

well then.

On the plus side, The Traveller Adventure (CT) stands as one of the best RPG supplement/adventures ever done. Period. It sits in the same class as Midkemia Press' "Cities" (later Chaosium's "Runequest Cities"), and Hero Games' "Lands of Mystery", as *real* groundbreaking products of their day.

GypsyComet:

I concur quite a bit with that assessment.

There are two T4 products I use: The core book and Psionic Institutes... I retrofit the psionics rules to MT. Other than psionics, I find t4 pretty much a waste. Pocket empires has a nifty rule for genetic influence on attributes... but in general, T4 was (and is) a wasteland.

Y'see, psionics was the one area where MT really blew chunks for me...

In CT, if you had the points, and the skill, it happened.
In MT, you had to make a skill roll to use the points for the level.
In TNE, you had to make a skill roll, but no points.
In T4, if you had the points and the skill, it happens.
In T4+PI, again, skill rolls needed.

So, In CT: ZTM's get the fix, jump across, one or two of them can pop through a door or two.
In MT: Most of the squad makes it across, but a few stay put due to failed rolls. Many of these try again next round. Once they get there, some might pop through a door.
In TNE: The vast majority make the jump, but the squad is spread out on a line between origin and target point; once there, so long as the clairvoyant is with, pop through doors at will, and basically run rampant across the ship; if they can see it, they can get there. Curtains become rule of the day on all windows.
In T4: The whole squad jumps together, and might be able to bypass a door or window or two. Often, they can pop back.
In T4+PI: much like MT.

Dear Folks -

Originally posted by Aramis:
I retrofit the psionics rules to MT.
I'd love to see them.

After making the mistake of allowing our Psi-15 Droyne access to the TNE rules, I'm trying to get the genie back into the bottle again...

Lack of points and/or endurance problems allowed Ervmisbe to ping-ponged around in Efate orbit, nuke-mining a Zho CruRon. The party were then able to use nuclear blackmail to get the 4518th (in a Triad-class merchant) off-planet and out-system...

[Yes, its IMTU, why do you ask? ;) ]

Get the t4 core book, Use psionics AS PRESENTED IN T4 Core rules... I simply replaced MT's psi chapter with T4's. Psi skills are normal skills under T4, so I count them against the Experience limit, when I use it.

Psi was not well thought out in TNE... it wasn't supposed to be an issue, so they just used the rules from Dark Conspiracy...

And no TNE teleporter-clairvoyant can be stopped by anything save a psionic shield, or not having any breathable air.

T4, definitely! Which is why I picked up most of mine when the local gamestores dumped their Traveller stuff, which is also how I picked up my copy of Tarsus. Unfortunately, I was unemployed when the only store that carried TNE minis dumped them.

What's amazing about Omaha is the little demand for Traveller. Weirder still is whenever I run a Traveller game at Nukecon I never lack for players.

My biggest waste of money...

hmmm...

Second survey...

and

...T4 Starships.

Of the latter - I didn't rip it to pieces because I borrowed it from a friend. It was the 'Battle hymn of the Imperium' that did it for me...

Starviking

THREAD NECROMANCY

a bit of a no no but since this thread ran its natural course there has been a lot more stuff for Traveller. I'm not encouraging any major flames but there has been a lot of disappointments out there.

So to add to my money wasting;

GURPS Traveller Bounty Hunters. Disappointing.
The QLI 1248 pre-order. Not a complaint against QLI but receiving effectively half of what was paid for in a frankly shoddy,badly printed format left a sour taste in my mouth. And the book wasn't that good either.
Mongoose Traveller Mercenary. Not all bad but the bad stuff was so egregiously bad that it nearly soured my view of Mongoose Traveller permanently.

Anyone want to add.

Moderator Mode: Thread Necro has never been forbidden here, especially when relevant.

Now, outside moderator mode:
Mongoose HG: didn't do well what it set out to do. Poorly organized.
Mongoose T&GB: the PDF is useless; the art was included as rasters rather than vectors, and at about 80dpi; the text on the maps is unreadable.
Mongoose Mercenary: It's quite obvious the author either never went to basic training, or learned absolutely nothing there. Heck, even cadet time is enough to know how badly written the bad is. Worse, they were warned ahead of time and went forward.

I would have said T4, but I see it more of a do-er up, as you would look at a classic car long neglected and abandoned in a barn and home to wildlife of various types, you drag it away, strip it down and rebuild it,

But T4 starships, has no redeemable value,

The QLI 1248 pre-order. Not a complaint against QLI but receiving effectively half of what was paid for in a frankly shoddy,badly printed format left a sour taste in my mouth. And the book wasn't that good either.

I am baffled as to why this is "not a complaint against QLI" given that you did not like it, and you did not like the format, and you consider it a waste of your money here. You are certainly not praising it, so why not be honest about it and say that it is a complaint?

I would say my biggest waste of money was, unfortunately, T20. I thought it was a very poor attempt at hacking Classic Traveller into D&D Third Edition that did not do either very well - in my opinion it would have been much better if QLI had used d20 Modern or d20 Future as a starting point, or just made a new d20 system from scratch using the OGL (similar to what was done with other games such as Mutants and Masterminds).

I was not at all impressed with T4 either.

Back