• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

*Another* System?

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Jeffr0:
Any game system that requires a spreadsheet is a ripoff.
I couldn't disagree more.

Good starship designs require huge amounts of detail, and a great many of their systems are interlocking, where a change in one area affects a change in another. Even for systems that are not interlocking, altering the ship still requires recalculations. Spreadsheets make this easier than a snap of the fingers.

If a "playable abstraction" involves fumbling around with pencil, eraser, and calculator for a few hours, I'll leave the abstraction alone.

If a "playable abstraction" means not having a good starship design system, then that game, whatever it would be, would most certainly be a "ripoff".

I can't remember how many SF games I've dismissed because they didn't have a decent starship design (or world/star generation) system.
</font>[/QUOTE]What specific design systems do you consider to be good?

Once you've got your designs made, what kind of games do you play them in?

Originally posted by Jeffr0:
What specific design systems do you consider to be good?
Well, the board I hang around on 90% of the time is a Traveller board . . .

There were good things to recommend about all the Traveller starship Design Sequences. They were, in general, a progression from the simple to the more complicated (From CT:Book 2 and ending up in FSS2 on one side, and GT's systems on another).

T20 is now, apparently, a merge of HG2, some parts of MT, and some FSS.

All of them did something that I personally hadn't seen before. They quantified, via a mechanic that all designs had to equally share, both general and specific performance specs for starships. No more did one ship merely mount 2 mega beam saber launchers and 8 point-defense vulcans, and the next mount 4 super beam launchers and a partridge in a peach tree. They were all built the same way, and it gave the appearance and feel of verisimilitude.

Once you've got your designs made, what kind of games do you play them in?
Now? None. I know exactly one person actually interested in playing Traveller.

Previously? In the early to mid eighties, I played a lot of Traveller. We even ran around in one of my small ship designs for a short while.

Do all the ships I design all participate in actual games (or would they if I played in or ran games today)? Of course not. Do those designs form the fabric of the background of the milieu? Yes.

As far as I go, I'm uninterested in a milieu that does not at least have the inklings of realization. The OTU has far more than that, but there are still huge gaps that are there for me to fill in as far as MTU goes.

So what you're saying is that the you're not going to be doing anything with your ship designs anyway. If you're going to have any fun at all with your game, it has to be in tinkering with the design system. If the system is so simple that some guy can whip up a design with a pencil and paper in less than 20 minutes, then you will not be able to enjoy that at all.

For you, the design system is an end in itself. It is a thing of beauty in its own right apart from any game that might be played with the results.

That's fine I guess-- I mean, whatever's fun for you is what's fun for you, I won't argue with that. This sort of thing has its place as long as world building is the primary thing you're aftwer, but IMO it has little to do with game design.

A game generally has clearly defined rules and objectives (often miltary or eoconomic or both) for two or more sides. If it is played solitaire, then one side plays according to a simplified sort of "program."

[...] but IMO it has little to do with game design.

A game generally has clearly defined rules and objectives (often miltary or eoconomic or both) for two or more sides. If it is played solitaire, then one side plays according to a simplified sort of "program."
I hate to tell you this, but I've never discovered any RPG whose "core" rules mechanics for PC-gen, skills, combat, non-combat, and advancement that I am completely happy with.

They all have their advantages and disadvantages (ok, the bad ones have mostly disadvantages).

Traveller, in it's various incarnations, supports tech and world gearheading better than any other game, IMO.

T5 will try to do good with it's "core" rules, but if past performance (in specific for the Traveller line), and in general (for the gaming industry as a whole), I'm not really going to be holding my breath (especially with the almost two year wait remaining). T20 is closest thing I have to work with right now as far as core game system rules go, and as I have loads of d20 stuff, would probably game with it right now. However, as I mentioned, I don't really have any players locally.

Now, as far as the "core" game rules goes, every single game has them, one way or another (even diceless Amber had some general rules for settling disputes based on PC stats).

What sets Traveller apart? I already mentioned it. Tech and world gearheading.

Is that all there is to the game? Of course not, and I never said otherwise. Are they major features of the game that go far, far beyond the core mechanics? Yes. Are they features most other games (most SF games, at least) lack and therefore suffer from? Yes.

d20 Starwars? Starship construction might as well not exist.

The Palladium System (yes, they did actually come out with a starship design sequence in one of the books)? Take a good look at it, it really doesn't compare.

Spacemaster? Eeeeek! We're going to need big spreadsheets!

