• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Beowulf class Deckplans - The Akhilleus

As for what they were done in, originally pencil and graph paper :)

...translated into electronic medium on an Apple IIc about a zillion years ago in ClarisWorks and then through AppleWorks/ClarisWorks on various Macs until a few years ago when they got converted over to Paint on the PCs. As a WIP it's been a long time tweaking bits and converting through various editions to come back to the CT version.
Sounds like a labor of love... thanks for sharing!

But I don't think a Free Trader should be roomy. Nor any working ship.
Agreed. I like ships that tend to bash the occasional knee or sometimes snag a bit of clothing.

Very sweet indeedee.
I really like the layout, it really does a better job in using the space.

was hoping to click on them to get a better eyeball on them though. Oh well maybe next time.

Jerry

Very sweet indeedee.
I really like the layout, it really does a better job in using the space.

was hoping to click on them to get a better eyeball on them though. Oh well maybe next time.

Jerry

A bit late stumbling back to this. Thanks for the praise Jerry. The graphics aren't the greatest even in native resolution but if you right click you should get a better view or save.

Trader

I saw your original post. No pics, no links. Scratched head, walked away. Boy did I miss out on this thread.

Well done especially on side views & outside drawings!!!!

Questions

Unmarked room port side mid-deck by 5, large cargo hatch. Air raft?

Opposite location starboard. Air lock & Ships Locker?

Mid deck, same row as 6 is in there are two squares on extreme starboard & port of low berths accessable via access panels. What is function? Closets, fuel?

Imperial standard is 2.5m per deck with .5m for conduits etc, mid deck looks short, low deck looks fine but lacks conduits. Imperial standard established in Kinunir. So ship might be taller??

The window here is more useless than most but I agree psychological effect. I've never seen it mentioned but all windows need shutters to block view of J-Space and electronics like Trek view screen must give real as life view outside at any angle for landing even in 3-D holos on some ships I'd imagine.

I saw your original post. No pics, no links. Scratched head, walked away. Boy did I miss out on this thread.

Well done especially on side views & outside drawings!!!!

Thank you for the praise, you must have caught the thread while I was working on the follow on posts before they appeared :) Glad I updated it.

Questions

Unmarked room port side mid-deck by 5, large cargo hatch. Air raft?

A utility airlock/locker. Used for loading some crew and passenger baggage and personal items, life support supplies, food, whatever. Doubles as storeroom for some of same.

Opposite location starboard. Air lock & Ships Locker?

Correct.

Mid deck, same row as 6 is in there are two squares on extreme starboard & port of low berths accessable via access panels. What is function? Closets, fuel?

Lowberth passenger gear storage, and assorted lowberth accessories/kits mainly. Double as occasional access for moving lowberth racks on or off in bulk (during maintenance usually). My lowberth take is that the racks can be removed from the frame (for short durations) and a low-pax going further on will be moved out still cold and the ship they continue on swaps one of their empty frames (or another low-pax going your way) for it.

Imperial standard is 2.5m per deck with .5m for conduits etc, mid deck looks short, low deck looks fine but lacks conduits. Imperial standard established in Kinunir. So ship might be taller??

My own standard, .75m overhead and 2.25m open. Just arbitrary, or at least I can't recall exactly why I went with it ;)

The window here is more useless than most but I agree psychological effect. I've never seen it mentioned but all windows need shutters to block view of J-Space and electronics like Trek view screen must give real as life view outside at any angle for landing even in 3-D holos on some ships I'd imagine.

Yep, agree on all counts and consider that pretty standard.

Thanks for the questions and comments :D

Question, where and in what supplement is the standard deck height posted?

Good question. I'm not sure. I had a quick look in Kinunir and couldn't see it. The only CT reference I could recall off hand was Supplement 7 and I don't see it spelled out there at a glance through it. Just the diagrams, which if one presumes are to scale look to be about 0.6m overhead in Illo 2 (pg 6) which only shows one deck, or 0.75m overhead in Illo 3 (pg 7) which shows 3 decks (all 0.75m overhead). I think it's possible I may have gotten my numbers from that, another source referencing that, a sense of common building measure/experience, or pure blind luck ;) In any case I feel justified ;)

Thanks far-trader, if I remember a thread from long ago, that was the concenus then too. It was from a diagram that we all assumed was 'accurate'. :)

No problem, had the book out anyway :)

I'm vaguely recalling some similar details in the adventure with the lab ship (maybe?), and maybe some notation about the crawlspace height for the monsters to use and the PCs to squeeze into. Not handy though, may look later.

Ya gots to 'ave crawlspaces for the wee beasties! :devil:

Of course if anyone can point me toward an 'official' thickness of deck floors, I wont cry much ;)

Included in the 0.75m measure above, and from the same illos looks to be between 0.15m (in illo 2) or 0.2m to 0.25m (in illo 3). So maybe it's 0.5m open, 0.25m solid, and 2.5m clear?

EDIT:

Btw, I only figure that overhead in living spaces. Engineering and Cargo are open, with exposed conduits as needed in Engineering and full height open in Cargo for cargo of course.

Last edited:
Thanks Imperial Planetologist :)

I came across some notes for the Beowulf, a kind of short guided tour, that might help in describing the deckplans. I'm going to append them to the first post.

Deck height

But that may only refer to the Kinunir's normal deck height. It's only an assumption that this is common to all vessels.
Of course, it provides additional circumstantial evidence...

There's assumptions, and then there's assumptions. Knowing the Imperium has existed 1100 years in near Vilani tech stasis in which primarily drugs, metallurgy, illicit psionics and J-Drive are among the few things the Imperium seems to research. Why is it an unsafe assumption these cloddies didn't regulate deck height as standard in the Imperium?

There's assumptions, and then there's assumptions. Knowing the Imperium has existed 1100 years in near Vilani tech stasis in which primarily drugs, metallurgy, illicit psionics and J-Drive are among the few things the Imperium seems to research. Why is it an unsafe assumption these cloddies didn't regulate deck height as standard in the Imperium?

I didn't say the assumption was unsafe, just highlighting the fact that it is an assumption. It's up to the individual referee how much credibility he gives it. :)

Your guided tour looks good.

Thanks, but :nonono:

...I just started reading it and see it's an older one. Some of the notes don't match this layout. I got as far as the main cargo hold when I noticed. Gonna have to check and edit but I'm too tired at the moment. Later...

...think I have it fixed up now.

Last edited:
Back