• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

400 ton trader

Move the engineering bulkhead forward 1.5m and that gives you 8 tons.
I like the idea of the lower and upper hold having a removable floor or just being open.
Hey where did the computer go? There was a Mod2?

I am going to go with snap in doom dividers and extra life support units to convert the upper deck into a passenger area. Not 1st class to be sure but it will make it more useful.

Make this ship TL-11.

Yep, really makes it less cramped.
The engineers will be thankful

I like high cargo area ceilings, too.
Just think of Serenities cargo hold.....

Do You already have a rough impression about the exterior design ??

Just because each drive "takes up" the shown volume, doesn't mean it "fills up" the shown volume.

The computer is subsumed into the Bridge blackout.

out-and-out removing the ceiling of the lower bay effectively divides the upper deck into three areas: The aft loft, accessed from the rear door, the deep center accessed from either the lower deck or a top door, and the forward loft, accessed either from some side doors or the lift. The two lofts could be connected by a catwalk, entirely isolated, or each have a lift or stairs down into the Deep Center. Leaving the borders completely open is asking for trouble. Not to say some snarky captains wouldn't...

^ OK

Pish, just string up some netting and it will be fine.

It is just routine cargo run in safe space, what could go wrong?

As for the look...
I am thinking of something that looks like an Air stream mobile home or trailer. Brushed stainless exterior, orange Imperial star on the side. Over time they get dirty, rust and age. These ships are not supposed to be pretty but functional. Good Vilani design with lots of user serviceable parts and built to last. They are constructed at TL-11 on a TL-12 world.

Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
I concur with Bromgrev, on the need for every merchie built to have at least 1x subcraft for interface work-passenger luggage schlepping to and from orbit.
I concur as well.

For the dtonnage, I'd consider swapping the Launch for a Modular Cutter.

IMTU, I use 1/5/10/30/60 dton stackable cargo containers widely, and I fly a very similar drives-D, 180-dton hold, Model/2, 400 dtonner ubiquitously. (I add two more hardpoints, each sporting a dual sandcaster fixed mount, but that's just me...)

The Modular Cutter would let you handle and swap up to 6 Modules of varying types, but only displaces the Launch's 20 dtons sans a Module of its own.

Originally posted by boomslang:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Liam Devlin:
I concur with Bromgrev, on the need for every merchie built to have at least 1x subcraft for interface work-passenger luggage schlepping to and from orbit.
I concur as well.

For the dtonnage, I'd consider swapping the Launch for a Modular Cutter.

IMTU, I use 1/5/10/30/60 dton stackable cargo containers widely, and I fly a very similar drives-D, 180-dton hold, Model/2, 400 dtonner ubiquitously. (I add two more hardpoints, each sporting a dual sandcaster fixed mount, but that's just me...)

The Modular Cutter would let you handle and swap up to 6 Modules of varying types, but only displaces the Launch's 20 dtons sans a Module of its own.
</font>[/QUOTE]Only on the oddest of parent ships. The missing 30 tons is in the *middle* of the Cutter, and I don't recall seeing a "Collapsible Cutter" anywhere. I suppose you could drape it over an appropriately-shaped cargo bay, but you're still letting it rule the design of the larger ship as if it were it's full tonnage (50 dtons), and once the subcraft get to be too large a percentage of the carrier, design gets a lot less straightforward for streamlined (or even just enclosed) hulls, particularly those with existing artwork that doesn't show the subcraft.

A particularly long or otherwise unwieldy subcraft can have an effect all out of proportion to its actual volume. This is the reason the Yacht variant known as the Safari Ship (subcraft at 10%) has working deckplans published, while the standard Yacht (20% subcraft) doesn't. The Ship's Boat is 15% of the Yacht all by itself, should be designed with access for the ATV (the other 5%), AND is about 2/3 the length of the Yacht. Now fit everything else into the hull, make it look like the art, AND make it look vaguely like it is actually a luxury vessel, which means keeping the passenger area (another 25% of the volume) in a configuration that's good for parties...

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
The missing 30 tons is in the *middle* of the Cutter, and I don't recall seeing a "Collapsible Cutter" anywhere. I suppose you could drape it over an appropriately-shaped cargo bay, but you're still letting it rule the design of the larger ship as if it were it's full tonnage (50 dtons), and once the subcraft get to be too large a percentage of the carrier, design gets a lot less straightforward for streamlined (or even just enclosed) hulls, particularly those with existing artwork that doesn't show the subcraft. This is the reason the Yacht variant known as the Safari Ship (subcraft at 10%) has working deckplans published, while the standard Yacht (20% subcraft) doesn't.
I've never been one to let difficult deck plans scuttle a perfectly legal and workable design under the rules. Note that the Type C carries Cutters and Modules fairly efficiently (although the swapping-out procedure is unnecessarily complicated in order to provide dramatic tension and logistical headaches for PCs).