Starfire? Excellent but highly abstract. Not "crunchy" enough in the fine details, although starship combat is a breeze and huge fleet battles may be conducted rapidly. Spreadsheets were eventually introduced to the empire building game in order to handle all the paperwork involved.

Star Frontiers? The milieu, "The Frontier", didn't have any "core" worlds that it was on "The Frontier" of. It appeared to exist in isolation. 20 years ago I glanced through Knighthawks and remember behing underwhelmed in comparison to the brilliance of CT:Book 5. Traveller (even without the OTU) seemed like a better option (especially with the limited funds I had at the time). I examined Knighthawks again much later, and decided it just didn't match my tech or world gearheading needs. (Star Frontiers also seemed to lack an exploration portion, strange, considering the name). And yes, despite all this, I also read up on all the old Ares articles about Star Frontiers, and thought a lot of it was quite interesting, even if not quite suiting my needs.

Space Opera. Forget it. The explanations and outputs of starship design were, in a word, clunky (or so I thought). I seem to recall an Ares article on "The Moon" in Space Opera (that Dragon's "Ares" section had a bunch of lunar articles, by game system, and one was for Traveller, I believe). Socially and culturally speaking, it was a polite ripoff of Luna in Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress, which permanently prejudiced me against the game.

Alternity? Don't make me laugh.

Trinity/Aeon? The setting never grabbed me, and there was no gearheading that I learned of (ok, I didn't poke my nose in all the books, it could have been there; but WW isn't know for their work in that area).

I'm sure I've missed a bunch. There was that other d20 space setting with, dragons, I think, that I was never more than peripherally aware of.

What does all this wrap around to? If I want to do my own gearheading, Traveller is the game of choice, and no other holds a candle to it AFAIC. It is why I'm so concerned about the future of these aspects, and the quality with which they will be treated in the approaching T5. For that, I will hold my breath, for no matter what happens to the supposedly "core" game mechanic (which every game has), I think will be what happens to the tech-building and worldbuilding system that will have a significant influence on the future of Traveller and on the commercial success of T5.

I can tinker my way around faults in the "core" mechanic. But once tech and world gearheading rules are published, you can't really tinker with them because then you've got something that won't match what anyone else has done. Who cares if you house-rule auto-fire systems from one game to another? The game still moves forward.

The same does not apply to tinkering with gearheading rules. But if one game is going on 50% jump fuel, designs will not cross over no matter what. A fleet built on my massed battery-fire rule could not be matched against a fleet built on the standard rules You can post your own variant designs all you want in an attempt to share your hard work, but no one else who isn't using your variants will be interested in it. Non-standard designs to not contribute to the fann-produced body of work that would otherwise support the game. The same goes for worlds. I've played (as several others have) with creating alternate UWP lists to include more and better information. But no one besided me can read it, and given a wideapread resistance to the UWP in general, I doubt more than a tiny handful would be interested in learning it (if any).

As for actual play vs. worldcraft: If I can manage to find Players and run a game (or play in game), that will be good to. But just because I'm not doing the later now, does not invalidate the rest of what I do. I think, if you probe far enough, that a great many of the most active participants in CotI and the TML are in a similar state of affairs.

Wow.

Ya know... when I bought my first Traveller products a couple years ago, it didn't say on the back cover anthing like this:

"Traveller is a game, but it is not meant to be played. Join hundreds of other Traveller enthusiasts today in not playing Traveller! Traveller: the leader in solitaire pseudo-gaming!"

A dozen books down the road, I said to myself, "wow... it's as if they don't expect anyone to actually play this thing!?"

Space Census 2000 and Interstellar Accountant is not what I imagine myself getting involved with when I buy a game.

I'm glad you enjoy it, though. There probably wouldn't be any Traveller products if people like you weren't around.

Check the fineprint on the inside cover ;)

In all seriousness it actually says in the Introduction section of LBB1:
There are three basic ways to play Traveller: solitaire, scenario, and campaign.
If I only had £1 for every hour spent designing ships, rolling characters, generating worlds, making up houserules, etc...

Well if you want to get technical...

Your time "spent designing ships, rolling characters, generating worlds" really falls under the heading of work done in preparation for later group adventures.

The solitaire play that Marc was describing in Book I would be more akin to GMing a pretend adventure for yourself... and then using the various combat and trade rules to resolve what happens.

He really had no idea things would turn out this way any more than he knew that players would demand an "official" background setting.

