• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A Day in the Life of a Traveller Gamestory

Interesting. I just read something about Worlds sensors picking up Jump Flashes. What a strange coincidence unless you read the same.

Feri might have it a little easier, but if I remember, the hostilities continue until the Eve of Rebellion in 1116. That was a good choice for an adventuring World.

Smithe has a refurbished ship (which is the one I posted in The Fleet). So I'm setting him on a mission for a Class II star system reSurvey (based on the MegaTraveller checklists) of one of the Regina subsector Worlds, just to try out the Core Update. I'm slow going at it, tho. And I haven't decided which star system. But I typed up some. Night be interesting, or maybe boring. I don't know yet.

Also, you've got e-mail. I think I did it right.

Interesting. I just read something about Worlds sensors picking up Jump Flashes. What a strange coincidence unless you read the same.

Feri might have it a little easier, but if I remember, the hostilities continue until the Eve of Rebellion in 1116. That was a good choice for an adventuring World.

Smithe has a refurbished ship (which is the one I posted in The Fleet). So I'm setting him on a mission for a Class II star system reSurvey (based on the MegaTraveller checklists) of one of the Regina subsector Worlds, just to try out the Core Update. I'm slow going at it, tho. And I haven't decided which star system. But I typed up some. Night be interesting, or maybe boring. I don't know yet.

Also, you've got e-mail. I think I did it right.
You did. :)

Might have been the same thing about world-scale detection capabilities, actually. Early on in the sequence I realized it would be an issue (I think it was in an exchange with Spinward Flow about Collector Drive ship tactics -- he thought the ship needed to park well outside the 100D limit rather than at it) but wasn't really thinking about it when I did the space combat writeup. It only came back to me while re-reading it.

The Feri war's going to be going on when the Joes and Vargr sweep into the subsector in a couple of years, before everything gets totaly wrecked by the subsequent canon Deus Irae ex Machina events. IMTU, I'd like the possibility of at least a truce, but I don't think that was what any of the writers intended for it. They also downplayed the governmental misfeasance aspect too -- there's something funny going on because the war should have been a curb-stomp, but there's apparently some outside support for the opposition keeping it going. Basically, it's there as a playground for mercenaries and smugglers, not a setting for diplomacy or cloak-and-dagger intrigue. And the static nature of Traveller canon freezes it into place (there's an ongoing war when you visit in 1105 as you start your campaign, and there's an ongoing war when you come back in 1107 just before the 5FW kicks off, and there's an ongoing war in 1117 when you check back in after the Rebellion and Virus and whatnot). "The War" is Feri's characteristic feature.

Nice ship layout there (and it's MgT, so has better capabilities than the CT version). Looks like fun! I'm looking forward to seeing how your scenario plays out in MgT2.1 (or whatever term for it that everyone agrees on).

Last edited:
Crossing the streams (from my Brainstorming Boughene thread):
Which, in crossing the streams a bit, means that the "day in the life" PC party is going to get an offer to do the (stars only know how long overdue!) annual overhaul on Annic Nova for free. General Products really wants a look at that technology! Mind you, in the end they won't get a whole lot out of it, except maybe giving Efate the ability to build "Early Collector-1" drives at some point. But it'd be worth it to them.
... because Boughene Station is General Products' R&D facility!

This stalls the campaign for a month or more (they'll borrow consultants from Efate who worked on the Navy's inspection of the ship -- that's one jump away). Maybe some strings get pulled to obtain a fast "loaner" ship so they can get down to Victoria/Lanth and get the "find survivors, if any" task off their plate before GP gets done with the overhaul.

Doing so allows cropping the crew down to the core personnel for the search, simplifying the writing task.

Edit: The original JTAS writeup set the overhaul duration at 1D+1 weeks.

Last edited:
Doing so allows cropping the crew down to the core personnel for the search, simplifying the writing task.
And this raises another issue: they're rapidly running out of core personnel! Of the original crew that found the ship, only Puch, Cardosa, and Doen remain. The computer tech died of plague, the former chief engineer bailed out at Feri, and Smithe took off in his scout ship in search of adventure. Everyone else was hired on or assigned to the ship. Miss Ketonic has an interest in going along to Victoria, though (and she can take Doc's place as the IISS "overseer" of the mission -- but her interests might not be quite the same as those of the IISS).