The Modular Cutter is of course carried at its full 50 dtons; it travels with one of my six Modules installed in it. 200 dtons = 5 Cutter Modules + 1 Cutter w/Module = 6 Modules + 1 Small Craft

The whole concept of "streamlining" is kind of nebulous anyway... let the Naval Architect sweat a little to earn the fee...

KG: MT V&V specifies that vilani designs are seldom "User Serviceable", but in fact, completely sealed modular pull & replace units.

So, the Vilani ship & crew won't be able to repair the modules, but upon touchdown, replacing the module is easier than a comparable repair.

Originally posted by GypsyComet:
Only on the oddest of parent ships. The missing 30 tons is in the *middle* of the Cutter, and I don't recall seeing a "Collapsible Cutter" anywhere.
If you're willing to move away from the standard cutter, IMTU I use a 'stubby'. It's a fat little 20 dton cuboid which plugs into the back of a 30 ston module. This makes for quicker loading and swapping of modules, too, because you can store the modules seperately from the 'tractor' (what do you call a tractor that pushes? It's a pusher in terms of airscrews ...). They're not atmospheric IMTU, but if you use gravitics they work fine in OTU atmospheres.

The modules are also the standard shipping container IMTU. I envisage container ships which have a big framework cargo section, and the modules just slot in.

Originally posted by the Bromgrev:
If you're willing to move away from the standard cutter, IMTU I use a 'stubby'. It's a fat little 20 dton cuboid which plugs into the back of a 30 ston module. This makes for quicker loading and swapping of modules, too, because you can store the modules seperately from the 'tractor' (what do you call a tractor that pushes? It's a pusher in terms of airscrews ...). They're not atmospheric IMTU, but if you use gravitics they work fine in OTU atmospheres.
Interesting. If you use gravitics, I suppose you could go with a tractor configuration, with the Cutter proper as a 20-dton "nosecone" that mates to the leading end of the Module. Just dump the drive's waste heat of to the sides of the nosecone.

The modules are also the standard shipping container IMTU. I envisage container ships which have a big framework cargo section, and the modules just slot in.
Ditto IMTU.

"KG: MT V&V specifies that vilani designs are seldom "User Serviceable", but in fact, completely sealed modular pull & replace units."

Database updated.

My MT CD ROM is on its way.
[edit]
While I do like the idea of the other 20 launch bay I might just convert that space into a sickbay (4 tons) and four passenger rooms or a lounge.

Unfortunately the MT cd doesn't have the DGP copyright stuff on it :(

But if you want more info on the Vilani SJG's GT: Interstellar Wars has a lot of info that would still be useful.

Here is modification of G.C.'s plan:

http://www.geocities.com/danlatch_1/400TonV2.html

I have added an airlock with equipment room, a few staterooms and a common area.

I plan on introducing this ship as a “trade” for another ship they currently have. The staterooms are needed for the extra NPCs that they have in their company.

Any other comments are most welcome.

Ha, one hitch.

Sine the hardpoints are added at the time of construction no more can be added. The modular design system does not allow it. The same with hull armor (don’t ask, it’s a IMTU thing) and larger engines.

Very nice, K. Simple layout, simple lines; very utilitarian. Natural for a mass produced starship. Plenty of opportunity for "after market" upgrades. I like it!

heeh many reasons for lifeboats,

- why land on an unknown planet if u don't have to

- u come across a wrecked hulk in space and want to salvage stuff or steal off of it

- u are invited to a party on another ship is space whilst awaiting red tape to land so u and ur trusted friends hope in the enclosed airraft/shipsboat and head on over

- u land on a planet, and want to have ur own personal transportation so u can cruise the town picking up green chics or going to the unsavory sides of town, and u hate paying for taxis

- u sub contract out to do some exploration on a planet, u find a interesting site, it is in pretty thick canopy forest, so u decide to land 45km away and zip on over in ur airraft

keep it for the reasons above or ditch it and put in a hot tub and bar with a nice garden window.

kris

On the 400t ft, I don't picture your harried, business traveller/corporate trouble-shooter being happy about having to go through two other staterooms to get to his. Or having other passengers traipsing through his; particularly mid-sleep shift. Lotta potential for friction there. As a ref, that could be good, but as a captain or steward, it's just grief waiting to happen.

Back