• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

A question on SETI....

PFVA63

SOC-13
Hi,

A week or two ago, I was looking over some info I recently came across on Traveller that had got me thinking about how the Vlani Empire was supposedly within a few parsecs of Earth for almost 900yrs before first contact was made and it got me thinking. I posted a question on the possibility of earlier contact by way of a mis-jump on another board here, but lately I've instead been thinking about the Search for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence (SETI) and whether either the Vlani or the Terrans should have suspected that the other was there before first contact was made.

I only recently dug my old Traveller stuff out of my attic, and I'm not fully up on some of the stuff that was published as part of Mega-Traveller, The New Era, GURPS, or T4 so my questions may already be answered somewhere that I just don't know about yet.

Anyway, though, on the one hand part of me wonders that if two advanced civilizations are located relatively close to each other, it would seem possible that they might be aware of each others presence due to electro-magnetic transmissions that each civilization makes, some of which gets radiated out into space and which might be detected by the other civilization.

As such, on the one hand it would seem to me that on Earth or whatever the nearest Vlani planet is, at least in present day, if there were an alien civilization within a few parsecs from here we might be picking up traces of there presence, provided that we are listening.

As I understand it, this is the kind of stuff that SETI (the Search for Extr-Terrestrial Intelligence) is looking for. And from stuff like the book Contact by Carl Sagan, I'm under the impression that one way an alien broadcast would be detected against the background of random background noise in the galaxy is that it would likely appear as a non-random sequence of signals.

However, I am an engineer (or more correctly a Naval Architect and Marine Engineer by training) and one of the things we learned in school as part of doing seakeeping analyses is that a random sea state can be approximated by super-imposing a bunch of regular wave patterns on top of each (each of which has a different amplitude, wave period, and/or heading). Put another way, what this implies is that if you throw a bunch of miscellaneous non-random wave patterns together they will appear as a random, confused mess.

As such, its got me wondering whether you can really detect the presence of an alien civilization by trying to pick up electro-magnetic signals that appear to be non-random in nature, or if all the radio communications from ship-to-ship and ship-to-planet, and TV transmissions, etc wouldn't just all combine into something that appears somewhat random anyway?

I guess an alternate thought would be to instead just look for areas of higher electro-magnetic noise than in other areas of space, as this could be an indication of alot of non-naturally occurring transmissions in that area, but this would assume that we know what is a normal amount of background noise and what isn't.

I know that I can try and look up some of this on the internet, since I suspect that there is a lot of stuff available on line, but I am also just interested in seeing what others here might think as well.

Anyway, just curious to see what others may feel on this topic.

Regards

PF

Last edited:
SETI is looking for a coherent signal that is intended to be detected.

Electromangetic bleedoff from radios, TVs, radar, etc. would be rapidly lost in the cosmic background static.

In Traveller terms, The Vilani at Barnard's Star didn't find the pre-stellar Solomani because the Vilani didn't have a radio telescope either broadcasting or receiving and the Solomani weren't shining terawatt lasers all over the place flashing binary code. :)

Best,
Will

SETI is looking for a coherent signal that is intended to be detected.

Electromangetic bleedoff from radios, TVs, radar, etc. would be rapidly lost in the cosmic background static.

In Traveller terms, The Vilani at Barnard's Star didn't find the pre-stellar Solomani because the Vilani didn't have a radio telescope either broadcasting or receiving and the Solomani weren't shining terawatt lasers all over the place flashing binary code. :)

Best,
Will

And why weren't they doing those things?

TRADITION!

Which just proves that, out here in the real world, what we have to do is what the Terrans of Traveller did: build ships, put human crews on them and go alooking.

Which just proves that, out here in the real world, what we have to do is what the Terrans of Traveller did: build ships, put human crews on them and go alooking.

... because nothing unites squabbling clans like a strong external enemy. :smirk:

And why weren't they doing those things?

TRADITION!

