• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Beowulf class Deckplans - The Akhilleus

Excellent graphic.

If it don't have deck plans it aint a ship...

Last edited:
A colour graphic of the exterior of the Akhilleus, an example of the Beowulf class in service.

My take of the colour scheme in work done by Beech of CotI as appearing on the 2009 Traveller Calendar (August).

Akhilleus.jpg

Not to disparage your work, and I know you're doing better at this than I am, but if that figure on the bottom is like 6 feet doesn't it make the forward window almost the size of a small drive in screen? Like about 20+ feet wide or so? Isn't that a little big for a window on a spacecraft?

Not to disparage your work...

No worries, especially when worded so generously and modestly. I don't mind questions or constructive critique in the slightest. I'm more disappointed when there's no reaction (is it that bad? is everyone doing something else? ;) ) and I despise myself when I can't comment on the work of others for the same reason.

...if that figure on the bottom is like 6 feet doesn't it make the forward window almost the size of a small drive in screen? Like about 20+ feet wide or so? Isn't that a little big for a window on a spacecraft?

You've got the scale right and I agree to a degree. When I drew it I was still weighing choices on that (and some other issues iirc). The standard classic version where the area is actually a cut out and the window is just the short vertical bit at the back. Or, what seemed more sensible to me aerodynamically, where the window is set flush to the hull shape over the whole area that is normally cut out. I went with the second partly because it was easier to show in my simplistic graphic rendering.

And iirc that area gave me the most grief trying to get "right" :)

For what it's worth I figure the short vertical window is still there as well, and the volume inside the area is sealed vacuum. And there are of course retractable full cover plates as well (as hinted at by the pax window shown covered).

No worries, especially when worded so generously and modestly. I don't mind questions or constructive critique in the slightest. I'm more disappointed when there's no reaction (is it that bad? is everyone doing something else? ;) ) and I despise myself when I can't comment on the work of others for the same reason.

You've got the scale right and I agree to a degree. When I drew it I was still weighing choices on that (and some other issues iirc). The standard classic version where the area is actually a cut out and the window is just the short vertical bit at the back. Or, what seemed more sensible to me aerodynamically, where the window is set flush to the hull shape over the whole area that is normally cut out. I went with the second partly because it was easier to show in my simplistic graphic rendering.

And iirc that area gave me the most grief trying to get "right" :)

For what it's worth I figure the short vertical window is still there as well, and the volume inside the area is sealed vacuum. And there are of course retractable full cover plates as well (as hinted at by the pax window shown covered).

Well, to try to help you out, as I've come to appreciate what a neutronium hard MFing bitch 3d modeling can be may I suggest subdividing the window a bit, and "arguing" that some of it it actually a transparent covering for things that use visible light, like a large area laser comm, a LIDAR unit, telescopic visual sensors, etc?

Maybe some of the window ha an array of telescopes behind it that work together to produce a very effective zoom view of distant objects, perhaps even letting you 'scope out' a landing site from orbit. Seems logical...

I must say this is the best Beowulf deckplan I've seen - the one in the Mongoose rulebook, for example, just seems *wrong*.

Does it match up with 200 tons (+/-10%)?

A.

Has anyone done the calculations?

<wrings hands in desperation :( >

My mapping is limited to measuring a box or a spheroid, and most fun designs aren't that simple.

A.

Sorry alveric, thought I had posted a reply to this, must have gotten lost in the ether :( Thank you for the praise, patience, and asking again :)

As I recall the shown tonnage comes to within 1% for each section. I think it's actually just 1ton over for the whole thing and I was aiming for no variance. I might even have gotten there (exact tonnage) at one point but I can't recall for sure if this is the one. However that doesn't include the fuel tonnage which is just handwaved as a fill the hull voids guesstimate. I think Scarecrow did a quick volume map of the hull for me a while back and found it significantly over 200tons but I couldn't make the interior fit and shrink the exterior any more than I have.

I'm tempted to do a Vilani version (i.e. box-shaped ;)), since that would make tonnage calculations very simple, but my artistic skills limit me to something on the order of CT level of primitiveness (maybe not even that), as my one venture into the field (the 400T USL merchants I created for JTAS Online) will show, and the response I got for those made it clear to me that people expect more than that nowadays.

Also, a box-shaped hull wouldn't be streamlined, so it wouldn't be a Type A anyway.

Hans

Sorry alveric, thought I had posted a reply to this, must have gotten lost in the ether :( Thank you for the praise, patience, and asking again :)

Many thanks for this :D

My own attempt at the Type A ended up with a simple two-deck box (with a rounded forward end) due to the limitations of my skills with 3D mapping. I think the total volume was right, but the cubage for accommodation just seemed *tiny*.

A.

PS - far-trader, have you done deck plans like this for any other Traveller ships?

Why do you say that? I thought it was a remote descendant of the Hero class, and IIRC the Hero was a Terran Confederation design.

Hans

Gurps IW has it beginning as a Vilani design that was adopted by the Terran Confederation. A mistranslation from Vilani to English made it the "Hero" after Vilani "disigshar" for "sandwich" which was originally a derogatory term for the ship.

Gurps IW pg. 206.

I myself accepted this, but found it somewhat unbelievable that the design would have been used for multiple mellinium.

PS - far-trader, have you done deck plans like this for any other Traveller ships?

Yes, for most of the classic character type ships, and a few others of the published ones and some personal designs. All to varying degrees of completion, and mostly mislaid over the years. None as complete as the Beowulf though. I keep meaning to (and have started a few times) collect them all together and get them finished and out there in some form or another but...

Back