And Doen, being COTCO (Church of the Chosen Ones), might have his own (or someone else's) agenda. Victoria has a known (albeit picked-over) Ancients site, and Annic Nova's visit there might have some connection with that. . .

Now that I've got MgT2.1(?) it might be worth the effort to reconstruct (not really roll-up, per se -- just walk through chargen to produce them as-written) the core characters under those rules.

Last edited:
Maybe some strings get pulled to obtain a fast "loaner" ship so they can get down to Victoria/Lanth and get the "find survivors, if any" task off their plate before GP gets done with the overhaul.
Victoria/Lanth is a pretty long haul from Boughene/Regina. You're talking 14 parsecs one way (minimum!).

Even with 1D+1=7 weeks, you're talking about needing to transit (at least) 14 parsecs rimward in 3 weeks (so, basically Jump-5) so as to spend 1 week at Victoria "doing stuffs" before turning around and hauling back on up to Boughene for 3 weeks (so Jump-5 again) in order to get back in time when the annual maintenance finishes 7 weeks after starting.

This does not sound like something that will be "doable" with a loaner starship.
Maybe with a Fleet Courier out of LBB S9 ... but short of that, probably not. Victoria is simply too far away from Boughene for that idea to be practical ... unless if people don't mind taking 6 months instead of 6 weeks on the round trip from Boughene to Victoria and back again.

Victoria/Lanth is a pretty long haul from Boughene/Regina. You're talking 14 parsecs one way (minimum!).

Even with 1D+1=7 weeks, you're talking about needing to transit (at least) 14 parsecs rimward in 3 weeks (so, basically Jump-5) so as to spend 1 week at Victoria "doing stuffs" before turning around and hauling back on up to Boughene for 3 weeks (so Jump-5 again) in order to get back in time when the annual maintenance finishes 7 weeks after starting.

This does not sound like something that will be "doable" with a loaner starship.
Maybe with a Fleet Courier out of LBB S9 ... but short of that, probably not. Victoria is simply too far away from Boughene for that idea to be practical ... unless if people don't mind taking 6 months instead of 6 weeks on the round trip from Boughene to Victoria and back again.
Was thinking Jump-4 or -5 (a small J-4 would be easy in HG or marginal in LBB2 at TL-13; J-5 needs to be a bit bigger in LBB2 and is impossible in HG at that TL). I already have a decent TL-13 J-5 ship in the Shugushaag series, but that'd take almost the entire crew from the Nova for manning. Cuts the time needed, but not the cast size.

The solar powered starship would take several months each way unless I cheat (it IS overdue maintenance, and you know what that does to the rolls in LBB2...)

Last edited:
but that'd take almost the entire crew from the Nova for manning.
If the Annic Nova is stuck in drydock at the shipyard undergoing a long overdue millennial annual maintenance somewhere (like, say ... Boughene), wouldn't that cast/crew be sitting around twiddling their thumbs the whole time waiting for the Annic Nova to finish maintenance/SLEP (service life extension program) ... which could potentially take months(!) depending on what the maintenance crews find (and learn in the process).

If the Annic Nova is stuck in drydock at the shipyard undergoing a long overdue millennial annual maintenance somewhere (like, say ... Boughene), wouldn't that cast/crew be sitting around twiddling their thumbs the whole time waiting for the Annic Nova to finish maintenance/SLEP (service life extension program) ... which could potentially take months(!) depending on what the maintenance crews find (and learn in the process).
Ah, so you've figured out why I was working out the details of Boughene Station. :)

Well, that and wanting to play out its domestic and regional politics using Dame Irshinri as a focal point. (And in game terms, as a Patron.)

From a narrative perspective, I want either a smaller cast (crew) for the long run to Victoria and vicinity, or a faster trip, or both. The Shugushaag provides the "faster trip" part of that. Still not sure why they'd have a spare one on hand at Boughene though, even if it was locally-built (likely at Efate) rather than having migrated from Collace/D268.

Something I kind of want to drop into the "Check out Victoria" scenario is a clue to the aliens' origin:

The star charts (in the AlienOS version) are wrong, sort of. The locations and characteristics of stars, and the locations of planets and planetoids are correct. Mainworld physical stats (size, atm, hyd) are generally correct, and when they're not they always accurately describe a different planet/planetoid/asteroid belt around the same star. The civilization-based ones (pop, gov, law, TL) are invariably wrong.