Your time "spent designing ships, rolling characters, generating worlds" really falls under the heading of work done in preparation for later group adventures.
my attitude as well, but lots of people don't do it that way. as our esteemed larsen e. whipsnade has pointed out, there are people who play traveller and there are people who play with traveller. I think you'll find the second group the majority here. likely elsewhere too. traveller has a unique capacity for solo analysis and hobby design that no other rpg seems to possess. probably unintentional, but it's there nonetheless, and the game designers seem to be aware of this particular contingent of paying customers.

<snip>
A dozen books down the road, I said to myself, "wow... it's as if they don't expect anyone to actually play this thing!?"
I think I understand where you're coming from and so far as it goes I tend to agree with you. Traveller might profit from a careful pruning.

I started with the LBB's in '77. It was an incredible game and relatively easy to learn and jump into. When I look at the more recent materials I often wonder how difficult it is for people to digest the sheer masses of data.
I'm usually a 20-minute, pencil-and-paper type of designer myself. I think the concept is more important than the details. I mean, do I *really* need to know how many airlocks come standard on a 3000 ton hull?

But that said, I don't "play" Traveller anymore, either. I use it as the engine for strategic/tactical space wargaming. The game is nearly perfect for me in that role, providing a wealth of detail at my fingertips when I need it and allowing easy shifts between the strategic and the tactical.

Other people are caught up in the depth and complexity of system design. The Traveller line of products has no peer in that regard. I do detail design now and then, and I can understand why it has such a strong appeal. If you don't understand it as a game, try and understand it as a hobby like painting, puzzle-solving or playing a musical instrument.

Traveller is the only game I know that can cross so many lines of interest.

And while GDW may not have intended it that way, the solitaire playability of Traveller was recognized from the first. It has consistantly scored very high in that category; probably higher than any other RPG.
Solo may not be for everyone, but people have been doing it for nearly 30 years.

Wow.

Ya know... when I bought my first Traveller products a couple years ago, it didn't say on the back cover anthing like this:

"Traveller is a game, but it is not meant to be played. Join hundreds of other Traveller enthusiasts today in not playing Traveller! Traveller: the leader in solitaire pseudo-gaming!"
It doesn't say that because that's not the primary purpose of the game.

Pesonally I am not solitare gaming. At all. I don't have any PCs, controlled by me, running around in a dream version of MTU. But even if I did, there's hardly anything wrong with it. I'm milieu building, and Traveller turns out to be well-suited for the task. You seem to be upset by this (both that I am milieu-building, and that Traveller is suited for it), but that's your privilege.

Yes, they did expect people to play it. Many tens of thousands did so.

Space Census 2000 and Interstellar Accountant is not what I imagine myself getting involved with when I buy a game.
Then don't do those things.

I've run other, non-traveller games before, and I never included anything like those in the actual game. But in the fantasy campaign I ran a couple of years ago, I wrote a 200 page gamebook for it (80 odd pages worldbook; 120 odd pages additional info), and even printed copies and gave them to the players. I'd probably do the same if I actually ran Traveller.

I'm glad you enjoy it, though.
Thank you . . . although, in this case, I get the not so odd feeling that you're not actually happy for anything on my behalf . . .

There probably wouldn't be any Traveller products if people like you weren't around.
The above point is not valid. You definitely seem to be upset about something. Why not do something constructive about it rather than making statements like the above?

I played CT with my gaming group *a lot* from 1983 to 1989, then ran out of time as the real world of work and university came along. But in addition, I spent endless hours creating ships from Book 5, and characters from COTI, Book 1 and Books 4 and 5. When Book 6 came along it was a delight to create fully detailed systems, and Striker was just manna from heaven. We created house rules for blowers, supercharging, and turbocharging MHD turbines and internal combustion engines, and made some suder-duper vehicles which travelled in the player's starships around the trojan reach and marches.
And of course Book 8 was just great, creating robots of all kinds which were incorporated into our campaigns.
So gearheadedness and playing went hand in hand. Lately though, it is more gearheadedness and less playing. But I still play, with a hybrid CT/T20 ruleset (like T20 ships/ship designs with a HG combat system, for instance).

I played Battletech and Car Wars when I was younger, so I understand how gearheadedness and playing can go hand in hand. It was fun to work up the "ultimate car" or the "ultimate battle lance." I had friends that did the same. At the end of the evening, we would have an objective test of whose designs were better: COMBAT.

For me, the gearhead stuff was only fun because there was an ultimate standard of whether a design was good or not. You could look at Mike Montgomery's latest design and go, "man that thing is awesome!"

After a while, I noticed that we weren't playing so much anymore. I went crazy and started only using "historical units" in Battletech or my own "stock car list" for Car Wars. For a couple of summers, we spent a lot more time playing than we did designing and we had a lot more fun that way.

