• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Your favorite Type-S dp?

Originally posted by El Darbo:
Have you ever noticed that most deckplans don't include a way for the crew to disembark when the ship (if it is capable) is grounded?
Yeah, that's something I tackled in my Wedgie design . I have an airlock on the lower deck forward of everything else. It has an Iris valve in the floor for connecting to universal docking collars in space and a standard airlock door that leads on to a ramp that is part of the forward landing gears - you can just about make it out in the second picture.

I really must do deckplans one day.

Crow

Below is my most recent design. I built it myself (Look of Proud Kid with Lego). I used Visio and some stencils I found online and in the program itself. The operating stats for the ship are from GUPRS Interstellar Wars ship design rules. I will post the spreadsheet for those some time soon. In a nut shell she is
150 Dtons
Jump 2 with 30 Dtons fuel
Refines full fuel load in 19 hours
3.25 Gs thrust empty
2 Gs thrust loaded
1 Triple Turret and Hardpoint (I dispersed them in the plan but they are accounted for in the design and the plan)
1 Pulse Laser
1 Missile Launcher
1 Sandcaster
Scan 19 sensors (read as Good+ sensors for other Traveller universes - Better than a merchant, not as good as a Ship of the Line.)
Standard bridge
6 Standard Staterooms
2 (Yes that's correct, two) Modular Cutter Bays holding 30 Dtons each of modules. That is a total of 60 Dtons available for mission load outs.
The hull is an Airframe with Stealth
Price is (IIRC 85 MCr New)
7 Dtons cargo hold
1 MW power shortfall (so you can't run the fuel plant and the pulse laser at the same time. Fuel up and filter before you have to run)
The final design is approx 157 Dtons which is within 5% of projected so not to shabby.
Starting from the bridge, which is upper deck, forward there is 4 acceleration couches on the bridge, going clockwise from the bridge iris valve, at 1 o'clock is the co-pilot seat, at 3 o'clock is the commo/sensor ops, at 9 o'clock is the enclosed gunner station (holo projection surround screens) and at 11 o'clock is the pilot seat.
Aft are the crew staterooms, with the foremost port stateroom being a single bunk for the Captain. The others are all double bunk as needed. Each stateroom has a fresher.
There is a lift shaft which can be sealed to the lower deck.
Aft of this is the upper Sandcaster emitter and control array. This covers the upper arc of the ship.
Aft is Cutter Module Bay 1
The between module bay space is a through passage and airlock. This airlock opens overhead and has a docking ring array to lock onto craft and space-stations above the ship.
Port and starboard are the missile launch arrays. They are accessible from the access panels and outside. Loading is done on the ground from the outside. You could load them from within the ship, but it is difficult and can only be done slowly (IMHO no more than one missile per combat turn, it would need a minimum of two crew members and that crew would be taken away from any other duties; e.g. Damage Control, Engineering, Gunnery, etc.)
Aft of that is Cutter Module Bay 2
Aft of that is the upper engineering deck, which is catwalked and open grating to below. This deck mounts the maneuver drives and the engineer's station dead aft. It also has a work bench to starboard and forward in this compartment.
Below this is the lower deck engineering space. This space contains another work bench, the Jump drive, the Power plant, the fuel purification plant and a small airlock aft and portside.
Port and starboard are the fuel tanks, the inlet valves and plumbing for fuel and the wing root sensors.
Forward is the lower part of Cutter Module Bay 2.
Forward of that is the lower pass through and the pulse laser arrays. IMTU the pulse laser uses 8 emitter arrays, on laser periscopes, which collimate on distant targets. This airlock opens through the deck below and has a docking ring array to lock onto craft and space-stations below the ship.
Forward of that is the lower part of Cutter Module Bay 1.
Forward of this is the lower Sandcaster emitter and control array. This covers the lower arc of the ship.
Forward of that is the main crew/passenger airlock on the starboard side, the ships locker and main safe on the port side. This area contains the lower part of the lift shaft.
Forward of that is the ship's cargo bay, which opens both port and starboard.
Forward of that is the galley and work space. It even has a washer and dryer and work space for folding clothes. The galley has 2, refrigerators, 2 microwaves, 2 dishwashers, a garbage compactor, a range with 4 burners and a griddle, a coffee maker and water cooler, a built in oven and lots of shelf and counter space.
Forward of this is the crew lounge. Clockwise from the iris valve is the repeater monitors at 12 o'clock, the multi-machine exercise device at 2 o'clock, a multi option video machine at 2:30, the wardroom table at 3 o'clock, the couches and recliner at 9 o'clock to 11 o'clock.
Depicted in the crew lounge, to scale, are foremost a geneered Ursa, middle is a human, aft is a geneered marsupial/primate/rodent. All three are crew members.
Forward of that is the main sensor emitter and receiver array. A smaller array is above this in the bridge space.