On the Victoria map box from DA1, there is also a map of that world's moon Albert, with the notation "Old Ones" (in their language). This "Old Ones" notation has also been added to a number of worlds in the star charts for Lanth and Rhylanor subsectors which contain known Ancients sites.
There is also such a notation for Ylaven/Lanth (SM 1916), which does not have a known Ancients site, and for Fulacin/Rhylanor (SM 2613), which also does not have a known Ancients site. (tvtropes.org)

Last edited:
Story:
Week 4
121-1106
0937 ST
Boughene/Regina (Spinward Marches 1904)
Boughene Station
General Products Offices Module 16
Conference Room 4

"What do you mean, 'the accumulator imploded'?!"
The executive shifts nervously in his chair. "Captain Puch, we were disassembling it to perform the overhaul as agreed. You failed to let us know that the accumulator contained a pocket of jump space. Four engineering droids were destroyed in the mishap; fortunately, no personnel were seriously injured."

Across the table, Chief Engineer Doen fights to keep his temper -- ears back, hackles raised, and that's not a grin. He literally growls, "You did WHAT?! We gave you the translated operation manuals. There is a warning against powering down the accumulator! And an overhaul doesn't require it in the first place."

"Chief," I caution Zazudez while trying to preserve his image, "not yet." I turn back to the executive. "Pocket of jump space? What the. . .? That's Ancients tech. The Navy would have kept it!"

The executive looks to his technical advisor, who up until this moment would probably have preferred to be anywhere else on the station, but suddenly finds himself in his element. "The radiation signature," says the advisor, "was consistent with the collapse of a jumpspace inclusion. That's when a ship traps a bubble of jumpspace within itself when precipitating from Jump. Or it might have been a pocket universe, or just something incompatible with reality as we know it. Whatever it was, when the power was cut it vanished and left a hole in space-time -- a geometric point replacing several dozen cubic meters of space. The inner surface of the missing volume converged on that point almost instantly. Boom. Man, that'd make a neat weapon... "

I'm horrified. We were flying around with that in the drive bay?! Zaz, on the other hand, is shocked and awestruck -- I think it just hit him that he'd been maintaining an artifact of the Ancients, the very objects of his faith.

And I think the executive really, really wished that his expert hadn't mentioned the potential weaponization of the phenomenon...

Commentary:
Yeah, it's a dump of expository speech. Sorry 'bout that.

Reference (spoiler for any of my subsequent writing on this):
The expert's third guess was correct: it was "...something incompatible with reality as we know it" in the form a bubble of the alternate universe from which the ship originated, trapped within the high-energy containment fields of the accumulator. This was merely a fortuitous accident rather than something integral to the mechanism's design. In fact, the previous owners did not know it had happened!

That alternate universe has a slightly different set of physical constants, such that LBB2 '77 rules (and no later revisions) control ship design and operation.

The "Accumulator that can hold a charge for more than a week," therefore, cannot be replicated in the OTU. But, if one built an accumulator in the OTU, then somehow entered the alternate universe, powered the device down and then restarted it, and returned to the OTU, it would hold a charge for more than a week. Well, until it was powered down again, in which case... boom.

Commentary:
Regrettably for Chief Doen, it wasn't actually Ancients technolgy (but nobody knows that yet, and may never find out). We'll get to some eventually, though!

Yes, I have decided where the Annic Nova entered the OTU from its parallel universe. The path may not be reversible without some inaccessible technology, though.

Also, this is how I'm closing off the universe-breaking potential of the ship. It's not dead yet, though!

:cautious: "Aaaaaand how are you planning to compensate us for the damage caused by this mishap that CLEARLY goes against the translated operating manuals we provided to you as a result of your ... I believe the proper technical term is ... oh yes, reckless negligence?" :mad:

Commentary:
@ThePakkrat : Yes, I had the even-tempered Vargr almost lose his cool again. I justify it because he sees the operations manual as the writings of a higher-Charisma individual from whom he derives authority by association, and considers violations of black-letter text to be insubordination -- justifiable if it really IS a better idea, an outrage if it's not. And it very much wasn't, this time. Innovation is perfectly acceptable if the manual doesn't cover something, of course. That said, somebody else innovating in a way he personally wouldn't have chosen is problematic...

