• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Hemdian:
New comment codes
-----------------
Cc = county court (or county capitol if you prefer)
Cd = duchy court (or duchy capitol)
C:nnnn = system's noble owes fealty to court at hex nnnn
<snip>
Regards PLST
Yes, I like the idea. But the comment space can only hold so much. Further, the comment codes would have to allow for referencing other sectors (as the Trojan Reach and Reft subsectors, I believe, report in to the Sector Dukes of the Spinward Marches and Deneb, respectively, unless I'm mistaken). </font>[/QUOTE]I know about the 'other sector' issue, the same issue applies to the existing "O:nnnn" comment. You could make them C:xxnnnn and O:xxnnnn (where 'xx' represents a sector code), but this makes your other point worse.

The only solutions I can think of for the lack of comment space is (a) allow word wrap within the comment block, or (b) use a really really narrow font.

Regards PLST

New comment codes
-----------------
<snip>
Regards PLST
Yes, I like the idea. But the comment space can only hold so much. Further, the comment codes would have to allow for referencing other sectors (as the Trojan Reach and Reft subsectors, I believe, report in to the Sector Dukes of the Spinward Marches and Deneb, respectively, unless I'm mistaken). </font>[/QUOTE]I know about the 'other sector' issue, the same issue applies to the existing "O:nnnn" comment. You could make them C:xxnnnn and O:xxnnnn (where 'xx' represents a sector code), but this makes your other point worse.

The only solutions I can think of for the lack of comment space is (a) allow word wrap within the comment block, or (b) use a really really narrow font.

Regards PLST

New comment codes
-----------------
<snip>
Regards PLST

Regards PLST

I sort of agree with Hemdian. There's as much comment space as you want, generally speaking. A 256-character row isn't a problem nowadays.

And for the "other sector" issue, I'd suggest using the ring/ray notation mentioned in The Traveller Book. But then, if fealty is defined as a (relatively) local thing, then it could just be a hex offset rather than a hard hex number. That would solve the problem too.

I sort of agree with Hemdian. There's as much comment space as you want, generally speaking. A 256-character row isn't a problem nowadays.

And for the "other sector" issue, I'd suggest using the ring/ray notation mentioned in The Traveller Book. But then, if fealty is defined as a (relatively) local thing, then it could just be a hex offset rather than a hard hex number. That would solve the problem too.

Originally posted by 313:
Once agin I fall in to old habits due to the fact that many people I game with are on nilly the same wave-length as I that we (of whom I am usalialy the worst ofender) can ocasnaily leave out assumed facts in evadence,
We all do that. And if our opponents agree that the assumed facts are, in fact, facts, then we go on to argue about the things we disagree about. But try not to assume facts that you can't back up if challenged. It's not alway easy, I know. I can remember 'facts' that I was absolutely sure I had from somewhere in canon, but were unable to provide quotes for when challenged. But you can't expect us to accept something as a fact if we don't remember them that way and you can't provide references.

...also on my numbers, I forgot to menchion that many of the colonists would be drawn from wider Aslan space (not just the Trans-rift populations) so given the structure of Aslan sicioty no one Treasury would be footing the bill, so the other implied beniefits would seam to make sence to a government or other large organisation (and since when have govenments spent money in a compleatily intleagent manner) I was just trying in my owen ham fisted manner to point out that it was posibale just highily Improbable.
Oh, I've assumed that all along. The economics of it still doesn't make sense. And as Daryen and I was talking about, some of the ihatei may come from the Cis-rift Hierate, but any regular clan forces would have to be drawn from the Trans-rift.

Hans

Perhaps this particular discussion (i.e., aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders) could fork off onto a separate thread, preserving this one for Joe to answer the other questions?
Sorry I haven't had time to read all 8 pages so this may already have been stated

My biggest peev is the timing. Look at the "Ripples in the Imperium" map in Rebellion Sourcebook. The news hits Home (capital of the Solomani Confederation) on 001-1117. It then travells outbound from Home arriving at the Solomani boarder at 24 parces away on 019-1117. 18 days later. That's three consecutive jump-8's each lasting only 6 days.

It's even worse with the Aslans. By the time the news hits Aslan space..
... and they can actually form ihatei fleets
... and they get permission to invade Imperial space
... and they start moving into Imperial space
The Spinward Marches would have had several months, if not a year to see this coming. And it still begs the questions, Why? Why would Aslan ihatei fleets invade Imperial space when there is so many more worlds in the Vanguard Reach, The Beyond and the Trojan Reach that would be so much easier. No large sector wide governents with the large existing fleets. It just doesn't make sence.

