• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Non OTU: Best City for the Apocalypse?

Best Cities 20 years after the Apocalypse? Why? Scenario?

• Total voters
With its wide variety of landscapes, ecologies, resources, freshwater, coastal placement, my vote is for Texas in the long-term apocalypse. It has been said before that Texas can do without the United States, but the United States cannot do without Texas. Hurricane Rita did more economic damage to the country than Hurricane Katrina when Rita gave the refineries a big, salty enema.

Given also that Texans have a de-centralized state goverment, a single hit to the capitol will not sink them. They love their land and their guns and you can have both when you pry them from their cold, dead hands.

Speaking of hands, they're strapping mine down for the 'conversion' right no-

<end trans. OENLAETSVAEG (Goekhnael 1938)>

Yeah. And the Titanic is unsinkable. :eek:o:
Asteroid hit. No more Texas just like the hole in Central America.
Global pandemic, no more Texas decentralized gov't.
Uplift failure - Enemy from within sneak attacks.
Tactical nuclear war. It's near the Gulf within sub launch ranges.
A new ice age. Massive refugee populations (100+Million) flowing south.
Alien Invasion. ID was shot there.

So, wasn't there a zombie film in Texas? ;) "Texas Zombie Wars" release is this year.
Should I continue?

All that being said, Houston is on the list. It offers a number of benefits to repopulate / hold up civilization!
In some scenarios, Galveston, could be a population hub seeding the big city.

Last edited:
I am just going to put it out there;

The Division.

granted it is only 2 - 3 weeks after the dollar flu .... but it lends a nice summation on what would most likely happen.

Looters - New Yorkers stealing to survive
Vigilantes - Group killing anyone with a sniffle
Riker's - escaped convicts taking a chunk
PMC - a group with guns, grabbing there own chunk
[Private Military Corp]

I am just going to put it out there;

The Division.

granted it is only 2 - 3 weeks after the dollar flu .... but it lends a nice summation on what would most likely happen.

Looters - New Yorkers stealing to survive
Vigilantes - Group killing anyone with a sniffle
Riker's - escaped convicts taking a chunk
PMC - a group with guns, grabbing there own chunk
[Private Military Corp]

Yep. What's that film? "The Road" Traveling from one location to another will become very high risk. People will be stuck in suburbs. Associations will become governments. "Judge Dredd"

10, 15, 20 years later the survivors will be left. Some may have been good people once, served their country with honor. They might let their guard down, they might dream of rebuilding civilization. Name the scenario, the city, and why it would be a great place to rebuild.

Name the scenario, the city, and why it would be a great place to rebuild.

In the 80's they were survivalists, now the are preppers .....
Ragnar Benson published many books ... on was on Urban Survival

Ragnar's Urban Survival: A Hard-Times Guide to Staying Alive in the City

with anecdotal stories about Grand Parents surviving in Germany during the Allied Bombing .... starving, gathering 'waste coal' in the train yards ... little bits that slipped from the hoppers ....
eventually bringing home chunks of asphalt to burn in the stove ...

many 'bombed out' buildings have basements that survive .... as long as they don't flood

In the 80's they were survivalists, now the are preppers .....

actually, it used to be the militia, and they were concerned with government black helicopters. never hear about that anymore, I guess now it's the militia riding the black helicopters ....

actually, it used to be the militia, and they were concerned with government black helicopters. never hear about that anymore, I guess now it's the militia riding the black helicopters ....

[m;]And that's more political than I am willing to let slide...[/m;]

Orlando - 17 years after the asteroid

Orlando
Experimentation with the Ceres orbit in an effort to shift it into Earth L5 went terribly wrong. The nuclear rockets failed to fire in the correct sequence and the planetoid sheared into sections. 2 years later when a Florida-sized piece slammed into what was once the China Sea, the "global extinction event" triggered a brief, unaligned, nuclear revenge response. As the dust clouds thickened across the world communications went silent. Having as much ocean as Earth, Ceres, fragments caused decades of rain as elements of the planetoid found their new home.
In Florida, Farmers rushed to save what crops they could and coastal areas suffered extensive flooding impacting fishing. Thousands of terrified visitors loaded their cars and scurried for home, flooding the freeway system turing roads like the 4 and 426 into parking lots. Those that chose to walk we're more successful. Calling out the National Guard was less than successful as the military suffered from motorcycle gang attacks and attrition.

17 years later, no one vacationing in the Orlando amusement parks thought it would become their new home. The regional hubs had adequate emergency supplies for a population of millions for months, but now in the wake of disaster there was not time enough. Many Florida residence, unlike other states, run to hotels in foreseeing a disaster so the mix of locals and visitors was like fire and water. Communities at D-World, U-Park, G-lord, the Airport, and numerous lakes and resorts, like Winter Gardens at Lake Apopka worked to stabilize their new themselves through the leadership of security teams by grabbing resources and National Guard equipment. The downtown city government was unable to stop the chaos and was soon over run by a multitude of biker gangs. Now these groups vary from 25 to 500 and regularly fight amongst themselves with any tactics. Wizards of U-Park have tried to start a peace summit on 3 occasions with the Stormtroopers of D-World, G Lords, Towners and others. Sadly, each occasion ended with a revenge war by one of the other gangs.

Pick your city(s), layout the scenario, describe your post-apocalyptic world.

Back