And it'll get weird if he finds errors in a manual (this may be a Vargr thing in general). If he knows better than the technical writers, he's going to second-guess them about everything! To be fair, at his skill level, he might well be correct in doing so. . .

Last edited:
Story:
Week 4
121-1106
0945 ST
Boughene/Regina (Spinward Marches 1904)
Boughene Station
General Products Offices Module 16
Conference Room 4

"We don't have the technology to replace your ship's Stellar Collector," says the beleaguered executive from across the table. "That's kind of why we took on the overhaul -- to learn how to build them." He sighs. "We can do the Jump Drives out of spares. The Collector will have to be a Particle Collector type, sourced from Rhylanor. And the best they'll sell the public is Collector-2."

"That's the type that can work in deep space, right?" I ask. "Fine. I'll take one. Let me know when you get it. In the meantime, your insurance should be providing a replacement. What's available?"

He replies, "It'll be at least 8 weeks before we can confirm if we can even get a Collector from Rhylanor. Just be aware that the 'replacement' might end up being permanent. Are you sure you wouldn't rather settle for the cash value of the Annic Nova right now?"

"Seriously? Right now, it's practically scrap! No."

"You know what I meant -- what it was worth when you brought it in."

"It was worth more than it seemed, but that's not important. I want it back and I want it spaceworthy. It's the principle of the thing. And about the replacement..."

The executive looks at his datapad, then back up. "Subsidized liner. Same tonnage, same jump range, and we have one to spare. Fair?"

I try to recall that class's specifications. "Unstreamlined and no fuel shuttles -- it'll need to rely on starports. That's a problem, since we're planning a research trip to some places that don't have highport facilities."

Zaz does some quick research as I speak, and adds, "Captain, the Nova's pinnaces won't fit in the cargo hold either, so that's not available as a work-around for refueling." He's back to his usual calm demeanor again, all business.

"Are you sure that won't work for you? We can arrange a subsidy route."

"I'm not concerned with money right now, and there's the research trip. It's not our first choice anyhow. What do you know about the Albatross?"

The executive's technical assistant fiddles with his datapad, then the executive quickly looks at his own, quizzically. "Well, it has an appropriate name. Third time in two years we've taken the title back. Makes sense though -- kind of hard to turn a profit when more than half of it's the fuel tank. We were planning to strip it for its drives if we can't sell it again." He pauses. "You're serious, aren't you. We can make it happen, but I hope you weren't kidding about not being concerned with money."

"It'll do," I reply. "Give it an overhaul and we'll take it. You can have it for the drives when you're done fixing Annie."

"Everyone wants a hot rod, don't they? We can tack on some cargo pods for you, it'll cover its costs on the Feri run with those."

"Feri? Not going back there again if I can help it. No cargo pods please, but thanks."

Reference:
Distant Merchant (Type M5): Using a non-standard 600-ton hull, the Distant Merchant is a long-range cargo transport. It has a Jump Drive-Q, Maneuver Drive-F, and Power Plant-Q, giving performance of Jump-5 and 2-G acceleration. There is fuel tankage for 350 tons, sufficient for the power plant and one Jump-5. Adjacent to the bridge is a computer Model/5. There are ten staterooms and eight low berths. One triple turret is installed, armed with a missile launcher, beam laser, and a sandcaster. There are two other hardpoints, each with one ton set aside for turret installation. There are no ship’s vehicles. Cargo capacity is 41 tons plus two tons storage space at the unused hardpoints. Two staterooms are available for passengers. The hull is streamlined.

The Distant Merchant requires a crew of eight: pilot, navigator, gunner, medic, and four engineers. Up to two more gunners may be employed if additional turrets are mounted; they occupy the passenger staterooms. The ship costs MCr408.2 individually and takes 24 months to build.

Note: The deck plan descriptions start at the end of the thread's first page. The original deck plans that they accompanied were lost in the October 2021 forum transition, so I re-uploaded them at the end of the thread. It's a little bit confusing.

Commentary:
Looks like the protagonists will need to find yet another engineer... and they've already lost their good navigator/trader. It'll be a few weeks before it's ready, so there's time.