The last thing that bugs me are the "Safe" zones in Hard Times. The authors made nice little circles for each region for safe, then a area of frontier, then wilds. I don't buy it. Dlan is up against the Great Reft. There should be no Frontier along the edge of the Reft. It's just too hard and expensive to move a fleet all the way around Dlan, through the Reft to threaten the back side of Dlan. The Spinward Marches is a similar situation. Cut a line from the Corridor/Deneb rimward edge diagonally to the center of Deneb's Coreward border and you have a much shorter border to patrol then the one in the book. Also, with all the resources that Lucan had, his "safe" area seem too small.

-Swiftbrook

Just My Thoughts

Perhaps this particular discussion (i.e., aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders) could fork off onto a separate thread, preserving this one for Joe to answer the other questions?
Sorry I haven't had time to read all 8 pages so this may already have been stated

My biggest peev is the timing. Look at the "Ripples in the Imperium" map in Rebellion Sourcebook. The news hits Home (capital of the Solomani Confederation) on 001-1117. It then travells outbound from Home arriving at the Solomani boarder at 24 parces away on 019-1117. 18 days later. That's three consecutive jump-8's each lasting only 6 days.

The Spinward Marches would have had several months, if not a year to see this coming. And it still begs the questions, Why? Why would Aslan ihatei fleets invade Imperial space when there is so many more worlds in the Vanguard Reach, The Beyond and the Trojan Reach that would be so much easier. No large sector wide governents with the large existing fleets. It just doesn't make sence.

The last thing that bugs me are the "Safe" zones in Hard Times. The authors made nice little circles for each region for safe, then a area of frontier, then wilds. I don't buy it. Dlan is up against the Great Reft. There should be no Frontier along the edge of the Reft. It's just too hard and expensive to move a fleet all the way around Dlan, through the Reft to threaten the back side of Dlan. The Spinward Marches is a similar situation. Cut a line from the Corridor/Deneb rimward edge diagonally to the center of Deneb's Coreward border and you have a much shorter border to patrol then the one in the book. Also, with all the resources that Lucan had, his "safe" area seem too small.

-Swiftbrook

Just My Thoughts

-Swiftbrook

Just My Thoughts

To be fair regards the Trojan Reaches, Hierate Aslan clans already controlled most of the rimward half of the Trojan Reaches, were scattered throughout the non aligned human portion and quickly took the separatist Aslan Glorious Empire.

But, I agree, given the state of inactivity of the hierate Aslan in 1105-1115 one wonders why they bothered to go for Tobia as there are loads of viable non aligned and relatively primitive worlds in Sindal and Dpres to go for.

To be fair regards the Trojan Reaches, Hierate Aslan clans already controlled most of the rimward half of the Trojan Reaches, were scattered throughout the non aligned human portion and quickly took the separatist Aslan Glorious Empire.

But, I agree, given the state of inactivity of the hierate Aslan in 1105-1115 one wonders why they bothered to go for Tobia as there are loads of viable non aligned and relatively primitive worlds in Sindal and Dpres to go for.

Originally posted by Swiftbrook:

"Warning, Citizen! You have just uncovered the ultrasecret Tapdance Narwhal Prjoect! SolSec has been dispatched to your location!"

The Spinward Marches would have had several months, if not a year to see this coming. And it still begs the questions, Why?
Because GDW, God Bless 'em, had a knack for driving all of the events with the occasional disregard for any sense of reason. They made great games, but now and again they suborned all logic to the needs of the plot. They did it in the Twilight:2000 game, they did it for MegaTraveller. Kinda like in the slasher film, how the hero goes off on his own into the dark with a dead flashlight when they know there's a guy in a hockey mask and gardening tools out there - it's in the script, there's nothing you can do.

The last thing that bugs me are the "Safe" zones in Hard Times...
Yeah, that's another good one.

"Warning, Citizen! You have just uncovered the ultrasecret Tapdance Narwhal Prjoect! SolSec has been dispatched to your location!"

The Spinward Marches would have had several months, if not a year to see this coming. And it still begs the questions, Why?
Because GDW, God Bless 'em, had a knack for driving all of the events with the occasional disregard for any sense of reason. They made great games, but now and again they suborned all logic to the needs of the plot. They did it in the Twilight:2000 game, they did it for MegaTraveller. Kinda like in the slasher film, how the hero goes off on his own into the dark with a dead flashlight when they know there's a guy in a hockey mask and gardening tools out there - it's in the script, there's nothing you can do.

The Twilight 200 background always peeved me in Western Australia. How many people know for instance that Western Australia passed a referendum to secede way back in the early 20th century only to have it ignored.

Our constitution has in its preamble a nice note about an indisoluble union. (Which may be perhaps why New Zealand never joined?)

Having Queensland become part of New Guinea and Tasmania as an independent country was a bit much, but hey that's a different game

Back