• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Beowulf class Deckplans - The Akhilleus

far-trader

SOC-14 10K
So, I've teased, threatened, hinted and such for years now... :smirk:

Still not sure they're quite where I want them and too busy at the moment to do the thread justice. I'll update here as able.

So here's my tonnage corrected deckplans of the (iirc) Book 2 designed Beowulf class Free-Trader based on the spirit of the SOM plans and Bryan Gibson's (?) illustrations of the interior from SOM. Unarmed, I'll see about putting up an armed pic sometime.

A bit spare on details, just pretty (eye of the beholder and all) pictures so if there's questions ask them here and I'll try to get an answer up asap.

ADDENDUM: I found some notes, a guided tour style introduction to the ship. I think they're pretty much up to date for the deckplans.

-------

Welcome aboard The Akhilleus. I'm sure you'll have a pleasant trip, let me start with a quick orientation of the ship.

You may have noticed the brightly coloured orange and red exterior hatches while you approached. Those are emergency escape hatches. The solid red one is the jump drive capacitor ejection hatch in case of overload.

The Type A has six configurable passenger staterooms on the upper deck. Three port side and three starboard. They may sleep two in double occupancy or two adjacent staterooms may be combined into a single suite. The beds fold up into the wall and ceiling to accommodate a table and chairs for day use, and each includes a private fresher and mini food and beverage unit. Storage in the room is minimal but there is a secure baggage hold on the lower deck for extra luggage. The small aft hold on this deck is for miscellaneous storage. At the forward end of the corridor is the lift from the main deck and access to the dorsal turret.

The lift from the upper deck exits in the lowberth chamber on the middle deck. There is a convenience fresher here for the use of lowberth passengers before departure and after arrival, as well as storage lockers at each end. Access panels within the lockers allows movement of bulky components through them if needed.

Aft of the lowberths is the main cargo hold and accessway to engineering. The cargo lift is also used for carrying cargo.

The upper engineering area is the jump drive and control station, with the tool and parts locker adjacent to the capacitor bank. Access to the lower engineering deck is through a floor hatch.

Forward of the lowberths is the common area with a large table and seating and full wall display screen for entertainment. To port of the common area is the galley and supplies locker/airlock. To starboard is the main airlock and ship's locker. Both airlocks are about 1.5m lower than the middle deck floor and have short lifts that can also be configured as steps or ramps to facilitate passage.

The crew staterooms open onto the common area. Typically the ship's medic uses the one to port while the remaining crew use the two staterooms to starboard. These two staterooms may be combined as a double size double occupancy stateroom if desired by the crew using it.

Forward of the common area is the ship's office and adjacent Captain's stateroom. And through that is the bridge.

The ship's computer is located below the bridge and is accessed by a floor hatch. The computer access doubles as a cramped emergency airlock from the bridge.

Accessed from the floor hatch in the common area is the cargo accessway on the lower deck. This has it's own emergency hatch and serves as an airlock to the ventral turret, passenger baggage hold, and lower cargo hold.

The passenger baggage hold can be set to many environmental conditions and used for special cargo instead of passenger baggage. It contains the access panel to the forward landing gear bay. The lower cargo hold contains the access panels to the aft landing gear bays and is flanked by the cargo airlocks. Each cargo airlock can quickly transfer up to 5tons of cargo through the rear facing door up or down the retractable power ramp or using built in overhead cranes.

Behind the cargo lift is the lower engineering space with a small tool/parts locker and external access to the rear. The twin powerplants and thrusters are located on this deck.

Last edited:
A colour graphic of the exterior of the Akhilleus, an example of the Beowulf class in service.

My take of the colour scheme in work done by Beech of CotI as appearing on the 2009 Traveller Calendar (August).

Akhilleus.jpg

Last edited:
Just a plainer version of same above.

Notes:

The red and yellow crossed circles are emergency hatches (explosive or manual) and not routinely used.

DorsalExteriorunarmedalt6-1.jpg

Last edited:
The upper deck.

Notes:

The gray square with the X at the bow end of the hallway is the lift to the deck below.

The white square just aft of the above is a maintenance panel hatch to the cargo deck below (not routinely used).

The crew baggage area has a wide retracting external hatch and can accommodate a small air/raft.

The passenger staterooms as shown are to describe the variety of configurations available. Normally they are 6 separate single staterooms but may be joined (any 2 adjacent) by a concealed removable wall section. In fact all the wall bits, fresher, and furnishings are modular and movable. Unused bits being stored, usually in the crew baggage area down the hall (being handy).

UpperDeck-Keyedalt5.jpg

Last edited:
The middle deck.

Notes:

The airlocks (passenger to starboard, baggage to port) are half a deck lower and have small lift/ramps to ease traffic.

The baggage airlock doubles as ship's stores, adjacent to the galley.

The lowberth area includes a fresher, the lift to the passenger deck above, and low pax storage to port and starboard (which also contain the emergency hatches).

Upper engineering, accessed by a small airlock, contains the Jump Drive and includes the workstation, engineering lockers, and capacitor bank.