The Albatross is about 20 years old, so it's depreciated below the estimated MCr300 replacement value of the Annic Nova (the Liner was newer). And yes, it's a Collace-built ship from the original production run. This means they're indigenous naval production (this LBB5 rule allows Collace's Class B starport to build it), therefore the drives are hardened to tolerate unrefined fuel. The sensors? Haven't decided yet if they're Scouts/Military grade, but they could be.

Last edited:
I think I've found our spare engineer. I just need to have him end up at Boughene Station, looking for work. Oh, and actually create the character in the first place...
The previous Chief Engineer quit and left the ship here at Regina Feri.
He'd caught a perfectly ordinary case of "planetside crud," and despite being diagnosed as NOT having a relapse/re-infection of the killer disease from when they found the ship, wanted off this d@mned plague ship RIGHT NOW. The overreaction was probably PTSD. Other than that, he left on good terms.
The NPC engineer/small craft pilot [Edit: Jones] is a new hire.

(This is how Doen got the sudden surprise promotion.)
(Edits for retroactive continuity, spoiler block's title added because I could.)

Last edited:
"It'll be at least 8 weeks before we can confirm if we can even get a Collector from Rhylanor. Just be aware that the 'replacement' might end up being permanent."
8 weeks sounds hopelessly optimistic.

Boughene is 16 parsecs away from Rhylanor.
jumpmap

At Jump-4 by private chartered courier, you're talking about a route of:
  1. Boughene (J4) Roup (J4) Djinni (J4) Pirema (J4) Rhylanor* = 4 jumps one way (not including maneuvering to refuel and resupply)
  2. Boughene (J4) Shionthy (J4) Paya* (J4) Risek* or Macene* (J4) Rhylanor* = 4 jumps one way (not including maneuvering to refuel and resupply)
* = Naval Base

Once the private chartered courier ship gets to Rhylanor, they need to place the order, get confirmation that it can be filled ... and then turn around and head back to Boughene with news of the confirmation of the placement of the order. For a Jump-4 chartered starship, I would expect that journey to take 10 weeks at least (figure 8 days per jump minimum, 8J4 required, that's 64 days right there, plus 6 days at Rhylanor to conduct business, total: 70 days/10 weeks).

Of course, once the order is fulfilled and the collector is obtained at Rhylanor, it's going to have to be shipped all the way to Boughene ... and that's going to be a LONG HAUL for that cargo.

How big is that Collector-2 going to be? You're going need to charter a starship with enough cargo capacity to haul that Collector-2 all the way to Boughene ... 16 parsecs away. That cargo hauler had better be Jump-2 minimum so as to get across the Porozolo to Fulacin gap, and at Jump-2 it's going to take 9 jumps to transit from Rhylanor to Boughene.
  • Rhylanor (J1) Porozolo (J2) Fulacin (J2) Kinorb (J2) Inthe (J2) Yurst (J2) Wochiers (J2) Enope (J2) Feri (J2) Boughene = 9 jumps
The logistics behind this one is just plain FUGLY no matter what you want to do with it, simply due to the distances involved.
  1. Jump-1 (1 parsec range) is too short to even leave Boughene for the Spinward Main, let alone get to Rhylanor on the other end.
  2. Jump-2 (2 parsec range) can make the trip, but it's a 9 jump minimum one way thanks to the arrangement of stars on the map.
  3. Jump-3 (3 parsec range) is a minimum of 6 jumps one way.
  4. Jump-4 (4 parsec range) is a minimum of 4 jumps one way.
  5. Jump-5 (5 parsec range) is a minimum of 4 jumps one way also (16 parsec minimum distance).
  6. Jump-6 (6 parsec range) is a minimum of 3 jumps one way ... but how much cargo fraction (if any) will be left over for transporting goods?
Out of those options, the combination of fastest/best cargo fraction for transporting the Collector-2 back to Boughene is going to be the Jump-4 choice (for a variety of combined reasons).