Flickr File of My Design

Edited 10/13/06 for clarity – Sandcaster placement, Mid-ship airlock’s description, and lounge crew scale depiction.

Hey long time no post Padre

Pretty work. Visio, wow!

One thing, I'm a bit freaked out by the giant chasing the person chasing the child ;) (lower deck, nose - crew lounge, icons of person in three sizes) What's that about?

Howdy. Back again after a hiatus.

I play in FatherFletch's Traveller campaign and I can tell ya how all this came about.

Our ship, the IMV Destiny's Claw, had been confiscated by the Imperial Navy Board of Engineering Safety Review Panel after a serious (25 parsec +) misjump. Since it was a Subsidized Merchant that meant that we were simply out of a job, not 'stranded' per se. At our wits' end, our pilot, Yoriko, contacted the IISS Detatched Duty Office to see if we couldn't get a ship...

We could. She was a half stripped refugee from the knacker's yard that didn't even have a name, just a hull registry. After six months of putting her back together, AND with the significant help of a noble we'd helped out in the past, the ended up with the above: the IISS (D) Sirocco.

Credit given where credit is due, it was our engineer, Reepacheep, who came up with the idea of the modular cutter bays. By the by, the pilot with the great idea of going to the IISS for a ship is 12 y/o and the engineer with the great idea about modular bays is 16. That's because the adults in the party were clueless....
file_21.gif

The design is an old Paranoid Press (the guys who did The Beyond Sector and SORAG) Wind-class Extended Scout adapted to the GURPS 4th ed. modular design rules from GT: Interstellar Wars.

To answer Far-Trader's question, the three-scale sophonts is because the larger figure is our Ursa, the middle is Human, and the small figure is Reepacheep, who is a geneered rodent of some form (we never have figured out what). Given that my toon is a Vargr, and we have an Acheronian (High G DNA-modified) Human aboard, we sort of have a 'Geneticists Suck' mafia aboard ship.

For designs using the Type S spec, the Sulie and T20 versions are hard to beat, though I'm also quite happy with my own Vilani version (based on an old bit of art I saw in OMNI magazine).

For "Scouts" in general, the Serpent-class is a nice boat. I'm also fond of the 150-ton Hubworlds Scout I did for TNE.

Crow, I love your 3d art. The landing gear, the ramp, and the cargo bay make so much sense it's rediculous.

Looking at all of these deck plans, I see a ton of great ideas and great layouts, but I do have a worry... head banging.
No, not heavy metal hair woosh-woosh, but most deck plans fill the entire displacement of teh hull, which we all know can't happen if you're in a wedgie, as you'll smack you head against the ceiling as it slopes down to meet the floor/wall. So of the plans do take this into account, but then you don't really have space for everything that is required.
It's especially funny if you create a 3d model from a set of deckplans that are worked out to fill the hull, then put people inside it, and see their heads sticking out through the hull!

In my current deck plans I now to some planning to minimise the "head banging", you can see this with my TL9
Replenisher class cargo sloop
www.skaran.net/uwcampaign/technology/craft/deckplans/replenisherpln.html

Which though not a typs S I found rather challenging.

My first scoutship, Outreach class
www.skaran.net/uwcampaign/technology/craft/deckplans/outreachpln.html

was designed around a Silent Death miniature (Black Widow from memory) so this was not a real concern.

Apologies to those looking at the site as it is in a bit of disarray at the moment following a server change. It is in the process of being brought back up to speed.

Back