• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Aspects of the Rebellion Era that snap people's disbelief suspenders

Originally posted by rancke:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
I didn't mean by warfare, I meant by politics. They'd go through their superiors for "decisions" of area-assignment. Long-term pressure would work wonders over the centuries.

In any event, that portion was clearly prefixed IMTU.
So it was. Whereas my comments was about the OTU. So I made a comparison between the two.

Come to that, the objections you bring up aren't problems in your TU, are they? In YTU Lanth is a county, and if you decided to 'open that can of worms', you'd be the one who gets to decide which counties are odd and which aren't. So why bring it up unless you thought your objections are valid in connection with the OTU?

Hans
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, rather than argue about clarity, how about turning the discussion around onto a couple of new questions?

How do we express such trans-subsector associations on a UWP line?

How would we display them on a map?

Personally, I always thought there should be both a subsector location column and a "managing subsector" column. In most cases, they'd contain the same data, but when they didn't, it would indicate the Jewell subsector situation, where Jewell Imperial worlds would show Regina as the "managing subsector". The trouble with this is, that in a tradition UWP, the subsector's name is a Header Line, and it doesn't take up any space on the UWP line itself. If individual worlds in a subsector can be managed by different adjacent subsectors, this means we'd have to cram space for an entire length subsector name onto the UWP, disrupting its compact nature. Hmmm, it bears thinking on.

This leaves open how it would be displayed successfully on a map.

I didn't mean by warfare, I meant by politics. They'd go through their superiors for "decisions" of area-assignment. Long-term pressure would work wonders over the centuries.

So it was. Whereas my comments was about the OTU. So I made a comparison between the two.

Come to that, the objections you bring up aren't problems in your TU, are they? In YTU Lanth is a county, and if you decided to 'open that can of worms', you'd be the one who gets to decide which counties are odd and which aren't. So why bring it up unless you thought your objections are valid in connection with the OTU?

Hans
</font>[/QUOTE]Well, rather than argue about clarity, how about turning the discussion around onto a couple of new questions?

Personally, I always thought there should be both a subsector location column and a "managing subsector" column. In most cases, they'd contain the same data, but when they didn't, it would indicate the Jewell subsector situation, where Jewell Imperial worlds would show Regina as the "managing subsector". The trouble with this is, that in a tradition UWP, the subsector's name is a Header Line, and it doesn't take up any space on the UWP line itself. If individual worlds in a subsector can be managed by different adjacent subsectors, this means we'd have to cram space for an entire length subsector name onto the UWP, disrupting its compact nature. Hmmm, it bears thinking on.

Hans

One could, in theory, carve out the counties and their associated worlds...

Canonically, the only counties I can PROVE would be the nobles for worlds which own worlds in other systems.

Then again, IMTU, the Marquisates are paralleled by the viscounties... a Marquis is a world's noble, a Viscount is the count of several minor worlds... and counties sometimes include vassal barons and marquisates.

Cannonicaly, we don't have much terrific evidence of strong nobles besides subsector and sector dukes (who can interfere with and/or borrow Imperial Fleet assets), and in the post 1100 time frame, the rising archducal powers.

take for example The Marquis or Aramis. He is well protected (his palace is one of the largest buildings in the cave, and there's a significant amount of rock overhead), but his governmental role is basically ignored in the Traveller Adventure.

I've never counted... does anyone know of any canonical counties listed in CT/MT canon?

Canonically, the only counties I can PROVE would be the nobles for worlds which own worlds in other systems.

Then again, IMTU, the Marquisates are paralleled by the viscounties... a Marquis is a world's noble, a Viscount is the count of several minor worlds... and counties sometimes include vassal barons and marquisates.

Cannonicaly, we don't have much terrific evidence of strong nobles besides subsector and sector dukes (who can interfere with and/or borrow Imperial Fleet assets), and in the post 1100 time frame, the rising archducal powers.

take for example The Marquis or Aramis. He is well protected (his palace is one of the largest buildings in the cave, and there's a significant amount of rock overhead), but his governmental role is basically ignored in the Traveller Adventure.

I've never counted... does anyone know of any canonical counties listed in CT/MT canon?

Originally posted by RainOfSteel:
I don't see any reason to do so. If you insisted, I suppose you could use the trade code section; it has been drafted to serve other purposes than trade codes before, but for that very reason there may not be room for more.

Another possibility is to use the alignment field. It would have to be on a separate listing, one that didn't need to distinguish between Imperial worlds and non-Imperial worlds.

All in all I think it would be best to leave the UWPs alone and describe counties in the text.

Possibly with color-coding. County borders would work if counties are contiguous (as I'd suppose that many of them were), but there's no reason why some couldn't interpenetrate.

Again, I'd say that describing them in the text that described the duchy they were part of was the way to go.