MiddleDeck-Keyedalt5.jpg

Last edited:
The lower deck.

Notes:

The cargo access hall serves as an airlock.

The passenger baggage is isolated from the main hold and includes a small lift to the ground.

Cargo may be loaded/offloaded by retractable and articulated ramps (with grav assist), or by built in overhead crane through each cargo airlock.

Lower engineering contains the power plant and maneuver drive.

LowerDeck-Keyedalt5.jpg

Last edited:
Ventral exterior and cutaway elevation.

Notes:

In this version (still not sure about this) there are 4 landing pads. Only the central ones (fore and aft) are shown, while the other 2 are outboard centered in the scoop wing area. Originally there was no center aft pad. It may disappear.

It looks like I forgot to make the lower passenger baggage lift match. To be fixed.

VentralExteriorunarmedalt5.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you like :) (I think that was a "like" wow ;) If not don't spoil my self delusion :D)

Much of the credit goes to many others. Among them Marc of course for the game as source of all, W.H. Keith who drew it first in this form, whoever modeled the miniature from that illustration, Rob Caswell for the SOM-1 deckplans (mis-scaled as they are still a beautiful piece of blueprint art), and Bryan Gibson for the interior pictures in SOM-1.

I've not studied it in-depth but that looks absolutely terrific. Nice job, FT.

One minor niggle - the 'dashboard' in front of the pilot seat slopes upwards. Would it not be a bit disconcerting not being able to see forward when flying in an atmosphere?

I've often wondered if a bridge might be better on the underside of a ship (not on the Beowulf, obviously). Windows are next to useless in the vastness of space and I figure, they're more use for seeing where you're going in an atmosphere and particularly useful for landing. Sure you can use instruments but it's still nice to be able to see, purely for simple psycological reasons :)

Crow

Beautiful work, FT. I like the shape of your freshers. And all the iris valves have somewhere to go. Very well thought out.
One minor niggle - crewmen have to tramp through the captain's quarters to access the bridge?

I like the style, simple yet effective. Mind if I borrow / steal the style of deckplan? I commonly put too much shaded textures and things in to mine. Maybe a simpler plan technique would be better.

Hey, the Achilleus!
I love this ship.
That is the terrific work that Dan did for the webcomic that a few of us have been working on (or were until I let it come to a faltering halt last year - sorry guys).
I would love to resurrect the project now I have a bit more time (if my fellow creators are still interested).
Here's the exterior too as a teaser.

fta_cr10.jpg

And as mentioned there is another image in the calender, which you have all got by now, haven't you.
(& If not, why not.)

I've not studied it in-depth but that looks absolutely terrific. Nice job, FT.

Cool, a master's blessings :) Thanks much Crow.

One minor niggle - the 'dashboard' in front of the pilot seat slopes upwards. Would it not be a bit disconcerting not being able to see forward when flying in an atmosphere?

Would you believe... inverted approaches and a final roll to land once over the chosen spot ;) Possible but not the way it works imtu, though when I think about it...

I also thought about trying to work out a solution like the Concord and it's drop nose for landing views. The "cut lines" are there on the hull, I just would have had to move the forward landing gear back some.

Yeah, it's one of the things that bugs me some too. The whole bridge window thing. But what you gonna do. I have played with (other ships) the idea of a bottom mounted bridge, and one with a "glass" canopy with wide views, and even a core bridge with no direct connect to the outside. Each has it's interesting bits.

Beautiful work, FT. I like the shape of your freshers. And all the iris valves have somewhere to go. Very well thought out.
One minor niggle - crewmen have to tramp through the captain's quarters to access the bridge?

As noted, though labeled that way, the access bit is just through his adjacent "office", not so bad. Thanks for noticing the hatch/door details, it can be tricky finding space for all of them to retract.

I like the style, simple yet effective. Mind if I borrow / steal the style of deckplan? I commonly put too much shaded textures and things in to mine. Maybe a simpler plan technique would be better.

It's a balance I like between simple B&W lines (ala classic plans) and the full colour and texture reality (like Crow's wonderful art plans - I like them I do, just can't do them). For gaming tools simpler works (but full mini scale art plans like Crow's would rock).

By all means copy the style to your hearts content for you own use or sharing :) I doubt I could easily claim copyright on it if you wanted to sell your own designs in like style either.

Those are great! If you don't mind me asking, what program did you do them in?

Thanks again, one and all.

As for what they were done in, originally pencil and graph paper :)

...translated into electronic medium on an Apple IIc about a zillion years ago in ClarisWorks and then through AppleWorks/ClarisWorks on various Macs until a few years ago when they got converted over to Paint on the PCs. As a WIP it's been a long time tweaking bits and converting through various editions to come back to the CT version.

Still not sure it's where I want it but it'll do, though I've been thinking about tossing out the strict tonnage rules I used and doing it with the looser S7 guidelines. Could probably sneak the cargo side ramps back in with that, and have lots more space for a roomier feel. But I don't think a Free Trader should be roomy. Nor any working ship.

Back