• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 2

Your Favorite non-GDW Scifi RPG, Part 2

• Total voters
Haven’t picked up Aliens yet, but I thought they did a really good job with Coriolis.

Careful with the name, especially if looking for it online from 3rd parties...

• ALIENS Adventure Game is the old Leading Edge Phoenix Command Lite.
  • ALIEN the Roleplaying Game (note the lack of s) is the one by Free League (Fria Ligan).

ALIEN is not quite the same mechanics as Coriolis. Very related, but comparable to AD&D 2 vs D&D Cyclopedia, or CT and MT.

I've been an avid Star Frontiers fan since the game debuted. I actually used Traveller Supplement-7 Traders & Gunboats as a reverse-engineered method for drafting ship rules for SF (the follow up Knight Hawks boxed set didn't come out for another year).

One of the primary ships in that house-ruled ship game was the Volturnian Knighthawk, so imagine my teenaged glee when I saw an official Star Frontiers boxed set boasting a similar name a year later...

In 1985 one of my gaming friends wanted to buy SF to run his own games. He went to a local hobby shop but they were out of stock, so the shopkeeper turned him on to Traveller. That's how I was first introduced to this game...on the technicality that a shop was out of stock of another game. :cool:

I liked the idea in the Babylon Project combat where you decide immediate effects during combat, then after combat saw if bones were broken, you were bleeding to death etc, but the hit location put me off enough to skip on the game.
I also liked that the space combat was baically "full thrust" with player abilities thrown in.
Not Basically... Jon Tuffley licensed it to Chameleon Ecclectic. It literally is Full Thrust with player abilities and some minor changes to Tech.

Because there is no "other" option I put down Space Opera as I have an old love affair with it, though it has a lot of problems as a game. Actually, though, my current favourite is M-Space (using the Mythras system). Before M-Space for many years it was Chaosium's Ringworld.

Back