Hans

What Traveller really needed for some of these things would have been a Milieu Bible of some sort. It'd have been a living document that contained those little notes that came up as authors created their work and contributed to the canon, and essentially would be considered to contain all canon materials. Of course, with as many as have contributed to the OTU, and the great diversity and depth of those contributions, a "Bible" would have been very difficult to maintain over all this time.

If anyone does create an ATU that gets published, I'm hoping they do try to keep some sort of Bible going for their milieu, so that at least at first, there's a higher level of internal consistency, and the level of disparity is kept to a minimum.

Just a thought,
Flynn

What Traveller really needed for some of these things would have been a Milieu Bible of some sort. It'd have been a living document that contained those little notes that came up as authors created their work and contributed to the canon, and essentially would be considered to contain all canon materials. Of course, with as many as have contributed to the OTU, and the great diversity and depth of those contributions, a "Bible" would have been very difficult to maintain over all this time.

If anyone does create an ATU that gets published, I'm hoping they do try to keep some sort of Bible going for their milieu, so that at least at first, there's a higher level of internal consistency, and the level of disparity is kept to a minimum.

Just a thought,
Flynn

Just a thought,
Flynn

OK some of my statments from my last post where not self suporting within the post it's self and i am drawing from an almalugum of verous sorces from Classic through TNE with also adapting stuff from GT lots of little things sacterd over 30 years of game info. I would like to also point out that some of my clames are baced on ocasinal off hand notes in "fluff text" (and even cannon conterdicts it's self, even from the same author) eg. the TL 14 Trepida grav tank is stated as beaing "new" and beaing intrduced as of 1109 and the Astrin grav APC flowed it by three years (p.86-87 Rebelion soursebook GDW 1998) but to support the veiw that as far as the DoD lacking susficant high TL production capasity to support its militry needs then why dose Noriss have to run a crash development program to up the TL of DoD worlds (Reagncy sorcebook). the traveller adventure revolves around a consperacy involving the up-grade of the fleets in the spinward marches and occours around 1107(the itoms in question having bean shiped all the way from the core) their are lots of little things scaterd through the canon texts that lead me to beleave that although the Third Imperium looks like, acts like and mayby thinks that it is "the grate white hope".
it aint (just like the colonial era grate powers or modern day USA), its to large, coumbersom and corrupt to put on any thing but an allmost Inpertatable bluff, unless someone on the inside calls it, and on 132-1116 Dulinor called the bluff.
Travller has always bean a game of Secrets and mabu the bigist of Classic was that the imperium is not as perfect as the guys n' gals incharge (in game)make out.

Now as to the cold sleep question 1000Cr is the price of a "Low Passage ticket" the ship operator incures costs of 100cr to operate a low pasage trip this includes the inducement of hybernasion, hybernation and revival, this is fore short term (a week and a half to a month)hybernation on a moving starship carried out on a limited sacle (usualy betwean 5-100 soles) the costs of long term mass hybernation at a fixed lacation will be much less say 1000Cr per year per individual, now compeare this to the cost of having that same indvidual on welfair? For starters their is the "dole", then housing asstance and state sponcered health care on top of that that will easily come to more than a grand a year. and should the econeomy improve or a populasion decreasing event occour (deasease, famein, war or natral disaster) just thaw out the people you need (pluss dependents of cause) or wait for migrasion optuinitys (like the events srounding the secound civil war) it may seam a harsh way to deal with the unempolied but as someone who has bean their, beaing put on ice is a mutch more atractive propision than substiance living, the anguish and fealings of worthlessness that come with beaing long term whith out a job.

OK some of my statments from my last post where not self suporting within the post it's self and i am drawing from an almalugum of verous sorces from Classic through TNE with also adapting stuff from GT lots of little things sacterd over 30 years of game info. I would like to also point out that some of my clames are baced on ocasinal off hand notes in "fluff text" (and even cannon conterdicts it's self, even from the same author) eg. the TL 14 Trepida grav tank is stated as beaing "new" and beaing intrduced as of 1109 and the Astrin grav APC flowed it by three years (p.86-87 Rebelion soursebook GDW 1998) but to support the veiw that as far as the DoD lacking susficant high TL production capasity to support its militry needs then why dose Noriss have to run a crash development program to up the TL of DoD worlds (Reagncy sorcebook). the traveller adventure revolves around a consperacy involving the up-grade of the fleets in the spinward marches and occours around 1107(the itoms in question having bean shiped all the way from the core) their are lots of little things scaterd through the canon texts that lead me to beleave that although the Third Imperium looks like, acts like and mayby thinks that it is "the grate white hope".
it aint (just like the colonial era grate powers or modern day USA), its to large, coumbersom and corrupt to put on any thing but an allmost Inpertatable bluff, unless someone on the inside calls it, and on 132-1116 Dulinor called the bluff.
Travller has always bean a game of Secrets and mabu the bigist of Classic was that the imperium is not as perfect as the guys n' gals incharge (in game)make out.

