• Welcome to the new COTI server. We've moved the Citizens to a new server. Please let us know in the COTI Website issue forum if you find any problems.

Best Ship Names in your experience Part 2

Originally posted by Gruffty:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Maladominus:
Norwegian Blue

(IIS Fast Courier)
It is an ex-courier. </font>[/QUOTE]
file_21.gif

A few more:

Emerald Star (trader)
Argent Mistress (Trader)
Scurvy Dog (400 ton vessel, being used as SDB)
Silver Queen (A trader, made up just now)
Pretty Boy (A yacht, owned by a female noble woman, as the term "pretty boy" denotes a man whose looks outweigh his brains by far)
Lovely Girl (Also a yacht, owned by a male nobleman, seeing as "lovely girl," denoting a woman whose looks outweigh her brains, is the female corrolary to "pretty boy.")

In the CT campaign I ran from 2002-2004 the PCs started with one ship, a 300t custom free trader named Independence (a name not previously mentioned in this thread).

They had a 30t fighter, named Freedom (ditto) that they had in a 2-deck cargo hold with a large door.

They then captured a 200t Aslan combat scout, and named it Liberty (in the gigantic list that started things).

Later they captured a 100t ex-scout free trader (Paranoia Press design), which they named Stellar Wind (Plop101 came close on page 3 [post 21] with Starwind, but it is still unique).

Some collected from my campaigns over the years, both my names and players':

Merchants:
Sanctimonious Smiles
Sour Persimmon
Lucky Enough
Almost a Circle ("trying to make ends meet")
Taiga Dalyeseverniya
Three Legged Dog
Tote Bag
Busted Wagon Wheel
Old Grey Mare
Hangar Princess
Two Guys and a Spaceship

Warships:
Friction Welder
Fractional Distillate (together as "Fric and Frac")
Anode
Scheinwerfer
Reflector
Mary Havoc

Intel Ships:
Arc Trace
Fusible Link
Dial Tone
Erewhon

High Speed Transports:
Slick
Strela
Outtatime
C Stoff
Already Gone

I would think the most apropos would be My Black Hole in Space

Implying credits go in and they never come out... :cool:

Notorious is an Aslan-built "Merchant Raider" whose name translates as "Dangerous Toes", captained by the human Dinty Moore who married into the Aslan clan that owns the ship. It's a wild misfit, crew of many races.

D.

Based on something in the tail end of the second imperium, so they have more overt historical Terran references

• Frigates: Grace Hopper. Sally Ride, Tereshkova, Satitkit
  • Tranquility (a Kunang class merchant). Totally not a firefly.
  • Cuore d'Oro - merchant owned by Roslyn deFranche and piloted by Andrej Kaliman, also known as 'Roz and Andy' in free trader circles.
  • Sigmund Rosenblum - An armed merchant used covertly to support espionage operations. Cover identities include: Skylark, Chihiro and Illiad.
  • Empress Theodora - an A2 class trader
  • Conway: an ambulance ship (tail number: T18.5)
  • Vancian Magic: a yacht owned by a prominent mobster.
  • Khujo - a 'raptor' class warship that may be found derelict. Totally not a bird of prey.
  • Queen's Hubris: a pirate corsair. The captain may or may not be called Roberts.
  • Alhamdulillah: a merchant owned by an owner-captain on board. Most of the crew are muslim.
  • Kessler: A large merchant blown up in orbit, scattering a large quantity of space junk.
  • Pinkerton: a converted scout ship used by a bounty hunter.

Last edited:
De Ruyter: A Colonial-class cruiser that is always fighting in hopeless causes.

Magnus Ridolph: A Safari-class ship owned by a Galactic Problem-solver.

Bon Homme Richard: A large merchantman converted to a warship whose captain never, ever gives up.

Stephen Hopkins: An armed merchantman with a reputation to uphold.

Shenandoah: A raider that did not know the war was over, and now on the run from everyone.

Cachalot: A Safari-class ship whose owner only hunts the biggest of big game.

Jason din Alt: A somewhat legitimate trading ship that always, without fail, makes it rolls.

Captain: An experimental battleship that seriously misjumped on its third trip. Now sited only by ships with similar problems.

Erebus and Terror: A pair of old warships adapted into research vessels. Jumped off from their last base and never heard from again.

Fram: An early research ship, nothing fancy, but very, very tough.

Atlantis: A disguised merchant raider with a bad reputation.

Lizzie Borden: Someone took an axe to the crew and gave them a LOT of whacks. Not pretty.

Two ships I played with:

Star coffin: a scout whose "owner" (detached duty) was sent in dangerous missions during FFW

Sisiphus: Starmerc ship in HT setting. He helped clear zones from pirates, but as it left to another zone, the pirates used to return to the already cleared one.

Last edited:
Of course there is another Far Trader name in my sig.

The "Shipwreck" class - an unofficial designation of course - of passenger liners (Lusitania, Titanic, Andrea Doria, &c) which somehow were not at all popular with the ticket-buying public.

A series of Ore Carriers, named for the Periodic Table of the Elements.

Of course there is another Far Trader name in my sig.

The "Shipwreck" class - an unofficial designation of course - of passenger liners (Lusitania, Titanic, Andrea Doria, &c) which somehow were not at all popular with the ticket-buying public.

A series of Ore Carriers, named for the Periodic Table of the Elements.

To your "Shipwreck" class, I would add the "Morro Castle".

In high school days, my friend and I used to make up stories about the adventures of the Chickenlips. It's distinguishing feature is that the weapons point to the rear.

One of my ships, owned by a former Navy Officer, is the Spic and Span. The small craft are Spit and Polish.

Then there is Dalthor's Defiant Destrier, better known as the Threedie. The Threedie's small craft are Frick (Fast boat) and Frack (Air/raft).

I had corsairs named Rabble and Roust.

My favorite fuel tender is the Unparalleled Processor; her skimmers include the Hi-n-dri, the Diving Dervish and the Gotta Go.

I love Iain Norman's little ship name generator...

http://isnapi.azurewebsites.net/

just a few of the results in 10 seconds of clicking... some good, some wierd, and some downright scary

Smoothly Unjust Mersey
The Lea Of Physical
Clean Arable Phase
Contaminated Burned
The Fork
Middle Grease
The Wit Bastard Fibre
Firm Worth Currie
The Richly Dirty Scent
The Gesture
The Namely Marine Flux
The Fined False Tudor