• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Rules Only: Adding new characteristics.

"Never underestimate the power of idiocy practiced in overwhelming quantities ..." 😱

"There is no such thing as FOOLPROOF ... merely FOOLRESISTANT ... and they keep making Better Foolsâ„¢ ..." :cautious:

Idiots can be just as determined as geniuses...

It isn't so much about stubbornness as it is about believing you can accomplish some task.
Ok, I’m suggesting by that mechanic the more skilled don’t believe they KNOW they can recover the situation.

Ok, I’m suggesting by that mechanic the more skilled don’t believe they KNOW they can recover the situation.
With a determination value, the more skilled have some idea whether they can recover the situation or not. The inept, clueless, and idiots simply think they can do it because, well, they can do it. Call it some variant of the Dunning-Kreuger effect.

The best part would be if you had a "luck" skill or value for a character too. Then you could have an idiot character who somehow rolled up massive determination and incredible luck. The character does the most insane, stupid things, and yet always somehow manages to succeed! A chest full of medals and promotions galore, as the dead bodies stack up all around him!

Think of it! The equivalent of General Custer on steroids who is the sole survivor of his last stand and victorious to boot! Then onto getting medals (plural) and a promotion where he's now able to do even greater insanely idiotic things!

R.15e02f54f216f3c0157e8c3381e352af

With a determination value, the more skilled have some idea whether they can recover the situation or not. The inept, clueless, and idiots simply think they can do it because, well, they can do it. Call it some variant of the Dunning-Kreuger effect.

The best part would be if you had a "luck" skill or value for a character too. Then you could have an idiot character who somehow rolled up massive determination and incredible luck. The character does the most insane, stupid things, and yet always somehow manages to succeed! A chest full of medals and promotions galore, as the dead bodies stack up all around him!

Think of it! The equivalent of General Custer on steroids who is the sole survivor of his last stand and victorious to boot! Then onto getting medals (plural) and a promotion where he's now able to do even greater insanely idiotic things!

R.15e02f54f216f3c0157e8c3381e352af
I guess, if you want to model satirical characters like Zapp or Irresponsible Captain Tyler.

Under my system just give them JOaT-6.

Or a new psionic power of reality manipulation, or if you aren’t trained your psionic strength IS your luck score. Subconsciously you’re tapping into it without knowing it. As you age it drops, which is why kids are lucky and adults are not.

Back