Now as to the cold sleep question 1000Cr is the price of a "Low Passage ticket" the ship operator incures costs of 100cr to operate a low pasage trip this includes the inducement of hybernasion, hybernation and revival, this is fore short term (a week and a half to a month)hybernation on a moving starship carried out on a limited sacle (usualy betwean 5-100 soles) the costs of long term mass hybernation at a fixed lacation will be much less say 1000Cr per year per individual, now compeare this to the cost of having that same indvidual on welfair? For starters their is the "dole", then housing asstance and state sponcered health care on top of that that will easily come to more than a grand a year. and should the econeomy improve or a populasion decreasing event occour (deasease, famein, war or natral disaster) just thaw out the people you need (pluss dependents of cause) or wait for migrasion optuinitys (like the events srounding the secound civil war) it may seam a harsh way to deal with the unempolied but as someone who has bean their, beaing put on ice is a mutch more atractive propision than substiance living, the anguish and fealings of worthlessness that come with beaing long term whith out a job.

I'll leave it to Mr. Rancke-Madsen to provide the actual page numbers and quotes needed to prove you wrong. After all, he's the Imperial Librarian and has that stuff at his fingertips. Instead, I'll limit myself to a few of your claims:

as far as the DoD lacking susficant high TL production capasity to support its militry needs then why dose Noriss have to run a crash development program to up the TL of DoD worlds (Reagncy sorcebook).
Archduke Norris' crash development program dealt with raising certain DoD world's TL from 15 to 16. The Domain felt it should limit TL progression in order to conserve it's economic strength. When you factor in the need to support the Quarantine and X-Web, plus the naval building that had to occur, this idea makes some sense. A number of worlds could have reached TL 16 during the period but at an economic cost. The Domain prevented that from occurring by artificially limited the number of worlds that could advance to TL16.

the traveller adventure revolves around a consperacy involving the up-grade of the fleets in the spinward marches and occours around 1107(the itoms in question having bean shiped all the way from the core)
Sorry, I re-read TTA and found nothing of the sort. There is a naval build-up occuring and the IN has asked for and recieved a price ceiling on lanthanum produced in the Imperium. The 'itoms' I assume you're referring to are the meson guns being illegally diverted to Vargr corsairs by Arekut. Nothing - repeat NOTHING - in the text suggests those guns have been 'shiped all the way from the core'.

That was a secret? The first published Traveller adventure; Kinunir, has the Imperium holding political prisoners aboard the 'Gash'. If that's keeping a secret about the Imperium's true nature, GDW wasn't hiding it too well.

Now as to the cold sleep question 1000Cr is the price of a "Low Passage ticket" the ship operator incures costs of 100cr to operate a low pasage trip this includes the inducement of hybernasion, hybernation and revival,...
Prove that. Book, chapter, and page please.

the costs of long term mass hybernation at a fixed lacation will be much less say 1000Cr per year per individual...
We're not talking about hibernation at a fixed location. Hell, even you weren't talking about hibernation at a fixed location. You specifically stated on November 10, 2004 that:

... since the numbers of ihatei probaly numbers in the tens if not hundreads of bilions who have bean siting (and growing in numbers )in cold sleep for decades or more...
You flatly stated what I quoted above about the ihatei who were invading the Domain of Deneb. This isn't some simple plan for freezing the unemployed until such a time as there is work for them. You claimed that billions of frozen ihatei were shipped across the Rift, stored, and then thawed out when the time was ripe for invasion. That cannot work and it has been explained to you why it cannot work in the OTU.

Now, it may work IYTU and that's fine. All what you've made up, misunderstood, and misquoted may work IYTU and that's fine too. But none of it works in the OTU and that is what we are discussing here.

Larsen

P.S. As requested in your sigline, I left your quotes 'as is' out of respect for your ideas.

I'll leave it to Mr. Rancke-Madsen to provide the actual page numbers and quotes needed to prove you wrong. After all, he's the Imperial Librarian and has that stuff at his fingertips. Instead, I'll limit myself to a few of your claims:

as far as the DoD lacking susficant high TL production capasity to support its militry needs then why dose Noriss have to run a crash development program to up the TL of DoD worlds (Reagncy sorcebook).
Archduke Norris' crash development program dealt with raising certain DoD world's TL from 15 to 16. The Domain felt it should limit TL progression in order to conserve it's economic strength. When you factor in the need to support the Quarantine and X-Web, plus the naval building that had to occur, this idea makes some sense. A number of worlds could have reached TL 16 during the period but at an economic cost. The Domain prevented that from occurring by artificially limited the number of worlds that could advance to TL16.

the traveller adventure revolves around a consperacy involving the up-grade of the fleets in the spinward marches and occours around 1107(the itoms in question having bean shiped all the way from the core)
Sorry, I re-read TTA and found nothing of the sort. There is a naval build-up occuring and the IN has asked for and recieved a price ceiling on lanthanum produced in the Imperium. The 'itoms' I assume you're referring to are the meson guns being illegally diverted to Vargr corsairs by Arekut. Nothing - repeat NOTHING - in the text suggests those guns have been 'shiped all the way from the core'.