About that same time I "fixed" Battletech with a friend of mine. The weapons on the mechs clearly had different sizes than what was specified in the design system. There clearly wasn't enough room for the reloads that were specified. The Warhammer should have 6 killer missiles on top and the Archer should have at most one single reload. We retooled the designs and set up a game. The Warhammer's long range missiles took out the Marauder before he really had a chance to shoot back.

As a result of these experiences, I came to the conclusion that there's much more to making a fun game than getting the designs right. [Star Fleet Battles has done a great deal to make technologically distinct 'races' balanced against one another (as long as you can master the rules, of course.) They accomplished this blance WITHOUT a design system. Each ship design was hand crafted to conform to common sense and balance requirements. But that's another story....)]

I believe...

1) Design systems are best if they are small and accessible. (Also, it should be possible to use the designs without understanding the design system.)

2) The point of design systems (in the development of REAL games that are meant to be PLAYED) is to give the referee the ability to quickly make up more-or-less balanced units to fill out the ranks of his forces. It is a substitute for having to buy dozens of extra books. In the case of some games, it can end up being a substitute for actually developing a consistent background.

3) "Cracking" a design system is a great feeling for the munchkin that dwells within us all, but that really doesn't have anything to do with mastering real tactical or strategic skills.

4) A good design system is irrelevant to development of good games in general, however if you could contrive a situtation where players have to face both the tactical and the strategic consequences of their designs, then I think you would have a very unique and very fun game.

5) Most elaborate design systems produce either too much information or the wrong kind of information for game design. There has to be some way to derive a few simple numbers (enough to fit on a counter usually) that quantify the tactical, strategic, and economic qualities that directly affect the game.

What I can't stand about Traveller (apologies everyone my exposure is limited, this is just my experience, yadda yadda yadda) is that there's no way to objectively test the validity of the designs. There's no way that a "man off the street" can make good designs. There's too much stuff involving cannon or physics or background or whatever. And even if the "man on the street" can make something good, there's no emotional payoff along the lines of winning a victory with it in the arena. And even if you master the rules and get some people to play with, the rest of the community has moved on. They've got their own "home brew" systems that are soooo much better than the crappy stuff that ended up in print....

[getting psychological]

Yes. For most of you, this is Traveller's greatest strength. You love it. For me, I just want to be able to sit down with a friend that's never played this sort of stuff, and I want to play a game. I want to able to say, "we just played Traveller!" I want the light bulbs to go off. And I want to have that warm feeling that I have had a legitimate Traveller experience. The net affect of the online community on my subconscious is that anything I might do with Traveller is somehow illegitimate.

Now if you can come up with a game where the star systems you develop with First In can actually fight each other...

I'm probably not a good fit for Traveller, but there's something compelling about it that keeps me coming back to it. I'm sure there's a good game in there somewhere....

Edit: I'm saying this not to start a flame war, but to hopefully get some constructive criticism on the table before the T5 playtest gets too far along. I'd like to see the something in T5 that pleases Roleplayers, Gearheaders, and Mini-Game players more or less equally. I don't want to see something that gives the impression its only for experienced Gearheaders only.

What you've said makes a lot of sense IMHO.

Hopefully T5 will be designed as a state of the art role playing game first, but with the underpinning of a firm "gearheads" bible (this need not be complicated either - LBB2, High Guard, and T20 show that).

I'm with ya, Jeffr0. And so is Sigg, Piper, flykiller, and others, to a greater or lesser degree.

There are lots of tinkerers who like to tinker with Traveller, at different levels no less. And some times they come up with some nifty entertainment.

I've dabbled with detailed rules, but I keep coming back to The Traveller Book. As long as I can have something simple, I'm content. Even then I try to reconcile later stuff, for example to pull material back to the elegant but powerful Book 2 standard.

<snip>
I believe... (list follows)
Point-by point I went down your list and can't find a single thing to disagree with. It pretty much matches my own feelings.