Such a transport starship would probably be a J4 freighter ... which potentially could be under long term contract to transport TL=15 supplies from Rhylanor to Boughene on a regularly scheduled basis, with the freighter just making repeating loops between Boughene and Rhylanor as quickly as possible so as to shuttle high value/high tech goods back and forth. Note that such a transport service would be able to shuttle TL=15 spares and supplies to the naval bases at Macene, Risek and Paya along the route and use Boughene as a "layover" point 1 parsec away from the naval base at Pixie and 2 parsecs away from Efate. Such a J4 freighter would essentially be tasked with circulating TL=15 logistics supplies for the Imperial Navy from Rhylanor to Macene, Risek, Paya and on to Boughene for marshaling before transshipment to Pixie, Efate, Jewell and Mongo.

You know, now that I think about the logistics of this situation more ... that sounds like and almost perfect use case for a Jump Ship out of LBB S9, p22 and using 2 cargo pods (950 ton cargo capacity each) to give the Jump Ship a Jump-4 performance profile. The beauty of such a solution is that Jump Ships operating as Imperial Navy logistics suppliers based out of Rhylanor could provide Imperial Navy TL=15 supplies for all of Jewell, Vilis, Regina, Lanth, Aramis and Rhylanor subsectors with staging out of Rhylanor (where they receive annual overhaul maintenance). The Jump Ships themselves could be constructed in the shipyards at Glisten, Mora and Trin (all Industrialized worlds) for assignment to Rhylanor as their home base for their circulation routes supplying naval bases in the coreward half of the Spinward Marches.

If Boughene is plugged into such a supply network as a "layover" replenishment waypoint, then there would be the opportunity to have the Collector-2 order shipped from Rhylanor to Boughene using that service.

In fact, I wouldn't put it past the oligarchs of Boughene to come up with such a scheme to exploit their "crossroads" location, location, location so as to entrench themselves into the economic lifeline for the Imperial Navy bases at Jewell, Mongo, Efate and Pixie without needing a IN base at Boughene itself (the IISS base is plenty and both Efate and Pixie are close enough that another naval base at Boughene would be redundant). 🎩

So if you want to revise your estimate of how fast confirmation of the placement of the order for a Collector-2 can be obtained from Rhylanor ... well ... there's your Silk Road answer. J6 Jump Ship(s) operating at Jump-4 transporting TL=15 cargo for the Imperial Navy from Rhylanor to Efate and Jewell.

You know, I'm kind of proud of myself for having come up with that answer to the problem. It "solves" a pile of other mysteries about Imperial Navy logistics needing to reach the frontier(s). 😘

8 weeks sounds hopelessly optimistic.

Boughene is 16 parsecs away from Rhylanor.
jumpmap

At Jump-4 by private chartered courier, you're talking about a route of:
  1. Boughene (J4) Roup (J4) Djinni (J4) Pirema (J4) Rhylanor* = 4 jumps one way (not including maneuvering to refuel and resupply)
  2. Boughene (J4) Shionthy (J4) Paya* (J4) Risek* or Macene* (J4) Rhylanor* = 4 jumps one way (not including maneuvering to refuel and resupply)
* = Naval Base

Once the private chartered courier ship gets to Rhylanor, they need to place the order, get confirmation that it can be filled ... and then turn around and head back to Boughene with news of the confirmation of the placement of the order. For a Jump-4 chartered starship, I would expect that journey to take 10 weeks at least (figure 8 days per jump minimum, 8J4 required, that's 64 days right there, plus 6 days at Rhylanor to conduct business, total: 70 days/10 weeks).

Of course, once the order is fulfilled and the collector is obtained at Rhylanor, it's going to have to be shipped all the way to Boughene ... and that's going to be a LONG HAUL for that cargo.

How big is that Collector-2 going to be? You're going need to charter a starship with enough cargo capacity to haul that Collector-2 all the way to Boughene ... 16 parsecs away. That cargo hauler had better be Jump-2 minimum so as to get across the Porozolo to Fulacin gap, and at Jump-2 it's going to take 9 jumps to transit from Rhylanor to Boughene.
  • Rhylanor (J1) Porozolo (J2) Fulacin (J2) Kinorb (J2) Inthe (J2) Yurst (J2) Wochiers (J2) Enope (J2) Feri (J2) Boughene = 9 jumps
The logistics behind this one is just plain FUGLY no matter what you want to do with it, simply due to the distances involved.
  1. Jump-1 (1 parsec range) is too short to even leave Boughene for the Spinward Main, let alone get to Rhylanor on the other end.
  2. Jump-2 (2 parsec range) can make the trip, but it's a 9 jump minimum one way thanks to the arrangement of stars on the map.
  3. Jump-3 (3 parsec range) is a minimum of 6 jumps one way.
  4. Jump-4 (4 parsec range) is a minimum of 4 jumps one way.
  5. Jump-5 (5 parsec range) is a minimum of 4 jumps one way also (16 parsec minimum distance).
  6. Jump-6 (6 parsec range) is a minimum of 3 jumps one way ... but how much cargo fraction (if any) will be left over for transporting goods?
Out of those options, the combination of fastest/best cargo fraction for transporting the Collector-2 back to Boughene is going to be the Jump-4 choice (for a variety of combined reasons).