That was a secret? The first published Traveller adventure; Kinunir, has the Imperium holding political prisoners aboard the 'Gash'. If that's keeping a secret about the Imperium's true nature, GDW wasn't hiding it too well.

Now as to the cold sleep question 1000Cr is the price of a "Low Passage ticket" the ship operator incures costs of 100cr to operate a low pasage trip this includes the inducement of hybernasion, hybernation and revival,...

the costs of long term mass hybernation at a fixed lacation will be much less say 1000Cr per year per individual...
We're not talking about hibernation at a fixed location. Hell, even you weren't talking about hibernation at a fixed location. You specifically stated on November 10, 2004 that:

... since the numbers of ihatei probaly numbers in the tens if not hundreads of bilions who have bean siting (and growing in numbers )in cold sleep for decades or more...
You flatly stated what I quoted above about the ihatei who were invading the Domain of Deneb. This isn't some simple plan for freezing the unemployed until such a time as there is work for them. You claimed that billions of frozen ihatei were shipped across the Rift, stored, and then thawed out when the time was ripe for invasion. That cannot work and it has been explained to you why it cannot work in the OTU.

Now, it may work IYTU and that's fine. All what you've made up, misunderstood, and misquoted may work IYTU and that's fine too. But none of it works in the OTU and that is what we are discussing here.

Larsen

P.S. As requested in your sigline, I left your quotes 'as is' out of respect for your ideas.

Larsen

OK cost of cold sleep, LBB-2 p.7-8 starship expences:- life support overhead involved for an occupied stateroom is 2000 per trip (two weeks) for single oucpancy and now for a derect quote as pertains to low berths
"each occupied low pasage birth involves an overhead of Cr 100 per usage." pg.8 Traveller, Book 2, starships Second Edition GDW 1981. also found TTB page 52, neither source stipulates the length of cold sleep either dose the "Imperial Encyclopedia" on p. 89 where it repeats the same sentance for use with MegaTravller.

now to the "lack of high tech worlds" point the "side-bar" on pg. 67 of the Regency Sourcebook in my opinion tends to support the veiw that the DoD needs to build a stronger higher TL indurstiry bace, but that could just be my interptasion.

now my orignal (and ongoing) arugement was (is)Fairly weak but it was only to point out that if you play with the "Official" numbers (goverment , insiristry and the meida do it all the time to persue their owen agenders) than the aslan invasion of the DoD is posibale how ever Improbable.

OK cost of cold sleep, LBB-2 p.7-8 starship expences:- life support overhead involved for an occupied stateroom is 2000 per trip (two weeks) for single oucpancy and now for a derect quote as pertains to low berths
"each occupied low pasage birth involves an overhead of Cr 100 per usage." pg.8 Traveller, Book 2, starships Second Edition GDW 1981. also found TTB page 52, neither source stipulates the length of cold sleep either dose the "Imperial Encyclopedia" on p. 89 where it repeats the same sentance for use with MegaTravller.

now to the "lack of high tech worlds" point the "side-bar" on pg. 67 of the Regency Sourcebook in my opinion tends to support the veiw that the DoD needs to build a stronger higher TL indurstiry bace, but that could just be my interptasion.

now my orignal (and ongoing) arugement was (is)Fairly weak but it was only to point out that if you play with the "Official" numbers (goverment , insiristry and the meida do it all the time to persue their owen agenders) than the aslan invasion of the DoD is posibale how ever Improbable.

I don't see any reason to do so. If you insisted, I suppose you could use the trade code section; it has been drafted to serve other purposes than trade codes before, but for that very reason there may not be room for more.</font>[/QUOTE]Why not do it this way:

New comment codes
-----------------
Cc = county court (or county capitol if you prefer)
Cd = duchy court (or duchy capitol)
C:nnnn = system's noble owes fealty to court at hex nnnn

The way the last works is all 'normal' worlds owe fealty to their county court, and systems that are county courts owe fealty to their duchy court.

If you want you could extend this ...

Cs = sector duke's court
Ca = domain archduke's court
Ci = Imperial court

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />How would we display them on a map?
Possibly with color-coding. County borders would work if counties are contiguous (as I'd suppose that many of them were), but there's no reason why some couldn't interpenetrate.</font>[/QUOTE]One way is like this. (Yes, I know some of those borders are not canon.) Alternatively you could use dotted-lines for internal borders. (Neither addresses the issue if interpenetration.)

Regards PLST

Back