What I can't stand about Traveller (apologies everyone my exposure is limited, this is just my experience, yadda yadda yadda) is that there's no way to objectively test the validity of the designs. There's no way that a "man off the street" can make good designs. There's too much stuff involving cannon or physics or background or whatever. And even if the "man on the street" can make something good, there's no emotional payoff along the lines of winning a victory with it in the arena. And even if you master the rules and get some people to play with, the rest of the community has moved on. They've got their own "home brew" systems that are soooo much better than the crappy stuff that ended up in print....
Well, there are ways to do this. They're not usually explicit in the core rules, though. When CT came out with High Guard it was followed up by Trillion Credit Squadron which actually provided an "arena" to put those sexy gearhead designs to the ultimate test; "Yeah, it's pretty, but can it fight?"
The boardgames, "Imperium", Fifth Frontier War", and "Invasion Earth" provided rule guidelines to simulate almost any level of interstellar combat. Almost all of their concepts could translate directly into anyone's own Traveller universe.
I don't know if the newer systems have any equivalent rules in them. (What's "Pocket Empires" like, anybody?) but even if they do, they might be too detail-ridden to provide the same effect.

The net affect of the online community on my subconscious is that anything I might do with Traveller is somehow illegitimate.
The first thing to realize about online communities is that they're primarily composed of people who join online communities. ;)
Places like this are great for sharing ideas and generating new ones, but you bought the game. Only you can decide what's legitimate for you.

Unsoliticed advice: Grab a few friends, a six-pack (beverage of your choice), some pretzels, and roll up a few characters.
Explore some ruins, get in a bar fight, crack a security system for a shady patron, or run a free-trader on the Spinward Main. That type of thing is what Traveller is best at, and what it was written to be.
You may find that some part of it reaches out and grabs you, if not, it's still a pretty good way to spend a few afternoons.

Sniff Sniff...

So glad to get that off my chest.

I feel so much better now.

<SIGH>

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />There probably wouldn't be any Traveller products if people like you weren't around.
The above point is not valid.</font>[/QUOTE]I dunno man ... ya sure?

Originally posted by Piper:
[...] (What's "Pocket Empires" like, anybody?) [...]
Pocket Empires is very abstract and high level. I think it's higher level than FFW (from what little I know of FFW).

It is an integrated system that combines social, economic, and military systems, and development of them (both good and bad), and the ability to go into conflict, one polity against another.

It's also quite extensive, and managing it's lists of numbers by hand would be, IMO, impossible (ok, it can be done, but I'm not the one to do it). It would have to be spreadsheet driven at a minimum, and would be far better off with a dedicated program.

RoS: I spent many hours in high-school (quite literally) generating Characters. Not to play them, but just as a form of solitaire game. Likewise, I took a couple of my MP characters and ran them solitaire on trade and commerce.

And there are several more options for the tinkerer over the years;
FASA-Trek had a ship construction manual.
Decipher Trek has one, too. In the Narrator's Guide, expanded in the Starship's book.
Both are less abstract than starfire, and more abstract than CT.
Mekton II, Mekton II + VDS, and Mekton Zeta all have multi-vehicle design rules... Mekton Empire, Mekton II + VDS, and Mekton Zeta all have ship design rules specifically. (Mekton II alone only does vehicles and small craft...) And MZ is in print. (MZ+ is also nice, more options!)

Car Wars was the archetypical Gearhead Game. Find a copy of the Compendium and Uncle Al's Catalog from Hell... and go gearhead NUTS! (CW is also easier to get new gamers into who are scared of RP... and can easily expand into an RPG... Oh, and using CT CG, each CW DP is 2d CT/T4 Damage, or 2 points MT damage... heheheh)

Web of Stars has a ship design system. Comparable to HG... although less realistic, more handwavish.

Worlds Beyond: Some schmuck's attempt at an ATU using BRP rules mechanics (sans license)... the Swarr are very clearly modeled off the Aslan as portrayed in Best of JTAS 1.

Champions/Hero System: Star Hero (3rd Ed Hero rules) had a nice ship design system... very much aimed at hero fans who were gearheads, and giving them something to crank over besides characters.

CORPS has VDS: all the options of GV, in half the space. You CAN build a modern SSTO with it....

GURPS has GV: Options for everything.

EABA: has a vehicle and a weapon design system built in...

and Classic Battletech: Less realistic, but still a gearhead's dream. With Battlespace, adds ship construction rules. Fairly realistic ones, too.... and complexity is similar to HG.

Gearheadism is, in fact, common in gaming systems covering SciFi.
edited to correct a CORPS reference meant to be EABA, by same author

Gearheadism is, in fact, common in gaming systems covering SciFi.
Endemic, even. No number of LBBs will ever fulfil the needs and desires of players and refs for More Gear. The advantage of a system that allows gear design is that new gear fits with canon. It also encourages originality in campaigns.

As more of a ref than a player, I have spent far more time in ship design, vehicle design, system generation and character generation than actually gaming. Even as a player, I've designed inordinate amounts of gear for my characters.

And enjoyed it. :D

Back