Such a transport starship would probably be a J4 freighter ... which potentially could be under long term contract to transport TL=15 supplies from Rhylanor to Boughene on a regularly scheduled basis, with the freighter just making repeating loops between Boughene and Rhylanor as quickly as possible so as to shuttle high value/high tech goods back and forth. Note that such a transport service would be able to shuttle TL=15 spares and supplies to the naval bases at Macene, Risek and Paya along the route and use Boughene as a "layover" point 1 parsec away from the naval base at Pixie and 2 parsecs away from Efate. Such a J4 freighter would essentially be tasked with circulating TL=15 logistics supplies for the Imperial Navy from Rhylanor to Macene, Risek, Paya and on to Boughene for marshaling before transshipment to Pixie, Efate, Jewell and Mongo.

You know, now that I think about the logistics of this situation more ... that sounds like and almost perfect use case for a Jump Ship out of LBB S9, p22 and using 2 cargo pods (950 ton cargo capacity each) to give the Jump Ship a Jump-4 performance profile. The beauty of such a solution is that Jump Ships operating as Imperial Navy logistics suppliers based out of Rhylanor could provide Imperial Navy TL=15 supplies for all of Jewell, Vilis, Regina, Lanth, Aramis and Rhylanor subsectors with staging out of Rhylanor (where they receive annual overhaul maintenance). The Jump Ships themselves could be constructed in the shipyards at Glisten, Mora and Trin (all Industrialized worlds) for assignment to Rhylanor as their home base for their circulation routes supplying naval bases in the coreward half of the Spinward Marches.

If Boughene is plugged into such a supply network as a "layover" replenishment waypoint, then there would be the opportunity to have the Collector-2 order shipped from Rhylanor to Boughene using that service.

In fact, I wouldn't put it past the oligarchs of Boughene to come up with such a scheme to exploit their "crossroads" location, location, location so as to entrench themselves into the economic lifeline for the Imperial Navy bases at Jewell, Mongo, Efate and Pixie without needing a IN base at Boughene itself (the IISS base is plenty and both Efate and Pixie are close enough that another naval base at Boughene would be redundant). 🎩

So if you want to revise your estimate of how fast confirmation of the placement of the order for a Collector-2 can be obtained from Rhylanor ... well ... there's your Silk Road answer. J6 Jump Ship(s) operating at Jump-4 transporting TL=15 cargo for the Imperial Navy from Rhylanor to Efate and Jewell.

You know, I'm kind of proud of myself for having come up with that answer to the problem. It "solves" a pile of other mysteries about Imperial Navy logistics needing to reach the frontier(s). 😘
Commentary:
Yeah, I undercounted and forgot to include the return trip. Rhylanor/Rhylanor is 9 weeks away (XBoat from Boughene to Roup, Type S gas-and-go from Roup to Dhian/Aramis via Wochiers and Rethe, then back to the the XBoat line in Rhylanor via Risek and Jae Tellona). A round trip would take almost five months.

Though it's really only 8 weeks and a little bit to get there because the Boughene "Canary Run" to Regina/Regina cuts a week out of that.

Reference:
Canary Run: This project was established after the Fourth Frontier War by Dame Irshinri's father Zebulon, the previous Knight of Boughene. It's a J-6 messenger link to Regina at a 3-day cadence. This provides faster communication to the subsector capital than the 3-jump XBoat route or a 2-jump (J4+J3) alternative through Roup even when the latter run on daily intervals. The original ships were Israfil-class couriers (J6/1G, 400Td, TL-13, short-fueled*), five of which were built at Efate for this purpose with two serving as maintenance spares. (Why two spares? General Products knew they'd probably both be necessary at some point.) They have since been replaced by much smaller J-6 couriers sourced from Rhylanor by Duke Norris, who saw the value in this service.