Perhaps a more disturbing plot hook for a "modern day" Traveller game might be that SETI is actually controlled by the Vilani; therefore we'll never know of their presence until their colonization plans are ready...

At a tangent...
I heard that a few years BC, the Roman Empire and the empire of the Chinese Han dynasty were separated by only 30 miles or so.
Either they didn't find each other, or their scouts thought "I see no flags, I wanna be home for Xmas!" ;)

At a tangent...
I heard that a few years BC, the Roman Empire and the empire of the Chinese Han dynasty were separated by only 30 miles or so.
Either they didn't find each other, or their scouts thought "I see no flags, I wanna be home for Xmas!" ;)

I wonder if that were two outposts, 30 miles apart, separated by horrid mountain ranges in worthless badlands.

Of course there were trade routes that led (eventually) from far East to far West...

Hi

Perhaps a more disturbing plot hook for a "modern day" Traveller game might be that SETI is actually controlled by the Vilani; therefore we'll never know of their presence until their colonization plans are ready...

Hi,

I like that idea. I just picked up a copy of "GURPS Traveller - Interstellars Wars" yesterday, which is a great source book for adventuring in the days from 1st contact until the fall of the 1st Imperium. In it the author's touch briefly on whether the US had pre-knowledge of there being something of interest at Bernard's Star before sending out the StarLeaper One mission. The book also notes that the life expectancy of Vilani during the 1st Imperium was about 130years.

As such, maybe a thought for modern day adventuring might be something along the lines of maybe if a Vilani ship were to have misjumped into the Sol system sometime in the recent past, and found themselves stranded here, since they are relatively similar to the inhabitants of this planet, maybe they decided to go underground and try to blend in while working to either repair thier ship or establish some form of long distance contact with the nearest Vilani outposts (by mean's of infiltrating SETI, NASA and/or other such organizations to occassionally secretly send out deep space broadcasts and then under the guise of SETI, search for responses).

Regards

PF

At a tangent...

More on the order of 3000 miles seperated the Roman and Han Empires.

Can't say I ever checked the story, and as I don't have a historical atlas to hand I'm unlikely to check yours either, but I'll mentally log the information as questionable, thanks.

Hearsay, eh?

Per wikipedia ("Han Dynasty"), Rome and China exchanged diplomats and traded goods. The short distance may refer to this event:

"By AD 97 the Chinese general Ban Chao had embarked on a military expedition as far west as the landmass encompassed by present-day Ukraine in pursuit of fleeing Xiongnu insurgents, and returned eastward to establish base on the shores of the Caspian Sea with 70,000 men and established direct military contacts with the Parthian Empire, also dispatching an envoy to Rome in the person of Gan Ying."

It is possible that the Chinese and Roman armies may have been a short distance apart - both fighting enemies in the area of the Persian Empire.

Hi,

I like that idea. I just picked up a copy of "GURPS Traveller - Interstellars Wars" yesterday, which is a great source book for adventuring in the days from 1st contact until the fall of the 1st Imperium. In it the author's touch briefly on whether the US had pre-knowledge of there being something of interest at Bernard's Star before sending out the StarLeaper One mission. The book also notes that the life expectancy of Vilani during the 1st Imperium was about 130years.

As such, maybe a thought for modern day adventuring might be something along the lines of maybe if a Vilani ship were to have misjumped into the Sol system sometime in the recent past, and found themselves stranded here, since they are relatively similar to the inhabitants of this planet, maybe they decided to go underground and try to blend in while working to either repair thier ship or establish some form of long distance contact with the nearest Vilani outposts (by mean's of infiltrating SETI, NASA and/or other such organizations to occassionally secretly send out deep space broadcasts and then under the guise of SETI, search for responses).

Regards

PF

Or, as a twist (if you want to play it with a scientific edge), the Vilani crew get infected with the "normal" Terran viruses, etc and the players have to race for a cure while getting some government agency off their backs.

Back