Some high-importance message traffic from the County capital at Menorb is routed through the Canary Run, particularly when the transmission from Menorb aligns with the Canary's scheduled departure from Boughene.

It's called the Canary Run because the arrival of each courier is, in itself, the most important message it carries. In normal operation, one ship arrives every three days. In the event of a crisis (say, the Fifth Frontier War kicks off), the standby ship at Boughene carries the warning immediately; in the worst case the courier is prevented from departing at all -- and that's the message. Like a canary in a coal mine (or more precisely a warrant canary [Wikipedia]), the absence of a live canary is a warning of a danger that cannot be seen. Battle fleets are generally incapable of Jump-6, and would need at least 2 weeks to reach Regina from Boughene. So, at worst, Regina would have a few days, and possibly a week, to prepare for what's coming at them.

Meanwhile, the nominally-obsolete Israfils are staged at both Boughene/Regina and Pretoria/(Pretoria 0406) for a run that bypasses the XBoat network, thereby cutting months off the XBoat message time from Corridor Sector and the Imperial Core. It's only used for information of the utmost priority, such as the outbreak of war, Imperial succession or revolution, or total economic collapse -- otherwise, the couriers stand by at their staging points. Duke Norris at Regina probably has access to faster-than-XBoat communication with the Imperial Core across the Great Rift, but Boughene wants its own shortcut anyhow because, hey, you never know. . .

--------
* They work under my house rules, anyhow -- there's a thread debating this to death elsewhere on the boards if anyone wants to argue about it again. (The Israfils replace the engineers and medic with robots to make room for Size B maneuver drives and a tiny bit of fuel.) Otherwise, the couriers are TL-15 ships of about 150Td built at Rhylanor, leaving the narrative otherwise unchanged.

Other ships in the Israfil class include the Roland, Phillippides, and Jim Cantore.

(All links to Wikipedia. The last one is US-centric; you may need to search for that name plus "meme" for a full understanding.)

Last edited:
Commentary:
I'd originally planned to have Dame Irshinri loan our heroes an Israfil courier to get them to Victoria/Lanth (SM 1817) and back by the time the overhaul on the Annic Nova was complete. It'd also have cut down on the size of the cast of characters I'd have to write for -- maybe too few to do what might be necessary at the destination, but that could be worked around.

Then I realized that the General Products overhaul crew was going to destroy the ship's Collector Drive, thereby providing a pretext to stuff a Shugushaag into the story. I now have other plans for the Israfil-class courier...

Reference:
Canary Run: This project was established after the Fourth Frontier War by Dame Irshinri's father Zebulon, the previous Knight of Boughene. It's a J-6 messenger link to Regina at a 3-day cadence. This provides faster communication to the subsector capital than the 3-jump XBoat route or a 2-jump (J4+J3) alternative through Roup even when the latter run on daily intervals. The original ships were Israfil-class couriers (J6/1G, 400Td, TL-13, short-fueled*), five of which were built at Efate for this purpose with two serving as maintenance spares. (Why two spares? General Products knew they'd probably both be necessary at some point.) They have since been replaced by much smaller J-6 couriers sourced from Rhylanor by Duke Norris, who saw the value in this service.

Some high-importance message traffic from the County capital at Menorb is routed through the Canary Run, particularly when the transmission from Menorb aligns with the Canary's scheduled departure from Boughene.

It's called the Canary Run because the arrival of each courier is, in itself, the most important message it carries. In normal operation, one ship arrives every three days. In the event of a crisis (say, the Fifth Frontier War kicks off), the standby ship at Boughene carries the warning immediately; in the worst case the courier is prevented from departing at all -- and that's the message. Like a canary in a coal mine (or more precisely a warrant canary [Wikipedia]), the absence of a live canary is a warning of a danger that cannot be seen. Battle fleets are generally incapable of Jump-6, and would need at least 2 weeks to reach Regina from Boughene. So, at worst, Regina would have a few days, and possibly a week, to prepare for what's coming at them.

Counter-proposal for how to do that posted in the other thread (so as to not clutter up this one any more than necessary). 👉

Back